Big Papi' $AM$UNG

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Big Papi' $AM$UNG

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Another picture at Mandela's funeral
	President Barack Obama jokes with Danish prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt, left, as first lady Michelle Obama looks on at right during the memorial service for former South African president Nelson Mandela at the FNB Stadium in Soweto, near Johannesburg, South Africa, Tuesday Dec. 10, 2013. 

'67, it wasn't a "funeral."

This from CNN.com: "Inside the stadium, the atmosphere was celebratory, with people dancing, blowing vuvuzela plastic horns and singing songs from the anti-apartheid struggle."

Oh, and here's another picture from the memorial service:

[/QUOTE]

It was a memorial service, still a time to show respect.  There is nothing wrong with smiling, but I think michelle agrees with me that there was something wrong with obama's behavior.

Look at the people around the prez, very different behavior. Heads of states are expected to show proper decorom.  The prez dropped the ball, michelle didn't.

My point is this.  The white house shouldn't have a problem with what ortiz did if they didn't have a problem with what the prez did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

President Barack Obama jokes with Danish prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt, left, as first lady Michelle Obama looks on at right during the memorial service for former South African president Nelson Mandela at the FNB Stadium in Soweto, near Johannesburg, South Africa, Tuesday Dec. 10, 2013. 

This from CNN.com: "Inside the stadium, the atmosphere was celebratory, with people dancing, blowing vuvuzela plastic horns and singing songs from the anti-apartheid struggle."

[/QUOTE]

It was a memorial service, still a time to show respect.  There is nothing wrong with smiling, but I think michelle agrees with me that there was something wrong with obama's behavior.

Look at the people around the prez, very different behavior.

[/QUOTE]

But you're OK with Bush's behavior? The guy in front of him looks asleep.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The story behind this picture, as just told by Tom Warner: Ortiz walked over to visit this Veteran at Walter Reed, and he told him he was more of a hockey fan. Ortiz oh OK, took out his SAMSUNG phone, called Shaun Thornton and said there's someone here who wants to talk to you and handed the wounded Vet his phone. Anyone? 

[/QUOTE]

I heard this on WEEI this morning .... sadly, you won't read this story in any of the papers.
    Great story, and the fact he never flinched...right away he dials Shawn :-) LOVE IT!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look at the people around the prez, very different behavior.

[/QUOTE]

But you're OK with Bush's behavior? The guy in front of him looks asleep.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, good thing bush is still alive because how else would you deflect questions about obama!  I don't agree with michelle on much but I do agree with her on this.

[/QUOTE]

I think  there are many good reasons why President Bush is still alive. But as for "deflecting questions," you just did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The comp between the Mandela memorial celebration and Papi selfie dust ups is actually a good one - in the sense that, together, they help gain the proper perspective - which is, RELAX, ITS ALL GOOD.  

That amazing day of celebration for Mandela was a memorial, yes.  But the essence was a celebration of one of the great people and true heroes of our time.  It was a joyous day, depsite the rain, filled with laughter and tears.  Obama (and Bush) sharing a light-hearted moment with someone is a non-issue.  In fact, if someone actually watches footage of that day, it is in step with the beautiful joyous tenor of the day.

By the same token, a sports team visiting the POTUS after a championship is a light-hearted, feel-good celebration of American past-time fun.  A little whimsy is not out of line.  The president himself set the light-hearted casual tone.  Again, if anyone actually watched the footage and doesnt just read the intentionally provocative headlines, they would likely come to the same conclusion.

Both cases: much ado about NOTHING.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The comp between the Mandela memorial celebration and Papi selfie dust ups is actually a good one - in the sense that, together, they help gain the proper perspective - which is, RELAX, ITS ALL GOOD.  

That amazing day of celebration for Mandela was a memorial, yes.  But the essence was a celebration of one of the great people and true heroes of our time.  It was a joyous day, depsite the rain, filled with laughter and tears.  Obama (and Bush) sharing a light-hearted moment with someone is a non-issue.  In fact, if someone actually watches footage of that day, it is in step with the beautiful joyous tenor of the day.

By the same token, a sports team visiting the POTUS after a championship is a light-hearted, feel-good celebration of American past-time fun.  A little whimsy is not out of line.  The president himself set the light-hearted casual tone.  Again, if anyone actually watched the footage and doesnt just read the intentionally provocative headlines, they would likely come to the same conclusion.

[/QUOTE]

Even if you don't watch video you can google "Mandella memorial service" images and see people dancing and laughing throughout the stadium. But who cares about facts anymore.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

classless move on Papi's part. That said it's not a huge deal and life goes on...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look at the people around the prez, very different behavior. Heads of states are expected to show proper decorom.  The prez dropped the ball, michelle didn't.

My point is this.  The white house shouldn't have a problem with what ortiz did if they didn't have a problem with what the prez did.

[/QUOTE]

The racist undertones in this post don't make you look good.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, thanks for the laugh!

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My point is if the white house didn't have a problem with obama's selfie they shouldn't have a problem with the selfie ortiz took.

Ortiz took a picture of himself with the president, big deal.  Obama allowed it to happen so it wasn't a big deal to him.

I have objected to some or ortiz's behavior in the past but I have no problem with his selfie.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Frankly, I do not understand what the big deal is about all of this. Perhaps someone could let me know what happened and why there is so much concern about Ortiz's behavior. I admit I was in Las Vegas when all this went down and wasn't paying attention to it at all. Is this really about Ortiz having his picture taken with Obama with a cell phone in the pic as well? Really?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to PompanoJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They will probably blame Bush for Owebummercare by the time all is said and done.

[/QUOTE]

7MM americans have health insurance today that might not have had it a few weeks ago.  Bush should be so lucky.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Frankly, I do not understand what the big deal is about all of this. Perhaps someone could let me know what happened and why there is so much concern about Ortiz's behavior. I admit I was in Las Vegas when all this went down and wasn't paying attention to it at all. Is this really about Ortiz having his picture taken with Obama with a cell phone in the pic as well? Really?

[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's about it. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The same day as the event at the White House, the internet carried a truly excellent selfie, shot by Ortiz, of him and the President and about a dozen Sox players and executives in the background.  Spontaneous, marvelous picture/happening.  Wild applause, Big Papi. 

Then the story came out that Ortiz had actually engaged with Samsung to do this picture for money, so suddenly the selfie was not quite so spontaneours, marvelous or worthy of wild applause.  It was just one very wealthy MLB player trying to make even more money, perhaps to cover part of his alimony, who knows. 

Opinion on the above is divided.  I side with those who think Ortiz was out of line, but others think the President was out of line for even inviting the Sox to the White House for blatant and scurrilous political exploitation.   How dare he? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PompanoJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They will probably blame Bush for Owebummercare by the time all is said and done.

[/QUOTE]

7MM americans have health insurance today that might not have had it a few weeks ago.  Bush should be so lucky.

[/QUOTE]

Only morons and religious fanatics (same thing) stick up for Bush. 

[/QUOTE]

Thats an overgeneralization and you know it. I am no Bush fan, but I can see how some people can have the opinion that Bush, despite his faults, OVERALL is not a bad person or even a bad President. Some of his policies were, IMO, off base, but others such as the tax cuts he advocated were on target. Its short sighted to say that only morons and religious fanatics defend Bush; some highly intelligent nonreligious individuals support him too.

Sections
Shortcuts