2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Blue Jays to sign Melky Cabrera ...

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every year there are one or two teams that sign everyone in sight, and usually that team ends up underperforming. See: 2011 Red Sox, 2012 Angels/Marlins.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...

[/QUOTE]

see 07 red sox

see 09 yankees

[/QUOTE]

The '09 Yankees won the playoff games against the Twins. Umpires made so many huge bad calls that series, that they were eventually FIRED for it. I never heard of that happening before, and there have been some bad calls in playoff games. Just goes to show you how BAD those calls actually were.

It's interesting that no one ever talks about that, and how the Yankees just tack on another championship. That should be one of the biggest stories in baseball, but it's swept under the rug. If any games shouldn't count, it would be games where the umpires had to be fired. But the Yankees opened their new "cathedral" that year, and I'm sure there was no way they were going to open it up without a championship season. No matter what the cost.

Where's an asterisk when you need one?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think people are also leaving out the Phillies and their pitching staff upgrades. That team looked unbeatable to me, so you never know. And really who thought the Giants would be so successful?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

This signing will send the wrong message to kids.   LOL

Kids, if you cheat by taking testosterone, you will still be rewarded with a 2-year, $16 million contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, look at the bright side Ice-Cream...if he didn't get caught and suspended, he might have won the batting title and been rewarded with a $70 million contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, look at the bright side Ice-Cream...if he didn't get caught and suspended, he might have won the batting title and been rewarded with a $70 million contract.

[/QUOTE]

very true. He cost himself in the vicinity of 50M along with everything that comes with being MVP.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True Hfxsoxnut   :)

The Giants celebrated a World Series without him too.   LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben--wait long enough and you will find something wrong with every FA on the market. Why not start by thinking how mudh better the Sox would be by signing decent players.

You must be looking for more Cook's, Padilla's and Loney's. If you wait much longer you can have Loney for a minor league contract not even a ST invitation.

Rumor has it Grienke is headed to Toronto in addition to Haren and Jackson. They may have to DFA some current players if they keep signing people.

I wonder if they are worried about the Rule 5??

I can see the Sox overpaying for Hamilton and still finishing last-then what?

I  know I'm being unfair Ben but you even must admit--the Sox will finish in Last Place. If I were in your shoes---put Ells, Pedroia, Bailey, Lester and Ortiz on the block---Toronto might not be interested but there might be some other contenders interested. We would be the AL East version of the Marlins.

[/QUOTE]

Mad Mac, I've come to the concl sion that with Cherington two things are possible.  One he does not have the power to make moves and must get permission from Lucchino before he does anything since he is nothing more than a patsy and a flunky....OR, Cherington is even more inept and risk averse that even I, his most nasty critic, believes.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Fred,

Give the guy some time, it's still very early in the process. I get that Toronto made a big trade and due to that many of us on this site see them now as the better team. Which serves to raise everyones blod pressure. Torri Hunter, while he is a good player, was not an ideal fit with our current needs and certainly not at 13M per. Nor for that matter is Melky...both are solid players, neither are impact bats nor are either of them first baseman.

In the end, on the current market only Hamilton represents and impact bat. Short of that they'll need to engineer a trade for a middle of the order bat to play LF and or a 1B of which there aren't any impact bats on the free agent market. No sense in throwing money around on players that aren't seen as long term impactful guys.

History suggests that the current roster issues with the Sox was due to Epstein's failures to recognize the casue and effect of adding players into the mix choosing Tex over Youk then Gonzalez over Youk...Youk over Beltre. Roster moves from 2009 unitl his departure where he was more concerned about "draft pick hoarding", than on field chemistry or results. Forcing his hand to add players that weren't ideal fits. Signing Lackey (he of the pre-existing elbow condition, acondition that was such that the Angels never offered him an extension. Over Matt Holiday "the big bat to play LF who was an ideal fit to replace the departed Jason Bay or for that matter simply resigning Beltre...Which led to the signing of Crawford, who wasn't inhindsight able to deliver on his career numbers in two injury plagued seasons. More important was the void of on field leadership that was the 2011-2012 seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben--wait long enough and you will find something wrong with every FA on the market. Why not start by thinking how mudh better the Sox would be by signing decent players.

You must be looking for more Cook's, Padilla's and Loney's. If you wait much longer you can have Loney for a minor league contract not even a ST invitation.

Rumor has it Grienke is headed to Toronto in addition to Haren and Jackson. They may have to DFA some current players if they keep signing people.

I wonder if they are worried about the Rule 5??

I can see the Sox overpaying for Hamilton and still finishing last-then what?

I  know I'm being unfair Ben but you even must admit--the Sox will finish in Last Place. If I were in your shoes---put Ells, Pedroia, Bailey, Lester and Ortiz on the block---Toronto might not be interested but there might be some other contenders interested. We would be the AL East version of the Marlins.

[/QUOTE]

Mad Mac, I've come to the concl sion that with Cherington two things are possible.  One he does not have the power to make moves and must get permission from Lucchino before he does anything since he is nothing more than a patsy and a flunky....OR, Cherington is even more inept and risk averse that even I, his most nasty critic, believes.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Fred,

Give the guy some time, it's still very early in the process. I get that Toronto made a big trade and due to that many of us on this site see them now as the better team. Which serves to raise everyones blod pressure. Torri Hunter, while he is a good player, was not an ideal fit with our current needs and certainly not at 13M per. Nor for that matter is Melky...both are solid players, neither are impact bats nor are either of them first baseman.

In the end, on the current market only Hamilton represents and impact bat. Short of that they'll need to engineer a trade for a middle of the order bat to play LF and or a 1B of which there aren't any impact bats on the free agent market. No sense in throwing money around on players that aren't seen as long term impactful guys.

History suggests that the current roster issues with the Sox was due to Epstein's failures to recognize the casue and effect of adding players into the mix choosing Tex over Youk then Gonzalez over Youk...Youk over Beltre. Roster moves from 2009 unitl his departure where he was more concerned about "draft pick hoarding", than on field chemistry or results. Forcing his hand to add players that weren't ideal fits. Signing Lackey (he of the pre-existing elbow condition, acondition that was such that the Angels never offered him an extension. Over Matt Holiday "the big bat to play LF who was an ideal fit to replace the departed Jason Bay or for that matter simply resigning Beltre...Which led to the signing of Crawford, who wasn't inhindsight able to deliver on his career numbers in two injury plagued seasons. More important was the void of on field leadership that was the 2011-2012 seasons.

[/QUOTE]

No use trying to make sense with fred, Bean. Many here have and he wants nothing to do with it.

"put Ells, Pedroia, Bailey, Lester and Ortiz on the block"

So you want to take away 3 core players and a former AS closer at a very low cost Mad? They just signed Papi and are talking extension with pedey. If Lester can pitch even close to his 4 prior years before 2012, they will talk extension with him too.

Bean has a very valid point about chemistry. But in order to have that you have to have a group of core players in place for a number of years. Pedey, Lester and papi are part of that core you build around. Although Papi will be gone in 2015, his veteran presence has already helped WMB and will be needed in a soon to be clubhouse with younger players in the next 2 years.

They have a good chance to compete this year with the right moves. take away these guys and it will be a lot longer before we compete for anything.