Big Contracts, 2013, and Beyond...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Big Contracts, 2013, and Beyond...

There is still time to get prospects via the waiver wire. What are we waiting for?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anybody heard about a Ross waiver deal rumor?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Moon, I completely agree that asking Beckett, Buchholz, Lester to stay health and productive through 2013 is a lot to ask.  We definately need a top 3 starter.  I'd be interested in any of:

Greinke
    Peavy
    Marcum

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that CWS doesnt pick up that option.  I know how ludicrous that sounds, but they may be willing to pay a sizable premium to get him on a 1 yr deal.  It would almost be liek the MLB equivalent of a franchise tag.                  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Of course, Im hoping the Wsox dont excercise the option.  The more free agents the better.  Maybe teams will go crazy bidding for Peavy/Greinke, and we'll be able to steal Marcum for 3 yrs/ 33M

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Big Contracts, 2013, and Beyond...:
    [QUOTE]A $10M FA starter is not going to lead us to a ring. We need to trade for a young stud or get lucky somehow.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The issue is that we have not really had a true "ace" since 2007-a pitcher that can be counted on to limit the other guys to so few runs that we have a very good chance of winning every five days; someone to match up against the Weavers and Sabathias in the league. Getting another #3 or 4 SP is not going to do it. We have those guys, potentially. Perhaps the wisest approach is to plan for 2015 and trade position players of value for top notch pitching prospects. Guys like Pedroia and Ellsbury could bring in a haul of such prospects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]I've mentioned how "overpaying" a free agent saves money on developing a player through your system and how it usually takes paying to develop many many preospects to get one tha contributes. It's not about just looking at the cost of the FA. Also, when you compare a FA signing and compare him to non-free agent contracts, it is a bit misleading. Many "team friendly" contracts were signed by players before they reached arb or during the early arb years, when "free market" prices just don't apply. Here's a list of FS starters this winter (Age at start of 2013): Greinke (29) A Sanchez (29) McCarthy (29) C Lewis (33) Lohse (34) Marcum (31) Guthrie (33+) Pavano (37) Saunders (31) J Sanchez (30) Lowe (39) Liriano (29) Dice-K (32) Blanton (32) Correia (32) Zambrano (31) (Player vesting option is void) Pitchers in  Red  will likely be Free Agents due to high option cost... Options: Peavy  (31) $22M club w $4M buyout Dickey $5M club w $300K buyout Shields $9M club w $1.5M buyout, then 2014: $12M club w $1M buyout Floyd  $9.5M club no buyout E Santana  (29) $13M club w $1M buyout (May be kept by LAA) Hudson $9M club w $1M buyout Haren  (32) $15.5M club w $3.5M buyout (May be kept by LAA) Westbrook $8.5M mutual w $1M buyout of club declines R. Hernandez  (32) $9M club & 2014 $12M club Baker $9.25  (31) M club de la Rosa $11M   PLAYER OPTION   w $M buyout, if taken club 2014 option. While Peavy, Lewis, Lohse, Marcum, and Haren offer hopes of a nice return, their ages and/or injury histories are troublesome. The plus to these guys 9except for Peavy and marcum at age 31 is that the others might be had at short term deals. Probably the best available FA pitchers for the Sox are: Best: Greinke Peavy A Sanchez McCarthy Good: Haren Santana Marginal: Lohse/Marcum/Guthrie

I don't see any potential aces there. I could live with Greinke, Sanchez, or McCarthy as a replacement for Beckett, but they are still not the "ace" caliber pitcher we need to win a ring IMO. Prospects are probably the way to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Of course, Im hoping the Wsox dont excercise the option. The more free agents the better. Maybe teams will go crazy bidding for Peavy/Greinke, and we'll be able to steal Marcum for 3 yrs/ 33M.

I see Marcum as a solid number 3 or lower #2 type, not an ace, but he surely would help better than those who think building from the bottom is the way to go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]Of course, Im hoping the Wsox dont excercise the option. The more free agents the better. Maybe teams will go crazy bidding for Peavy/Greinke, and we'll be able to steal Marcum for 3 yrs/ 33M.   I see Marcum as a solid number 3 or lower #2 type, not an ace, but he surely would help better than those who think building from the bottom is the way to go.

I like Marcum.  He has pitched well with both Toronto and Milwaukee.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A. Sanchez & McCarthy are also options, but they are gambles moving to the AL East.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now we know Shoppach was the rat.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Are Ben's comments setting up a trade for Beckett or just trying to build his confidence and sense of security?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Alert:

Stunning new idea from softy!

Trade Jake.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where did I say that?

You invent lies by the buckets.

I said...

How much will he get in his last arb year? Not having a big 2012 will help keep that cost down, but I think the Sox have to look at total value:
    Ellsbury + his 2013 contract cost+ 2 draft picks in 2014...

Cost down from what it could have been had he had a big year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Jake had a year like 2011 this year, or had he just had a career average & healthy year, he would have gotten a bigger raise than he will now, correct or not?

Having a poor year will keep the cost down. I know that's hard for your mind to comprehend that a raise can actually keep payroll lower than what it could have been or was projected to be before Jake's bad year hit the books, but do try and keep up.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury having a bad year will keep the expenses lower than if he had a good year.

That's a fact, clown.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One big assumption I have been going on is that the Sox 2012 player budget will stay close to what it is now. If we go a lot lower or higher, everything changes.

I'm beginning to think we may go over the cap significantly next year, but not with a big name 5+ year deal, but rather with 2-3 mid-sized signings.

It would help if we could get under the luxury tax limit this year, so the hit won't be so great next year. Clinging to the hope that we can win this year as the waiver deadline passes would be a big mistake. We can not only get under the limit, but get some decent prospects along the way. This will greater position us to make a winter trade or tow of prospects for a solid starter or big bopper bat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does anybody have a credible link to show what our luxury tax budget is estimated at for this year (counting the player fund contribution) other than Cot's (who have us at $175.2M)?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]One big assumption I have been going on is that the Sox 2012 player budget will stay close to what it is now. If we go a lot lower or higher, everything changes. I'm beginning to think we may go over the cap significantly next year, but not with a big name 5+ year deal, but rather with 2-3 mid-sized signings. It would help if we could get under the luxury tax limit this year, so the hit won't be so great next year. Clinging to the hope that we can win this year as the waiver deadline passes would be a big mistake. We can not only get under the limit, but get some decent prospects along the way. This will greater position us to make a winter trade or tow of prospects for a solid starter or big bopper bat.

I'm guessing the Sox will be non-free agent bidders. They are painting a situation that spells next competitive Sox team will be somewhere around 2016.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm guessing the Sox will be non-free agent bidders. They are painting a situation that spells next competitive Sox team will be somewhere around 2016.

Then we should see a clearinghouse selling off this winter.

On another note....

Does anyone else think it is ironic thatm softy now has the on his profile the picture of the guy who called "Jake" the next "Ted Williams" and set in motion his whole moronic obsession against a non-existent throng of fans that grossly over-rated Ellsbury's value?

Too funny!