Blockbuster Trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveMariner. Show SteveMariner's posts

Blockbuster Trade?

KXLY Spokane reports that the Seattle Mariners recognize they need a lot more than Felix Hernandez to contend and may be willing to part with him if a team "bowls them over" with major league-ready prospects and cost-effective established players in their primes. The Red Sox were mentioned as a likely match because of the good relationship between GM Jeff Zduriencik and the Boston front office. It's not clear whether Zduriencik's good rapport is with Epstein directly or someone else in the Red Sox organization. The Mariners have only good things to say about the Red Sox stemming from the Bedard trade.

With Theo Epstein going to the Cubs, there could be a battle between Cherington and Epstein to see who can put together the better deal for Hernandez. The Mariners will also surely solicit offers from Brian Cashman.

If the Red Sox put together a package for Hernandez, I think it would have to include three of Igesias/Middlebrooks/Kalish/Lavarnway/Bard, one of Lester/Buchholz and maybe someone like Youkilis. That's a lot to give up but the Mariners don't feel like they absolutely have to trade Hernandez. The report didn't say this, that's my speculation based on it.

If the Red Sox offer all that, I don't see how the Yankees can match it unless they do Gardner, Nova and Montero, which would never happen. The Cubs can't beat a strong Boston or New York offer either. Who do they have other than Castro (a keeper) and Garza? The Rays could maybe do something to nab Hernandez but they should keep their prospects or use them for offensive help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Blockbuster Trade?

OMG. Don't do that. Not for one player, I don't care who he is. FTR, Wakefield beat the King this season. No one is that infallible, especially considering the injuries that the Sox pitching staff have to constantly deal with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Blockbuster Trade?:
    OMG. Don't do that. Not for one player, I don't care who he is. FTR, Wakefield beat the King this season. No one is that infallible, especially considering the injuries that the Sox pitching staff have to constantly deal with.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Agree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

We haven't had a real ace since Pedro left, but that seems like a lot to give up. If I recall correctly we got Petey for Tony Armas Jr., Carl Pavano and Jeff Suppan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

okay then... if all things are equal a reasonable and fair offer would have to include Bucholz and at least one other assett (such as a Youk) and probably 1 or 2 prospects.

We never here about Lars anymore... has he lost his luster or is that AGon has diminshed need for him? Maybe he would be a useful chip.

carnie is right that we have nor had a true long-term Ace since Pedro. Curt was not here long and Beckett goes from very good to awful on a year year basis. Lester may always be a #2, and that is not a bad thing. My guess he will still win 15-20 regulary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

http://soxblog.projo.com/2011/10/lars-anderson-t-1.html#.TqJy8XOXvR0

Recent article on Lars. Seems he is still a valuable chip, even though Jed Hoyer chose Rizzo over him in the AGon trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://soxblog.projo.com/2011/10/lars-anderson-t-1.html#.TqJy8XOXvR0 Recent article on Lars. Seems he is still a valuable chip, even though Jed Hoyer chose Rizzo over him in the AGon trade.
    Posted by BurritoT
    I'd go Clay and Youk for Felix, and throw in Anderson if they insisted. No more though. Anderson actually looked better at Pawtucket this year than last.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Seriously ?   A battle between Epstein  and Cherrington  to see who can put together the biggest and best package  for Felix ?

We  looked at cubs roster and asked for Garza  and their young shortstop and they have   not much else on the  major league roster worth taking and  nothing at AAA..

If Sox wanted Felix  they could start  with Beckett and prospects  or Elsbury and prospects.. for Felix and some other talent..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I think it would have to include three of Igesias/Middlebrooks/Kalish/Lavarnway/Bard, one of Lester/Buchholz and maybe someone like Youkilis.

Way too much for King Felix, a great pitcher and certainly an ace, but literally giving up what is left of our meager prospect pool, plus Lester/Bucholz and Youk for one player, any player is too much.

Any deal the Mariners make with King Felix will be very lopsided and I would hate to see us do this. If they were willing to do a Youk/Buch/Kalish or Iglesias then I would consider, but I do not think the Mariners would make that deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

You have to keep Lester... by adding Felix and losing our best pitcher to get him is a wash. No penant without a legitimate #2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thanks for the compliment, you're a good poster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Blockbuster Trade?:
    KXLY Spokane reports that the Seattle Mariners recognize they need a lot more than Felix Hernandez to contend and may be willing to part with him if a team "bowls them over" with major league-ready prospects and cost-effective established players in their primes. The Red Sox were mentioned as a likely match because of the good relationship between GM Jeff Zduriencik and the Boston front office. It's not clear whether Zduriencik's good rapport is with Epstein directly or someone else in the Red Sox organization. The Mariners have only good things to say about the Red Sox stemming from the Bedard trade. With Theo Epstein going to the Cubs, there could be a battle between Cherington and Epstein to see who can put together the better deal for Hernandez. The Mariners will also surely solicit offers from Brian Cashman. If the Red Sox put together a package for Hernandez, I think it would have to include three of Igesias/Middlebrooks/Kalish/Lavarnway/Bard, one of Lester/Buchholz and maybe someone like Youkilis. That's a lot to give up but the Mariners don't feel like they absolutely have to trade Hernandez. The report didn't say this, that's my speculation based on it. If the Red Sox offer all that, I don't see how the Yankees can match it unless they do Gardner, Nova and Montero, which would never happen. The Cubs can't beat a strong Boston or New York offer either. Who do they have other than Castro (a keeper) and Garza? The Rays could maybe do something to nab Hernandez but they should keep their prospects or use them for offensive help.
    Posted by SteveMariner

How many wins would Lester and Buchholz have andhow much would kingFelix have? Hell no !! Bad trade...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Maybe I am doing it on purpose, your a smart guy.  Seriously though thanks for letting me know, it's a habit.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Buccholz/Lester/Youk would be of no interest to the Mariners. Ellsbury probably wouldn't either. If they wanted major league established, mid-20s studs, they'd just keep the King.

Iglesias/Kalish/Bard/Middlebrooks/Doubront

It would probably take a package like that. And to me, that's insane.

I still keep an eye on LA. With Kemp and Kershaw, there's an Ace and a RH middle of the order OFer who I think could be had for a package of prospects. I think if you offered those 5 above, and maybe a little more, you might be able to get both of these guys. I'd offer those 5 above +Ellsbury if it meant I'd end up with Kershaw and Kemp.

Kershaw
    Lester
    Buccholz
    Beckett

Crawford (just do it, and live with it)
    Pedroia
    Kemp
    Gonzalez
    Youk
    6-DH rotation
    7-OFer TBD
    8-SS TBD, possibly Lowrie/Scutaro again
    Saltalamacchia

I would sacrifice the farm system for a few years to roll that out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thank you icecream.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Wir handeln nicht Felix. 

我们不在交换费利克斯。

Nous n'échangeons pas Felix. 

אנחנו לא מסחר פליקס.

Non commerciamo Felix. 

私たちはフィリックスを交換していません。 

Nie jesteśmy trading Felix.

Nós não negociamos Felix. 

Мы не торгуем Феликс. 

Nosotros no comerciamos Felix.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Lester/Middlebrooks/Kalish probably gets it done but I don't see the Sox trying to go hard for him.  Plus, I feel like Felix would take a step backwards in Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

King Felix got hammered this year by several good hitting teams. 0-3 vs. Texas.
    Look up his vs. team splits, and you'll be shocked.
    Pass!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I don't want to be the barer of bad news but the Sox don't have the type of players to pull off a deal for Hernandez...If the M's where to trade Hernandez? It would take a package similar to the one Texas got from the Braves and would have to include a prospect with an impact middle of the order bat preferably lefthanded, who'd plays the OF and be under thier control for a minimum of 4 to 6 years...along with 3 other highly regarded prospects with at least one of them ready for the big league starting pitcher to replace Hernandez...

The M's might bite on a deal that included Ellsbury, Ranaundo, Swiihart and Cecchini with Doubront added to sweeten the deal, that's the type of deal that they'll be looking for. A "blockbuster" that helps them in the now and the future...

That said, whenever this topic is raised often overlooked is what the M's are trying to do...Which is IMHO to build a soild nucleaus of position players that can succeed in Safeco with an eye on competing for the division in 2013 and 2014...That's why they traded Fister and Bedard...2011 the goal was to see what they had in Ackley and Smoak, both of whom are lefthanded bats that project to be middle of the order types...Ackley showed himself well and they're still another year away from knowing what they have in Smoak who in my mind is the key guy in their rebuilding program...What they need and what they're looking for is prototype leadoff guy to replace the aging Ichiro and a 3B with a little pop and like many teams a catcher that can handle the stick...they have a pretty good SS in thier system along with a lot of quality arms and this year added a couple of exciting young players and found a gem in Carp...

Back to Hernandez, the M's don't need to trade him today, they aren't a small market club...His value and the expected return for him if they chose to trade him won't diminish as long as he remains healthy. So they can work the plan until they arrive at the conclusion they be better served to move him and reap the rewards a talant like him can bring on the trade market...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

It would be a great move to get Felix and I do not have a problem to include Middlebrooks, Kalish, Josh Reddick, Kevin Youk and add Lackey/DiceK to that list (eat most of his salary). That sould be enough if Mariners are smart enough. Redsox can then go after someone like Pujols to play for 1st/3rd.

Whats in it for the Mariners:
    will get one of the best 3rd baseman in the MLB.
    ML ready players in Middlebrooks, Kalish and Josh Reddick.
    A starter who can benefit from change of scenary.
    Second starter in Dice-K who will be available some time this season.

Whats in it for the Redsox:
    A legit ace which they lack dearly now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Agree with kim.
    Sum of parts not greater than a whole Hernandez, IMO.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Felix declined somewhat this year. Still would like to have him in Boston , but would not give up too much to get it done. You are always taking a chance that a pitcher could break down. Could you imagine trading several players for Felix , and he bombs in Boston?   Be very careful here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Steve, I would trade for Felix and bid for Yu Darvish.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

I'd stear clear of Darvish...respectfully speaking just not sure that I buy into the hype of another Japanese pitcher who's supposed to be the next phenom and have to pay the 30M posting fee just to negotiate with his agent...To me it about price value so unless I get a chance to see him pitch with a big league ball against big league hitters and use my own radar gun with my teams pitching coach and scouts there?

Sections
Shortcuts