Betts, Owens, Shaw---good tine to take a look?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Betts, Owens, Shaw---good tine to take a look?

One report from last night's Portland win:

"Mookie Betts, the club's No. 5 prospect and No. 53 overall, added two hits, two runs, three walks and a stolen base."

Sounds like a pretty good night to me! What's to lose? Buchholz may be done, Shane, XB out.Nava wasn't tearing up the league in Pawtucket. Fan interest dropping like a rock. again, what's to lose?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Betts, Owens, Shaw---good tine to take a look?

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

"Mookie Betts, the club's No. 5 prospect and No. 53 overall, added two hits, two runs, three walks and a stolen base."

Sounds like a pretty good night to me! What's to lose? Buchholz may be done, Shane, XB out.Nava wasn't tearing up the league in Pawtucket. Fan interest dropping like a rock. again, what's to lose?

BINGO  DAT  !!!  As DAD would say.........  "SON, baseball is a young mans game, the older the players get the deeper the decline on the other side" !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

something like 32 men reached base in that Portland game last night.  The Seadogs walked 12 times! Betts tallied 3 walks with 2 of them coming in the first inning.  The SeaDogs scored 6 times on ZERO hits in the first, although they did managed to sneak in 16 hits last night.  You can almost make a case for promoting half the SeaDogs team to Pawtucket right now.  They have something like a 100 run differential right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Anythings better then looking at JBJ,Sizemore,Middlebrook, Ross, Victorino,Napoli,Peavy,Buck,Doubront,Carp,Gomes...just to name a few.......Bring up Pawtucket ,please!!! Rather lose with them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Sounds like a lot of our top minor leaguers are clustered at Portland and Greenville

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Sounds like a lot of our top minor leaguers are clustered at Portland and Greenville

Lets just do it. Trade our dead weight and let the kids have fun. Is Ben listening?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

It is time to call up Mookie... The kid clearly had 5 tool potential and is not being challenge at all in double.

Hell, this is the best time to reward him for his outstanding play since the OF is not producing what so ever. Sit Bradley for a few days and then put him in RF and move Shane to LF (reduce the wear and tear on his body) and either cut Sizemore or tell him he is there 4th outfielder. And then just ride the storm to 2015. The smart fan knew this team was no way going to reproduce the magic they did from last year and I am okay with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If they are still floundering come July, then there could be some moves made. Most teams arent looking to trade until closer to the deadline. The bigger deals anyway. 

Its good to see the kids doing well. But realistically, its AA. Everyone wanted the kids to play this year and there are growing pains. Betts, owens, etc., will probably have their issues as well. 

If this team is dead in the water come July, then im all for selling off players and seeing what the kids have with no pressure on them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Take it one step at a time. Promote them to AAA. If they continue to shine, bring them up. Don't get carried away.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Take it one step at a time. Promote them to AAA. If they continue to shine, bring them up. Don't get carried away.

Stabbed by Foulke.

But why? Manny Machado was called up after only having 900 something plate appearances in the minors and they were hardly great. However, here we have Mookie Betts with over 1000 at bats and has CRUSHED the ball in every level he has been. Just sick and tired of watching the likes of Sizemore, Herrera, and others rotten this team to last place... As long as he doesn't get traded or is blocked by some overhyped project (Sizemore) next season, I will be happy.

But that's just my opinions and opinions are like ########...everyone has one.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

But why? Manny Machado was called up after only having 900 something plate appearances in the minors and they were hardly great. However, here we have Mookie Betts with over 1000 at bats and has CRUSHED the ball in every level he has been. Just sick and tired of watching the likes of Sizemore, Herrera, and others rotten this team to last place... As long as he doesn't get traded or is blocked by some overhyped project (Sizemore) next season, I will be happy.

But that's just my opinions and opinions are like ########...everyone has one.... 

[object HTMLDivElement]   I agree with the fast track, but at least give him a few weeks at AAA to see how he handles it. MLB pitching is a lot tougher than the minors. Ask JBJ.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]   I agree with the fast track, but at least give him a few weeks at AAA to see how he handles it. MLB pitching is a lot tougher than the minors. Ask JBJ.

Poor JBJ, I was rooting for him for a few years but the odds were never in his favor... Sadly not too many successful Black African players in MLB. However, here's hopping he proves me wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

something like 32 men reached base in that Portland game last night.  The Seadogs walked 12 times! Betts tallied 3 walks with 2 of them coming in the first inning.  The SeaDogs scored 6 times on ZERO hits in the first, although they did managed to sneak in 16 hits last night.  You can almost make a case for promoting half the SeaDogs team to Pawtucket right now.  They have something like a 100 run differential right now.

So much for that idea. Sort of like when a pitcher wins 15 games but his era is 5.50 and posters say "hey the dude won 15 games !!!"

But some would argue if a guy won 15 games with a 5.5 era he has magical powers that make the offense score 6+ a night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I agree with the fast track, but at least give him a few weeks at AAA to see how he handles it. MLB pitching is a lot tougher than the minors. Ask JBJ.

I'm curious why some people think fast tracking is better?  If the FO thinks a guy is ready, then so be it.  But given that your peak seasons are probably somewhere around 23-29 or 24-30, why promote players sooner?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But why? Manny Machado was called up after only having 900 something plate appearances in the minors and they were hardly great. However, here we have Mookie Betts with over 1000 at bats and has CRUSHED the ball in every level he has been.

You have a far different trajectory.  Machado was teh #3 pick in the country, and was always about a top-10 prospect.  Mookie was a 5th rounder, and only moved into the top-100 this year.  Machado is also a GG infielder.  Mookie doesn't even have a position yet.

You have two guys with a minor league slashes of .297/.404/.471/.876 and .312/.407/.465/.872.  They are identical on the minor league level, except one is a GG-level fielder, and one has no current position.  So what happens if Mookie starts off slow in his first 200 ABs?

Which minor leaguer do we call up until we find someone that can hit .800 after 2 months?

Sections
Shortcuts