Bill Lee stopped by Boston.com to answer readers questions about his playing days, life after baseball, a movie project he's working on, and today's Red Sox and MLB.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Bill Lee stopped b...

Former Red Sox lefthander Bill 'Spaceman' Lee stopped by today to discuss his playing days, life after baseball, a movie project he's working on, and today's Red Sox team. 
    Here's the transcript:

2:53
    Bill Lee: 
    Before I sign off, I'd like to thank everyone for their loyalty. A final reminder that a couple of filmmakers are looking to bring my life story to the sliver screen, and you can help get it done. If you want to learn about the film, and even how to help get it made, www.kickstarter.com/projects/1967598918/have-glove-will-travel-the-bill-spaceman-lee-movie" target="_blank">check out this link. You can get books, bats, maybe even a weekend at my farm in Vermont for helping out. And remember, a prophet in his own time is not well-respected. A couple hundred years from now, everyone will start listening to me.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:53 Bill Lee
    2:44
    Bill Lee: 
    Last year, I could have. I was as good as I'm going to get. Last year I was day-to-day. This year, I'm minute-to-minute.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:44 Bill Lee
    2:43
    [Comment From JHB JHB: ] 
    The Red Sox need a situational left-handed relief pitcher, and I think that there's room on the 40-man roster. If they ask you to join the team when rosters expand on September 1st, can you still get out a left-handed hitter who's never seen you pitch?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:43 JHB
    2:42
    Bill Lee: 
    Not much. I'm not the token type of guy. Of course he was a Red Sox player. It's not where you end, it's where you start. It's the journey, not the destination.
    Bill Lee: 
    Not much. I'm not the token type of guy. Of course he was a Red Sox player. It's not where you end, it's where you start. It's the journey, not the destination.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:42 Bill Lee
    [Comment From Jack Jack: ] 
    Bill, what did you think of the Sox re-signing Nomar for 1 day so he could retire a Sox?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:42 Jack
    2:41
    Bill Lee: 
    My favorite teammate was Jim Willoughby. He had the best conscience.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:41 Bill Lee
    2:41
    [Comment From Matt Matt: ] 
    Hey Bill. Who was one of your favorites teammates of all time? Which player did you hate facing as a pitcher?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:41 Matt
    2:40
    Bill Lee: 
    The best pitch in baseball is a fastball. If he can throw 96 and up and in all day long, he'll never be hit. If he's mortal like me, he better learn to throw a sinker.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:40 Bill Lee
    2:39
    [Comment From Guest Guest: ] 
    whats your favorite pitch to throw and how do you throw it? grip, etc.? Looking to give my kid a tip from a pro. He wont listen to me. I LOVED your Leephus pitch! except when you threw it to Perez!
    Bill Lee: 
    "Apolitical Boogie" and "Fatman in the Bathtub."
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:38 Bill Lee
    2:38
    [Comment From Ron Ron: ] 
    What is your favorite Little Feat tune?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:38 Ron
    2:37
    Bill Lee: 
    Johnny Weismuller.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:37 Bill Lee
    [Comment From Jim Jim: ] 
    Who do you want to play you in the movie?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:37 Jim
    Bill Lee: 
    Munson was an arrogant pain in the ---, but he was a great hitter and a great catcher. Quickest release I ever saw. Martin sent me a couple of mackerels and told me where I could shove them.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:37 Bill Lee
    2:35
    [Comment From Pauline Pauline: ] 
    What type of individuals were Billy Martin and Thurman Munson?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:35 Pauline
    2:35
    Bill Lee: 
    No, actually. My catcher right now is a kid named Miro, he's damn good. He's my catcher right now for the Burlington Cardinals. He's running for mayor. I had Bob Boone is Alaska. He was no slouch. Gary Carter was great, too. But my best catcher ever was Bob Montgomery. He used to catch me all the time because Fisk and I would butt heads.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:35 Bill Lee
    2:33
    [Comment From Greg Greg: ] 
    Was Carlton Fisk the best catcher you ever played with?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:33 Greg
    2:32
    Bill Lee: 
    The designated hitter. Let's go back to letting the pitchers hit, wood bats, and Little League.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:32 Bill Lee
    2:32
    [Comment From Mark Mark: ] 
    If you could change one thing about major league baseball today, what would it be?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:32 Mark
    2:31
    Bill Lee: 
    The '75 team. The '78 team could have been better if they let me pitch and kept Carbo. Here comes Gossage! Where's Carbo? Bob Bailey?!
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:31 Bill Lee
    2:30
    [Comment From peter peter: ] 
    hey Bill, I used to see you all the time @ the Bullpen in davis Sq........Which team was better the 1975 team or the 1978 team ?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:30 peter
    2:30
    Bill Lee: 
    So all of you people out there chatting, I want you to do a little bit of yoga when we're done here.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:30 Bill Lee
    2:29
    Bill Lee: 
    If your setup guy is going good, you should let him keep going. If it ain't broke... Buckminster Fuller said specialization breeds extinction.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:29 Bill Lee
    2:29
    [Comment From Howard F Howard F: ] 
    I'd like to know what Bill thinks of the current format in baseball where certain pitchers are "assigned" to the 7th inning, 8th inning, and 9th inning?? Whatever happened to the old days when you watched and by the eye made decisions to yank a pitcher and not by pitch count etc??
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:29 Howard F
    2:28
    Bill Lee: 
    Because I could still get people out lefthanded. Plus, I eat with my right hand. Don't want to wear that out. A man's gotta know his priorities.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:28 Bill Lee
    2:27
    [Comment From Jksaia Jksaia: ] 
    Bill, you mentioned in your Cuba documentary that you could pitch right-handed as well as you could left-handed. If that is true, why didn't you give it a try?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:27 Jksaia
    2:26
    Bill Lee: 
    By the way, Red Sox are up 2-0 in the sixth. This lefty Miller looks great. He looked like my oldest son when I saw him in spring training. We really hit it off.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:26 Bill Lee
    2:25
    Bill Lee: 
    Games are going too long in general. When Joe West complained about Red Sox-Yanks games going too long, I'd say call the outside strike. If we had more Pedroia's in the league, these games would move.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:25 Bill Lee
    2:24
    Bill Lee: 
    Manager and catchers are calling it more and more, and that's slowing down the game. If the catcher looks over at the dugout, I'm going to plunk him in the ear.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:24 Bill Lee
    2:23
    [Comment From Max Max: ] 
    Do managers or catchers call the game or do pitchers have a say?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:23 Max
    2:22
    Bill Lee: 
    The problem is, these players leave the ballparks with Halliburtons full of cash, and they don't want to jeopardize that. If you have to work in the winter to pay your bills, you play a little harder. The game is still a great game, it's just different. They should take all the strength coaches in the major leagues and put them in the Gulf Stream. When they hit Iceland, they'll be a lot thinner.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:22 Bill Lee
    2:20
    [Comment From Belmonts Kid Belmonts Kid: ] 
    Bill may I first say you were way before my time but still one of my favorites and you are one most interesting charecters to ever play the game. My question is I know that when you played for the Red Sox the rilvary was so strong and deep with the the Yankees. Why do you think it isn't as strong today and what would it take to get that rilvary back. I mean speaking as a fan I hate the Yankees but I feel the players just don't have the same mentality.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:20 Belmonts Kid
    2:19
    Bill Lee: 
    If it's the same pitcher as you, definitely. No two snowflakes are alike.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:19 Bill Lee
    2:19
    [Comment From Bob Bob: ] 
    How closely should a pitcher use scouting reports?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:19 Bob
    2:18
    Bill Lee: 
    And as Casey Stengel says, "You could look it up."
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:18 Bill Lee
    2:18
    Bill Lee: 
    More on that: when we got rid of Carbo, we were up 14 games on the Yankees. I was 10-6. I lost 4 tough games and was demoted. On December 7, Pearl Harbor Day, I was traded to Montreal. In Montreal, I was 10-6. I lost 4 tough ballgames. Dick Williams kept me in the rotation. I ended up 16-10.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:18 Bill Lee
    2:17
    Bill Lee: 
    Because they thought I was finished. And they had to make payroll. Actually, that's why they got rid of Carbo. And that's why I walked out that next day.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:17 Bill Lee
    2:16
    [Comment From Sharon Sharon: ] 
    Why did the Sox trade you?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:16 Sharon
    2:16
    Bill Lee: 
    Tony Oliva wore me out. Most catchers seemed to hit me well. Ken Suarez went something like 7-for-8 against me. In terms of today, Pujols when he's healthy. Anyone who ends in a Z or a vowel I had trouble getting out.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:16 Bill Lee
    2:14
    [Comment From Ryan in Boston Ryan in Boston: ] 
    As a pitcher, who was the toughest hitter that you ever faced and who do you think is the toughest batter currently playing for pitchers to face?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:14 Ryan in Boston
    2:12
    Bill Lee: 
    Tom Yawkey loved me. At the end of his life, he was stealing my National Geographics. During the winter, I'd go talk to him and told him he killed so many birds on the South Carolina coast with DDT, that he would be reincarnated into a bird. I see he and his wife - they're crows in my backyard in Craftsbury. I think it's his first wife.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:12 Bill Lee
    2:11
    [Comment From Nathan Nathan: ] 
    What type of owner was Tom Yawkey?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:11 Nathan
    2:10
    Bill Lee: 
    Yes he would. He's the best right-handed hitter of our time. He just needed someone to guide him down the path, build his security, and make him more fan-friendly. Then he would still be here, driving in 100 runs, and we'd be 12 games ahead of the Yankees. Amen.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:10 Bill Lee
    2:09
    [Comment From Caterina Caterina: ] 
    Hi Bill. Big fan of yours. Would Manny Ramirez have been a friend of yours if he was playing with the Sox in the 70s? Thanks.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:09 Caterina
    2:09
    Bill Lee: 
    Yes, they are too friendly. I saw Jeter and Garciaparra sharing spit behind the batting cage. Maybe it was A-Rod, he had the sunglasses and pancake makeup. In terms of why the teams hate each other, it goes back to Harry Frazee and Jacob Ruppert and Babe Ruth of course. The Red Sox won all the World Series in the early part of the century. Then Ruppert got the mortgage on the ballpark. Fans have to realize that the Yankees never won the World Series until 1923. And 81 of those games were won by ex-Red Sox pitchers. I'm #3 or 4 all-time in winning percentage against the Yankees. I love the Yankees - when they show up.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:09 Bill Lee
    2:06
    [Comment From Pete Pete: ] 
    Why did the Yankee-Red Sox players hate each other? Do you feel todays ballplayers are too friendly with the opposing club?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:06 Pete
    2:06
    Bill Lee: 
    Let's put it this way: he threw a lot harder than people think. When he was with Cleveland, he threw a lot harder. He broke his scapula, then he came back as a real smart pitcher. But he wasn't as good as his dad, who was the #1 lefthander in the history of Cuba for 20 years.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:06 Bill Lee
    2:05
    [Comment From Debbie Debbie: ] 
    How great a pitcher was Luis Tiant?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:05 Debbie
    2:04
    Bill Lee: 
    Yes I did. Once he got out of rehab. Of course, all of my friends are out of rehab, and all they do is chainsmoke Marlboro Lights and drink Diet Pepsi. And they tell me I have a problem.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:04 Bill Lee
    2:04
    [Comment From SpongeBob SpongeBob: ] 
    Hi Bill - Did you ever stay in touch with Zevon in the later years before his untimely end?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:04 SpongeBob
    2:03
    Bill Lee: 
    Because fans are dumb. Buy a six-pack, watch it at home. Hell, do it with me. Then you get good color commentary and you don't have to listen to Remy. What does a middle infielder know about pitching? One thing: it's hard to hit.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:03 Bill Lee
    2:02
    [Comment From Sam Sam: ] 
    With the owners getting millions from TV contracts, why do the fans have to pay outrageous prices at the ballpark?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:02 Sam
    Bill Lee: 
    No. If you put too many carrots in front of the horse, he won't work, he'll just sit there and eat.
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:02 Bill Lee
    [Comment From Nicky Nicky: ] 
    Are present day ballplayers justified in getting multi- year, multi-million dollasr contracts?
    Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:02 Nicky
    1:38
    Boston.com Sports: 
    Chat should begin in about 15 mins. Thanks for your patience everyone.
    2:01
    Bill Lee: 
    Hey there, baseball fans. Thanks for taking the time to chat with me today. One of the reason I'm visiting with you today is to promote a film that's in development about my life, "Have Glove, Will Travel." If you want to learn about the film, and even how to help get it made,www.kickstarter.com/projects/1967598918/have-glove-will-travel-the-bill-spaceman-lee-movie" target="_blank"> check out this link.. We've got all kinds of incentives from buttons to books to what promises to be a wild weekend at my farm in Vermont. OK, let's get going.
     Wednesday July 20, 2011 2:01 Bill Lee
    1:28

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Bill Lee stopped by Boston.com to answer readers questions about his playing days, life after baseball, a movie project h...

Bill Lee epitomizes why baseball is truely a fun game in all aspects...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Re: Bill Lee stopped by Boston.com to answer readers questions about his playing days, life after baseball, a movie project h...

Bill Lee would have fit in with the 04 club.