Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?"

.510 winning percentage with one pennant and only one other playoff appearance in 15 seasons as a major league manager.  This is obviously not very impressive, but then again, both Terry Francona and Joe Torre had abysmal to mediocre track records before their runs of success with the Red Sox and Yankees respectfully.  The question is, "How did Bobby Valentine fare as a manager considering what he had to work with in New York?"  I observed very little of it, so I'd like to hear the informed opinions of those who watched the Mets during those seasons.  My gut tells me that the guy is more show than substance, but I hope I'm wrong if the Red Sox hire him as manager. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?"

In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?":
    [QUOTE]sheriff he had his problems in ny lost his team in the end too instead of bud in the can it was bud in the peacepipe but that was a long time ago with all that time in japan and a few yrs to reflect I have confidence that he would be much better mgr today
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Zac, my guess is that it will not end well in Boston either, but that's par for the course.  I'm just hoping that it at least begins well.  At best, I see him as a potential spark to ignite a lackluster team.  I suspect he will wear out his welcome quickly, but I hope the welcome lasts for at least a season or two. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?"

In Response to Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?":
    [QUOTE].510 winning percentage with one pennant and only one other playoff appearance in 15 seasons as a major league manager.  This is obviously not very impressive, but then again, both Terry Francona and Joe Torre had abysmal to mediocre track records before their runs of success with the Red Sox and Yankees respectfully.  The question is, "How did Bobby Valentine fare as a manager considering what he had to work with in New York?"  I observed very little of it, so I'd like to hear the informed opinions of those who watched the Mets during those seasons.  My gut tells me that the guy is more show than substance, but I hope I'm wrong if the Red Sox select him manager. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

The answer may be simple if you ask yourself this question, what did Tito do until he had real talent around him?  Bobby may do as well or better.  The real question is how Bobby will fit in Boston with his ego.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?" : Very simple answer, what did Tito do until he had real talent around him?  Bobby may do as well or better.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

But I'd like to know how much "real talent" he had around him with the Mets.  Were they viable contending teams that didn't reach their potential, or were they severely flawed teams that no manager could do anything with? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?" : But I'd like to know how much "real talent" he had around him with the Mets.  Were they viable contending teams that didn't reach their potential, or were they severely flawed teams that no manager could anything with? 

Sheriff, I'm not a huge fan of Valentine coming to Boston, unless he can mesh well with our players and leave the over sized ego for arguing with the umps and disciplining those who need it.

I would rather see a guy like Hargrove manage our club.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?" : But I'd like to know how much "real talent" he had around him with the Mets.  Were they viable contending teams that didn't reach their potential, or were they severely flawed teams that no manager could do anything with? 
    The team was built around Piazza, Mike Hampton was the ace, Egardo Alfonso was in his prime, and Todd Zeile and Robin Ventura were at the corners, but both past their prime. This team had but a fraction of the talent that the Sox have ..... he got everything out of them and more .... if I were a Sox fan; I'd be more comfortable with him than the other 3 candidates. He's a Buck Showlater type though ..... palpable results; limited shelf-life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?" : The team was built around Piazza, Mike Hampton was the ace, Egardo Alfonso was in his prime, and Todd Zeile and Robin Ventura were at the corners, but both past their prime. This team had but a fraction of the talent that the Sox have ..... he got everything out of them and more .... if I were a Sox fan; I'd be more comfortable with him than the other 3 candidates. He's a Buck Showlater type though ..... palpable results; limited shelf-life.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding with some content.  I'd like to hear from others about what they thought about the Mets' prowess during the Valentine Era.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Modern baseball is more about the GM than the manager. Valentine or any manager should be on lower cost short term leash. Babysitting is what managing is most about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

S-R

The 2000 Met team that went to the World Series had to be one of the great managerial jobs of the last 30 years. He had Piazza, several other very good players and one of the worst OF's you could imagine.

Between the lines, I think he has the tools. Now whether he can reign in the Sox veterans is another thing. However, I do believe that the Sox vets are going to reign themselves in this year as they know their reputations were solied and any player with any regard for himself is going to do all they can to remove the stench from last year.

I don't see this Sox team needing to do too much in the off-season. For all the disasters of last year, Beckett, Lester and a healthy Clay give the Sox a very strong 1, 2 & 3. And Lackey as your #5 is no worse than what any other team has. So the question is, who slides into #4.

The IF is fine, esepcially if Youk can remain healthy. It is not the strongest, defensively, but they should make the plays. And they can hit.

The OF will be interesting. I cannot see Crawford repeating last year, but how much of an improvement you see is anyone's guess. I think he will be fine. I am very inteested in what Els does this year. Does he continue to grow or will he play it safe knowing that the money is only a year away. RF is your question mark.

Your bullpen, IMO is not that good. Letting Paps go was a mistake, but then I am not sure if he wanted to return. Bard is no guarantee so you have to keep Aceves here just in case. Jenks is not the answer.

Bobby V, if chosen will have to temper himself a bit, but I think he can succeed in Boston.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]S-R The 2000 Met team that went to the World Series had to be one of the great managerial jobs of the last 30 years. He had Piazza, several other very good players and one of the worst OF's you could imagine. Between the lines, I think he has the tools. Now whether he can reign in the Sox veterans is another thing. However, I do believe that the Sox vets are going to reign themselves in this year as they know their reputations were solied and any player with any regard for himself is going to do all they can to remove the stench from last year. I don't see this Sox team needing to do too much in the off-season. For all the disasters of last year, Beckett, Lester and a healthy Clay give the Sox a very strong 1, 2 & 3. And Lackey as your #5 is no worse than what any other team has. So the question is, who slides into #4. The IF is fine, esepcially if Youk can remain healthy. It is not the strongest, defensively, but they should make the plays. And they can hit. The OF will be interesting. I cannot see Crawford repeating last year, but how much of an improvement you see is anyone's guess. I think he will be fine. I am very inteested in what Els does this year. Does he continue to grow or will he play it safe knowing that the money is only a year away. RF is your question mark. Your bullpen, IMO is not that good. Letting Paps go was a mistake, but then I am not sure if he wanted to return. Bard is no guarantee so you have to keep Aceves here just in case. Jenks is not the answer. Bobby V, if chosen will have to temper himself a bit, but I think he can succeed in Boston.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Isn't Lackey gone for the year with TJ surgery?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Bobby Valentine

"As a younger man, Valentine seemed to take his lead from Tommy Lasorda, who always seemed to be posing for the camera, welcoming the spotlight and willing to go on endlessly on any topic. In Boston this approach would not work so well."
    -Jeff Bradley - NJ Star Ledger

"He's one of the best baseball guys I've ever been around. I know he handles the bullpen well. I know he's tremendous when it comes to matchups. He was using the matchups statistically before people were using matchups statistically..." - Jim Duquette - Former Mets Exec.

"...I still can’t shake the idea that the front office imposing Valentine on Cherington like this is bad news. Maybe this happened way more with Theo Epstein’s major decisions than we realize, but it just seems unhealthy for Cherington’s first real decision as general manager to be taken away from him like this." -Craig Calcaterra - NBC Sports

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?" : Isn't Lackey gone for the year with TJ surgery?
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Not really sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedGatorSox. Show RedGatorSox's posts

The bigger question is what makes anyone think that Bobby V is a more capable manager than Francona was.  Hiring Bobby V (or any of the other proposed candidates) is nothing more than "change for the sake of change", simply because of the September collapse. 

I hope whoever is hired really does breathe new life into the returning players and motivates them to play like the team that was kicking @zz and taking names most of the season and up until September 1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm from NY and a Mets agnostic.  I never saw anything impressive from Valentine.  To be honest, I think he's off his rocker.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I'm from NY and a Mets agnostic.  I never saw anything impressive from Valentine.  To be honest, I think he's off his rocker.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much Joe!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beyond the Bobby V ego blather: the question is, "Is he really a good manager?" : Not really sure.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts