Betts needs to play some 2B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: Betts needs to play some 2B

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pink hat?  Not this guy.  Been a fan since  Jim Lonborg, Ray Culp, George Scott, Joe Foy, Mike Andrews, Yaz, Tony C, Reggie Smith, Russ Gibson....

You labeled the wrong guy as a potential pink hatter.

2nd base belongs to Dustin Pedroia.

Betts is off-season trade bait.  Hello Marlins?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Then stop being an idiot.  If you want to shop Betts in trade this off season - shouldn't he play some games at 2B - which is his ACTUAL position?

What are you afraid of?

Mike Andrews didn't play 162 games for the '67 Sox, Mr Longtime fan

[/QUOTE]

Correct.  But who plays 162. 

I never mentioned 67... but I believe you're thinking of Jerry Adair or maybe Reggie Smith.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Pedroia has played 108 of 111 games at 2B.

Betts - the top prospect and 2B has not played a single inning at 2B.

Why does this make sense to people?  They are out of contention.  Let the Kid start playing at least 1 - 2 games per week at 2B.

Toe-head Jerry Adair?  Come on.  I brought Andrews because you were playing the goofy "long-time sox fan" card.

I don't care how long you have been watching - if you don't see the value in seeing Betts at 2B - you are crazy.

Defense.  It is still important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This thread shows you how untouchable Pedroia is from a fan's point of view...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dustin could hit 175 singles a year and still be a huge asset as the every day second baseman.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not denying it, and neither is Schumpters...but why is it a threat that Mookie play some 2b in this off-season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pedroia remains one of the top 2B in all of baseball, this is a ridiculous post.  His defense remains elite, and while he is having a poor season offensively it's only compared to his previous high standards.  His bWAR is still 3.0, ffs!

If you want to argue he should be moved down the lineup I could take you seriously, but otherwise it is just another of the complaining complainers complaining again.

[/QUOTE]

So you don't see ANY value in finding out how Betts would play at 2B - the position he has played his whole life; despite the fact that he is your top prospect?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Not at the expense of moving one of our top players and spiritual leader, no.  It's silly.  No team run by intelligent, highly paid baseball executives would do such a thing.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Even Yaz stopped playing LF every day in 1975 - but apparently Pedroia as the "spiritual leader" is not going to yield a single inning to our top prospect.

Insanity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It seems to me, over the years, Jeter didn't take days off until he was forced to take time because of an injury. He realized early on he was a player the team depended on. Why take Dustin out of the lineup when he's one of our best and most dependable players and he feels a responsibility to be at work every day?

Cal Ripken didn't take days off. Ortiz doesn't take days off on his own. Yaz didn't take days off. You're a baseball player. Most teams only have 3-4 spare players on the bench who are generally not as good as the starters, why would you want them playing unless someone got hurt in the game--every manager should do his best to put his best players on the field everyday--that's the only way you remain competitive.

I'm not a big Napoli fan--the stats say he is one of our top players--he should be someplace in that lineup everyday and it should be his responsibility to make sure he comes to the park expecting to play everyday.

Betts is better than JBJ/ Nava/ Bagaerts and WMB--those are 3-4  positions that could keep him rotating in the lineup everyday--convince JF of that--good luck.

Back-up catcher---Butler---is essentially a back-up catcher.

OF/ 1B---Craig---Injured -should be on the DL--BenC/JF--DL him we aren't going anyplace with him injured and he's preventing the team from being the best it can be.

Super-sub---Betts

3 B/1B---Middlebrooks--If you aren't going to play him--send him down to let him play at AAA.

Pedroia , Ortiz, Napoli, Cespy, Vazquez, Holt and Craig when healthy are our marque players;they are the foundation of the team. Until the other moving parts prove it, they are interchangeable parts. 

Bertts should not take any of Pedroia's opportunities to participate. If someone wants to see Betts play 2 B--find him on YouTube playing 2 B in the minors or in HS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

The Sox need to get Mookie some starts at 2B and have Pedroia sit a couple times a week.

They need to see how Betts plays defensively at 2B.

Pedroia with no pop left in his bat, can't be handed the job anymore.

[/QUOTE]

Pedroia isn't going anywhere.  And arguments that he "shouldn't ne handed the job" and that he should then be "traded for a frontline SP" are contradictory.

And really, not starting Betts at 2B is OK with me.  I'd actually rather Betts got a shot at CF full time. 

But here is the issue with not starting Betts at 2B.  Either the Sox are going to keep him, or trade him.  With his negligible salary he will have wider appeal than Pedroia.   And if he plays OF, teams only start one 2B per game, but start 3 outfielders, increasing his likelihood to be needed.   And I'd bet nearly every MLB team has sent a scout to watch him play 2B at some point in the last 2 years.

The only reason for him to play 2B is if you want to keep him there.  And I don't think the Sox do...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Schumps, this is why I like you posting. You bring up something that god forbid the Sox even remotely think about. If you are going to blow up things, do it right. There is absolutely no reason to think they couldn't trade Pedroia at some point for a top SP. Betts could be the future 2B, but in the Sox FO minds, you aren't even allowed to mention Pedroia and another team. It's okay to lowball, then trade Lester, not Dusty.

[/QUOTE]

Pedroia is under a long term contact, Lester isn't. I could write more but there really isn't any need to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dustin could hit 175 singles a year and still be a huge asset as the every day second baseman.

I'm not denying it, and neither is Schumpters...but why is it a threat that Mookie play some 2b in this off-season?

[/QUOTE]

It's not a threat, just incredibly stupid.

You play a prospect and sit a vet when there's a chance the vet can be outplayed and the prospect can fill the position for less money.

Anyone here think that Betts can outplay Pedroia offensively or defensively?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

Even Yaz stopped playing LF every day in 1975 - but apparently Pedroia as the "spiritual leader" is not going to yield a single inning to our top prospect.

Insanity.

It's not the way we do things around here Ghost - certain players hold their positions no matter what the team needs...thanks for trying though

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Insanity.

It's not the way we do things around here Ghost - certain players hold their positions no matter what the team needs...thanks for trying though

[/QUOTE]

The team NEEDS someone else at second? LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

And what if Betts is spectacular over there? Then what? I tell you what, puts the Sox in the driver's seat for sending a real star for a real topline SP.

[/QUOTE]

OK... your a Gm on another team and Sox want to dump Dustin. Here Take a player who you says sucks and give us a topline pitcher? Do you think before you post stupid things like that? Question... You call Dustin a real star and he sucks ? Which is it ?....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if you are rebuilding the team, which Ben is, and you need to maximize your trading chips for the offseason, you play your prospects in positions that provide the most potential for deals - Betts is a 2B - play him there a few games a week and a few games in the outfield - it gives GMs a chance to factor him into some role...

Pedroia is the heart and soul of the team but the fact is that the only thing he can do at this point is bring up his individual stats now when it least matters to the team...Ghost is 100% correct

As always - 100% correct!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

if you are rebuilding the team, which Ben is, and you need to maximize your trading chips for the offseason, you play your prospects in positions that provide the most potential for deals - Betts is a 2B - play him there a few games a week and a few games in the outfield - it gives GMs a chance to factor him into some role...

Pedroia is the heart and soul of the team but the fact is that the only thing he can do at this point is bring up his individual stats now when it least matters to the team...Ghost is 100% correct

[/QUOTE]

Betts playing a handful of games at 2nd is not going to significantly improve his trading value.

It's still a dumb idea.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Betts playing a handful of games at 2nd is not going to significantly improve his trading value.

It's still a dumb idea.

[/QUOTE]

what do you have to lose? We left Webster to get pounded for three innings and lose the game for us and thats OK but putting Betts at 2B to see how he does is not useful? 

i guess some players really are untouchable...Pedroia will still have time to pad his stats and make it seem like he has had a decent year - just not everygame

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I felt Jon Lester was just as valuable to the Sox as Pedroia...You can argue till the turtle returns home from the lake as to a position player v. a SP, but I'm thoroughly fascinated at how untouchable Pedroia is how it was so easy for fans to dismiss Lester via his trade. Why is Pedroia so protected here? It was just like Youkilis when he should have been dealt. He was slipping offensively and the Sox felt that he should play 3b so that AGON could be signed for a longterm contract. They dismissed the prospect of instead signing ABeltre. Youkilis was a DirtDog and he was untouchable, and then he got hurt and stopped producing, and Middlebrooks showed up. Betts is no Pedroia? You can't make any assessment based on Betts never playing 2b in MLB yet. Pedroia has 42 RBI this year and finally hit his 5th home run last night. All Schumps did in this thread was bring up an idea to allow Mookie play his natural positon, and it's turned into we are dumping on Pedroia thread....all that says is that Sox fans have massive double standards in regard to who their favorites are, and the Sox organization has made it clear that certain players are untouchable and other stars can be dealt at a moment's notice--Lester.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Amazing how fast everyone runs to protect Pedey...To his credit, that says a lot about the fan base. He is the Sox fan favorite. Nomar was too, did same stuff Pedey did but more so on the offensive side--although he played solid defense for most of his Sox career till breaking down physically. Nomar was the heart and soul of the Sox and the fans turned on him...in a heartbeat. We will see how Pedey ends here, and if he ever has to go for a contract again. He's the best 2B fielder maybe I've ever seen, but his offense has slipped and he's not the hitter of a few years ago. Manny was God, and then he was not here. But everyone thinks it was perfectly fine to blow up the pitching staff for Cespedes and Craig and prospects?? What did I say would happen? instead of losing 3-1, you lose 8-6....8-7 last night with the ace of the staff on the hill...the one guy they couldn't trade because he was untradeable...Clay.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I felt Jon Lester was just as valuable to the Sox as Pedroia...You can argue till the turtle returns home from the lake as to a position player v. a SP, but I'm thoroughly fascinated at how untouchable Pedroia is how it was so easy for fans to dismiss Lester via his trade. Why is Pedroia so protected here? It was just like Youkilis when he should have been dealt. He was slipping offensively and the Sox felt that he should play 3b so that AGON could be signed for a longterm contract. They dismissed the prospect of instead signing ABeltre. Youkilis was a DirtDog and he was untouchable, and then he got hurt and stopped producing, and Middlebrooks showed up. Betts is no Pedroia? You can't make any assessment based on Betts never playing 2b in MLB yet. Pedroia has 42 RBI this year and finally hit his 5th home run last night. All Schumps did in this thread was bring up an idea to allow Mookie play his natural positon, and it's turned into we are dumping on Pedroia thread....all that says is that Sox fans have massive double standards in regard to who their favorites are, and the Sox organization has made it clear that certain players are untouchable and other stars can be dealt at a moment's notice--Lester.

You do realize that Pedrioa and Lester had very different situations, as far as contracts go, right?

I don't like that Lester was traded either. They should have resigned him.

So, to show that the Sox don't play favorites, they should trade Pedroia and his VERY team friendly contract too?

That's a worse idea than sitting him so they can "showcase" Betts.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

i have no idea where you get the "everyone is ok with trading Lester from.

Seems like "everyone" wanted him resigned.

When that wasn't happening, "everyone" was resigned to the fact that trading him was better than letting him walk for nothing.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I wish I could show all the posts everyone made about Youkilis and him being untouchable....even the GM bought into that. Youks was dismissed so fast when things became apparent, though. And the fans will do the same one day with Pedey, or maybe they won't. People tried hard to make Ortiz expendable as early as last pre-season. They don't need him, they said, turn the DH position into a DH by Committee, they said. Ortiz isn't worth the money. Pedroia though is the UNTOUCHABLE...I'll be calling him that for now on. And what's funny is did Schumps, myself or Geo ever say Pedroia isn't a fantastic defensive player or hasn't been a hard working DirtDog? No...we just said what if Mookie got some reps at 2b during a year that the Sox have given up on...that is all...so go ahead and tell us how important it is for Pedey to play 2b every game the rest of the season....is it that important? Pitchers be damned and rotation be damned...but Pedey? God forbid anyone mention him as a trade chip or anything other than the UNTOUCHABLE.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The next 20 posts will say that Pedroia is now a whipping boy and that we are hating on poor Pedey...come on, grow up, it's a business..that's all MLB is...and the Sox way of doing is business is blowing up rotations.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I heard someone say how wait until the '15 rotation is set before making comments....really? Okay, I'll predict the Sox will not have anywhere close the rotation that they had going into '14. Scherzer or not.