Big Ben should start worrying....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Big Ben should start worrying....

His low-cost-possible-high-return plan is not going well so far.  Offseason low cost acquisitions hoping to turn out to be high return bottom of rotation guys are falling off.  Padilla's injured, Silva has been released from the team, Bard-Doubront-Aceves are having rough times as ST progress.. Cook is the only guy who's doing fine.  I know it's ST but if one can't succeed in ST, there's no guarantee he will in regular season especially for those candidates mentioned above. 

I'm starting to sense that a trade or two might be coming after hearing all those rumors. (Phillies in need of IF, C; Royals also looking for C help; Floyd availability, etc...)

What are your thoughts right now guys?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Big Ben should start worrying....

In Response to Big Ben should start worrying....:
    [QUOTE]His low-cost-possible-high-return plan is not going well so far.  Offseason low cost acquisitions hoping to turn out to be high return bottom of rotation guys are falling off.  Padilla's injured, Silva has been released from the team, Bard-Doubront-Aceves are having rough times as ST progress.. Cook is the only guy who's doing fine.  I know it's ST but if one can't succeed in ST, there's no guarantee he will in regular season especially for those candidates mentioned above.  I'm starting to sense that a trade or two might be coming after hearing all those rumors. (Phillies in need of IF, C; Royals also looking for C help; Floyd availability, etc...) What are your thoughts right now guys?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    ....that nothing has really changed since the close of 2011....that is we need a lot more starting pitching...a lot. Particularly given Bard is as of yesterday completely failing as a Starter with a 7.00+ ST ERA. We'll be okay on the offensive side of the game, it is just the SP that is a real worry. Also can Melancon take over when Bailey goes down, which he will for sure? Many other questions about our team, but SP is the glaring weakness right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]His low-cost-possible-high-return plan is not going well so far.  Offseason low cost acquisitions hoping to turn out to be high return bottom of rotation guys are falling off.  Padilla's injured, Silva has been released from the team, Bard-Doubront-Aceves are having rough times as ST progress.. Cook is the only guy who's doing fine.  I know it's ST but if one can't succeed in ST, there's no guarantee he will in regular season especially for those candidates mentioned above.  I'm starting to sense that a trade or two might be coming after hearing all those rumors. (Phillies in need of IF, C; Royals also looking for C help; Floyd availability, etc...) What are your thoughts right now guys?

We did very little in the off season to improve our staff until proven otherwise.  Bard and Dice are question marks, Aceves is needed badly in the pen and I'm not sure Melencom or Bailey are better than Pap etc.

We needed to lose Wake and Lackey in my opinion but still need another guy or two that can handle the four and five spot before improving our club.  This needs to be done without Aceves leaving the pen or we will be very slim. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

How about trading for Floyd and sign Oswalt add couple more million now that Sox don't have to worry about paying Silva and Padilla if they make the team which won't be happening. 
    I know this will cost prospects and will go over the luxury tax limit for sure.  But we will have one of the strongest rotation and bullpen in the league at the same time.  Bard and Aceves going back to the pen.

Imagine having Lester-Beckett-Bucholz-Oswalt-Floyd in the rotation and Bard-Aceves-Melancon-Bailey in the pen.  Bard and Aceves will be available for spot starts if needed. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Bard had one rough inning last night.  Otherwise he did pretty well.  I think it's going to take him some time to adjust to starting, but should improve with the season.  Things will start to gel once the normal lineup is in place and everyone has their designated roles spelled out.

I'm more than willing to see where this goes for now.  If by May things are still not looking good, then we might need some trades.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Big Ben should start worrying....:
    [QUOTE]How about trading for Floyd and sign Oswalt add couple more million now that Sox don't have to worry about paying Silva and Padilla if they make the team which won't be happening.  I know this will cost prospects and will go over the luxury tax limit for sure.  But we will have one of the strongest rotation and bullpen in the league at the same time.  Bard and Aceves going back to the pen. Imagine having Lester-Beckett-Bucholz-Oswalt-Floyd in the rotation and Bard-Aceves-Melancon-Bailey in the pen.  Bard and Aceves will be available for spot starts if needed. 

I think you may be giving Floyd "one good year" and the aging Oswalt who has no AL East experience way too much credit for possibly improving our club.  We need to do better than another Wake and Lackey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Big Ben should start worrying.... : ....that nothing has really changed since the close of 2011....that is we need a lot more starting pitching...a lot. Particularly given Bard is as of yesterday completely failing as a Starter with a 7.00+ ST ERA. We'll be okay on the offensive side of the game, it is just the SP that is a real worry. Also can Melancon take over when Bailey goes down, which he will for sure? Many other questions about our team, but SP is the glaring weakness right now.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Sure, and we let a perfectly good servicable starter who likely would have given us 150+ innings and 10 wins, retire, instead of offering him a cheap contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Bard had one rough inning last night.  Otherwise he did pretty well.  I think it's going to take him some time to adjust to starting, but should improve with the season.  Things will start to gel once the normal lineup is in place and everyone has their designated roles spelled out. I'm more than willing to see where this goes for now.  If by May things are still not looking good, then we might need some trades.
    Posted by Koolga[/QUOTE]

THank you, someone else saw it last night too.

If anything I think it was more impressive Bard had a bad inning and then bounced back and shut the Jays down seeing guys more than once through the lineup and maintaining his velocity the entire game. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]  Greetings craze We did very little in the off season to improve our staff until proven otherwise.  Bard and Dice are question marks, Aceves is needed badly in the pen and I'm not sure Melencom or Bailey are better than Pap etc. We needed to lose Wake and Lackey in my opinion but still need another guy or two that can handle the four and five spot before improving our club.  This needs to be done without Aceves leaving the pen or we will be very slim.  Posted by craze4sox not sure why you included Bard and Dice  in the same sentence IMO dice is a huge question, so big that I wouldn't even bring him up   with bard STILL  throwing mid 90's in the 5th last night has 2B encouraging, I know I didn't like it  sure he still had that 1 bad inning but he would have those as a set up man too besides  so many good pitchers do have that 1 bad inning   not sure Melencom or Bailey are better than Pap etc FWIW I recall seeing some stats showing   over the last 2 yrs they were slighty better than paps & bard but that of course wasn't pitching in fenway any thoughts on this post from a different board One thing that bothers me about Andrew Bailey is his home and away splits with strikeouts and walks. He has struck out batters at a 10.4 rate in that big Oakland park and only 7.4 away. His walks on the road are also way more frequent. This tells me he probably pitches more aggresively and more confidently in that big ballpark. The rest of his splits are pretty equal, but he tended to have more home appearances (probably due to more win opportunities).
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Hey zac, I think Bard and Pineda could be exactly what both the Sox and Yanks need if things work out as planned.  I do like the fact Bard knows the hitters in our division pretty well.  With Bailey I felt we probably did as well as expected after planning to sign Papi but definately have my concerns with him living up to Paps best years.  I do think Pap had become much too predictable for teams to face so Bailey may have an edge there this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Doom and gloom already--- pretty typical of this board.  Its spring training--- guys are working on stuff to see if they can use it in games.  You are making way too much of it.   With that said, the Sox could use and need 1 more starter. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Aceves has given up one run, 5 hits and no walks in 9 innings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's still early---

I would feel better having Floyd and Oswalt--two proven starters that don't need an experienced catcher to work with to go with Les, Beck and Buch. Cook, if healthy, may be a nice addition to the rotation.

V and BenC have given Bard a shot--he could be a spot starter-he knows what to do--we need him more in the pen. Just like we need Aceves more in the pen.

If Bailey goes down--I would slide Aceves into the CLOSER role keep Mel and Bard as set-up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Big Ben should start worrying.... : Aceves has given up one run, 5 hits and no walks in 9 innings.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hey Hfx, I love having Aceves on our club.  It's a real tough call to make on whether to take him out of the important role he played last season.  I think he could start and possibly have more success than Bard but the bottom line is to keep him healthy.  I think having him in the pen is a huge plus so hopefully Bard does well and Dice can contribute.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I have been saying all along that Sox need at least two more quality arms. With teams now having a 12 or 13 man pitching staffs, a deep bull-pen is a must. Bard helps if he goes back to setting up. There is still time to get up-grade in overall staff, as it appears now the Sox don't have enough pitching to make a serious run in "12".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

It would be nice to add an established starter, but so far the staff as it stands has done well. No need to panic just because Bard had a bad inning. Hopefully Padilla gets back quickly as he has looked good this spring. I don't think we need to be anymore concerned at this point than the Yankees need be about Pineda. This is what spring training is about. The Sox are going to be just fine this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]It would be nice to add an established starter, but so far the staff as it stands has done well. No need to panic just because Bard had a bad inning. Hopefully Padilla gets back quickly as he has looked good this spring. I don't think we need to be anymore concerned at this point than the Yankees need be about Pineda. This is what spring training is about. The Sox are going to be just fine this year.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

The problem with picking up guys like Padilla is just that, they will more often than not be on the DL.  We got very lucky with Aceves, it would be nice to see that kind of production from another source.  This years club won't be much different unless it happens whether it be Bard or another.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

big ben should start worrying. the pitching on this team is very suspect. I still dont really like bard as a starter and would feel much more comfortable with him as a set up man. right now melancon is our only set up man and he has not looked great in spring training. if we had a healthy bobby jenks at the back of the pen too, that would be another story. (but we dont) I would say i am comfortable with 4 spots in the rotation lester, beckett,buchholz, ______, doubront. I have been impressed by doubront this spring and think he should get the numbre 5 spot  to start the season. plus its nice to have 2 lefties in the rotation. The number 4 spot should be filled via trade for gavin floyd or signing roy oswalt. shift bard to set up and solidfy the back of the pen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]big ben should start worrying. the pitching on this team is very suspect. I still dont really like bard as a starter and would feel much more comfortable with him as a set up man. right now melancon is our only set up man and he has not looked great in spring training. if we had a healthy bobby jenks at the back of the pen too, that would be another story. (but we dont) I would say i am comfortable with 4 spots in the rotation lester, beckett,buchholz, ______, doubront. I have been impressed by doubront this spring and think he should get the numbre 5 spot  to start the season. plus its nice to have 2 lefties in the rotation. The number 4 spot should be filled via trade for gavin floyd or signing roy oswalt. shift bard to set up and solidfy the back of the pen. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

What they need to do is throw them all in a bag and pick out two for the 4 and 5 spots.

Sections
Shortcuts