B.J Upton gets 5 years 75 millions from the braves.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: B.J Upton gets 5 years 75 millions from the braves.

It does seem pretty expensive for what Upton has done so far in his career, but I would think that since he is still so young that he will have better days ahead of him.

Napoli getting 10-13 M/yr for 4 years is even more scary, in my opinion, because he is a few years older, has no speed, has questionable durability (only 220 games in the last two years), and does not play a premium defensive position any longer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The contract is in line with B.J. Upton's valuation the past six seasons:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5015&position=OF#value

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

*Shaking my head* at the Atlanta Braves. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He got what his market value/worth is. We can argue that the market value is certainly high and the "worth" of a certain player, but the contract is right on.

Napoli can DH in his final year or two. Hes just a big dude natually. He had a nagging leg injury last year and not sure if he was used on a ft basis in Texas...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

It does seem pretty expensive for what Upton has done so far in his career, but I would think that since he is still so young that he will have better days ahead of him.

Napoli getting 10-13 M/yr for 4 years is even more scary, in my opinion, because he is a few years older, has no speed, has questionable durability (only 220 games in the last two years), and does not play a premium defensive position any longer.

no speed

barely stays on the field

cannot catch

but hey how about those 24 games at Fenway!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

With the significant spike in television revenues, teams may well be paying inflated prices for free agents this system.

A good share of the increased revenues should go to the frontline performers who attract those revenues, but I suspect the salary increases for pre-arbitration and arbitration players will not keep pace with the salary increases for free agents. If so, management is getting an even better deal on those pre-free agency players who make up a healthy majority of the on-field workforce.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

In response to charliedarling's comment:

no speed

barely stays on the field

cannot catch

but hey how about those 24 games at Fenway!

Those 24 should not make a difference since we wont be pitching against him...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If BJ is getting $15M/yr x 5, then let's sign Naps pronto.

This is sick!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Reactionary moon, reactionary

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If these are the prices, then if we go by softy's scale of value, we'll never sign another FA again.

Is that Ok with you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

lol. I am okay with signing NO Fa this winter that is asking for more than 8 million a season. I (if GM) would be prepared to make my biggest moves in July and/or the following winter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

lol. I am okay with signing NO Fa this winter that is asking for more than 8 million a season. I (if GM) would be prepared to make my biggest moves in July and/or the following winter.

If we sign no FA, would you make trades instead or trot the team currently assembled out there?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Deals in July are notorious overpays due to desperate bidders.

I am not ovejoyed by this year's FA class either. I think we can make 2 big trades for younger players and be better for 2013, but more importantly beyond 2014 as well.

I'd be happy with McCarthy or Marcum and maybe Naps at $33M/3, but I wont be upset if we dont get Greinke, Sanchez, hamilton, naps or Swish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Braves are known as a smart organization. They are trying to improve their club.  We can sit here and knock it all we want. What is our plan ?  Are we content to stink again in 2013 ?  And hope that our minor league prospects will develop into MLB stars in 2014 ?  Wait for a " better " free agent class ?   Save money ? What exactly is our plan ?  I think that many of you are satisfied to have a losing team , as long as you can continue to speculate about what we can do to improve in the future.   Also , many of you will say anything that supports Ben Cherington. What has he done to deserve this loyalty ?   Letting Papelbon leave without a fight ?  Trading Reddick for Bailey ?  Giving Youkilis away , while paying almost all of his salary ?  Signing a bunch of ham and eggers ? Is there any reason to defend this record ?  Do you really want to extol the virtues of Ross and Gomes , while denigrating BJ Upton ?    If Ben fails to significantly improve this team by Spring Training , will you still support him ?   My guess is that you will , while  trying to demean those of us who are not satisfied with this situation.  After all , we are just spoiled crybabies and whiners , who do not have the patience to wait for Cecchini and Swihart to come along and save the day.  Anyway , I am sure that John Henry appreciates your concern for his finances.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Sox still refusing to sign Ellsbury.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The Braves are known as a smart organization. They are trying to improve their club.  We can sit here and knock it all we want. What is our plan ?  Are we content to stink again in 2013 ?  And hope that our minor league prospects will develop into MLB stars in 2014 ?  Wait for a " better " free agent class ?   Save money ? What exactly is our plan ?  I think that many of you are satisfied to have a losing team , as long as you can continue to speculate about what we can do to improve in the future.   Also , many of you will say anything that supports Ben Cherington. What has he done to deserve this loyalty ?   Letting Papelbon leave without a fight ?  Trading Reddick for Bailey ?  Giving Youkilis away , while paying almost all of his salary ?  Signing a bunch of ham and eggers ? Is there any reason to defend this record ?  Do you really want to extol the virtues of Ross and Gomes , while denigrating BJ Upton ?    If Ben fails to significantly improve this team by Spring Training , will you still support him ?   My guess is that you will , while  trying to demean those of us who are not satisfied with this situation.  After all , we are just spoiled crybabies and whiners , who do not have the patience to wait for Cecchini and Swihart to come along and save the day.  Anyway , I am sure that John Henry appreciates your concern for his finances.  

If we paid BJ $76M/5, I'd be bashing Ben more than you ever have.

You are the most impatient poster I have ever seen.

Did you really want BJ, Hunter, or any other FA that has changed teams thus far?

Ben has several plans in the works. He's working on the right combination. He will not be left empty handed. That's a fact-Jack!

Wait it out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Sox still refusing to trade Ellsbury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

If we paid BJ $76M/5, I'd be bashing Ben more than you ever have.

You are the most impatient poster I have ever seen.

Did you really want BJ, Hunter, or any other FA that has changed teams thus far?

Ben has several plans in the works. He's working on the right combination. He will not be left empty handed. That's a fact-Jack!

Wait it out.

Impatience is not a vice when your team collapses in 2011 and completely tanks in 2012.  Patience is not a virtue in those circumstances.  I do hope that Ben has a good plan in the works. He has been a failure so far.  Personally , I would not have signed Upton or Hunter. I would take a shot at Hamilton , who , despite the risks involved , is the only real star out there.  You are the most egotistical and overbearing poster that I have ever seen.   And , how can you know something is a " fact " , when it has yet to occur ?   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If we sign no FA, would you make trades instead or trot the team currently assembled out there?

Obviously if we can sign someone for 1-2 years at 8 million or under who can help round-out the team then by all means. Otherwise I do roll into 2013 with Iggy at SS, Lavarnway might start in AAA now that we have Ross, and of course we must bring in one outfielder or first-basemen. If I can get a 1B I would throw Kalish out into the outfiled for Game One.

The rotation we already have in place if we make the right decision and not compete in 2013. Lester is trade bait and so is Ellesbury, both of whom you trade for a player that helps you immediately or by 2014. 

After 86 years we should know that you can not win it every year and why not go into 2013 with a plan for 14. We do have a good base crew and of course the team is bloody rich; we can acquire/sign anyone we want at any time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[/QUOTE]

Impatience is not a vice when your team collapses in 2011 and completely tanks in 2012.  Patience is not a virtue in those circumstances.  I do hope that Ben has a good plan in the works. He has been a failure so far.  Personally , I would not have signed Upton or Hunter. I would take a shot at Hamilton , who , despite the risks involved , is the only real star out there.  You (moonslav59) are the most egotistical and overbearing poster that I have ever seen.   And , how can you know something is a " fact " , when it has yet to occur ?   - dgalehouse

[/QUOTE]

Hey dude don't insult moon, only softlaw has permission to do that!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

but but softlaw didnt you see his 2010 season... the dude played played in a whopping 140 games and batted .239. And he drove in a massive 68 runs.

He doesn't even hit doubles for heavens sake.... let alone more than 22 homers in a season. 

Career high for hits:  118 

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

What part of Scott Boras is my agent don't you understand?

Sections
Shortcuts