Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility

Im hoping the mods can realize who is who here, and block or even delete their account enough to where they either dont post here anymore or decide to smarten up and do things a different way.

The ones who usually complain the most about that are the ones who have been getting away with unwanted behavior here and are realizing that they cant do that anymore.

I came to this site 4 years ago, and after reading the forum for almost a year I decided to sign up. I like whats gone on here recently with some useless threads and posts being deleted. Attacks on posters, whether minor or major are starting to not be tolerated. Now if they would only impliment something that can block IP addys or another function that wouldnt allow another screen name from that particular computer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Wow...I started this discussion and it was refreshing to read that so many posters agree with me that name calling is not necessary when posters disagree on a topic. Hey, if you have fun going back and forth with someone or a few like in a tennis match because you can't agree on something, good for you.

Nobody should know anybody from Adam(unless some of you have agreed to meet for a drink, lunch etc.) as we fortunately use bogus names. Maybe based on comments some feel they  can tell if person's intelligence, ability to reason and, most important, Baseball acumen is above or below average. But to name call a Pen name(s) because your feathers were ruffled because there was disagreement with your opinion, to me, in my opinion, means you have some kind of a complex and stubbornly even being wrong don't want to admit it so petulantly start the name calling.

I would bet that at least 75% of the people who call eachother demeaning names might not do so eye ball to eye as many do with unknown acquaintances using text instead of their fists .

Again, I will say that I disagree with a person and then give my opinion and do this a couple of times in rebuttal and when there is no agreement, an impasse, in my opinion, it is the more reasonable person who backs away. I have always found that it is a no win situation trying to argue with a person who is unreasonable.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Im hoping the mods can realize who is who here, and block or even delete their account enough to where they either dont post here anymore or decide to smarten up and do things a different way.

The ones who usually complain the most about that are the ones who have been getting away with unwanted behavior here and are realizing that they cant do that anymore.

I came to this site 4 years ago, and after reading the forum for almost a year I decided to sign up. I like whats gone on here recently with some useless threads and posts being deleted. Attacks on posters, whether minor or major are starting to not be tolerated. Now if they would only impliment something that can block IP addys or another function that wouldnt allow another screen name from that particular computer.

The mods can only do so much.  They can delete an account but blocking does not work like a few years back.  The best thing to do is use the ignore feature.  You seem like a smart blogger and are able to tell when a new account is someone who has just been terminated.

Ignore the insult throwers and eventually they go away, just the craziest will stick around.

[/QUOTE]

Its not about ignoring it JB. Its about trying to clean up this forum, and make it a bit more respected. Not some site where people can come and act disrespectfully and get away with it. Sure, your not going to fully stop it, But if you can discourage people from posting trollish & disrespectful threads/posts, or just come here to attack other posters, then everyone will realize that it can get old very quickly having to create a new screen name only to have it removed again.

Its not very hard to have respect for one another, disagree and still stay civil. You shouldnt have to have "thick skin" to post here. The ignore feature is good, but more can and should be done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In another post about "Problems with the Board" there got be ridiculous insulting among a few posters, Pumpsie, Bill, Burrito and maybe others. It seemed that some of you are masochists continuing back and forth as in a tennis match to insult eachother.

I like to joke around and exchange quips as life is too serious but among friends, not strangers. On the board we use Pen names and if someone wants to say they have IQs of 150+, have Purple Hearts, were All-State in High School and All American in College, most of the people I know who truly were some of these, don't brag about it. It seems a person who says this gets their jollies especially if not true.  What a truly sad person who obviously has a complex with their intelligence or athleticism.

Did it not occur to you guys that the people who participate on these blogs are from all walks of life, different educational level, races, ages, athletic abilities etc.  Many comments may seem completely idiotic to you but are you  members of the MENSA society( for the uniformed that’s people with High IQs).

I believe instead of calling someone an idiot, stupid, scum etc., especially when one disagrees with a sports issue, come back with a rebuttal of you respect their opinion but you disagree and then give yours. But to demean a person belittles you, in my opinion. And if the person continues to argue a point with which you disagree, cease & desist from continuing the argument because if the person is blatantly incorrect and doesn't admit it, it becomes peeing up wind with an unreasonable person.

Name calling is great ! Just like when someone in hockey is challenged to drop his gloves. Would you like that guy to skate away? Hey ! most on here are men... i think..... Heck if someone needs a partner to dance,man up and go for it. A sign of weakness is no good but if name calling make you upset then go find a cooking site. Could make for a boring site if we don't get some real good ole fashion heated discusions. Let the benches empty out... stress relief is good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

In another post about "Problems with the Board" there got be ridiculous insulting among a few posters, Pumpsie, Bill, Burrito and maybe others. It seemed that some of you are masochists continuing back and forth as in a tennis match to insult eachother.

I like to joke around and exchange quips as life is too serious but among friends, not strangers. On the board we use Pen names and if someone wants to say they have IQs of 150+, have Purple Hearts, were All-State in High School and All American in College, most of the people I know who truly were some of these, don't brag about it. It seems a person who says this gets their jollies especially if not true.  What a truly sad person who obviously has a complex with their intelligence or athleticism.

Did it not occur to you guys that the people who participate on these blogs are from all walks of life, different educational level, races, ages, athletic abilities etc.  Many comments may seem completely idiotic to you but are you  members of the MENSA society( for the uniformed that’s people with High IQs).

I believe instead of calling someone an idiot, stupid, scum etc., especially when one disagrees with a sports issue, come back with a rebuttal of you respect their opinion but you disagree and then give yours. But to demean a person belittles you, in my opinion. And if the person continues to argue a point with which you disagree, cease & desist from continuing the argument because if the person is blatantly incorrect and doesn't admit it, it becomes peeing up wind with an unreasonable person.

Name calling is great ! Just like when someone in hockey is challenged to drop his gloves. Would you like that guy to skate away? Hey ! most on here are men... i think..... Heck if someone needs a partner to dance,man up and go for it. A sign of weakness is no good but if name calling make you upset then go find a cooking site. Could make for a boring site if we don't get some real good ole fashion heated discusions. Let the benches empty out... stress relief is good.

[/QUOTE]

Then go to a gym or get in the boxing ring. Name calling someone while hiding behind a computer screen is not exactly being brave. Most here would probably think twice if they were face to face with a few posters here.

Heated discussions are perfectly fine. Ive had plenty of them, but have never resorted to school yard name calling or disrespecting someone. Plus if I really wanted to fight someone, I wouldnt call them names. Id do what hockey players do..."Ya wanna go?"

I think the moderators are tired of some of the stuff that was going on here. For those that want to continue the name calling and cant seem to handle a heated debate without it, then I suggest you A) get used to creating new screen names B) go find another site or C) Learn to debate or disagree without being disrespectful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I have missed a lot since this thread dropped down the list! I am sorry to see that there are so many of you who do not realize that part of being a public figure is scrutiny, worship, being complimented, being made fun of, and having nicknames made on your behalf. There is a key difference in being a public figure and a private individual, as all of us are here. Demeaning nicknames and personal insults among private persons on this forum or any forum for that matter have no place whatsoever. If I say "Lesster" rather than Lester does anyone really not know to whom I am referring? Same with "Breakholtz" or "Ellsbaby". There was an announcer on TV a while ago that did this on the air all the time...can't remember his name. I see nothing wrong with nicknames. They reflect my opinion of a player's PERFORMANCE, not the player himself.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post. For the record, I NEVER start that stuff,but I do feel entitled to defend myself if I choose to do so.

[/QUOTE]

We both know that's not true.

One of the first things you did, when you started posting here again, was attack a female poster.

After you took heat for it, you realized you couldn't get away with the same crap you pulled on other sites.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. That was wrong and I apologized to the individual you referenced. It has not happened again. I challenge you to find one more instance when I have initiated that kind of personal stuff with anyone here. It has no place here. Guys like Conan and Burrito and a few others seem almost limited to personal crap. I agree with the OP; it has no place here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

I thought we were all on the same side.GO SOX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I pretty much disagree with 90% of the posters on this site 90% of the time.

But, I actually like about 95% of the posters here.

How can this be?

Because I don't expect many people to be like me.

Or more accurate, I don't expect anyone to think like me.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I have missed a lot since this thread dropped down the list! I am sorry to see that there are so many of you who do not realize that part of being a public figure is scrutiny, worship, being complimented, being made fun of, and having nicknames made on your behalf. There is a key difference in being a public figure and a private individual, as all of us are here. Demeaning nicknames and personal insults among private persons on this forum or any forum for that matter have no place whatsoever. If I say "Lesster" rather than Lester does anyone really not know to whom I am referring? Same with "Breakholtz" or "Ellsbaby". There was an announcer on TV a while ago that did this on the air all the time...can't remember his name. I see nothing wrong with nicknames. They reflect my opinion of a player's PERFORMANCE, not the player himself.

I agree about the being public figures mr green

as far as insulting other posters

of course it's wrong

but I have NP with some one responding likewise

I show respect to everyone until they give me a reason not to

the OP says  '' Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility''

I suggest trying to curb it is a bigger exercise in futility

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post. For the record, I NEVER start that stuff,but I do feel entitled to defend myself if I choose to do so.

[/QUOTE]

One of the first things you did, when you started posting here again, was attack a female poster.

After you took heat for it, you realized you couldn't get away with the same crap you pulled on other sites.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. That was wrong and I apologized to the individual you referenced. It has not happened again. I challenge you to find one more instance when I have initiated that kind of personal stuff with anyone here. It has no place here. Guys like Conan and Burrito and a few others seem almost limited to personal crap. I agree with the OP; it has no place here.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for my apology.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Refresh my memory. For what exactly do I owe you an apology?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

sfbostonfan~

I'm glad you started this thread.  I have been around for a while and things have really gone down hill of late.  Name calling has always been a problem here but it is becoming worse.

I don't post during off season because I find name calling gets out of hand during that time.  When I came here this spring I was shocked at how low this board had gone.  I brought up the issue of name calling at that time.

My policy is, if I wouldn't have a drink with a poster in the real world I won't 'talk' to them on this board.  I have been called all sorts of vile names and was even liken to hitler.  I have tried my very best not to call anyone here names.  It is childish and it seems we should have left that behavior back in kindergarten.

As you all know I'm all for heated debates but I believe we should keep it civil and clean, there are ladies here afterallKiss

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL, nice dodge!  You don't want to apologize and that's fine, I forgive you anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL, nice dodge!  You don't want to apologize and that's fine, I forgive you anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Not a dodge at all. I do not remember initiating a personal attack on you at all. As you can see, if I am wrong, I own up to it and, if necessary, apologize. I view your opinions about the rights of gay people to be bigoted, but thats for another thread-and I am not sure thats what you were referring to anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree about the being public figures mr green

as far as insulting other posters

of course it's wrong

but I have NP with some one responding likewise

I show respect to everyone until they give me a reason not to

the OP says  '' Bickering/Name Calling Among posters is an exercise in Futility''

I suggest trying to curb it is a bigger exercise in futility

[/QUOTE]

I have found that if I try to keep it civil on my part that other posters calm down a bit.  It doesn't happen all the time but it's nice when it does. 

When things calm down then we can have a good debate.  When the name calling is on both sides then things become even more heated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not a dodge at all. I do not remember initiating a personal attack on you at all. As you can see, if I am wrong, I own up to it and, if necessary, apologize. I view your opinions about the rights of gay people to be bigoted, but thats for another thread-and I am not sure thats what you were referring to anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Calling me a bigot is name calling and you were pretty nasty in other areas because of my religious beliefs.  I really don't want to go down that road again.  If you don't feel the need to apologize that's fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Calling me a bigot is name calling and you were pretty nasty in other areas because of my religious beliefs.  I really don't want to go down that road again.  If you don't feel the need to apologize that's fine.

[/QUOTE]

If the shoe fits, wear it. You religious belief are fine for YOU, but don't try to impose them on other people. When the effect of your doing so removes constitutionally guaranteed rights, its called bigotry. The laws of this country are, fortunately, not based on the Bible, the Torah, or the Koran. They are based on the constitution. If you would like to live in a country where the laws are based on religion, there are plenty of choices, but this country is not one of them. Homophobia is the last bastion of socially acceptable bigotry (although its getting less so), and you are a charter member.

No, I am not apologizing to you. If the shoe fits, wear it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the shoe fits, wear it. You religious belief are fine for YOU, but don't try to impose them on other people. When the effect of your doing so removes constitutionally guaranteed rights, its called bigotry. The laws of this country are, fortunately, not based on the Bible, the Torah, or the Koran. They are based on the constitution. If you would like to live in a country where the laws are based on religion, there are plenty of choices, but this country is not one of them. Homophobia is the last bastion of socially acceptable bigotry (although its getting less so), and you are a charter member.

No, I am not apologizing to you. If the shoe fits, wear it.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, don't hold back, tell me how you really feelLaughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then go to a gym or get in the boxing ring. Name calling someone while hiding behind a computer screen is not exactly being brave. Most here would probably think twice if they were face to face with a few posters here.

Heated discussions are perfectly fine. Ive had plenty of them, but have never resorted to school yard name calling or disrespecting someone. Plus if I really wanted to fight someone, I wouldnt call them names. Id do what hockey players do..."Ya wanna go?"

I think the moderators are tired of some of the stuff that was going on here. For those that want to continue the name calling and cant seem to handle a heated debate without it, then I suggest you A) get used to creating new screen names B) go find another site or C) Learn to debate or disagree without being disrespectful.

[/QUOTE]

At least you agree with me..... Maybe others will follow...So what do you call someone on here when you want to get there attention......? Sweety. ? Honey ? Blue eyes? .... Learn to debate?  Run for office..... And still they don't call you honey ? ... I won't be ruff in you and do understand what you want and i will do my best ok .... sweet cheeks !!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At least you agree with me..... Maybe others will follow...So what do you call someone on here when you want to get there attention......? Sweety. ? Honey ? Blue eyes? .... Learn to debate?  Run for office..... And still they don't call you honey ? ... I won't be ruff in you and do understand what you want and i will do my best ok .... sweet cheeks !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I would like to be called 'dearest'Laughing