Bo Jackson injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Bo Jackson injury

Has anyone else seen the 30 For 30 special on Bo? I watched it today for the first time and had some questions. Supposedly the injury was that he dislocated his hip in such a way that it severed an artery, which led to cartilage death and deterioration in the joint because of loss of blood flow. My problem is, this issue wasn't exposed until spring training in 1991--three months after the injury! They said he tried to gut it out for a while, and went on with his normal routine, or at least tried to. But then in ST that March complained of hip pain, which led to an x-Ray and the subsequent discovery of the serious nature of his injury. My question is, why was an x-Ray not done immediately after the injury? Was that not done in 1991 or what? He actually severed an artery, and was bleeding internally and this was not looked into? I don't get it. His career might have been saved, and we might have gotten to see what Bo could have done. I think that's a real shame, but I'd like to know why he was just let go to his own devices so to speak, and not given immediate medical treatment? I don't get it, and it does make you scratch your head and wonder about some of the lawsuits ex-NFL players are bringing lately involving poor medical treatment, or bad medical advice from team doctors.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Bo Jackson injury

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has anyone else seen the 30 For 30 special on Bo? I watched it today for the first time and had some questions. Supposedly the injury was that he dislocated his hip in such a way that it severed an artery, which led to cartilage death and deterioration in the joint because of loss of blood flow. My problem is, this issue wasn't exposed until spring training in 1991--three months after the injury! They said he tried to gut it out for a while, and went on with his normal routine, or at least tried to. But then in ST that March complained of hip pain, which led to an x-Ray and the subsequent discovery of the serious nature of his injury. My question is, why was an x-Ray not done immediately after the injury? Was that not done in 1991 or what? He actually severed an artery, and was bleeding internally and this was not looked into? I don't get it. His career might have been saved, and we might have gotten to see what Bo could have done. I think that's a real shame, but I'd like to know why he was just let go to his own devices so to speak, and not given immediate medical treatment? I don't get it, and it does make you scratch your head and wonder about some of the lawsuits ex-NFL players are bringing lately involving poor medical treatment, or bad medical advice from team doctors.

[/QUOTE]

I can't answer your question, Exam, but I can say that Bo Jackson is one of the greatest athletes that ever lived using the true definition of the word 'athlete.' I would only put Jim Brown and Jim Thorpe ahead of him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    well, just going from my own experience I can tell you that back in April 2008 I had a total right hip replacement. My surgeon told me that my running/jogging days were over if I wanted the replacement to last me for the rest of my life. He also said no more martial arts training that included round house kicks or side thrust kicks. or any advanced kicking techniques because of the added danger to the replacement. With all that said, Bo Jacksons hip replacement back in 91 if done today would result in the same prognosis from the doctor. As a professional athlete unfortunately he was totally done. and like what bogie said, Bo was one of the greatest athletes to ever take the playing field. what a career he would have had if he hadn't gotten hurt.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't answer your question, Exam, but I can say that Bo Jackson is one of the greatest athletes that ever lived using the true definition of the word 'athlete.' I would only put Jim Brown and Jim Thorpe ahead of him.

[/QUOTE]

Jim Brown? ..........Very good , but greatest athlete ever? Very hard to judge greatest Athlete . You could get argument  from lots of different sports. Jim Thorpe was good pick. But even so the greatest athlete ever would still suck at some other sport ? Would Bo Jackson be a good golfer? or hockey player? We can all play a sport ,just that some in that sport are way better no matter who you are..........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Decathlon guys were all great all-around athletes--discus, javelin, running, jumping, etc--but Thorpe did all that stuff and played sports, especially football.  I saw Bo Jackson play the outfield for the Royals in KC  and can attest the guy had a gun for an arm, plus he could hit and run the bases.  And he was a great running back.  Terrible what happened to him. 

Wasn't Harry Agganis, who played for the Sox, also a pretty good football player? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Bo Jackson never impressed me as a baseball player. He had skills and did some eye popping things on the field but

1)  he was a strike out machine

2)  never came close to hitting 300 and was maybe a 325 OBP guys (that's Crawford-ish)

3)  his best thing was combo of power and speed yet never had a 30 HR / 30 SB year (1 time he hit 30 HRs and never stole 30 in a year)

4)  never even was a big doubles hitter

I think his best year he had over 100 RBI (1x) but struck out over 162 times

He was all about the hype - playing football too, the ASG Blast, and a couple of highlights (mostly of fielding and gunning guys down)

You want better athletes:

Cassius Clay, Jerry Rice, Wayne Gretszky, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan

Bo?  Bo knows HYPE.......and now hip injuries too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Bo Jackson never impressed me as a baseball player. He had skills and did some eye popping things on the field but

2)  never came close to hitting 300 and was maybe a 325 OBP guys (that's Crawford-ish)

3)  his best thing was combo of power and speed yet never had a 30 HR / 30 SB year (1 time he hit 30 HRs and never stole 30 in a year)

He was all about the hype - playing football too, the ASG Blast, and a couple of highlights (mostly of fielding and gunning guys down)

Cassius Clay, Jerry Rice, Wayne Gretszky, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan

Your definition of 'athlete' differs from mine. In my mind to be a great athlete one must  play more than one sport at an extremely high level. Who on your list played more than one sport at a high level? Btw, no one on your list could carry Jim Brown's jock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

One more thing; did you ever see Michael Jordan play baseball. He sucked.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Babe Ruth was a hall of famer as a pitcher AND as a hitter

Willie Mays was the ultimate 5 tool player

Jerry Rice was the most athletic football I ever saw - speed, agility, coordination, hands, did more things than just receive such as blocking and tackling (on TO's), handled pressure

Hockey and basketball players are 10X the athletes baseball players are and Hockey is 2 sports in 1

And Boxers are in better physical shape than all of them

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

[QUOTE]

well, just going from my own experience I can tell you that back in April 2008 I had a total right hip replacement. My surgeon told me that my running/jogging days were over if I wanted the replacement to last me for the rest of my life. He also said no more martial arts training that included round house kicks or side thrust kicks. or any advanced kicking techniques because of the added danger to the replacement. With all that said, Bo Jacksons hip replacement back in 91 if done today would result in the same prognosis from the doctor. As a professional athlete unfortunately he was totally done. and like what bogie said, Bo was one of the greatest athletes to ever take the playing field. what a career he would have had if he hadn't gotten hurt.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hammah, I get that, but that's not my question. His prognosis was so bad and he had to have the hip replaced because they didn't deal with the severed artery immediately! That's my issue here. Once he got to the point of needing a hip replacement the die was cast. But what if they had caught the severed artery that day and re connected it? Now we're talking about a simple dislocation! He had to have it replaced because of cartilage death and deterioration due to lack of blood supply, which would not have been an issue if the artery were repaired that night! So again, why was this not looked at in the hospital and diagnosed that day?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe that Jackson's injury was exactly the same as Napoli's injury-avascular necrosis of the femoral head (=hip). The artery supplying the hip is tiny, and there is only one without the redundancy found in other organs. Jackson lost his by trauma; Napoli lost his by ...who knows why (=idiopathic). There is no Xray that will show injury to blood vessels unless dye is used, and I don't think you can really repair it once its been severed. Once the blood supply is lost the bone becomes brittle over time and is subject to fracture, ruining the hip. I believe that Naps will, unfortunately, end up needing new hips.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe that Jackson's injury was exactly the same as Napoli's injury-avascular necrosis of the femoral head (=hip). The artery supplying the hip is tiny, and there is only one without the redundancy found in other organs. Jackson lost his by trauma; Napoli lost his by ...who knows why (=idiopathic). There is no Xray that will show injury to blood vessels unless dye is used, and I don't think you can really repair it once its been severed. Once the blood supply is lost the bone becomes brittle over time and is subject to fracture, ruining the hip. I believe that Naps will, unfortunately, end up needing new hips.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ok, but according to what I watched, the x-Ray they gave him in 1991 showed bleeding. How is that? Did they use dye then when they did that? And if so, why did they not do it in January as a precaution?I'm not a doctor, you are aren't you pumpsie? Were there mri's in 1991? So you're saying even in today's medicine, an artery like that can't be repaired? Good answer pumps, this came as close to what I was looking for than anything so far. Thx.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your definition of 'athlete' differs from mine. In my mind to be a great athlete one must  play more than one sport at an extremely high level. Who on your list played more than one sport at a high level? Btw, no one on your list could carry Jim Brown's jock.

[/QUOTE]

Name someone on his list would even think of carrying Jim Browns jock?? GROSS !!!  Would you carry it? Then again we don't know you do we ? Wink Wink !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Name someone on his list would even think of carrying Jim Browns jock?? GROSS !!!  Would you carry it? Then again we don't know you do we ? Wink Wink !!!

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure for the right amount of money, you'd wear it over your face.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think it's a little nutty to think the Jim Brown is so much a better athlete than Ruth, Mays, Jordan, Bird, Rice, Clay, and Gretszky that none of the guys from this list would be even fit to carry his jock strap.  Best running back of all time?  OK.  But (1) he only played for 9 years and (2) it's running back, come on.  I have no issue w/ Brown being a part of the discussion but I stand by my list.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I think it's a little nutty to think the Jim Brown is so much a better athlete than Ruth, Mays, Jordan, Bird, Rice, Clay, and Gretszky that none of the guys from this list would be even fit to carry his jock strap.  Best running back of all time?  OK.  But (1) he only played for 9 years and (2) it's running back, come on.  I have no issue w/ Brown being a part of the discussion but I stand by my list.

Besides being the greatest running back in NFL history, he was also highly skilled in boxing, track and field, and la crosse. In fact, Brown was given a lacrosse scholarship at Syracuse, where he also excelled at football and track and field. Brown was so dominant in lacrosse that certain rules were changed because of his skills. Comparing Gretzky, Jordan, Bird, Mays and Clay to Brown is a joke and an embarrassment to the guy.

Your reputation as a knowledgeable sports nut diminishes the more you stand by your list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ok, but according to what I watched, the x-Ray they gave him in 1991 showed bleeding. How is that? Did they use dye then when they did that? And if so, why did they not do it in January as a precaution?I'm not a doctor, you are aren't you pumpsie? Were there mri's in 1991? So you're saying even in today's medicine, an artery like that can't be repaired? Good answer pumps, this came as close to what I was looking for than anything so far. Thx.

[/QUOTE]

I am a pediatrician. I do not know for certain that the artery in the hip cannot be repaired, but I do know that access to it would be really difficult and I know the artery is very small. I am pretty sure that repair is not an option. X-rays do not show blood or any other soft tissue very well; they are used primarily for bone injuries. If there is a huge amount of bleeding the bleeding will displace he soft tissue (which may appear as a gray blob on an X-ray) and the bleeding is deduced from the displacement. That can be done in the brain with a massive bleed there. Of course, if that happens the patient is already telling you there is bleeding there because he is either dead or close to it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Besides being the greatest running back in NFL history, he was also highly skilled in boxing, track and field, and la crosse. In fact, Brown was given a lacrosse scholarship at Syracuse, where he also excelled at football and track and field. Brown was so dominant in lacrosse that certain rules were changed because of his skills. Comparing Gretzky, Jordan, Bird, Mays and Clay to Brown is a joke and an embarrassment to the guy.

Your reputation as a knowledgeable sports nut diminishes the more you stand by your list.

[/QUOTE]

are we talking college here?  College?  College LaCrosse?  Really?  Just to be clear, we are talking about college and non-pro.  is that what we're talking about?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

There are baseball players, basketball players, hockey players, boxers, etc...and then there are athletes.  Athletes is a much more generic and vague term.  An athlete can play baseball or any of the other sports, but a truly great athlete can do almost any sport he or she touches at a high level.  Jordan is a great example.  The best basketball player ever.  But he sucked at baseball.  Given more time he probably would have been adequate.  IMHO, the greatest athletes excelled a many different things.  Decathaletes, multi-sport athletes...these are the best athletes to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Andrewmitch,

I think the point of the thread is to discover great versatile athletes.  You name great athletes with little versatility, at least in terms of being good in more than one sport.

As for Bo Jackson, he is the only player to named to the all-star team in both MLB and the NFL.  ESPN named the greatest athlete ever.  He won the Heisman trophy in football and was a very good running back until the injury.

As for MLB, the amazing thing is he did it at all because he barely played in the minors and jumped right into MLB with the Royals.  Plus he was playing both sports for several years in a row, a fact which you seem to unaware of.  His MLB OPS was .784, which means he was a no-baloney real live, viable MLB player.  His OPS in 1990 was .805 with 32 dingers and 105 rbi's.  In 1991 it was .866 with 28 dingers.  And he had a great arm and could throw guys out from deep in left field because I saw him do it.    As for the stolen bases, one should be amazed he stole any at all because he was 6'1" and 220 pounds, which is great for a running back and not so great for a basestealer.  Ellsbury is 6'1".  How many bases do you think he would steal at 220 lbs? 

You complain Bo struck out too much.  Maybe he did, but hitting a baseball is really, really hard to do at the MLB level.  Again I say, the amazing thing is he averaged 30 dingers/year for two years. 

Bo Jackson did do those commercials, but they weren't hype if you ever watched them.  They were intended to be funny, so they show him doing stuff he didn't actually do--like play tennis-- just to get a chuckle.  And the punch line at the end was always a put down, Bo Diddly would say, "Bo, you don't know diddly." 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

bo did amazing things in both sports

perhaps the most amazing stat IMO

at the time Bo played football part time

only 4 times in NFL history

had a RB scored on a TD run from scrimmage of over 90 yards

Bo was 2 of those 4 times ( we R talking of all time )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Andrewmitch,

I think the point of the thread is to discover great versatile athletes.  You name great athletes with little versatility, at least in terms of being good in more than one sport.

As for Bo Jackson, he is the only player to named to the all-star team in both MLB and the NFL.  ESPN named the greatest athlete ever.  He won the Heisman trophy in football and was a very good running back until the injury.

As for MLB, the amazing thing is he did it at all because he barely played in the minors and jumped right into MLB with the Royals.  Plus he was playing both sports for several years in a row, a fact which you seem to unaware of.  His MLB OPS was .784, which means he was a no-baloney real live, viable MLB player.  His OPS in 1990 was .805 with 32 dingers and 105 rbi's.  In 1991 it was .866 with 28 dingers.  And he had a great arm and could throw guys out from deep in left field because I saw him do it.    As for the stolen bases, one should be amazed he stole any at all because he was 6'1" and 220 pounds, which is great for a running back and not so great for a basestealer.  Ellsbury is 6'1".  How many bases do you think he would steal at 220 lbs? 

You complain Bo struck out too much.  Maybe he did, but hitting a baseball is really, really hard to do at the MLB level.  Again I say, the amazing thing is he averaged 30 dingers/year for two years. 

Bo Jackson did do those commercials, but they weren't hype if you ever watched them.  They were intended to be funny, so they show him doing stuff he didn't actually do--like play tennis-- just to get a chuckle.  And the punch line at the end was always a put down, Bo Diddly would say, "Bo, you don't know diddly." 

[/QUOTE]

I was really enjoying your post until you mentioned OPS.  Then I had to stop reading.  All I will say is look at OBP and SLG% separately and you'll see an OBP hovering around the 300 mark, you will see a ONE 30 HR season and I don't believe he ever broke the 30 Doubles barrier.  OPS is not the Holy Grail.  Be very leary of it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bo knows Hip Replacement...guy was a beast...ball he hit off Rick Reuschel in the All-Star game sounded like a cannon as he hit it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bo knows Hip Replacement...guy was a beast...ball he hit off Rick Reuschel in the All-Star game sounded like a cannon as he hit it.

[/QUOTE]

It was a blast.  But it was 1 hit and Big Daddy got shelled that game.  Heck, even Wade Boggs hit a blast off of Big Daddy that game; the very next at bat even.........That's the thing with Bo - people remember the highlight film, which is not that long by the way in baseball, but over look the fact he struck out more than once per game, really didn't have that much power, wasn't a real base stealer, and was very challenged in his on base skills.  Maybe he was a great athlete but generally speaking you don't have to be even a good athlete to play baseball; baseball requires a very unique set of skills and I recall in High School that the best athletes could not play baseball - we had guys play every sport BUT baseball and then some who ONLY could play baseball.  BO KNOWS STRIKE OUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not too bad an actor either. Good in Dirty Dozen, also appeared in some tv shows--if we're tallying talents....I remember seeing him in Knight Rider. LOL