Biggest Bust Evah?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Biggest Bust Evah?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Good point andre, however what team spent the most from 2010 to 2012, but failed to make the playoffs?

Sox4ever

The Sox never spent $230 million dollars and missed the playoffs

No, but they spent much more than that over 3 seasons and never made it.

The short answer is no - no team has ever spent 230 million OR $75 million more than the 2nd highest payroll or 50% MORE than the #2 team and not made the playoffs....Never mind there are now FIVE TEAMS that make it - that's 33% of the teams.....It's got to be the biggest bust ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd have to do the math but for the yankees to had win in 2009, if you look at what they spent leading up to that it was a couple billion dollars..............for just one title........lots of ways to look at it but the most precise is just one year at a time.  what they did this was obscene.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point andre, however what team spent the most from 2010 to 2012, but failed to make the playoffs?

Sox4ever

The Sox never spent $230 million dollars and missed the playoffs

No, but they spent much more than that over 3 seasons and never made it.

The short answer is no - no team has ever spent 230 million OR $75 million more than the 2nd highest payroll or 50% MORE than the #2 team and not made the playoffs....Never mind there are now FIVE TEAMS that make it - that's 33% of the teams.....It's got to be the biggest bust ever

I said I agree.

But not team has spent $660M total over 4 years for 1 playoff spot either.

No team has spent over $450M total for 3 straight years and missed the playoffs either.

Be careful throwing stones while residing in a glass house.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Like I said, we can measure it over a period of time many ways.

The only CONCISE way to measure it is by looking at each year on it's own.

And the 2013 yankees are a huge bust given all the bullet points I already made.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

And the 2013 yankees are a huge bust given all the bullet points I already made.

The 2012 RS, with a 48 yr team high in losses, wasn't so great either. Was it worse than the 2013 NYY? Probably not; but those in glass houses ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

The 2012 RS, with a 48 yr team high in losses, wasn't so great either. Was it worse than the 2013 NYY? Probably not; but those in glass houses ....

"Probably not" is absolutely correct, sir!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

"Probably not" is absolutely correct, sir!!!!

The Bust semantic connotates expectation at the beginning of the season for teams, or careers for players; RS in Spring of 2012 were supposed to be good, NYY this spring, regardless of payroll, were not, and some in the media were amazed they did as well as they did.

Here's guessing you didn't consider that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The 2012 Sox had no expectations given what happened in 2011

No team has never spent $230 mil and not gotten in

The #2 payroll in the AL is Bos w/ a 150 payroll.  That's 80 million more.  That is more than 50% more.  80 million is more than 80% of the team's total payrolls.  80 million would mean no CC, no CANO, NO RIVERA, No Granderson, No Soriano, No Kuroda - ALL OF THEM............

No team has ever spent over $180 million (50 million less or 25% less) and not gotten into the playoffs with FIVE TEAMS or 33% of all teams making it in

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sorry, I thought this was a thread about Jayne Mansfield.

It's great fun to kick the Yankees when they're down, but let's also remember that Jeter and Teixeira have played a combined 32 games. Plus Granderson, Rodriguez, Youkilis, Cervelli, and someone else I'm probably forgetting.

Personally, I think being 8 games above .500 is pretty impressive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

It's great fun to kick the Yankees when they're down, but let's also remember that Jeter and Teixeira have played a combined 32 games. Plus Granderson, Rodriguez, Youkilis, Cervelli, and someone else I'm probably forgetting.

Injuries are a part of the game.   Let's also remember that it was the yankee's decision to sign ARod and Texiera and Jeter to long term deals - did they think they would stay healthy forever?  Let's also recall the yankees were the only team willing to give Youk a TWELVE MILLION DOLLAR DEAL to a guy who had well documented back issues.........Let's also remember that losing Cervelli was in part due to the fact that the man CHEATED....All these things are directed to the yankees....

HUGE STINKING BUST!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The roosters have come home to roost....Time to make that ballon payment on your mortgage (2009) that is UNDER WATER................it gets worse from here - what until the creditors and collection agents come round in March of 2014........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The #2 payroll in the AL is Bos w/ a 150 payroll.  That's 80 million more.  That is more than 50% more.  80 million is more than 80% of the team's total payrolls.  80 million would mean no CC, no CANO, NO RIVERA, No Granderson, No Soriano, No Kuroda - ALL OF THEM............

No team has ever spent over $180 million (50 million less or 25% less) and not gotten into the playoffs with FIVE TEAMS or 33% of all teams making it in

Now you're just repeating yourself. I believe I have my answer; you didn't.

I understand why; you need to defend your melodramatic proclamation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The roosters have come home to roost....Time to make that ballon payment on your mortgage (2009) that is UNDER WATER................it gets worse from here - what until the creditors and collection agents come round in March of 2014........

This is inarguable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Of course I considered it before I started this post.  If I thought the 2012 was a bigger bust I would never had started this thread.

I keep repeating myself because those are the salient points to prove the case.  You keep coming back with different claims but none have surpassed the ones about the 2013 yankees.  But I too am understanding of why you are trying to rebutt the proclamation and demean it.  For years the yankee fans were able to throw sand in the Red Sox fan's faces.  But not anymore.  My advice to you is to LAY LOW.....Read some Sun Tsu and RETREAT when you got no chance!!!!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And yet again Softlaw tries to hijack a thread with one of his own totally unrelated obsessions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Of course I considered it before I started this post.  If I thought the 2012 was a bigger bust I would never had started this thread.

I keep repeating myself because those are the salient points to prove the case.  You keep coming back with different claims but none have surpassed the ones about the 2013 yankees.  But I too am understanding of why you are trying to rebutt the proclamation and demean it.  For years the yankee fans were able to throw sand in the Red Sox fan's faces.  But not anymore.  My advice to you is to LAY LOW.....Read some Sun Tsu and RETREAT when you got no chance!!!!!!

Yes, you must have some experience in this regard, since you disappeared for months. Now you post like a panting hyena.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, you must have some experience in this regard, since you disappeared for months. Now you post like a panting hyena.

You can accuse me of "hiding" but it would not be true.....I had been working 3 jobs (for the past year) and now I have some time off.....However, I most certainly did lay low after 1978 and the 1996 seasons.......because it was the smart thing to do......btw, in case you accuse me again my schedule gets real busy again in Oct so I won't be around that often at all...I'll be sure to keep you informed of all of my other upcoming committments as well.

Now, back to the issue.  The 2013 yankees are the biggest bust in the history of the sport.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

And yet again Softlaw tries to hijack a thread with one of his own totally unrelated obsessions.

talk about an opportunity to lay low

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

LOL LD

now if he had said Biggest Baseball Bust Evah

we could go with Morganna, the Kissing Bandit, from the 70's

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Ellsbury, who was deemed to be a superstar and a Red Sox all-time great.

i'll play......by whom?????

btw - "superstar" is a debatable term. so let's just stick with the all-time great comment....?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You can accuse me of "hiding" but it would not be true.....I had been working 3 jobs (for the past year) and now I have some time off.....However, I most certainly did lay low after 1978 and the 1996 seasons.......because it was the smart thing to do......btw, in case you accuse me again my schedule gets real busy again in Oct so I won't be around that often at all...I'll be sure to keep you informed of all of my other upcoming committments as well.

Now, back to the issue.  The 2013 yankees are the biggest bust in the history of the sport.......

If that was your reason, I apologize.

However, you do occasionally seem to post like a crazy person.  Before I read 'em, I don't know which one I'm getting.

I DO agree, however, about 2014, and maybe beyond. NYY are likely to have their first sub 500 season(s) since the early 90s. The CORE 4 is past. And RS seem to have righted the ship.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If that was your reason, I apologize.

However, you do occasionally seem to post like a crazy person.  Before I read 'em, I don't know which one I'm getting.

I DO agree, however, about 2014, and maybe beyond. NYY are likely to have their first sub 500 season(s) since the early 90s. The CORE 4 is past. And RS seem to have righted the ship.

That's fine but yes, I was working like crazy.  When you are independent consultant you take the work when you get it and you take the vacation time when you can too.

Yes, I have a very obssesive personality.  Show me one true Red Sox fan who does not!

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts