Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB

DIRT, my point wasn't that you keep Tito, my point is that even at his worst, it was still that close to the playoffs. BV is mathematically eliminated and it's not even September.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB:
    [QUOTE]DIRT, my point wasn't that you keep Tito, my point is that even at his worst, it was still that close to the playoffs. BV is mathematically eliminated and it's not even September.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I get ya danny.  Just wanted to get my thinking on the record for the others still defending little bobby v for whatever reason???  There is a "hidden," or not hidden agenda there?  I just don't know what it is???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Cna't wait for the guy to leave. In fact I hope he doesn't show up for work today. What Red Sox manager? This Red Sox team isn't being managed at all. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I'm not as familiar with these guys as you clearly are.  I don't know where they stood on Tito or anything else.

No biggie !

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I have no problem admitting my biases!  NONE!  We all have bias. 

I didn't like little bobby v before the season.  I can't stand him now!!!

I didn't like Lackey before he came to Boston!  I hate him now!!!!
    I didn't like Dice-K before they moved heaven and earth to get him.  He's proven himself to be a liar (WBC injury), and a nancy Drew!
    I hated Beckett's face, but loved him as our guy.  Can't stand him now.
    I was excited to get Crawford, & didn't care what the owners decided to pay him.  I didn't think it would effect what they were willing to spend in the future, so I could have cared less.  I was wrong!
    I loved it when I heard we were getting A-Gon!
    I called for Pedey to get sent back to the minors his first month+ with the team.  I could not have been more wrong.

Why are guys like Softy, & others, so loath to admit being wrong?  Why not just admit your bias?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

BOBBY MUST GO TODAY!  All arguments to the contrary are simply ridiculous!  It means you're not as smart as me!

:)

kidding....   :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem admitting my biases!  NONE!  We all have bias.  I didn't like little bobby v before the season.  I can't stand him now!!! I didn't like Lackey before he came to Boston!  I hate him now!!!! I didn't like Dice-K before they moved heaven and earth to get him.  He's proven himself to be a liar (WBC injury), and a nancy Drew! I hated Beckett's face, but loved him as our guy.  Can't stand him now. I was excited to get Crawford, & didn't care what the owners decided to pay him.  I didn't think it would effect what they were willing to spend in the future, so I could have cared less.  I was wrong! I loved it when I heard we were getting A-Gon! I called for Pedey to get sent back to the minors his first month+ with the team.  I could not have been more wrong. Why are guys like Softy, & others, so loath to admit being wrong?  Why not just admit your bias?
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I thought Parcells should've been fired just before he won 2 SB's.

I thought Kelly should've been fired before he won 2 WS.

I thought hiring Tito was a placeholder for someone good, until he won 2 WS.

I thought BV would be a weak field manager and a bad clubhouse manager.  He was far worse.

I'm more than willing to admit my four mistakes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seems like we have a lot of pedroia type babies still whining about daddy tito being canned for 5 straight years of declining sox ball...tito NEVER won anything before he was gifted a team one boneheaded move away from a title and then ran it into the ground...and no one in MLB will hire him....BV on the other hand has coached longer, with less talent, and been good everywhere he has been....except for this miserable crew....this team needed to be blown up last yr...and if that includes ben and Bv, than so be it....but to say this team is underperforming because of the manager is pretty funny...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Question to the defenders of little bobby v. Has little bobby done a "GOOD" job as manager of the Red Sox?  Are there areas where he has done a poor job?  Should he be our manager next year?

Easily answered.  His good things are the lineups and the handling of the bullpen, which this year is missing Pap and Bard and, until recently, Bailey.  He's been more aggressive than Francona was in taking pitchers out, also in using lefties against righty batters, etc.  His lineups have done a good job of mitigating the chaos of every position except C, 1B, and SS being on the DL for longish periods of time.  He made a good call on saying Miller should always pitch from the stretch, not facing the batter.  He had to pick a closer and Aceves was a decent choice given what he had.  He got AGon to play RF 18 times--mixed results, but it did get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup.  He played Ciriaco a lot and in different parts of the lineup, to good effect. He used Posednick well, but might have been the reason why Posednick left earlier in the season. During the offseason he went to the homes of most or all of the regulars to get to know them. 

His mistakes include underestimating how anything said to the Boston press is dangerous--the polar opposite of Francona's approach which was always to defend the players and say as little as possible.  His willingness to talk,probably too much, is no doubt a function of his personality reinforced by several years as an analyst, for which he was paid to say provocative things. 

He almost certainly should have insisted on his own coaches, especially pitching.  He should have insisted on keeping Bard in the bullpen.  Maybe he should have started Shoppach more.    He should have sent Middlebrooks back to AAA--this is all hindsight-- and kept Youk at 3B, but I'm thinking that was a FO decision. 

At the end of the day, he expects to be evaluated on the team's performance and has said so several times.  If he is fired, he is very unlikely to complain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : Easily answered.  His good things are the lineups and the handling of the bullpen, which this year is missing Pap and Bard and, until recently, Bailey.  He's been more aggressive than Francona was in taking pitchers out, also in using lefties against righty batters, etc.  His lineups have done a good job of mitigating the chaos of every position except C, 1B, and SS being on the DL for longish periods of time.  He made a good call on saying Miller should always pitch from the stretch, not facing the batter.  He had to pick a closer and Aceves was a decent choice given what he had.  He got AGon to play RF 18 times--mixed results, but it did get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup.  He played Ciriaco a lot and in different parts of the lineup, to good effect. He used Posednick well, but might have been the reason why Posednick left earlier in the season. During the offseason he went to the homes of most or all of the regulars to get to know them.  His mistakes include underestimating how anything said to the Boston press is dangerous--the polar opposite of Francona's approach which was always to defend the players and say as little as possible.  His willingness to talk,probably too much, is no doubt a function of his personality reinforced by several years as an analyst, for which he was paid to say provocative things.  He almost certainly should have insisted on his own coaches, especially pitching.  He should have insisted on keeping Bard in the bullpen.  Maybe he should have started Shoppach more.    He should have sent Middlebrooks back to AAA--this is all hindsight-- and kept Youk at 3B, but I'm thinking that was a FO decision.  At the end of the day, he expects to be evaluated on the team's performance and has said so several times.  If he is fired, he is very unlikely to complain.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

please dont confuse the whiners with facts...they want their daddy back...even though no one else in MLB wants him to manage...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]seems like we have a lot of pedroia type babies still whining about daddy tito being canned for 5 straight years of declining sox ball...tito NEVER won anything before he was gifted a team one boneheaded move away from a title and then ran it into the ground...and no one in MLB will hire him....BV on the other hand has coached longer, with less talent, and been good everywhere he has been....except for this miserable crew....this team needed to be blown up last yr...and if that includes ben and Bv, than so be it....but to say this team is underperforming because of the manager is pretty funny...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Perhaps some are saying that?  NOT ME!  The team would be underperforming no matter what!  Bobby V. has still been a clown, & failed at HIS JOB!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : Easily answered.  His good things are the lineups and the handling of the bullpen, which this year is missing Pap and Bard and, until recently, Bailey.  He's been more aggressive than Francona was in taking pitchers out, also in using lefties against righty batters, etc.  His lineups have done a good job of mitigating the chaos of every position except C, 1B, and SS being on the DL for longish periods of time.  He made a good call on saying Miller should always pitch from the stretch, not facing the batter.  He had to pick a closer and Aceves was a decent choice given what he had.  He got AGon to play RF 18 times--mixed results, but it did get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup.  He played Ciriaco a lot and in different parts of the lineup, to good effect. He used Posednick well, but might have been the reason why Posednick left earlier in the season. During the offseason he went to the homes of most or all of the regulars to get to know them.  His mistakes include underestimating how anything said to the Boston press is dangerous--the polar opposite of Francona's approach which was always to defend the players and say as little as possible.  His willingness to talk,probably too much, is no doubt a function of his personality reinforced by several years as an analyst, for which he was paid to say provocative things.  He almost certainly should have insisted on his own coaches, especially pitching.  He should have insisted on keeping Bard in the bullpen.  Maybe he should have started Shoppach more.    He should have sent Middlebrooks back to AAA--this is all hindsight-- and kept Youk at 3B, but I'm thinking that was a FO decision.  At the end of the day, he expects to be evaluated on the team's performance and has said so several times.  If he is fired, he is very unlikely to complain.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Actually, I agree with almost 100% of what you just said.

I do think several people keep ignoring the big issues with bobby v.

*  HE keeps bring up dead & buried issues.  HE has brought to light many things that NOBODY ever would have heard about, thus causing a few firestorms, & derailing at least 2 runs the team was on.  HE has been the "leaker in chief."

*  HE had been a major contributor to the lack of communication between players, coaches, & himself!

*  HE caused the Youk situation to become completely untenable.

*  HE caused the players to come to Youks defense!  Granted, they should have done so privately with bobby v., and bobby v. should have apologized to Youk.

*  HE is really good at "looking" foolish.

*  HE seems to be out of it often times!

*  HE never got the respect of the players, coaches, GM, or ownership.....  Until 2 weeks ago.  Too little too late!

*  HE did not even know what pitcher he was facing when making the line-up on several / a number of occasions.

*  HE still can't get his team on board for anything!  Not even to impress upon the guys the importance of being at Pesky's service.

*  HE is clearly a lame duck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In the ninth inning, there is absolutely no difference between a one run lead with the bases empty , and a two run lead with a runner on second. There is no scenario in which the Angels can tie the game without the runner on second scoring anyway. I'll bet you a dollar there is a scenario. <waiting for you to accept /> Suppose he walks the next guy.  Now the guy after him hits a slow roller down the line.  Now, instead of it being bases loaded, the 3B has a chance to beat the guy to 3rd.  Or if it is hit just a bit harder, he has a chance to step on 3rd and complete the throw to 1st. I'm not saying these are game-changing advantages, but BB is a game made up of half-percentage point advantages. There is always an advantage to having a guy on 2nd instead of in the dugout.  That guy is always a potential out.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Joe , You have a point. Baseball is a complex game. Many odd things can happen. Here is another, the baserunner could be struck by a batted ball , resulting in an out. But it could work in reverse also. The runner could shield the shortstop on a batted ball , resulting in a hit , instead of an out. The outfielder could miss the cutoff man or otherwise make an error, allowing the tying run into scoring position. There are a number of other implausible things that could happen , both pro and con.  So , you cannot say that it is always an advantage to have the runner at second instead of in the dugout , either. Sometimes it could be a detriment. The thing is , none of those things happened last night , nor are they ever likely to happen.  Like I said , there are many things to complain about , but the home run call was not a factor in the result last night. Challenging it would have made no difference , no matter what the ruling turned out to be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : please dont confuse the whiners with facts...they want their daddy back...even though no one else in MLB wants him to manage...

I don't!  Tito had to go.  Answer the direct questions about bobby v as to whether he's done a "GOOD" job, & whether he should be manager next season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : Ah, Bosox, as i expected, after a year of Bobby V., we now see your true colors.  Your ridiculous blanket hatred, unspecific criticism, and complete dismissal of Tito wasn't personal.  As it it turns out, you are going arm-chair destroy any manager who comes down the pike.  i know your type well.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You're wrong, I have the utmost respect for Bobby V. He's forgotten more about managing a baseball team than Francona ever knew. I personally hope he's the manager for this team for at least 5 years or until he feels to old to do it anymore. I never dismissed Tito, but I will admit to calling his son, Terry, a managerial moron, buffoon and a horrible manager.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

francona is on the top of the trash heap of managers....almost impossible to do when you have won two titles - but he has managed to do just that...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : Perhaps some are saying that?  NOT ME!  The team would be underperforming no matter what!  Bobby V. has still been a clown, & failed at HIS JOB!

That's Georom being Georom,  The thread was about BV being the worst manager in BB.  Rather than addressing that, he is pretending the thread is about tito.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The thing is , none of those things happened last night , nor are they ever likely to happen. 

It's not unresonable to think that a possible force could happen once in 20 games.  If there was any disadvantage to not having the guy on base, they'd simply balk him him every time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : please dont confuse the whiners with facts...they want their daddy back...even though no one else in MLB wants him to manage...

Thread is about Valentine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]francona is on the top of the trash heap of managers....almost impossible to do when you have won two titles - but he has managed to do just that...

The thread is about Valentine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bob Valentine - the worst in-game manager in MLB : The thread is about Valentine.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

joey, sorry if you missed my remark earlier....i dont think you keep a manager who is way under .500 (regardless of who he is) .....i would like to see a complete overhaul of this team (like i told it was needed LAST YR)...in a perfect world BV would actually get to pick his own coaches (amazing i know - what a concept) and actually get to choose who stays on his roster, when they play, and when they ride the bench).....but -

that is not going to happen - Ben the bungler will fire BV despite undermining him from Day 1, hire someone who is Pedroia approved, pay Papi 20 mil a yr, and LL/JH will say the right things to get the bootlickers excited about 2013.....and then they will stink....

Who needs to go?? An easier question is who is worth keeping? Chorttling over Bobby Valentine? Pretty low....the guy deserves apologies, not a pink slip for coaching this rotten group of selfish pigs....

Good to see you siding with the pigs - I mean, who the heck is Johnny Pesky to these players anyways?