Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ws2012. Show Ws2012's posts

Re: Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!

Never liked him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaPesky. Show PaPesky's posts

Re: Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!

In Response to Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!:
    [QUOTE]His farewell is here:  http:// bo.st/Pcy9HL
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the post...a great writer and Boston.com blocks the entire article. He was as interesting a man as I thought he was. PaPesky

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Keep on "swingin' for the fences" Bob! He's the ultimate mensch and, dare I say, curmudgeon, which is best best defined here:

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor. . . . . . They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. . . . . . Nature, having failed to equip them with a servicable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.
    Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.
    Perhaps curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message: They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor.

- JON WINOKUR

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Bob Ryan, was/is a good man..... He was good for Boston sports.... Called them as he saw them !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Back in the 1980s - when we relied on newspapers - Boston fans were the luckiest fans in sports.

We had Ryan and Gammons.

Those were great days for quality sports reporting - much better than the ESPN/internet version of sports media that we get now.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

We also had Leigh Montville, one of the all-time greats...thanks, 04idiots, for posting the link to the Ryan farewell column. Ryan is/was one of my favorites and one of my idols. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I liked the passion and the way expressed things in the 10.0 videos.  Gonna miss him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ryan reflected the mood of the fans, I really believed that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!:
    [QUOTE]Never liked him
    Posted by Ws2012[/QUOTE]

The man is retiring. Have some common decency and wish him well or retire to make no comment yourself. Your freinds must love you !! I'm being sarcastic but you probably don't get it. 

Hetchinspete

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

A true icon of the Boston sports scene. A fine gentleman who called it as he saw it with honesty. A man of varied opinions, some of which I agreed and others I've not but I've always respected Ryan for his journalistic integrety. 

Bob, good luck in your retirement, I'll look forward to reading your contributions in the future. 

Hetchinspete

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Ryan was truly a great writer that knew the pulse and dreams of all New England fans as well as fans around the country. When he made his annual trip to ST, he would always wave back to some one who said "hi Bob". He would answer email from fans and never looked down on fans. I speant 17 years in the newspaper bus and met/knew a lot of jerks. Ryan, Gammons, Montville made it eady for all New Englanders to follow their sports. Montville wrote the definitive book on TSW. Good luck, Ryan!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

His legacy is tarnished to some by his less than stellart transition into the modern quick soundbite/talking head sports "journalism" world.  But, back in the day, he was a class A newspaper man/beat writer.  Slainte Bob.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Always liked Bob Ryan's writing. Always liked when he misspelled words to represent how a New Englander would say them, like nevah.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!:
    [QUOTE]His legacy is tarnished to some by his less than stellart transition into the modern quick soundbite/talking head sports "journalism" world.  But, back in the day, he was a class A newspaper man/beat writer.  Slainte Bob.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  He wasn't perfect for TV,maybe, but it earned him a lot more money. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon both wrote for the Washington Post, now neither does.  Simple economics--especially when the internet has made newspapers less and less profitable. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

"assimilate or die"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Bob Ryan says goodbye after 44 years/Red Sox Nation says thank you and good luck Bob!:
    [QUOTE]His farewell is here:  http:// bo.st/Pcy9HL
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Thank God that he is not going away entirely.

Bob Ryan imo in the most gifted sports writer in this country, his articles do what great sports writers attempt to do, take us away from all the worldly problems with insight, talent and humor that very few if any other sports writers possess.. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

One of the best. When he lost his son to suicide several years ago, he said love of his work was the only thing that got him through it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.