B.J Upton gets 5 years 75 millions from the braves.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: B.J Upton gets 5 years 75 millions from the braves.

Wake up to reality, folks...everybody is overpaying for free agents so far...short supply of talent and big supply of cash...prices shoot up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wake up to reality, folks...everybody is overpaying for free agents so far...short supply of talent and big supply of cash...prices shoot up.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, which is why it's even more important for the Sox to make smart decisions this off season.

The last thing they should do is sign a player simply because he's a "star".

Overpaying is one thing, grossly overpaying, like Crawford and Lackey, is another.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I might have considered Upton on a short-term Beltre or Ross-type deal if he wanted to reestablish some value and seek a bigger payday...apparently he didn't need to. When a guy with a sub-.300 OBP is getting $15 mil per year, this free agent market scares the hell out of me. Reminds me of two winters ago...once Jayson Werth signed with Washington we knew Carl Crawford was going to get a ludicrous contract from some team, which unfortunately turned out to be us. Hopefully Ben doesn't overreact and overpay for someone who's not worth it, as so many posters here would like him to do...I'd like to have a Napoli or Swisher on our team, but not if the years and dollars start getting crazy (and I wouldn't be surprised if both are salivating and have eyes full of $ signs after seeing what Upton just signed for).

All the negative nancies who are demanding action RIGHT NOW!!! will be the same ones screeching in three or four years if we're stuck with the next Crawford or Lackey (or Lugo or Drew or Dice-K) contract because Cherington did something just for the sake of doing it. Simply bringing in expensive players isn't a recipe for winning (as the years since 2007 ought to have taught us)... if 2013 is going to be a bridge year anyway, I'd rather look for the 1 or 2-yr bargains and start phasing in the next wave of youth than do something rash that will handcuff us in the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Atlanta can afford to "overpay" B.J. Upton because the rules permitted the Braves to pay Jason Heyward, Craig Kimbrel, Kris Medlen, Freddie Freeman, Tommy Hanson, Jonny Venters and Brandon Beachy about the league minimum last season, well below their value in the open market.

The salary structure results in generous contracts for productive free agents, suppressed salaries for productive players with less than six years of MLB service and perhaps an inflated salary of nearly $500,000 for the 25th man of each team's roster.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He got what his market value/worth is

Very embarrassing event for MLB fans. Fortunately, 75 million on a 3rd rate career OF'er will be the debt of the Atlanta Braves. The biggest issue of all is BJ Upton's age, which will be 29 years old for the first year of that contract. He's done zero to distinguish himself as a 1st rate producer, and he will not even have the potemkin cover of being a capable full-time CF'er for the full length of that contract. BJ Upton will end up in an Atlanta dumpster, the inevitable reality of younger and better talent putting him out with the Bravos refuse. 

It is no defense to pretend that this was a sly move away from Bourn's massive market costs. This was a foolish cavalier move of desperation that will do nothing to improve the team season performance for the Bravos.

Pathetic is a mild way to define this FA Big Labor class of 2013.

Napoli, as a primary 1st baseman, would be more embarrassing @ 3 or 4 years and 40 to 50 million, much less 75 million ore more, which will depend upon whether one or more GM's uses desperation to mainfest incompetence.   

Napoli is absolutley nothing more than a 2 year 2nd rate role player, at a position where there is far superior value and fit beyond 2013 and 2014. 2nd rate role players are important, but not at 1st rate base and term costs.

[/QUOTE]

Softy, you are becoming just like Bill but w/o the good nature.....what is the nonsense about labor contracts? Do you really believe that what you think a player SHOULD be worth means anything? I think they are overpaid like mad, but that doesnt divorce me from the reality of what the market pays. Do you go to the gas station and argue with the attendents that the gas should only be worth $1.35? Those days are over and watching you constantly underprice every player by demeaning their worth is boring.....For the sake of the board and as one of the few people who enjoy reading your BASEBALL thoughts, cut the s h i t please....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Softy, you are becoming just like Bill but w/o the good nature.....what is the nonsense about labor contracts? Do you really believe that what you think a player SHOULD be worth means anything? I think they are overpaid like mad, but that doesnt divorce me from the reality of what the market pays. Do you go to the gas station and argue with the attendents that the gas should only be worth $1.35? Those days are over and watching you constantly underprice every player by demeaning their worth is boring.....For the sake of the board and as one of the few people who enjoy reading your BASEBALL thoughts, cut the s h i t please....

[/QUOTE]

Good one georom.  He probably does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The worst part is that he believes all the CEOs, hedge fund managers, and team owners earn every penny they make.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

A. MLB isn't a free market

B. I've noted that "having cash" and "weak MLB FA class labor" means you idiots are all in on BJ Upton and 75 million and Napoli and 50 million plus

Nobody is saying Upton is worth 15M per, so I dont think were "all in", we just accept that that is they way it is nowadays in MLB FA...

C. Had the Red Sox paid for value and fit, AGon would still be here, Crawford would have never been signed, and the Red Sox would have already acquired J. Upton and extended his contract.

How do you know Upton would extend his contract...With any team? By the time hes a FA, his value could be well north of 20M depending on how he does...And Im sure you'll think he worth every penny...

D. Red Sox fans are mostly incompetents droning "you have to pay the market", just like the latest GM incompetent.

Fact is, we have to accept the way the market is. Fighting and whining about, like you, does no good. If you were GM you would be in the cellar every year with the lowball offers you come up with...

E. The Red Sox brand is now a losing brand that fans continue to pay enormous prices for lousy big labor performance

The Sox made some solid decisions early on and it brought us 2 wsc. They went against what got them there and it ultimately failed. Now, with BC, they are making things right again. This is one of the greatest organizations in all sports and they will regain their spot on the top once again, with your buddy BC leading the way...

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Makes you wonder why softy follows a commie business like baseball so very closely.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Makes you wonder why softy follows a commie business like baseball so very closely.

[/QUOTE]

It fits his schtick on this forum...perfect outlet

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

D. Red Sox fans are mostly incompetents droning "you have to pay the market", just like the latest GM incompetent.

[/QUOTE]

if you don't pay the market you'll be outbid on every FA and thus be forced to build a team entirely through trade which is unrealistic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if you don't pay the market you'll be outbid on every FA and thus be forced to build a team entirely through trade which is unrealistic.

[/QUOTE]

...and we all know how much softy loves our kids (except his fellow North Carolinian, Bradley).

Sections
Shortcuts