Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB

Really? Bullpen?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Carnie,

I guess you didn't get the memo about what a great job little bobby v. has done with the BP this season?

That should turn this team around soon!

Give it time.  Once he gets us to the post season break, things will surely turn around for bobby v.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This BP has been overworked this year for sure. I though he should have challenged the HR and started the inning with Breslow, although he didnt do much better either...Maybe even throw Tazawa one more inning since he was about the only guy to have a clean 1.1 IP...Coulda woulda shoulda I guess...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Our starters have stunk. The bullpen has been heroic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB:
    Our starters have stunk. The bullpen has been heroic.
    Posted by carnie

Very true carnie, but they are tired now..You can see it...Lots of IP from the pen already this year...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Tito was worse. The players need look no further than the mirror."

Hmm didn't know you were a Valentine apologist as well, sorry, I will try to keep up.

Valentine has not distinguished himself in game situations and off the field he's been a train wreck. 

That said I would reluctantly support one more year of him IF the Sox management lets him hire all his own guys and do it his way for a year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

" Tito was worse. The players need look no further than the mirror." Hmm didn't know you were a Valentine apologist as well, sorry, I will try to keep up. Valentine has not distinguished himself in game situations and off the field he's been a train wreck.  That said I would reluctantly support one more year of him IF the Sox management lets him hire all his own guys and do it his way for a year.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I'm with you on this...Id like to see what happens if they just say "Ok Bobby, its all yours."
    That and maybe with a healthy team and a few offseason moves, it might turn out Ok.
    They really want Farrell and will most likely pursue him after 2013, so to look for a 1 yr stop gap manager is ridiculous IMO...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB:
    He's made any number of questionable decisions this season, but having "Ace" come out for the tenth after being shelled and blowing the save in the ninth inning Thursday has to be near the top of the list. I know this abysmal season isn't all on Valentine, but he sure doesn't seem to do much to help the Red Sox win.
    Posted by davetheknave

I'll agree w/ this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

He's made any number of questionable decisions this season, but having "Ace" come out for the tenth after being shelled and blowing the save in the ninth inning Thursday has to be near the top of the list. I know this abysmal season isn't all on Valentine, but he sure doesn't seem to do much to help the Red Sox win.
    Posted by davetheknave

ANYONE HEAR "TITO, TITO, TITO, TITO TITO?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : ANYONE HEAR "TITO, TITO, TITO, TITO TITO?"
    Posted by SinceYaz
    As much as I liked Terry, and you know I really liked Terry. Bobby Valentine had a winning record when he came to Boston. We have to pay him for next year anyway, and we can't get the guy we really want until next year. Bobby Valentine isn't the problem with this team. Our starting pitchers have to prove they have hearts.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by davetheknave

The Sox lost 14-13 in extra innings, from where I sit, it looks like both managers struggled to make the right in game decisions. Or perhaps it was one of those nights when "the park factor" reared it's ugly head.

Lets see Morales staked to a 6-0 lead couldn't get through the inning, left with the bases loaded up 6-3 with 2 outs, was repalced by Mortensen who then coughed up the lead and when all was said the Angels posted a snowman and took an early lead 8-6...A lead that CJ Wilson, he of the 90M contract couldn't hold for the Angels. Then from that point forward a mens slow pitch softball game broke out and we want to afix blame on Valentine for using his closer to keep the game in check? A move that every manager in the game would make to give his team the best chance to hold the other team in check and give his team a chance to win it in the next at bat.

Count me among those that question Bobby Valentine's ability to be the leader of this club moving forward. For myriad of reasons, under performing players, injuries and clubhouse drama from the top down all have played a role in the demise of this team...I don't question his ability to manage nor his in game decisions. The guys forgotten more about the game, than any of us have learned. Unfortunately for Bobby, he was given lemons, but lost the recipe to make lemonaide...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bobby V can be faulted for two or three things last night.
    1. Someone must have seen the replay of the HR in the clubhouse and it should have been challenged. The game outcome may not have been different?

2. Sending Aceves out to turn Morales around and hit to the big part of the field--questionable.

The Angels Mgr essentially did the same thing--Closer blew the save--he sent him back out there.

The difference maker--Trout--always seems to be coming to the plate. This guy is amazing--he is a truly talented kid that comes along once in a Blue Moon. Put him on any team and he will change the franchise. He's fearless, he's talented, he's disruptive, he  get's a great jump on every ball hit from LCF to RCF, he can steal you blind and he knows his ability.

He was the difference in last nights game and truly he did so many things in the three games---he used all the tools-does he deserve Rook of the Year and MVP--difficult to say--I think he should be considered for both. He's impressive and only 21. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : ANYONE HEAR "TITO, TITO, TITO, TITO TITO?"
    Posted by SinceYaz

NO !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

IMO, Bobby V. Has forgotten more about managing than Francona ever knew. Having said that I questioned his 3rd inning strategy last night. He thought Morales was still pitching good enough to pitch to Aybar with the bases loaded. Morales got Aybar to hit an inning ending ground out to 3rd. An error was made and for that, Bobby decided to remove Morales? If a reliever had just came in and induced a gound out to end the inning, he would have done a good job. That's what Morales did, he induced a groud ball out. He didn't boot it, he did his job.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

All I will say is that last night's loss certainly wasn't Valentine's fault. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The error by Ross in the 9th was the difference maker. Huge mistake!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

14 runs by the Angels, and it's Bobby V's fault??  Well, possibly.  He did have the temerity to send out his closer in the 9th with a 2 run lead.  I mean, what was he thinking? 

Face it--this one was all on the pitching staff. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

If Valentine had questioned the Wells home run it would have been ruled a double and a run would have been prevented. We would have won the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

the only trade cherington made was for breslow , and that's been one huge mistake. Oh, wait a minute he did trade for podsednik ,good move. What was wrong with Alberts I thought he was doing ok. From his first trades, Baily , mortenson, Melancon, Sweeney, to not allowing manager to use players he wanted: Bard in bullpen , iglesias , and others I can't think of right now he has been the major cause of problems this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

In response to "Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB":
    the only trade cherington made was for breslow , and that's been one huge mistake. Oh, wait a minute he did trade for podsednik ,good move. What was wrong with Alberts I thought he was doing ok. From his first trades, Baily , mortenson, Melancon, Sweeney, to not allowing manager to use players he wanted: Bard in bullpen , iglesias , and others I can't think of right now he has been the major cause of problems this year. Posted by candre99
    I just remembered another one, not releasing all of last years coaching staff. Nough said

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The worst in-game manager in MLB had before 2012 15 years, 10 of them winning seasons, as a MLB manager in both the AL and NL.  Calling him the worst in-game manager in MLB is simply not credible. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The error by Ross in the 9th was the difference maker. Huge mistake!
    Posted by Alibiike

No, the difference maker was by pitchers who couldn't get anyone out. 14 runs and 20 hits, 211 pitches thrown.  You can give the silver medal to the batters with one walk and 12K's. Where's the patience that has been preached for so long. It's gone. There are no patient hitters left.

Sections
Shortcuts