Big positive even from a loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Big positive even from a loss

Any game where you leave so many runners on is hard to watch, but in the bigger picture last night had some up-side.

Sabathia gave up 10 hits.  He struck out 10 with a crazy K zone, and Scutaro ran into an out leading off an inning for some unknown reason.

In his last 6 starts the hits keep coming:  10,  9,  10,  10,  7 , and 10 last night. 

10 hits or more:

2010    6 times in 37 starts
    2009   twice in 39 starts
    2008   twice in 36 starts

After 105 pitches:

2011     .325 BA     .349 OBP  

Career   .245 BA     .287 OBP 

Granted only 40 PA in 2011 , but does he tire in games and is he tiring out this year?

All pitchers go through slumps, but it is hard to imagine a scenario that the NYY win three PO series if he doesn't regain form.

"Sabathia had arrived with this plan: To aggressively challenge with his fastball and concentrate on strike one to try to shorten the long at-bats that had so bedeviled him against Boston. But even with what he described as his best stuff in the last month -- his fastball lived at 93-96 mph -- and the ability to throw strike one to 21 of 30 hitters, Boston still managed to extend at-bats against Sabathia. For example, Sabathia walked two, both after getting ahead 0-2.

He never had a 1-2-3 inning and Boston produced 10 hits off Sabathia and is now hitting .336 off of him this year compared with .234 for the rest of the sport." Sherman 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Re: Big positive even from a loss

i've got a  few positives from last night's loss:
    1) i'm positive slackey is a terrible pitcher. actually, i knew that before last night's game.

2) i'm positive 'coma is a terrible field manager. actually i knew that before last night's game.

3) i'm positive that a-gon lost some valuable mvp points last night. just pathetic.

4) i'm positive the yank-ems will win the next two.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Big positive even from a loss:
    [QUOTE]Any game where you leave so many runners on is hard to watch, but in the bigger picture last night had some up-side. Sabathia gave up 10 hits.  He struck out 10 with a crazy K zone, and Scutaro ran into an out leading off an inning for some unknown reason. In his last 6 starts the hits keep coming:  10,  9,  10,  10,  7 , and 10 last night.  10 hits or more :   2010    6 times in 37 starts 2009   twice in 39 starts 2008   twice in 36 starts After 105 pitches : 2011     .325 BA     .349 OBP   Career   .245 BA     .287 OBP  Granted only 40 PA in 2011 , but does he tire in games and is he tiring out this year? All pitchers go through slumps, but it is hard to imagine a scenario that the NYY win three PO series if he doesn't regain form. "Sabathia had arrived with this plan: To aggressively challenge with his fastball and concentrate on strike one to try to shorten the long at-bats that had so bedeviled him against Boston. But even with what he described as his best stuff in the last month -- his fastball lived at 93-96 mph -- and the ability to throw strike one to 21 of 30 hitters, Boston still managed to extend at-bats against Sabathia. For example, Sabathia walked two, both after getting ahead 0-2. He never had a 1-2-3 inning and Boston produced 10 hits off Sabathia and is now hitting .336 off of him this year compared with .234 for the rest of the sport." Sherman  
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Correct, the Sox beat themselves last night with all the runners LOB.  CC wasn't all that great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Sabathia is tough, even without his best stuff, he is legit. But we have Beckett and Lester for the next two, have to feel good about these matchups!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Big positive even from a loss:
    [QUOTE]Sabathia is tough, even without his best stuff, he is legit. But we have Beckett and Lester for the next two, have to feel good about these matchups!
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

Agreed, a Lackey/CC matchup was not very comforting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This loss shouldn't have come as a big surprise.  After all, it was the [sarcasm on] GREAT [sarcasm off] CC Sabathia against Lackey.  This loss actually encourages me to look forward to seeing CC pitching against the Sox in the playoffs.

The Sox hit the ball well last night, just not at the right time.  Stuff like that happens.  They'll be fine. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

while it was a great game, no doubt the Sox' RISP difficulties turned the tide down the stretch...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

No doubt.  Missed opportunities.  A team can get away with missing opportunities against weaker teams but when the cream of the crop play one another you have take advantage of every chance.

The team that does that wins and the team that doesn't loses.  It's that simple.
    Oh well, tonight's another game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Great game, CC pitched to win and he got the right Sox out at the right times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Last night's loss didn't really bother me that much. Don't get me wrong, it was frustrating to watch the Sox leave the population of Medford on base. But honestly, I didn't expect to win last night because of the pitching matchup.
    I feel good about the next two, and honestly as long as we don't get swept there won't be a significant change in the standings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Yankees made some good pitches when it counted.  CC was spot on, especially vs. A-Gon. 

Might turn out different next time.  Just so you know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gubeme. Show gubeme's posts

He got the big outs when he needed to and got a little help from a very wide strike zone. But that's baseball and hopefully we can take these next two games. On paper, I like our chances.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

there was definitely some positive angles last night....yes. CC came up big against AGON but we hit him real well last night in general....the 10 hits were not bleeders. The outs against Soirano and Rivera were almost all hard hit balls also.....it ws just one of those nights. I loved Lackey hitting that Smurf Cervelli....and despite the 5 runs, I thought he ptched well last night...he had the exact opposite luck of the Sox as balls were finding holes(except for the HR of course).....Scutaro should have taken that ball up the middle and Lowery was late charging for Gardners bunt, I guess because he expected him to be tking the 3-0 pitch. We may have lost last night but I dont think the Sox confidence that they can continue to beat the Yankees was bruised at al last night, and they must feel good about Lester and Beckett going

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

True, there were positives for the law of averages on LOBs and the absurd K-Zone for CC.

One problem remains, which would have changed outcome of this game.

With Youk out, its Pedroia and Zilch from Rh v. LP. Mac and Salty were pitiful against Koufax, I mean Logan. 

Just think Crawford, Ellsbury, Drew, Reddick, Mac and Aviles v. Lee and Hamels and think Epstein with Cubs. Lets hope Phillies get an injury, Yankees dont worry me at all, long term.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Big positive even from a loss:
    [QUOTE]i've got a  few positives from last night's loss: 1) i'm positive slackey is a terrible pitcher. actually, i knew that before last night's game. 2) i'm positive 'coma is a terrible field manager. actually i knew that before last night's game. 3) i'm positive that a-gon lost some valuable mvp points last night. just pathetic. 4) i'm positive the yank-ems will win the next two.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Norman Vincent Peale, you ain't. 

AGon had a bad night, but he has been very valuable to this team.  Lackey wasn't terrible.  Terrible was the last time before last night when Sabathia got beat by the Sox.  Nice to get confirmation that you have no actual basis for your hatred of Francona.  Also nice to see your prediction of the next two games.  Actually, more than a prediction.  When you're "positive," that makes it a prophecy.  theYazzer speaks ex cathedra. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Big positive even from a loss:
    [QUOTE]Any game where you leave so many runners on is hard to watch, but in the bigger picture last night had some up-side. Sabathia gave up 10 hits.  He struck out 10 with a crazy K zone, and Scutaro ran into an out leading off an inning for some unknown reason. In his last 6 starts the hits keep coming:  10,  9,  10,  10,  7 , and 10 last night.  10 hits or more :   2010    6 times in 37 starts 2009   twice in 39 starts 2008   twice in 36 starts After 105 pitches : 2011     .325 BA     .349 OBP   Career   .245 BA     .287 OBP  Granted only 40 PA in 2011 , but does he tire in games and is he tiring out this year? All pitchers go through slumps, but it is hard to imagine a scenario that the NYY win three PO series if he doesn't regain form. "Sabathia had arrived with this plan: To aggressively challenge with his fastball and concentrate on strike one to try to shorten the long at-bats that had so bedeviled him against Boston. But even with what he described as his best stuff in the last month -- his fastball lived at 93-96 mph -- and the ability to throw strike one to 21 of 30 hitters, Boston still managed to extend at-bats against Sabathia. For example, Sabathia walked two, both after getting ahead 0-2. He never had a 1-2-3 inning and Boston produced 10 hits off Sabathia and is now hitting .336 off of him this year compared with .234 for the rest of the sport." Sherman  
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Good post Tom.
    10 hits w/o Youk.
    I like our chances against him at full strength.