BLOCKBUSTER DEAL - BLUE JAYS INSTANT FAVORITES TO WIN THE DIVISION!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: BLOCKBUSTER DEAL - BLUE JAYS INSTANT FAVORITES TO WIN THE DIVISION!

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

got to wonder what Farrell is thinking about this news...

[/QUOTE

John Farrell is probably thinking, "Thank God I don't have to deal with Jose Reyes for the next 5 years."  Read the article below and tell me you'd want to root for this guy...

http://michaelperry18.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/jose-reyes-nl-batting-chump-not-champ/

I remember seeing that and though what a loser this guy is. Ted Williams was going for .400 and he couldve sat out and played it safe. But then again, Great players play and are not selfish.

Exactly, Southpaw...I just never liked Reyes, either.  He seems to be one of those "stat" guys that carry fantasy baseball teams.  Plus, I'm not going to lie, I love Boegarts and I've seen him play enough where he seems to have that "quality" that you can't explain, but you just know the kid is going to be something special.  I think there are enough people in the Sox Front Office who feel that Boegarts is pretty much untouchable at this point and he's got the kind of makeup where they wouldn't be concerned about bringing him too early. The scouting reports just don't do this kid justice. 

It's similar to last year with Middlebrooks.  I argued with Moon and Hill a little bit because they weren't as high on him as I was, but the kid just seemed to have all of the intangibles, and more than a few people around the game have said, "the ball just sounds different coming off of his bat."  He's not there yet by any stretch, but I can't wait to see what this kid does next year if he is healthy...

I was a Middlebrooks supporter as well. people threw stats and strikeout rates at me and i was like, Theres just something about him that says "Ballplayer". the intangibles that stats cant measure. He always improved at every level since the age of 18 and yes, the ball came off his bat with a different sound. Honestly, I like Brentz for the same reasons. Watched him play at Mid tenn and said this kids a ballplayer. Then when I found out we drafted him, I was pretty happy.

Bogaerts has all this talent at a young age as well as a calming personality. I see him being very successful in Boston one day whatever position he plays.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Over the past few years people say the Jays are about to get serious and it never happens. The last time they were serious Clemens and Burnett were in the Jays rotation. It may finally be that with a good core and seeing that Baltimore was no longer the doormat of the East the FO finally went "all in". Which indeed they have, the Blue Jays are truly all in.

The Yanks face the possibilty of decline, the Red Sox have screwed up just enough that other teams in the East can expect to beat them in the standings for the next 1-2 years. Now if ever is the time for Toronto.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Meanwhile south of the border:

The Miami Marlins are the Florida Marlins again  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[/QUOTE

John Farrell is probably thinking, "Thank God I don't have to deal with Jose Reyes for the next 5 years."  Read the article below and tell me you'd want to root for this guy...

http://michaelperry18.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/jose-reyes-nl-batting-chump-not-champ/

I remember seeing that and though what a loser this guy is. Ted Williams was going for .400 and he couldve sat out and played it safe. But then again, Great players play and are not selfish.

Exactly, Southpaw...I just never liked Reyes, either.  He seems to be one of those "stat" guys that carry fantasy baseball teams.  Plus, I'm not going to lie, I love Boegarts and I've seen him play enough where he seems to have that "quality" that you can't explain, but you just know the kid is going to be something special.  I think there are enough people in the Sox Front Office who feel that Boegarts is pretty much untouchable at this point and he's got the kind of makeup where they wouldn't be concerned about bringing him too early. The scouting reports just don't do this kid justice. 

It's similar to last year with Middlebrooks.  I argued with Moon and Hill a little bit because they weren't as high on him as I was, but the kid just seemed to have all of the intangibles, and more than a few people around the game have said, "the ball just sounds different coming off of his bat."  He's not there yet by any stretch, but I can't wait to see what this kid does next year if he is healthy...

I was a Middlebrooks supporter as well. people threw stats and strikeout rates at me and i was like, Theres just something about him that says "Ballplayer". the intangibles that stats cant measure. He always improved at every level since the age of 18 and yes, the ball came off his bat with a different sound. Honestly, I like Brentz for the same reasons. Watched him play at Mid tenn and said this kids a ballplayer. Then when I found out we drafted him, I was pretty happy.

Bogaerts has all this talent at a young age as well as a calming personality. I see him being very successful in Boston one day whatever position he plays.

Yeah, Brentz is definitely a dirtdog, and he's made great strides fairly quickly.  He's staying away from the outside curve ball that used to eat him up.  I'd like to think he'll factor in the outfield by the end of next year.  He can play defense, too.

Do you live in Tennessee?  The Winter Meetings are at the Grande Ole Opry in Nashville in a few weeks and my company exhibits at the trade show there.  The Winter Meetings are a good time.  If you live down there and you can escape for a bit, I'll get you a badge to get in, but not sure how to send private information on this sight.  I'm sure someone could figure it out if you're interested. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[/QUOTE

Yeah, Brentz is definitely a dirtdog, and he's made great strides fairly quickly.  He's staying away from the outside curve ball that used to eat him up.  I'd like to think he'll factor in the outfield by the end of next year.  He can play defense, too.

Do you live in Tennessee?  The Winter Meetings are at the Grande Ole Opry in Nashville in a few weeks and my company exhibits at the trade show there.  The Winter Meetings are a good time.  If you live down there and you can escape for a bit, I'll get you a badge to get in, but not sure how to send private information on this sight.  I'm sure someone could figure it out if you're interested. 

Thanks jasko, but I no longer live there. Was helping a friend build up his business for about 2 years and took in a couple games. Im back in New England again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

relax

marlins are just clearing payroll

so they can bring arod in ;-)

That was my first thought Zac.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[/QUOTE

Thanks jasko, but I no linger live there. Was helping a friend build up his business for about 2 years and took in a couple games. Im back in New England again.

Yeah, Tennessee is definitely a little different than New England!  Hopefully the business worked out well...If the Meetings ever come up to New England again, it's definitely worth checking out.  The stories are crazy and the hotel bars never close.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure Ken Rosenthal doesn't sleep for 3 days... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[/QUOTE

Thanks jasko, but I no linger live there. Was helping a friend build up his business for about 2 years and took in a couple games. Im back in New England again.

Yeah, Tennessee is definitely a little different than New England!  Hopefully the business worked out well...If the Meetings ever come up to New England again, it's definitely worth checking out.  The stories are crazy and the hotel bars never close.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure Ken Rosenthal doesn't sleep for 3 days... 

Yeah, we changed a few things and I opened up different possiblities for him through social media and different promotional ideas as well as allocating his $$ more wisely. Also had him fire a couple employees that were not good moving forward.

he was in the red when I got there and now hes climbed out of that and is headed in the right direction. Everything was there for him, he just wasnt using all the available resources to his advantage.

Id love to go to a winter meeting. Im sure the stories I would hear being a fly on the wall would be amazing. I dont think any reporter sleeps for a few day there.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

relax

With the pole dancers in that OF bar/lounge I could only imagine the marketing possibilities ;)

With A-Rod there, there will not be any shortage of stories.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If ever their was an polar opposite example to the Yankees as what is wrong to baseball it is the Marlins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

If ever their was an polar opposite example to the Yankees as what is wrong to baseball it is the Marlins.

That city just dumped a ton of $$ and built then a new stadium. Loria signes a bunch of FA to prove hes serious, then dumpes them off in a fire sale the following year. He shouldnt be able to run a MLB team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

So several players moving from a last-place team to a fourth-place team makes the latter team the favorite?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nick CafardoNick Cafardo@nickcafardo

Source: Red Sox made a push for both Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson, but Jays just blew Marlins away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

relax

LOL Zac.

As for the trade it really doesn't change much in the division.

Yanks still favorites followed by the O's.

Maybe Farrell can get his old job back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

read the Reyes article...and yes, I would have been livid if Red Sox had been successful in their bid for him...but the really disgusting line from the article to me was this one...."He instructed manager Terry Collins to pull him out of the game."   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Can we call the Jays the best team ever yet?

In 1992 and 1993 then yes.  

In 2013, the Blue Jays will be a favorite to win one of the two wild card berths.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Why are they Favorites? And who's the dummy that started that rumor?

Blue Jays, Marlins Complete Blockbuster Trade

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Next Great Trade: Toronto, Miami, Boston

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

GM HH

''Maybe Farrell can get his old job back''.

lol

yeah I was thinking that too

kinda of surprised how many fans

don't wish their team just picked 2 quality 200 inning starters

and a AS SS

I know I do, I suspect some just feel the need to protect ben

and others really do care more about bargains than winning

I think it will change the standings

but it's way to early to know what moves will be made by other teams

Zac,

Fair points...but on the flipside, those who protest the loudest around here when money isn't flying out of the team's coffers fast enough in November are usually also at the forefront complaining about bad contracts once they start clogging up the payroll and limiting the team's ability to make other deals to improve.

I'm not afraid of spending money or giving up prospects, as long as it's done wisely and not just for the sake of making a splash...we ought to know by now that simply getting as many All-Stars as you can on the roster isn't a recipe for winning championships. And honestly, I don't expect all this team's issues to be fixed with finality this winter, and I'd be fine with Ben C making some conservative "bridge" moves as we wait for the next crop of prospects to mature in 2014 or 15, rather than making big expensive deals just to do something. That's just my attitude....others may feel we need to win right now, but even so, there are enough caution signs with the players involved in this trade and the price would have been so high in money and prospects that I'm not going to crucify Ben for not pulling the trigger. I think we can do better.

Sections
Shortcuts