BIG May Trade on the horizon !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

BIG May Trade on the horizon !!!

Bill-806 in all his 60 year wisdom seems to think a big "move" is about to happen, and any day now !!!!

Thanks Bill for giving us hope!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Re: BIG May Trade on the horizon !!!

"TRANSFORMATION"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

The next thirty days are telling !!! will speak volumes !!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

CHANGE FOR CHANGE'S SAKE - always a good plan for Bill806

Time to blow it up

insert your blockbustah cliches here

Ben, Dad will be in touch....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

CHANGE FOR CHANGE'S SAKE - always a good plan for Bill806

Time to blow it up

insert your blockbustah cliches here

Ben, Dad will be in touch....

[/QUOTE]Not at liberty to speak at this time !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I thought holding Doubront out tonight might mean they were working on something with perhaps Miami and they were talking Doubront .

They have to make some moves before the AS break which is a distance away.

Size, Carp or Nava I could see going.

If WMB doesn't start hitting i could see him being demoted to AAA in favor of Holt or Ryan Roberts. Cecch as much as I like his bat he is not hitting well against Lefty's.

As much as I like JBJ's glove his .211 is not showing much. He could be replaced by Size and Nava could be brought up against RH pitchers and Gomes Vs. Left handers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The return on Size, Carp and/or Nava would me minimal and probably less value than what they are possibly worth to us. Middy's stock is low too. A team like Miami wants youth, not these guys. They may take Middy as part of a bigger deal.

I don't see how replacing JBJ's .655 OPS with Grady's .657 OPs is going to help at all, especially when counting in defense.

It's going to come down to deciding on giving up top prospects to make a stronger push for a 2014 ring. Any trade will probably have to wait until close to the deadline. We'll know a bit more about what our weakest link is, how our kids look, and who is available from teams already out of it or looking to rebuild.

We may be able to pawn off Carp or Nava for something decent, like a nice prospect, but nothing earth-shattering.

With about $9M in luxury limit budget space, the longer we wait, the bigger salary guy(s) we can get as the pro-ration of his contract will lessen by the day. In theory, if we wait until July 31st, we only will pay about 1/3 of a player's contract.  With $9M to spend, we could maybe trade for 1-3  players with a yearly pricetag of about $27M. (Salary dumps or otherwise)

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The return on Size, Carp and/or Nava would me minimal and probably less value than what they are possibly worth to us. Middy's stock is low too. A team like Miami wants youth, not these guys. They may take Middy as part of a bigger deal.

I don't see how replacing JBJ's .655 OPS with Grady's .657 OPs is going to help at all, especially when counting in defense.

It's going to come down to deciding on giving up top prospects to make a stronger push for a 2014 ring. Any trade will probably have to wait until close to the deadline. We'll know a bit more about what our weakest link is, how our kids look, and who is available from teams already out of it or looking to rebuild.

We may be able to pawn off Carp or Nava for something decent, like a nice prospect, but nothing earth-shattering.

With about $9M in luxury limit budget space, the longer we wait, the bigger salary guy(s) we can get as the pro-ration of his contract will lessen by the day. In theory, if we wait until July 31st, we only will pay about 1/3 of a player's contract.  With $9M to spend, we could maybe trade for 1-3  players with a yearly pricetag of about $27M. (Salary dumps or otherwise)

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I do think that the Sox will make a move...but to your point it's still to early. May blockbusters are rare due to teams still wanting to hold on to marque players in the interest of keeping their fan bases connected and not wanting to raise the white flag to early. While the Sox haven't exactly lit up the score board they are still in the mix for the WC and the Division due to no one team in the AL East or the AL not named the Tigers separating themselves from the pack. 

The reality is the Sox need another bat...or increased production from everyone not named Pedrioa, Napoli & Ortiz. Bogaerts getting hot would help....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill-806 in all his 60 year wisdom seems to think a big "move" is about to happen, and any day now !!!!

Thanks Bill for giving us hope!

[/QUOTE]

Lets all hope your right !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I do think that the Sox will make a move...but to your point it's still to early. May blockbusters are rare due to teams still wanting to hold on to marque players in the interest of keeping their fan bases connected and not wanting to raise the white flag to early. While the Sox haven't exactly lit up the score board they are still in the mix for the WC and the Division due to no one team in the AL East or the AL not named the Tigers separating themselves from the pack. 

The reality is the Sox need another bat...or increased production from everyone not named Pedrioa, Napoli & Ortiz. Bogaerts getting hot would help....

[/QUOTE]

That's a major problem with sox right now is relying on other teams in division to keep losing . We suck but were right in the mix??? That's a great way to think ? Win and stop watching who's losing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hard to imagine I'm saying this but he's a guy whose power bat I have liked--Mark Reynolds. He can play 3B or 1B.

8 HR's and 15 RBI with a .229 BA. Granted he's batting only .030 higher than WMB; he's a threat that can hit behind Ortiz, and Nap and ahead of AJ or Xander. The batting Order needs to be extended.

Butter can work with him around 3 B. They could probably pick him up for a prospect.

Find me another HR guy , with experience that's inexpensive. Sure he strikes out a lot. Talk about K's--JBJ, XBo and Middlebrooks are  going to rival Nap from last years record for Red Sox K's.

All three young guys in last nights 7,8 and 9 spots in the order each struck out --WMB-2 X and the #6 batter, AJ,  K'd 3 X.. The 3 young guys average a K a game and it will get worse when they face better pitching.

How long will JF and BenC go with WMB before they make a move? How low does his BA and production have to go? Yes I realize he got the game winning hit last week. Give WMB and yes JBJ a couple of weeks at AAA to get their swings back or stay there until we desperately need them. Yes we lose JBJ's  D----Stolen  bases? HR? from these two youngish guys?

Help them, help the Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most other teams need a big bat or top pitcher as well. Every team has serious flaws right now, even the ones off to a good start.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav, isn't it possible that if even good teams--defined as teams off to a good start--have "serious flaws," that maybe your definition of serious flaws is a tad expansive?   Or maybe you are right because a team that loses 2 out of 5 games can expect to win 97 games, which is a bunch and a pretty good bet to get you into the playoffs.  Last year the Sox won 97 and had the best record in the AL and no doubt had "serious flaws."  No Manny, for one.  No Iglesias, for another.  Victorino missing a lot of games for another.  Buchholz missing over half the season for another.  Chaos among the closers (before Uehara emerged) for another.  Opening day third baseman sent back to AAA for another.  Clean up hitter setting a new Sox record in K's for another. Or maybe those are just flaws and not quite serious flaws. 

A quick look at team stats suggests that so far this is the year of the pitcher.  The best won-lost records right now belong to five teams:  Oakland, San Francisco, Detroit, Atlanta, and Milwaukee.  Is it just coincidence that those same five teams have five the six lowest ERA's in MLB right now?  And isn't it interesting that only 1 of those teams, Oakland, is also a high scoring team, ranked 2d?  Detroit is 9th in runs scored, San Francisco 15th, Milwaukee 18th, and Atlanta 29th.  I will freely admit Detroit actually has both good pitching and good hitting to produce that .657 winning percentage, best in MLB.  They have only scored 169 runs in part because they've only played 35 games, fewest in MLB, but they are averaging 4.8 runs per game, which is pretty good--6th best in MLB. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Red Sox are only 1.5 games back in the division. They don't need to do anything, except try to win with what they have now. Let's re-visit the situation in two months.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox are only 1.5 games back in the division. They don't need to do anything, except try to win with what they have now. Let's re-visit the situation in two months.

[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Let's shut down the board for 2 months; by the time we all get back the board will be fixed. And I'm sure the SOX will still be 1.5 games back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Let's shut down the board for 2 months; by the time we all get back the board will be fixed. And I'm sure the SOX will still be 1.5 games back.

[/QUOTE]

I am referring to trades. But if a trade must be made in the interim, it might as well be to open up a spot on the major league roster for someone like Mookie Betts, who clearly merits a promotion. The Red Sox are not getting adequate offensive production at the major league level, so I doubt it would hurt to plug in one of the prospects. Move Betts back to his original position of shortstop for the next month, then package Middlebrooks, Doubront, and Nava for a corner outfielder, and call up one of the pitching prospects (or someone like Workman) for the open rotation spot.

Another interesting possibility, though it would never happen, would be a Red Sox/Yankees swap. The Red Sox have a surplus of pitching. The Yankees have a surplus of outfielders. How about Doubront for Ichiro?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslav, isn't it possible that if even good teams--defined as teams off to a good start--have "serious flaws," that maybe your definition of serious flaws is a tad expansive? Or maybe you are right because a team that loses 2 out of 5 games can expect to win 97 games, which is a bunch and a pretty good bet to get you into the playoffs. Last year the Sox won 97 and had the best record in the AL and no doubt had "serious flaws." No Manny, for one. No Iglesias, for another. Victorino missing a lot of games for another. Buchholz missing over half the season for another. Chaos among the closers (before Uehara emerged) for another. Opening day third baseman sent back to AAA for another. Clean up hitter setting a new Sox record in K's for another. Or maybe those are just flaws and not quite serious flaws.

A quick look at team stats suggests that so far this is the year of the pitcher. The best won-lost records right now belong to five teams: Oakland, San Francisco, Detroit, Atlanta, and Milwaukee. Is it just coincidence that those same five teams have five the six lowest ERA's in MLB right now? And isn't it interesting that only 1 of those teams, Oakland, is also a high scoring team, ranked 2d? Detroit is 9th in runs scored, San Francisco 15th, Milwaukee 18th, and Atlanta 29th. I will freely admit Detroit actually has both good pitching and good hitting to produce that .657 winning percentage, best in MLB. They have only scored 169 runs in part because they've only played 35 games, fewest in MLB, but they are averaging 4.8 runs per game, which is pretty good--6th best in MLB.

Every team has serious flaws. Some teams have had some season-ending injuries to key players. Some teams have obvious weak links at certain positions. Some have both.

There's a long way to go in this season, and some of these flaws will be exposed. Some new flaws may develop as well.

I do not think we have that many more serious flaws as the teams off to a great start. They will have their bad stretches at some point this season. We have yet to have a good stretch. I am fairly certain when all is said and done, we will be near the top of the wins list at season's end.

I could be wrong. I could be very wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Detroit has a SS with a .517 OPS and a 3Bman with a .646 OPS. They have a 39 year old closer.

Oakland has had SP injuries. Their 1Bman has an OPS below .420and a 2Bman just over .500!

Milwaukee has 3 starting players under .700.

SFG have 3 starters with a WHIP over 1.400 and a 3Bman with an OPS of about .550.

Atlanta had 5 guys below .700, including 3 below .635.

All these teams are a 5-7 game losing streak away from their fans screaming about their weak link(s).

I'm not trying to gloss over our weaknesses. We have several. Some may be or turn out to be larger than any of us think they are or will be. I still like our roster and think we can and will compete with the best of other teams. 

owox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am referring to trades. But if a trade must be made in the interim, it might as well be to open up a spot on the major league roster for someone like Mookie Betts, who clearly merits a promotion. The Red Sox are not getting adequate offensive production at the major league level, so I doubt it would hurt to plug in one of the prospects. Move Betts back to his original position of shortstop for the next month, then package Middlebrooks, Doubront, and Nava for a corner outfielder, and call up one of the pitching prospects (or someone like Workman) for the open rotation spot.

Another interesting possibility, though it would never happen, would be a Red Sox/Yankees swap. The Red Sox have a surplus of pitching. The Yankees have a surplus of outfielders. How about Doubront for Ichiro?

[/QUOTE]

I would take anyone not named Doubront for Doubront.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Any news on the big trade yet?    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront for Beckett?

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The trouble with trades is that you have to give up young prospects. You can live to regret that. With free agents it is strictly cash. You can regret that also, but at least you still have your prospects.

Stabbed by Foulke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Any news on the big trade yet?    [/QUOTE]

kinda strange none of the usual big time May sellers have moved any of their top sluggers yet.  must be Ben's fault for not being a visionary, creative, swashbuckling GM like all the others.

sigh

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Doubront for Beckett?

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Tough call. One's over the hill, the other hasn't even started climbing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The trouble with trades is that you have to give up young prospects. You can live to regret that. With free agents it is strictly cash. You can regret that also, but at least you still have your prospects.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

So far the SOX are 0-3 concerning prospects. (Is WMB still considered a prospect?)