BIG PAPI is giving it 100%

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

BIG PAPI is giving it 100%

One thing we all know is that the Big Fella can hit, but how about the base running of late , two triples in the last 2 weeks, he hadn't gotten two triples in the last 3 years. 

He looks like he has lost 10-20 lbs, he looks in the best shape since he came to Boston.  He's hitting to all fields , with power as usual. but he looks different, more determined, more focused. Personally I think Theo Epstein owes most of his success to the Big Man. They don't win in 2004 or 2007 without Big Papi. IMHO.

They need to lock him up for 3 more years ,  3x $12 should get it done. Make the contract dependent on him keeping his present body shape, include a personal trainer in the deal. The man can flat out hit, they need him, for sure.

Gonzo is terrific , Youk is great,  Pedroia is the best second baseman in baseball , Ellsbury may be the best centerfielder in baseball . There is no may be in Papi, he is the best DH in baseball .They will not win without him. Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100%

if one is to use jd crawford's salary as a guide line, then 36 million for ortiz is a bargain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I don't like it when he doesn't run out balls though. He is the biggest culprit on the team in that regard.

He has been hot as heck lately and that is helping a lot. This team has had a lot of success even with a less than excellent pitching staff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I'd still offer him arb, let him walk, take the 2 picks, save over $20 mil., increase roster flexibility and slot Lavarnway as the primary DH next year. Use the money saved to land CJ Wilson or other options. We lost Matsuzaka and Lackey doesn't look to be close to what he was when signed. I'd rather have another top starter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

I was as skeptical as anyone, but it has been great to see Papi have such a tremendous season . . . I don't really know what it will take, but it would be great if they can work out a deal

here's a thought/question . . . certainly the Sox have a great chance to make a run at another title . . . should they prove successful and Big Dave helps lead the charge, does he become the only player is Sox history to be significantly instrumental in 3 titles ????

the only qualifiers would be from the '12 to '18, but even Babe Ruth wasn't really part of the '15 effort

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100%:
    [QUOTE]if one is to use jd crawford's salary as a guide line, then 36 million for ortiz is a bargain.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Theo could have extended Papi's contract for two years two months ago, but the price of poker just went up. Could you imagine Papi in the Bronx? Scary , they will be in the hunt if the Sox don't close the deal.

Crawford's deal, not good , but chill out , just think you can bash Theo every week for the next six years. Hopefully that's not the case, and CC will get the stats of the past, either way you win. If he fails , you get to pound him unmercifully, if he comes around you can post on a different subject, your choice. How good is that, you can't lose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like it when he doesn't run out balls though. He is the biggest culprit on the team in that regard. He has been hot as heck lately and that is helping a lot. This team has had a lot of success even with a less than excellent pitching staff.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Are you talking pre bursitis, of the heal. He must have had the pain for a while. Plus he runs hard when he gets on base, to a fault. Bogar sent him last year, when he had no chance, he slid, hurt his leg and foot was out for three weeks. Who would you rather have , Papi who doesn't sprint to first base, or Papi who can carry the team?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100% : Theo could have extended Papi's contract for two years two months ago, but the price of poker just went up. Could you imagine Papi in the Bronx? Scary , they will be in the hunt if the Sox don't close the deal. Crawford's deal, not good , but chill out , the stats of the past, either way you win. If he fails , you gjust think you can bash Theo every week for the next six years. Hopefully that's not the case, and CC will get et to pound him unmercifully, if he comes around you can post on a different subject, your choice. How good is that, you can't lose.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

hopefully, he'll be in chicago by next season. and don't worry, boot-licker, crawford will fail.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]I'd still offer him arb, let him walk, take the 2 picks, save over $20 mil., increase roster flexibility and slot Lavarnway as the primary DH next year. Use the money saved to land CJ Wilson or other options. We lost Matsuzaka and Lackey doesn't look to be close to what he was when signed. I'd rather have another top starter.

Ortiz is a ten and five player. Ten years in the League, five years on the same team. The MLB players agreement has it that there is no compensation. He walks the Sox get Nada. Zip Zero. So probably they better sign the man. There is only one other team in baseball who have the money and could use the best DH in MLB. That would be the team 225 miles south of Boston. Can you say heaven forbid, this would be the ultimate dagger.

Not as bad as Babe Ruth leaving Boston for NY, or Sparky Lyle for Danny Cater , well maybe worse than that one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100% : hopefully, he'll be in chicago by next season. and don't worry, boot-licker, crawford will fail.

Fracking Yankee fan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100% : hopefully, he'll be in chicago by next season. and don't worry, boot-licker, crawford will fail.

I'm not a bootlicker actually, I have no use for the Big budget Theo, who just sweeps his mistakes under the carpet. It's like beating a dead horse, Crawford is a bust (  So Farrrrrrr) . You or I may have said it first, but everybody is on board with that concept now. So move on.

Papi , who Theo signed and Manny who Dan signed were the reason for the 04 curse breaker. Theo got lucky with Papi, he got lucky with Aceves, Gonzo, Miller, Mueller, Salty, Bay, Schilling, Dave Roberts. There are more I am sure. When a guy gets lucky that many times, maybe it isn't luck. Give credit where it is due. He has made some bad signings, for sure. Frankly I would like to see him go to Chicago. But ......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like it when he doesn't run out balls though. He is the biggest culprit on the team in that regard. He has been hot as heck lately and that is helping a lot. This team has had a lot of success even with a less than excellent pitching staff.

I have different thoughts on running out routine ground balls. Which is better, have him run out everything so he gets thrown out by 2 steps instead of 5 steps? Or have him run out routine ground balls and pull a hammy or tear an Achilles??  Granted there may be a time or 2 that racing down the line on a routine grounder might be advantageous, such as a dropped ball or poor throw. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Kinda like a routine fly ball to left field, and the CF races over to catch it in case the left fielder falls or loses it in the sun. The CF won't reach the fly ball, but will look like Charlie Hustle. Not smart, IMHO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100% : I have different thoughts on running out routine ground balls. Which is better, have him run out everything so he gets thrown out by 2 steps instead of 5 steps? Or have him run out routine ground balls and pull a hammy or tear an Achilles??  Granted there may be a time or 2 that racing down the line on a routine grounder might be advantageous, such as a dropped ball or poor throw. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Kinda like a routine fly ball to left field, and the CF races over to catch it in case the left fielder falls or loses it in the sun. The CF won't reach the fly ball, but will look like Charlie Hustle. Not smart, IMHO.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

It looks to me like he's choosing his opportunities to run hard.  On Saturday I saw him digging to 1st on a play that was going to be close, but I've also seen him dogging it to 1st on what was going to be an automatic out.  The thing is, that's pretty much a given in MLB.  Everyone (with the exception of Pedey) does it routinely. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

It's a contract year for Ortiz.    He's looking for a muli year contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Papi's the man.  He's proven his fortitude overcoming bad starts to seasons and the steroid nonsense.  For those or you who cringe when remembering the dismantling of the 70's teams, losing Papi would be akin to this.  He's not Manny - weak, selfish. Just as Gayrod represents the Yankees, Papi represents the Sox.  He is a Red Sox and needs to retire as one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG PAPI is giving it 100% : Fracking Yankee fan.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

wrong columbo,

i'm a fracking red sox realist.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

His value comes in the form of home runs and extra base hits. You want him getting hurt trying to beat out the throw on an infield hit? Which is effectively what it is when he hits into the shift.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Papi's the man.  He's proven his fortitude overcoming bad starts to seasons and the steroid nonsense.  For those or you who cringe when remembering the dismantling of the 70's teams, losing Papi would be akin to this.  He's not Manny - weak, selfish. Just as Gayrod represents the Yankees, Papi represents the Sox.  He is a Red Sox and needs to retire as one.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Ortiz retiring with the Red Sox.  I would imagine that most Red Sox fans hope that this happens.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

heel be fine

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Because of disrespect of fans and media and Epstein, Ortiz needs to call Cashman the first minute of FA. No excuse, given WAstefield debacle, not to offer Ortiz the highest Dh base in history of 15M for 2012, with a player opt out for 2013 and a team option for 5M for 2013 or buyout for 2M.

Epstein should be strung up for this! Its not business with Wastefield! 

Sections
Shortcuts