BIGGEST SURPRISE ON THIS TEAM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

BIGGEST SURPRISE ON THIS TEAM?

good or bad, who do you think has been the most pleasant shocker on this team thus far. you may pick or discuss jenks, mac, crawford, lackey or drew for how horrible they've been based on the expectations. you may pick the pleasant shockers such as both catchers, beckett, ells, papi (what a comeback), gonzo, lowrie, navarro, miller, aceves, wake, redick or an albers. i personally am going with SALTY. i didnt seee that happening, followed closely by tek, beckett, aceves, miller, navarro, reddick, lackless (by his futility), mac (putrid), albers (pleasant shock), papi (could not see his comeback at this level), gonzo (knew he was good but jeez), and lowrie (pre-injury, didnt see the power coming as much as it did eventhough he's one-dimensional from the right). 

ells and wake really do not surprise me, always felt that if they were healthy, they could still be productive. wake is what he's been at his most normal all thru his career. to me drew is like pedy and youk.. right where i expected them to be. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: BIGGEST SURPRISE ON THIS TEAM?

I am going with Salty and Tek also, not necessarily that they are the biggest surprise, but because IMO, they were the biggest question mark going into the season, and them doing well behind the plate was also one of the most vital components to our team's success. 

The way they started off the season, I was very concerned with whether Salty would be able to handle the pitching staff.  He has come along nicely in that regard, and the fact that he and Varitek are doing so well offensively is icing on the cake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

I have to go with 2 surprises, one positive and one negative. Crawford, not for positive reasons thus far, and Wakefield for continuing to be the reliable and ageless veteran that shores up the pitching rotation when necessary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Agree with above posts.  Tek is playing like a younger man right now, and Salty is beginning to fit in really well.

This is going to sound crazy, but in the limited time we've seen him, Yamaico Navarro has shown some serious potential.  Dude's got a cannon and he hits the ball hard (when he hits it). 

Granted, I doubt we'll see tons of him this season, but the Sox definitely need some hitters to offset the pitching woes right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Biggest Surprise ? 

Starting Pitchers not able to go a whole season without some time on the DL. Who knew ? Theo ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The biggest surprise considering he started the season at AAA is Aceves.

Where would they be without this versatile pitcher?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

For me, it is Beckett. No clue that he would perform this well, expected further decline. Papi's resurgence is right behind Beckett as the biggest surprise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Ortiz had 32 HR, 102 RBIs and batted .270, including nearly .290 the last five months of the season, so I'm not sure how what Ortiz is doing this year can be classified as a resurgence. Yes, he's hitting better against lefties, but overall, his stats haven't jumped considerably.

I predicted Beckett would be in the conversation of being the ace of the staff, so I'm not surprise about him -- call it a lucky guess if you want.

I felt Ellsbury would pick up where he left off in 2009.

Guys like Aceves, Miller and Salty -- I didn't know how good or bad they'd be. Salty, I felt had potential, so he's living up to it. I don't know if it can be classified as a huge surprise, more like a pleasant surprise.

I voted for Lackey. There was no predicting that he would be this bad. People rip Lackey's season for last year, but a 4.40 ERA is at least mediocre and a far cry from a 7-plus ERA. Him being as bad as he's been this year has been the biggest shocker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: BIGGEST SURPRISE ON THIS TEAM?:
    [QUOTE]For me, it is Beckett. No clue that he would perform this well, expected further decline. Papi's resurgence is right behind Beckett as the biggest surprise.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]
    great call.. i totally forgot to even incl him. yep, beckett should be before PAPi. i did not anticipate him having this resurgence , health or in performance. thought theo was wrong to extend him. again, another great move by theo..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree that Beckett is a surprise....I expected a bounce back year, but not as good as he has been.

I am alos surprised a little by Youk and Pedey this year....not that they have been bad , but both have been striking out so much more this year than in their career....in some ways Youk looks like he has completely changed his approach at the plate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to BIGGEST SURPRISE ON THIS TEAM?:
    [QUOTE]good or bad, who do you think has been the most pleasant shocker on this team thus far. you may pick or discuss jenks, mac, crawford, lackey or drew for how horrible they've been based on the expectations. you may pick the pleasant shockers such as both catchers, beckett, ells, papi (what a comeback), gonzo, lowrie, navarro, miller, aceves, wake, redick or an albers. i personally am going with SALTY. i didnt seee that happening, followed closely by tek, beckett, aceves, miller, navarro, reddick, lackless (by his futility), mac (putrid), albers (pleasant shock), papi (could not see his comeback at this level), gonzo (knew he was good but jeez), and lowrie (pre-injury, didnt see the power coming as much as it did eventhough he's one-dimensional from the right).  ells and wake really do not surprise me, always felt that if they were healthy, they could still be productive. wake is what he's been at his most normal all thru his career. to me drew is like pedy and youk.. right where i expected them to be. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Papi, I never thought we would see him hit 300 again.  Not only that, his BB to SO ratio is great.  Ells I expected to do well even last season but he got hurt.  Salty I thought could hit 260 this season so Jason would be the next biggest surprise after a few years of hitting 220.  Hopefully it continues because every bit helps.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Beckett or even Matt Albers, on the negative side Carl Crawford

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm going with Ellsbury.  I had my doubts about how well he would do after missing most of last season.  Not only has he picked up where he left off in 2009, he's gone beyond that and is hitting the ball with a lot more power than I expected.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Beckett.........You think Bartolo's doctor in the Dominican has Beckett's name in his Rolodex?                                                            

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

ADDENDUM: ANOTHER PERSON I SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED is dice-k. its kind of surprising his career is essentially over at least with the sox. i expected another dice season, more like a return to year 1. expected  him to throw sr=trikes and be healthy, building on last yea.. instead its all over!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Biggest negative surprise:  Lackey.  I honestly thought that he'd have a bounceback year.

Biggest positive surprises:  Beckett and Ortiz.  I didn't see Beckett bouncing back like this and I didn't see Ortiz emerging like the player he was 3 years ago.  I'd put Ellsbury on here but I honestly thought that he was going to break out this year, even with the injury last season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Salty and Miller