Big Papi off to HOT start early in 07', I mean 2011!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNB. Show RedSoxNB's posts

Big Papi off to HOT start early in 07', I mean 2011!

It's May 23rd and not many of you would have put money on Big Papi hitting .299 with 9homers and 22 RBI's by now. The big man is off to a 2007 type start when he finished the year strong batting over .320 with 35 long balls. Although batting .320 is a very demanding task for a hitter of this sort but it comes to no one surprise that David Ortiz has been better from May on in his career so only time will tell what results come out of 2011.

Heres the stats from May 23 10' compared to the same date this year in 11'

10/11
    • HR: 8/9
    • RBI: 22/22
    • BA: .248/.299
    • 2B: 7/9
    • Hits: 28/49
    • BB: 12/20
    • SO: 39/20
    • R: 16/23
    • OBP: .317/.373

Now here's the same stats in 07' at this time

• HR: 9
    • RBI: 37
    • BA: .325
    • 2B: 19
    • H: 53
    • BB: 33
    • SO: 30
    • R: 31
    • OBP: .439

Take in consideration that Manny's not behind him anymore and Papi's batting 5th... this could be a great season for him possibly opening up the door for a 2-year deal to lock him up in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Big Papi off to HOT start early in 07', I mean 2011!

Let's say he has 11 HRs by the end of May and then hits as many HRs (2)as last year after May and in 2009 after May 31st: He will end up with about 32...the same as last year.

Here are his numbers over the last 365 days:

.281/.379/.524/.903

32 HRs
    101 RBIs
    40 2Bs + 3Bs
    92 Runs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

His batting average shouldn't be too much of a surprise. In the last five months of last season, he batted .286, which is close to what he's hitting now. Many fans probably didn't realize he hit that well because his average was so low, it took almost a month to get up to respectability and he stayed in the .250s and .260s before reaching .270 on the final day.

Last year was different than 2009. That year, once he got rolling in June, his power and run production were strong but he hit .264 over the final four months, about 20 points lower than last year over the last five months.

NB, I loved the comparison you made.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNB. Show RedSoxNB's posts

And he's now batting .302 !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

no doubt about it

kudos for the big guy

he's off to a great start

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Sad Papi

yeah too bad he is a clown these days since he got caught using steroids; he should retire, he is an embarassment to the game and the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

why?

Why hasn't Ortiz been booted or dragged before Congress or run out of town by the legendary Boston attack fans and media?  Seems as tho Ortiz got a pass for his cheating.  It is because he looks like the Dominican Santa Claus?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Papi!  Papi!  Papi!  Papi!  Papi!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Big Papi off to HOT start early in 07', I mean 2011!:
    [QUOTE]It's May 23rd and not many of you would have put money on Big Papi hitting .299 with 9homers and 22 RBI's by now. The big man is off to a 2007 type start when he finished the year strong batting over .320 with 35 long balls. Although batting .320 is a very demanding task for a hitter of this sort but it comes to no one surprise that David Ortiz has been better from May on in his career so only time will tell what results come out of 2011. Heres the stats from May 23 10' compared to the same date this year in 11' 10/11 HR: 8/ 9 RBI: 22/22 BA: .248/ .299 2B: 7/ 9 Hits: 28/ 49 BB: 12/ 20 SO: 39/ 20 R: 16/ 23 OBP: .317/ .373 Now here's the same stats in 07' at this time HR: 9 RBI: 37 BA: .325 2B: 19 H: 53 BB: 33 SO: 30 R: 31 OBP: .439 Take in consideration that Manny's not behind him anymore and Papi's batting 5th... this could be a great season for him possibly opening up the door for a 2-year deal to lock him up in Boston
    Posted by RedSoxNB[/QUOTE]

Kudos for starting this thread.  We need more positive vibes around here as even our best posters are spending too much time refuting nonsense most of the time. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: why?

In Response to why?:
    [QUOTE]Why hasn't Ortiz been booted or dragged before Congress or run out of town by the legendary Boston attack fans and media?  Seems as tho Ortiz got a pass for his cheating.  It is because he looks like the Dominican Santa Claus?
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]Probably he wasn't brought before Congress because he wasn't listed in the Mitchell Report and the leaks that he had tested positive for a banned substance wasn't illegally leaked until after the Congressional hearings. Also all the leak confirmed was a banned substance under the CBA. It could have greenies, androstyne or a lot of things aside from steroids. Nobody will ever know for sure because MLB and the MLBPA can't get the records of any of the tests back from the Federal Prosecutors and since they broke the law leaking the results about A-Rod and Ortiz they can't exactly come forward and share further details.

As far as not being ripped by fans, it is the same reason that A-Rod, Giambi and Petitte were or are cheered in NY and Bonds was love to the end in SF.

More explanation that the question deserved but just the same there you have it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Big Papi off to HOT start early in 07', I mean 2011!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Big Papi off to HOT start early in 07', I mean 2011! : Kudos for starting this thread.  We need more positive vibes around here as even our best posters are spending too much time refuting nonsense most of the time. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

Welcome back.
    Kim recently started a thread actually daring posters to say some thing positive.
    It's a good idea - a nice thing to see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Welcome back.
    Kim recently started a thread actually daring posters to say some thing positive.
    It's a good idea - a nice thing to see. -- Harness
    -------------------------------------

Guess that means we'll see less of Zac at night (a novelty) since he was holding down the fort. They should keep you in the loop, Harness, since I don't believe they are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Loops make me dizzy.
    Hoola hoops were o.k.
    Fruit loops make me sick - too much sugah!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Slav likes the way Ortiz is drilling LHP. It's not easy being on the abusive plantation stage in front of hateful Red Sox fans, but Ortiz handles it with class and is the true good man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Re: why?

just as i suspected, Dominican Santa

In Response to Re: why?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to why? : Probably he wasn't brought before Congress because he wasn't listed in the Mitchell Report and the leaks that he had tested positive for a banned substance wasn't illegally leaked until after the Congressional hearings. Also all the leak confirmed was a banned substance under the CBA. It could have greenies, androstyne or a lot of things aside from steroids. Nobody will ever know for sure because MLB and the MLBPA can't get the records of any of the tests back from the Federal Prosecutors and since they broke the law leaking the results about A-Rod and Ortiz they can't exactly come forward and share further details. As far as not being ripped by fans, it is the same reason that A-Rod, Giambi and Petitte were or are cheered in NY and Bonds was love to the end in SF. More explanation that the question deserved but just the same there you have it...
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts