1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Big Papi...loooooking good!

Some interesting Papi stretches:

Years    PA      OBP/SLG/OPS

02-04  1644    .365/.570/.935

05-07  2066    .418/.629/1.038

08-10  1724    .356/.498/.854

11-13  1588    .401/.571/.972

The last 3 years combined, Papi has been closer to his his best stretch (05-07) than his strecth from ages 32-34 ('08-'10). He's even almost 40 points better than his age 26-28 years ('02-'04).

Out of all MLB since 2011 (226 qualified players):

1) Miggy 1.036

2) Ortiz   .972

3) Braun  .971

4) Votto   .962

5) Trout   .948

6) Bautista .944

7) Fielder   .911

8) Tulo       .911

9) Kemp    .906

10) C Gon  .906

11) Cano   .904

12) Stanton .903

13) Beltre   .898

14) McCtch  .895

15) Napoli   .895

25) AGon  .857

41) Ellsb   .825

46) Pedroia .816

81) Gomes  .781

82) Victorino .780

101) Salty   .763  (9th best catcher OPS)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

2014 prediction:

.315 / 48hr / 121 RBI

he will win the AL MVP

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

Over under 2 stolen bases?

...i'm taking the over!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham David Ortiz ‏@davidortiz   18h

Love my bostonian and they know that l'm proud to wear this uniform!!! pic.twitter.com/y28H1xbBrC

Embedded image permalink  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hahaha.  Dang.  He looks downright skinny.  Somebody get this man some chicken and beer, STAT!!  Jes kiddin'.  But seriously, 2014:  .295, 30, 118 RBIs

[/QUOTE] Big Papi Sabathia Tongue Out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

rumor has it that CC's weight loss is because of stribild med

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2014 prediction:

.315 / 48hr / 121 RBI

he will win the AL MVP

[/QUOTE]i hope not, i'd hate for KST to have to defend Big P as one those "overly large" players the Sox brought in to hit homers  Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] a rumor no doubt you started :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] a rumor no doubt you started :-)

[/QUOTE]

hahahaha.  that's why it is a "rumor"....  ;)

you heard it too????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really do you have a link? or are you just trying to suggest that Sabbathia has HIV for amusment purposes. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really do you have a link? or are you just trying to suggest that Sabbathia has HIV for amusment purposes. 

[/QUOTE]

nah.  was just busting jetes stones.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Bill-666, working out won't make Papi any less Black.

[/QUOTE]

was that crack about Papi really necessary? IMHO I don't think the color of Papi's skin has anything to do with Bill-806.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Hammah, yes, I think it was necessary.  I am sick of the guy's comments about "Dominican milkshakes" and "38 going on 43" not to mention his "humor" about how "nothing good has ever come from Mexico" and I daresay I'm not alone in my hatred of him.  He's a moron and a bigot and deserves 10 times the aggro he gets here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Papi has been losing weight in a good way the past few years.  I remember a story back in 2012 that indicated that Papi had high cholesterol and they were worried about diabetes.  I'm glad that he continues to make strides and keeps getting in better shape two years later as the numbers in the batters box paid off.

http://www.necn.com/02/24/12/Big-Papi-shows-up-to-spring-training-17-/landing_newengland.html?blockID=657594

Ortiz is in pretty good shape. About two months ago, he found out he has very high cholesterol. With diabetes running in his family, he decided to make some drastic changes. So far, he has lost about 17 pounds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Papi has been losing weight in a good way the past few years.  I remember a story back in 2012 that indicated that Papi had high cholesterol and they were worried about diabetes.  I'm glad that he continues to make strides and keeps getting in better shape two years later as the numbers in the batters box paid off.

http://www.necn.com/02/24/12/Big-Papi-shows-up-to-spring-training-17-/landing_newengland.html?blockID=657594

Ortiz is in pretty good shape. About two months ago, he found out he has very high cholesterol. With diabetes running in his family, he decided to make some drastic changes. So far, he has lost about 17 pounds.

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz has never been in bad shape. He always was a big guy. When he was in his 20s, extra weight didn't bother him. When he got into his early 30s, I think he realized that extra weight would be a problem and he began paying more attention to it.

This happens with a lot of athletes. When they get into their 30s, things they did to stay in shape in their 20s weren't as effective. It takes some players longer than others to realize that now that they're in their 30s, they need to work harder to stay in shape and extra weight, which wasn't a problem in their 20s, would start slowing them down.

I think John Lackey came to this realization. Lackey wasn't exactly slim and trim with the Angels, but it wasn't a problem. I think he realized that now that he was getting into his 30s, he had to work harder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

less wear and tear on the knees too.

and as we know boys....the legs feed the wolf...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Dude!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz has never been in bad shape. He always was a big guy. When he was in his 20s, extra weight didn't bother him. When he got into his early 30s, I think he realized that extra weight would be a problem and he began paying more attention to it.

This happens with a lot of athletes. When they get into their 30s, things they did to stay in shape in their 20s weren't as effective. It takes some players longer than others to realize that now that they're in their 30s, they need to work harder to stay in shape and extra weight, which wasn't a problem in their 20s, would start slowing them down.

I think John Lackey came to this realization. Lackey wasn't exactly slim and trim with the Angels, but it wasn't a problem. I think he realized that now that he was getting into his 30s, he had to work harder.

[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind that a lot of people just never have the will power to put in the extra work they need to when they get into their 30's

That's the problem with players too, some hit the wall when they reach their 30's and some are great players all the way into their 40's.

Without any real way of predicting, I would feel more comfortable betting on the players like Ortiz and Lackey who seem like they come motivated to stay on top.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind that a lot of people just never have the will power to put in the extra work they need to when they get into their 30's

That's the problem with players too, some hit the wall when they reach their 30's and some are great players all the way into their 40's.

Without any real way of predicting, I would feel more comfortable betting on the players like Ortiz and Lackey who seem like they come motivated to stay on top.

[/QUOTE]

Josh Beckett.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Josh Beckett.

[/QUOTE]

Josh Beckett seems to fall on the opposite end of the spectrum.  I have no problem with the Josh Becketts of baseball, but you saw what happened to him with time.  He should be a prime example of the kinda player you don't mind drafting and keep around, but stay far far away from the long term extension. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

For those wondering if Ortiz has lost weight... he certainly looks like he's taking care of himself. As shocking as that may be to the #1 Ortiz hater.

Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't know...I kind of have the same question as the poster who suggested that the picture was photo-shopped. Now..before anyone has a meltdown..look at his arms and compare them to a picture of Ortiz say..6 months ago. His arms should look bigger if he's lost weight yet they look smaller. This would suggest that in addition to losing weight..he also lost muscle mass.

Also..that looks like a pretty significant weight loss over the last public picture of Ortiz which was a couple of weeks ago.

So the question begs...is that picture photo-shopped or did Ortiz go on a crash diet to drop weight?

Added to that..isn't Ortiz a Reebok guy? Some Reebok exec. somewhere is no doubt cringing at the sight of him in a Nike shirt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I don't know...I kind of have the same question as the poster who suggested that the picture was photo-shopped. Now..before anyone has a meltdown..look at his arms and compare them to a picture of Ortiz say..6 months ago. His arms should look bigger if he's lost weight yet they look smaller. This would suggest that in addition to losing weight..he also lost muscle mass.

Also..that looks like a pretty significant weight loss over the last public picture of Ortiz which was a couple of weeks ago.

So the question begs...is that picture photo-shopped or did Ortiz go on a crash diet to drop weight?

Added to that..isn't Ortiz a Reebok guy? Some Reebok exec. somewhere is no doubt cringing at the sight of him in a Nike shirt.

Cry

No meltdown...just disappointment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cry

[/QUOTE]

Haha..well you know me I am skeptical of most things on the internet..plus I like to over think things...plus I like to look outside the box..plus I like to ask "what if?" a lot... so don't be toooo disappointed :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cry

[/QUOTE]

Haha..well you know me I am skeptical of most things on the internet..plus I like to over think things...plus I like to look outside the box..plus I like to ask "what if?" a lot... so don't be toooo disappointed :-)

[/QUOTE]

I know ... I know....

But, but.... I've never seen another players picture being accused of being photoshopped after a weight loss. Seems everything is questioned when it comes to Ortiz.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The biggest Sox hero of our time does not deserve all of this.

Sections
Shortcuts