Big Opportunity for Cook

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Big Opportunity for Cook

Tonight's start against the Yankees is a big opportunity for Cook to nail down a spot in the starting rotation.

He may not be able to go five innings tonight, but if he looks good again for say four innings I am thinking that Valentine starts to consider him for the 5th slot in the rotation especially since the 5th starter is not going to be needed until April 12th.

April 12 is still over three weeks away, and one would have to think that if Cook does well tonight, doesn't get hurt again and looks decent in his next two exhibition starts and maybe another start in one of Pawtucket's last exhibition games that he can develop enough endurance to pitch at least six innings over the next three weeks.

Such a move would begin to sort out both the bottom of the rotation as well as the bullpen with either Bard or Aceves (maybe both) moving back to the pen to start the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Big Opportunity for Cook

Yup.  Big start here.  I want Cook in the ro.  Righty sinkerballer in Fenway with Cook's make-up.  Check.  All day.  The timetable is tight, but, especially if he shows well today, it is doable.  He is a fascinating possibility, the most ligit of the low-risk/high-reward invitees.  

I wonder if Cook makes the rotation, does this put another check in the Start Iglesias column?  He will be a vacuum cleaner over there when Cook starts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Two weeks to opening day and we still don't know who our 4 or 5 is; who our starting SS is; who our starting RF is; who our starting LF is; and who our leadoff hitter is.
    Ciraco (sp), Lavarnway, and Iglesias have all played well enough to make the 25 man roster on many teams, but most likely won't, and Lester is still trying to find a groove. It could be another bad April from him and April is probably the most brutal part of the 2012 schedule:

Tigers
    Jays
    Rays
    Rangers
    Yankees
    Twins
    WS

Ouch! We do get the A's on the 30th though!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Big Opportunity for Cook:
    Two weeks to opening day and we still don't know who our 4 or 5 is; who our starting SS is; who our starting RF is; who our starting LF is; and who our leadoff hitter is. Ciraco (sp), Lavarnway, and Iglesias have all played well enough to make the 25 man roster on many teams, but most likely won't, and Lester is still trying to find a groove. It could be another bad April from him and April is probably the most brutal part of the 2012 schedule: Tigers Jays Rays Rangers Yankees Twins WS Ouch! We do get the A's on the 30th though!
    Posted by Alibiike

Certainly a tough start to the month, but the Twins and White Sox really don't scare me.

As for Ciraco, he hasn't done anything in 7 minor league seasons, that's why he won't break camp in MLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

lineups for tonight's tilt........

Brett Gardner LF
    Curtis Granderson CF
    Andruw Jones RF
    Eric Chavez 3B
    Raul Ibanez DH
    Brandon Laird 1B
    Jose Gil C
    Ramiro Pena 2B
    Doug Bernier SS

Pitching: David Phelps

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    Kevin Youkilis 3B
    Adrian Gonzalez 1B
    David Ortiz DH
    Cody Ross LF
    Ryan Sweeney RF
    Kelly Shoppach C
    Mike Aviles SS

Pitching: Aaron Cook

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I too would also like to see a good sinkerball pitcher on the mound at Fenway, Space..Cook has an opt out on may 1st i believe if hes not on the MLB roster..They might give him a couple starts in AAA before he comes up...That will give them some time to see him a few more times while giving Bard/Aceves/Doubront a chance. Doubront is out of options along with Bowden. Gonna be interesting what happens to Miller and his bad hammy..If Aceves gets a spot in the rotation, I think Padilla could take over his role in the pen. Either way, things usually work themselves out and its gonna be fun to watch...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

Supposedly he will not be stretched out enough to be ready for opening day and maybe not when they need a 5th starter. But he may be able to take the slot a bit later. We shall see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Big Opportunity for Cook:
    Tonight's start against the Yankees is a big opportunity for Cook to nail down a spot in the starting rotation. He may not be able to go five innings tonight, but if he looks good again for say four innings I am thinking that Valentine starts to consider him for the 5th slot in the rotation especially since the 5th starter is not going to be needed until April 12th. April 12 is still over three weeks away, and one would have to think that if Cook does well tonight, doesn't get hurt again and looks decent in his next two exhibition starts and maybe another start in one of Pawtucket's last exhibition games that he can develop enough endurance to pitch at least six innings over the next three weeks. Such a move would begin to sort out both the bottom of the rotation as well as the bullpen with either Bard or Aceves (maybe both) moving back to the pen to start the season.
    Posted by charliedarling

pretty good outing...it'd be great if he can continue

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Big Opportunity for Cook : pretty good outing...it'd be great if he can continue
    Posted by SinceYaz

A great first 3 innings, started to tire in the 4th and was leaving sinkers up though.  It's all about stamina right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Big Opportunity for Cook : A great first 3 innings, started to tire in the 4th and was leaving sinkers up though.  It's all about stamina right now.
    Posted by JB-3

I always start to fade after a few myself ....

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts