Blow It All UP and Start Over!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Blow It All UP and Start Over!

Some of you seem to think no matter what we do, we are doomed to fail next year. Well, if that's what you think then we might as well scrap most of the team and shoot for a 2013-2014 ring.

Let all Free Agents go and turn down all options. Sign only arb players we can trade.

Trade Ellsbury, Lowire and Bowden to ATL for Tommy Hanson (4 years of arb control) and Eric O'Flaherty (2 yrs of arb control)

Trade Youk, Weiland, and Ranaudo to Cincy for Johnny Cueto (4 years of team control for ~$33M)

Trade Dice-K, Aviles, DMac, Albers, Atchison for the best prospects possible.

Trade Crawford and Lackey for prospects and pay the $55+M we saved in salary cuts this winter to sweeten the deal.

The 2012 Red Sox "Bridge Team":

C:   Salty/Exposito/Swihart
    DH: Lavarnway (C)
    1B: Gonzalez/Anderson/Head
    2B: Pedroia/Tejada/Coyle
    SS: Iglesias/ Bogaerts
    3B: Middlebrooks/Cecchini/Vitek
    LF: Brentz/Bradley/Hassan
    CF: Kalish/Jacobs/Ramos/Lin
    RF: Reddick/Linares/Hazelbaker/Chiang

S1 Beckett
    S2 Lester
    S3 Buchholtz
    S4 Cuertto
    S5 Hanson
    S6 Tazawa
    S7 Doubront
    S8 Barnes/Wilson/Britton/Alcantara/Owens/Kukuk/Workman

R1 Bard
    R2 Aceves
    R3 O'Flaherty
    R4 Jenks (last year)
    R5 Morales
    R6 (see SP 6/7)
    R6 (see SP 6/7/8)

I like the rotation and some core player remain to help in 2013 and 2014, but is this what some of you really wish for?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Blow It All UP and Start Over!

LZ, true, but consider the mind you are attempting to respond to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm with you, Moon. This was one of the best teams in baseball up until September and one that it took years to build. 

I find it fascinating that some of the same people who were blaming it all on Tito are now also calling for a major upheaval in the roster. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Reminder: this is not what I want. I brought it up to prompt those who think we have no shot next year to give us their plan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Crawford's contract makes him very difficult to trade.
    Who in their right mind would want Lackey?
    We should hold onto Ells. He had a monster of a year and hopefully he can duplicate that next season. If he has another great year then re-signing him becomes a priority. Ells & Pedey are a nice nuleus to build around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

j

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Blow It All UP and Start Over!:
    Reminder: this is not what I want. I brought it up to prompt those who think we have no shot next year to give us their plan.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Some of your plan is actually generous to the RS based on historical pattern.

Most of the players the RS would jettison would be coveted by teams looking to get over the top and therefore those teams would be looking to move prospects for the players the RS would be trading.

So the actual impact on the 2012 product would probably be greater than the example you gave to make your point.

It is a viable way to go, many teams by shear force of budget are forced to this. By trading veterans for others prospects and drafting well these clubs have deep farm systems. But it is almost always a case of getting bad in the short run to get good in the long run. So IMO Moon you actually cushioned the likely short term blow that the RS would take by "blowing it up".   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Just eat everyone's contract and treat the rest of the major league as if it's the Red Sox farm club.

Why would you blow up one of the best offensive teams in the majors?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Blow It All UP and Start Over! : Some of your plan is actually generous to the RS based on historical pattern. Most of the players the RS would jettison would be coveted by teams looking to get over the top and therefore those teams would be looking to move prospects for the players the RS would be trading. So the actual impact on the 2012 product would probably be greater than the example you gave to make your point. It is a viable way to go, many teams by shear force of budget are forced to this. By trading veterans for others prospects and drafting well these clubs have deep farm systems. But it is almost always a case of getting bad in the short run to get good in the long run. So IMO Moon you actually cushioned the likely short term blow that the RS would take by "blowing it up".     
    Posted by fivekatz

Yes, I didn't totally blow it up, because I kept players under control in 2014 and beyond. I could have dealt Beckett and others, but I tried to keep those that should still be effective in 2014.

I made this point to show the possibilities of our future if we gave up on 2012 and maybe 2013 (I trade Ells). I do not want this plan or think it is realistic, but it does show how doing a total overhaul, like some here seem to be hinting at, could occur.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I do not want this plan or think it is realistic, but it does show how doing a total overhaul, like some here seem to be hinting at, could occur.
    Posted by moonslav59

Well, I got 'toasted".  I thought it was a sarcastic joke, thrown out as a ridiculous proposition to mock those in the 'trade everyone' camp.  I still think that would be the post's best purpose. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Blow It All UP and Start Over! : Well, I got 'toasted".  I thought it was a sarcastic joke, thrown out as a ridiculous proposition to mock those in the 'trade everyone' camp.  I still think that would be the post's best purpose. 
    Posted by S5
    I thought the same thing.Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Sarcasm adds to the problem here and we have enough problems. We have :

Concern trolls who pretend to be Red Sox fans
    Closet Yankee fans who do the same.
    Those who have no fandom but love to stir the pot.
    Those who come here solely for entertainment.
    Egomaniacs who come here to test their debate skills.

Yes sarcasm just allows you to be mistaken for any of the above.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If I was GM of the Braves or the Reds, I would reject your trade proposals.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Blow It All UP and Start Over! : Well, I got 'toasted".  I thought it was a sarcastic joke, thrown out as a ridiculous proposition to mock those in the 'trade everyone' camp.  I still think that would be the post's best purpose. 
    Posted by S5

It was sarcastic, since I did not mean it as my own choice, but I did try to make it somewhat real in a best case scenario for those looking to "blow things up".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sarcasm adds to the problem here and we have enough problems. We have : Concern trolls who pretend to be Red Sox fans Closet Yankee fans who do the same. Those who have no fandom but love to stir the pot. Those who come here solely for entertainment. Egomaniacs who come here to test their debate skills. Yes sarcasm just allows you to be mistaken for any of the above.
    Posted by UticaClub

I know. 
    This board is so confusing. 
    A thread like this just further muddles your fragile brain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Make Aceves #4 starter and this team makes the playoffs. Y'all complicate this stuff too much. Throw the ball, catch the ball, hit the ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Make Aceves #4 starter and this team makes the playoffs. Y'all complicate this stuff too much. Throw the ball, catch the ball, hit the ball.
    Posted by Wolfpack13

Throw
    1) Who's going to relieve Aceves after 4 and a third?
    Catch
    2) Who's going to catch the scorchers off that reliever?
    Hit
    3) We hit the ball better than anyone else already.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Anything that creates controversy is good for the forum. Long live Softlaw, Babe. OurMan, Yazzer, and Law. The forum is dependent on youse guys. Keep up the trolling. We love you.

Sections
Shortcuts