Betts needs to play some 2B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Betts needs to play some 2B

Agree Betts should play, don't agree it must be 2B, which is why the Sox moved him to CF in Portland and the Pawtucket.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

So had Pedroia been traded for Cespedes, wouldn't that had been replacing one area and subtracting another? I don't think a lot of fans would have your sentiment on Pedroia being traded for Yoenis (yes, hypothetical). But of course, any time a Sox star is in a contract year---basically if they haven't been signed by the first month of the season--they are going to be traded or they are going to leave for free agency as another team will value that star better than the Sox, right or wrong. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Business is business...So basically, roy, if I'm reading you right, it's really more about where a player stands in their contract than how important the player is to the team's success....That's a GM's point of view for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Schumps, this is why I like you posting. You bring up something that god forbid the Sox even remotely think about. If you are going to blow up things, do it right. There is absolutely no reason to think they couldn't trade Pedroia at some point for a top SP. Betts could be the future 2B, but in the Sox FO minds, you aren't even allowed to mention Pedroia and another team. It's okay to lowball, then trade Lester, not Dusty.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I agree it's a bit refreshing to see the orthodoxy challenged in this area.

Pedroia's contract is often cited as the model for team-friendly extensions, but the reality is that he has declined for three straight years, has been a barely league-average hitter this season (101 OPS+), and is signed up through 2021 (7 more years). I love Pedey as much as anyone, but that is cause for some concern.

The other reality is that if JBJ and Mookie are going to be on the major league team, they should be playing almost every day. So should Holt, for obvious reasons. So putting Betts at 2B once or twice a week and resting Pedroia (which is all Schump suggested in his OP) is hardly an outlandish suggestion.

As far as I'm concerned, no stone should be left unturned in the search for ways to improve next season and in the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Which is why when a guy gets offered 70 mil for 4 years and is a star pitcher, the organization is telling you bye-bye. Lester was undercut on purpose, methodically done so that they wouldn't have to give him a CC type of contract. It's business.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Schumps, this is why I like you posting. You bring up something that god forbid the Sox even remotely think about. If you are going to blow up things, do it right. There is absolutely no reason to think they couldn't trade Pedroia at some point for a top SP. Betts could be the future 2B, but in the Sox FO minds, you aren't even allowed to mention Pedroia and another team. It's okay to lowball, then trade Lester, not Dusty.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I agree it's a bit refreshing to see the orthodoxy challenged in this area.

Pedroia's contract is often cited as the model for team-friendly extensions, but the reality is that he has declined for three straight years, has been a barely league-average hitter this season (101 OPS+), and is signed up through 2021 (7 more years). I love Pedey as much as anyone, but that is cause for some concern.

The other reality is that if JBJ and Mookie are going to be on the major league team, they should be playing almost every day. So should Holt, for obvious reasons. So putting Betts at 2B once or twice a week and resting Pedroia (which is all Schump suggested in his OP) is hardly an outlandish suggestion.

[/QUOTE]

It is for a lot of Sox fans. I'm fine with it, but more so because the games are meaningless right now. All Dustin can do is pad his stats, that's it, right now. Maybe it's a star's player right to expect to play no matter what in bad times, which I do agree doesn't happen very much. Star players get their at bats and don't sit much historically in a bad season. Historically, not saying the Sox couldn't try something different than a norm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

As a PR person, all you really have to do is announce what your intentions to the press after a private meeting with players. Then you have Farrell say, "Ben and I have talked this over and I'm sure some of our veteran mainstays aren't entirely going to be pleased by it, we are going to start playing our young players in games and that means veterans are going to sit. It doesn't change their long-term importance to the team, it just is so we can do some more MLB evaluating with our youth in this very unorthodox time for us." .....clap, clap...fans satisfied, players informed, agents informed. Betts plays 2b for a few games a week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

When Pedroia first came up in 2006, he had played 162 games at AAA.  The next year he was handed the 2B job in ST.

betts has played 34 games at AAA and 54 at AA.  If he needs to play more 2B, he can do it at Pawtucket.  He is still 21 years old, until October.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

So had Pedroia been traded for Cespedes, wouldn't that had been replacing one area and subtracting another? I don't think a lot of fans would have your sentiment on Pedroia being traded for Yoenis (yes, hypothetical). But of course, any time a Sox star is in a contract year---basically if they haven't been signed by the first month of the season--they are going to be traded or they are going to leave for free agency as another team will value that star better than the Sox, right or wrong. 

[/QUOTE]

First bold item. To answer the question, no. The Sox don't have power-hitting OF prospects. They have a 2B prospect. So if you traded Pedey for Cespedes, it would open a spot for Betts. I wouldn't have liked to have traded Pedey, but I could accept in that situation. But it would have helped one area and you open a spot for a top prospect.

Second bold item. We'll have to see how it works going forward. So far, the only examples of what you said are Ellsbury and Lester. Ellsbury I wouldn't have signed for that money. Ellsbury I would have. 

And look at the Youk example. He hit his 30s and became injury prone and was done by 32, 33.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

Business is business...So basically, roy, if I'm reading you right, it's really more about where a player stands in their contract than how important the player is to the team's success....That's a GM's point of view for sure.

[/QUOTE]

No. You take all things into consideration. If you don't think you can sign a player and you can help yourself with a trade, you make the deal in a year like this when you're out of the pennant race.

A player might be vital to the team's success but if it reaches a point where you can't sign him then his importance becomes moot.

What good would it have been to keep Lester if at the end of the day, he ends up signing somewhere else in the offseason. Like I said, I'm all for re-signing him, but it does reach a point with all players where the contract becomes prohibitive. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Clearly, the Sox window to sign Lester ended most likely in ST...And had the Sox been competitive, I don't know if Lester would have been dealt under that scenario, but surely there was a radar by Ben and staff to use Lester as their best trade bait by the time they knew the season was done. I like Cespedes, I do, but I would prefer if they tried to create a contract for him. In that way, Lester's trade could have better long-term dividends on the field. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's the way Pedroia has been portrayed. A player like him who plays hard, who plays hurt, who goes all out all the time is selfish player and not a team player. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I haven't attacked Pedroia once.  Don't try to hide behind Pedroia.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWPCLogaqc" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWPCLogaqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPJVNbOcDo" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPJVNbOcDo

Mookie can play 2nd.  The second video is my favorite. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I knew some dimwit would bring up Loretta. 

Defense.  It is still important.

[/QUOTE]

"Dimwit"?  Asinine suggestion, total confusion about Yaz' career, inability to deliver an analogous situation yet refusal yield an inch.  Pot/kettle? 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You have a unique ability to not stay on subject - you must be great in staff meetings.

Yaz was the best LF on the Sox roster in 1975.  Rice couldn't get out of his own way out there and carbo was a back up.  I only brought up Yaz because somebody was playing the "I've been a fan since Jim Lonborg" - and it is tiresome when somebody plays that card.  So I pointed out that even Yaz - a HoF OF didn't play a162 in LF every year.  Sometimes younger players got the chance.  And that's where you jumped in because you are a buffoon. 

[/QUOTE]

Wrong again.  Quelle surprise!

1)  Yaz played 8 (eight) games in LF for the Red Sox in 1975, Mr. Baseball.

2)  You first mentioned Yaz on this thread after I wrote that your OP was idiotic, unprecedented...that no team would do such a thing (i.e. drop a star player "a couple of games a week") and challenged you to give an example.  And your example was Yaz in '75, so I pointed out that Yaz effectively stopped being a full time OF in 1969.  Poor you.  I imagine you weren't very smart before...nowadays...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Who won the Gold Glove for LF in 1977, genius?  Carl Yastrzemski.

Did you know that?  I guess not. 

So who was the superior OF in 1975?  Yaz.

And yet the Red Sox did not play Yaz in LF in 1975 - they played Rice and Carbo our there (mostly rice who could not field at all).

This line of argument (About Yaz) which you are attempting to make a "gotcha moment" actually works against you because if they had handled Yaz like you insist they handle Pedroia - Yaz would have played LF every game every year his whole career because he had "earned it as a veteran"

LOOK at 1977.  Gold Glove award for Yaz.  he was clearly the best LF - but he was willing to subjugate personal for team.  Not just a few games - many games.

He could have said in 1972 thru 1976 - under no circumstances will I sit out even one game a week in LF; But Yaz didn't do that - he was a team guy.

LOOK at 1971.  Yaz at age 31 (same age as Pedroia) won the Gold Glove in the OF.  The VERY NEXT year yaz played 83 games in OF.  Why?  Did he suddenly stink?  No.  He won the GG in 1977, genius.

Yaz did what was best for the team.  Always.

So yes, he is an excellent example of a star who set aside his personal desires for the good of the team.  I'm glad you are harping over Yaz because the facts support me and make you an idiot.

Yaz - the legitimate heart and soul guy - had no problem doing what was best for the team.

Yet, many here suggest that asking Pedroia to let Betts play some 2B is Outrageous (it isn't), unprecedented (it's not) and unfair (wrong).

So you have no clue on Yaz.  thanks for begging for a smack-down.

[/QUOTE]

A Gold Glove, Mr. Baseball?  Wow, you really know your stuff.

You are desperately trying to sound less ridiculous than you do, good luck with that.  My point was not that Yaz couldn't play OF after 1969, it's that he didn't much.  Still waiting for your example of a veteran, star player sitting a couple of days a week to showcase a rookie.

[/QUOTE]

728 games in the OF AFTER 1969....*he didn't much?"....Most of those games occurring between 1970 and 1977 or by the time he had been 17 years in MLB

[/QUOTE]

Danny, even just counting '70 - '77 Yaz averaged only 72 OF games/year. It's a bit of a nitpick to argue the use of the word "much".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yaz was bounced around because of need, not because he wasn't probably one of the best outfielders of both the 1960s and 70s. He was as good in LF as any Sox ever defensively. With that said, Pedroia can't play any other position but 2b, and that's been his position. And he's a Gold Glove there. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

There was ZERO PLAN in the trades and dumping of the Sox '13 Rotation...It was a Firesale, Garage Sale with bodies all over the lawn....Peavy, Lackey, Lester, and throw in needlessly Miller too...Doubront I can understand.

[/QUOTE]

No plan?

You're kidding, right?  The plan became officially obvious on July 31.

Whether or  not you like the plan, or whether or not it is a good plan remains to be seen.  But there is a clear plan...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Underlying response to asking if Mookie could get a few reps at 2b in meaningless games is how dare anyone suggest Pedroia is anything but the team's untouchable player...Forsome reason, none of the SP were untouchable. If Mookie is a natural 2b, then it appears he will have to be playing that position somewhere else. I think most scouts would like to see a player perform at the MLB level on defense before making judgment calls. However, Mookie's future is not going to be his natural position in Boston. Not with Pedroia here.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt scouts, many of whom have seen Betts play 2B in the minors, were watching him and thinking "Wow.  He covers ground and turns a nice double play, but these are minor league grounders and minor league double plays.  Can he field a major league ground ball?  I have no idea, and need him to play 2B in the show to know for sure."

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Now that the Red Sox are considering shutting down Pedroia for the rest of the year because of his wrist issues - you'd think that Betts would get some time at 2B.

But no.

We just can't have Betts play any 2B on this team - it's just too controversial to let him play his natural position.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Now that the Red Sox are considering shutting down Pedroia for the rest of the year because of his wrist issues - you'd think that Betts would get some time at 2B.

But no.

We just can't have Betts play any 2B on this team - it's just too controversial to let him play his natural position.

[/QUOTE]

Oh you mean the position he switched to a little over a year ago?? that 2nd base???  He's obviously not playing 2nd in Boston any time soon so why not let him develop into a plus outfielder.

He turned into a plus defender at 2nd in a year, he looks like he could do the same in the outfield.  Betts might be a really good leadoff hitter who can play plus defense in the outfield.  We don't have that on this team in the absence of him....let him develop there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why the pining for Betts to play 2nd?  Just don't get it.  He is turning into a real nice outfielder right in front of our eyes.  Who cares if he played second when he was a kid.  He is a man now and plays the outfield.  get used to it.  Embrace it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

But no.

[/QUOTE]

His future in Boston is not at 2B.  If the Sox regret shifting Bogaerts around so much early in his career, they are not likely to do the same thing with Betts...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Pedroia's future as not the next Youkilis is now in question.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm with Schumps, good a time as any to see if he can play some 2b.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

What is the harm now? To use the esteemed roy on this subject, they've already seen him play 2b in the minors. Well, I've already seen him play OF in the majors, I'd like to see Betts play 5 games in a row at 2b. It's not going to kill anyone.

Sections
Shortcuts