Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility

In another post about "Problems with the Board" there got be ridiculous insulting among a few posters, Pumpsie, Bill, Burrito and maybe others. It seemed that some of you are masochists continuing back and forth as in a tennis match to insult eachother.

I like to joke around and exchange quips as life is too serious but among friends, not strangers. On the board we use Pen names and if someone wants to say they have IQs of 150+, have Purple Hearts, were All-State in High School and All American in College, most of the people I know who truly were some of these, don't brag about it. It seems a person who says this gets their jollies especially if not true.  What a truly sad person who obviously has a complex with their intelligence or athleticism.

Did it not occur to you guys that the people who participate on these blogs are from all walks of life, different educational level, races, ages, athletic abilities etc.  Many comments may seem completely idiotic to you but are you  members of the MENSA society( for the uniformed that’s people with High IQs).

I believe instead of calling someone an idiot, stupid, scum etc., especially when one disagrees with a sports issue, come back with a rebuttal of you respect their opinion but you disagree and then give yours. But to demean a person belittles you, in my opinion. And if the person continues to argue a point with which you disagree, cease & desist from continuing the argument because if the person is blatantly incorrect and doesn't admit it, it becomes peeing up wind with an unreasonable person.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility

I agree and think the mods are starting to get tired of it too. That, and the childish name calling of players by grown men and women.

When you go to other certain sites, the posters there dont tolerate that stuff because they would rather have an intelligent conversation, whether they agree or not, with someone that isnt calling them names or using terms like "francoma" or "wastefield" for players/managers.

Its just hard to take someone who does that too seriously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In another post about "Problems with the Board" there got be ridiculous insulting among a few posters, Pumpsie, Bill, Burrito and maybe others. It seemed that some of you are masochists continuing back and forth as in a tennis match to insult eachother.

I like to joke around and exchange quips as life is too serious but among friends, not strangers. On the board we use Pen names and if someone wants to say they have IQs of 150+, have Purple Hearts, were All-State in High School and All American in College, most of the people I know who truly were some of these, don't brag about it. It seems a person who says this gets their jollies especially if not true.  What a truly sad person who obviously has a complex with their intelligence or athleticism.

Did it not occur to you guys that the people who participate on these blogs are from all walks of life, different educational level, races, ages, athletic abilities etc.  Many comments may seem completely idiotic to you but are you  members of the MENSA society( for the uniformed that’s people with High IQs).

I believe instead of calling someone an idiot, stupid, scum etc., especially when one disagrees with a sports issue, come back with a rebuttal of you respect their opinion but you disagree and then give yours. But to demean a person belittles you, in my opinion. And if the person continues to argue a point with which you disagree, cease & desist from continuing the argument because if the person is blatantly incorrect and doesn't admit it, it becomes peeing up wind with an unreasonable person.

Good post. For the record, I NEVER start that stuff, but I do feel entitled to defend myself if I choose to do so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I couldn't agree more, SF.  I come here for respectful discourse and most especially not the name-calling, whether it's directed at players or posters. 

I post frequently on another, local, sports board and they say right up front that no name-calling or personal attacks of any kind will be tolerated.  Violaters are given one chance and then their posting rights taken away for three months.  Then it's two strikes and they're out.  I HAVE been told that if someone's rights are taken away and they contact the moderators those rights can be reinstated, but the offending poster has to make a good case for themselves. 

Anyway, my point is that this other board is a very pleasant place to post.  BDC is moving in that direction but they still have a way to go.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I'm all for bickering and name calling if you can do it with nuance and wit.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

When a poster like pumpsie-green name calls just about every player on the team and then reports posters who call him names it gets ridiculous. pumpsie absolutely desreves to be called names.

That's Conan's niche.  Kind of like a useful germ in the body or an annoying mosquito that serves as a vital part of a food chain. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

When a poster like pumpsie-green name calls just about every player on the team and then reports posters who call him names it gets ridiculous. pumpsie absolutely desreves to be called names.

That's Conan's niche.  Kind of like a useful germ in the body or an annoying mosquito that serves as a vital part of a food chain. 

More of the largest useless mosquito in the swamp. No redeeming features whatsoever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good post. For the record, I NEVER start that stuff, but I do feel entitled to defend myself if I choose to do so.

[/QUOTE]

This is coming from the poster that thinks "Breakholz" is cleaver.  You have poor self-concept, Pumpsie.  And yes, I'm bickering.  And yes, it's futile.  But it is fun.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it is really all in the TYPE of name you use

bootlicker, polyannas, salamis...these are creative names that must be used on the forum

just sayin'

As always - 100% correct!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BINGO  !!!!   Great post !!    A poster really needs "thick skin" on these boards............  My love for the Red Sox & HUMOR keep bringing me back.......  Heck, I just want a shot at being G M & MANAGER every day !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We both know that's not true.

One of the first things you did, when you started posting here again, was attack a female poster.

After you took heat for it, you realized you couldn't get away with the same crap you pulled on other sites.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is coming from the poster that thinks "Breakholz" is cleaver.  You have poor self-concept, Pumpsie.  And yes, I'm bickering.  And yes, it's futile.  But it is fun.  

Breakholz is a step up from Baileybum though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I personally like Maroon......you are such a maroon. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Definitely one of the better ones!

Thanks, Bugs!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What an Embezzle...what a Gullibull.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defend yourself from what!!? For the love of God its an opinion board. Is it that hard to just let the idiots be idiots? I have never understood the insatiable need for some to " defend" themselves on a message board. Its full fledged Napoleon complex. I work with a dude who is exactly like this....cannot leave a discussion without the last word. It's gotta be hard to live ones life so defensive and ready to pounce. Tiring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but fails in comparison to Losester. an unamusing cross between Loser and Lester.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is sort of amazing that anyone with an !Q of over 80 would call a man named Bailey "Baileybum".  I have an 11 year old stepson with special needs that can come up with better stuff  than that.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I actually like disagreement, which I think is good for the board.  But I completely agree with the notion we can disagree without insulting each other.  I used to lambast softlaw regularly, but finally decided to cool it, and it helped.  I try to do the same with bill-806, but don't always succeed, but believe it is worth the effort. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I belive that was "ultra maroon."

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I often use "Cherry-bomb" to refer to Cherrington. I use A-Fraud to refer to A-Rod.

...and I have a few other colorful nicknames I use only in fun.

Because life has enough misery, stress and grief, I like to have a little fun here from time to time.

However, I do respect my fellow posters, until someone fires the first shot in my direction. Then all bets are off. There is a point when debate becomes disagreement. But, it should never result in name calling or crude behaviour among adults. I fear however that some of us are not adults ( possibly in age, but not in mentality).

Lets' all have some fun here, if not it gets real boring. But let's also remember that not everyone is going to agree with your point of view. This is why we discuss various topics....to hear what others think.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

Sections
Shortcuts