Biggest Bust Evah?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Biggest Bust Evah?

$230 million dollar payroll

Largest by far for any team

Huge disparity between the #2 team in the league

not 2, not 4, but FIVE playoff slots

33% of the teams make the playoffs!!!!!!!

and da bronx bombers still can't make the playoffs

this has got to be the biggest flop ever

welcome back to the 80's yankee fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Biggest Bust Evah?

Still, it's only their second time missing the playoffs since 1993.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

So what?  What about THIS season?

1993 had only 2 teams

There are five teams now

and......the disaparity of the yankees payroll vs the rest of the league has grown enormously since then as well.........

This is the biggest flop I've ever seen for a team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point andre, however what team spent the most from 2010 to 2012, but failed to make the playoffs?

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Good point andre, however what team spent the most from 2010 to 2012, but failed to make the playoffs?

Sox4ever

The Sox never spent $230 million dollars and missed the playoffs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I dunno...hiring Bobby Valentine was a good way to blow 189 million dollars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

Yup sure was but that's still 41 million dollars LESS

or the equivilant to the yankees not having Jeter, Granderson or Rivera last year.  How many games do they win without those 3 last year?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

I'll go with Dolly Parton as my answer.

:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

So what?  What about THIS season?

1993 had only 2 teams

There are five teams now

and......the disaparity of the yankees payroll vs the rest of the league has grown enormously since then as well.........

This is the biggest flop I've ever seen for a team.

[/QUOTE]

One season is one season.

You can't be expected to make the playoffs in baseball every year no matter how much you spend.  Too many bad things can happen.  This was the year they happened to the Yankees. 

The biggest flops are the Angels IMO.  People thought when they got Pujols they were going to be serious contenders.  Then they got Hamilton too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yes, for JUST THIS SEASON ONLY (I agree) they are the biggest flops in the history of the game

(You can not compared the Angels payroll to the yankees........)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I just don't happen to agree with focussing on one season, unless it's a situation where the team spent a ton of money on supposed upgrades and fell way short of expectations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I just don't happen to agree with focussing on one season, unless it's a situation where the team spent a ton of money on supposed upgrades and fell way short of expectations.

The spent 230 mil - the most ever by a team and like 50 mil more than any other team in the league....so for 2013 and ONLY for 2013 IMO they are the laughing stock of baseball

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah, but they can spend 230 million because their revenues are by far the most.

I understand the hate for the Yankees, but I really don't think they're the alltime laughingstock this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Sabathia is struggling.  Pettitte and Rivera are done.  A-Rod's out the next year plus.  Jeter may be back next season, but at SS?  Granderson and Cano may not be back.  And there's next to nothing in the farm system.  Four more BA top 100 prospects having garbage to average seasons in the minors. 

This isn't a fluke.  It's going to take a while for the Yankees to be good again, and I don't know if the FO has the nerve to speed things along, which means absolutely s*cking for a while, instead of fielding a team just good enough to give their fans false hope.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yeah, but they can spend 230 million because their revenues are by far the most.

I understand the hate for the Yankees, but I really don't think they're the alltime laughingstock this year.

No team has ever spent that much money, that much relative money and in a year with 5 teams or 33% of the teams make the playoffs and do not.  I can't think of a bigger flop than this one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Sabathia is struggling.  Pettitte and Rivera are done.  A-Rod's out the next year plus.  Jeter may be back next season, but at SS?  Granderson and Cano may not be back.  And there's next to nothing in the farm system.  Four more BA top 100 prospects having garbage to average seasons in the minors. 

This isn't a fluke.  It's going to take a while for the Yankees to be good again, and I don't know if the FO has the nerve to speed things along, which means absolutely s*cking for a while, instead of fielding a team just good enough to give their fans false hope.

AMEN TO THAT

if yankee fans this year was bad, just wait until next year when they have to shave $50 MILLION off the payroll..........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Let's not forget - the Yankees started the season 30-18, so since the end of May, they are 4 games under .500.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

There ya go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

No team has ever spent that much money, that much relative money and in a year with 5 teams or 33% of the teams make the playoffs and do not.  I can't think of a bigger flop than this one.

[/QUOTE]

I can't think of a bigger flop than that one. And there's no stories about the clubhouse either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Can someone please tell me what the Yankee players were eating and drinking while they tanked their season? I'm sure that had something to do with it, but you can't find that information anywhere. They're just focusing on Mo's farewell tour, and not addressing any of their problems. Guess they just try to keep it positive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

And it only hurts when I laugh about that ..... OWWWWWW

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

The Sox never spent $230 million dollars and missed the playoffs

[/QUOTE]

No, but they spent much more than that over 3 seasons and never made it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

very embarrassing for the yankees organization.  this is the first season in awhile that they havent been able to purchase a spot in the playoffs.  hopefully it is the first year of many they will spend sitting at home watching on tv.

but i really want to know:  who is going to be the face of YANKEES UNIVERSE now that Joba is a FA???  hahahahahahahaaha

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The spent 230 mil - the most ever by a team and like 50 mil more than any other team in the league....so for 2013 and ONLY for 2013 IMO they are the laughing stock of baseball

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. $230M and no playoff is unreal, however, I'd take making the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years over our 1 out of 4 anyday of the week.

I still think it is more obscene to spen over $660M in 4 years and make the playoffs just once than spend $230M in 1 year and not make it. (BTW, the Yanks spent about $860M over 4 years and made the playoffs 3 times)

NYY: $290M per playoff trip

BOS: $660M per playoff trip