Bobby: Bench Kalish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Bobby: Bench Kalish

In Response to Re: Bobby: Bench Kalish:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby: Bench Kalish : The "Real Reddick" is probably neither the 670 July/August, nor the .950 May/June. He'l probably gind himself omewhere in the middle, hovering around .780-.820.  Those numbers are unspectacular, but certainly respectable...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    I was going to make the same guess -- or close. But I'm a chicken when it comes to projections. Many that I see are just too far off the mark, including those made by metrics aces. But I think that yours is reasonable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

An interesting Reddick look...

OPS by month:
              Apr   May    June    July   Aug   Sep
    2011  - -   1.212  1.192  .817  .603  .713
    2012 .778   .974    .815  .840  .789   - -

Almost complete month to month declines over the past 2 years. 

1st half vs 2nd half:

2011:    1.101 > .682
    2012:     .880 > .750
    Career:  .889 > .669

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]                         Joebreidy.........On your assessment of Reddick, did you get into Snake's Stash before you wrote it?
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]

Just telling it like it is.

People in here hated Reddck.

Hated him.

In his first two season here, his line was .182/.208/.331/.539.  He had a 32/3 K/W.  I like him more than about 98% of you, and even I thought he was only going to be a platoon player.

You guys hated him and now none of you want to own up to it.  Now all of the sudden, I find out everyone was a closet Reddck fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I never hated him, but admit I thought he'd never be better than a platoon player in an of stacked with lefties. I thought he was our best fielding RF'er and had a good arm, but was happy we got Bailey and Sweeney for him.

I'm still not sure the deal will turn out as bad as many feel it will. We did OK in RF this year with Sweeney primarily vs RHPs and Ross vs LHPs and RHPs as well. Bailey has yet to prove his worth, but so far, the deal has been clearly in Oakland's favor.

I will say, I never liked Kalish more than Reddick as most posters here did last year and this past winter looking to our future of RF.

I was wrong about Reddick and have no problem admitting my mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Like most of the Sox moves by Ben, weeks to months too late. It's like we say something on the chatboard about Podsednik and his 9 multiple hit games and his .387 BAVG and then one month after we really needed him, he's back. Mortenson, same thing. Same thing with Morales in the rotation. Ben should be fired before BV, there I said it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Like most of the Sox moves by Ben, weeks to months too late. It's like we say something on the chatboard about Podsednik and his 9 multiple hit games and his .387 BAVG and then one month after we really needed him, he's back. Mortenson, same thing. Same thing with Morales in the rotation. Ben should be fired before BV, there I said it.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Were you stamping a foot? Add Ben's failure to shore up the rotation before the season. Don't ask me how, but it was obviously needed. Moon had some ideas. So Bard wanted to start. BV wanted him in the pen. Now Bard may be useless in either role, as I believe Moon fretted about.
    Ben gave BV no support during the "stuff" with players -- to say the least -- and left his manager to twist in the wind. Makes no difference who was at fault. Makes no difference that Ben didn't want BV. Ben didn't have to come down on the players -- just say something as simple as "Bobby's in charge."
    The Big Brass may well be forced to make a choice between Ben and BV.
    Are you going to give Lucchino a ring?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

The worst kerfuffle, IMO, occurred when someone complained about the manager and apparently received a sympathetic hearing upstairs. BV said he should have kept his mouth shut about it. But there should have been nothing to keep his mouth shut about. He and the rookie third baseman had handled the situation quite nicely between themselves. The kid has been brought along very well by the manager, who -- I repeat -- should be allowed to manage these things as he sees fit. If the brass doesn't like it, fire the man later. Or on the spot. 
    That's how baseball has operated and should operate. Otherwise the field manager is turned into a sitting duck. Maybe that's what someone upstairs has wanted all along. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As I recall Kalish looked pretty darn impressive in 2010 when he came in towards the end of the season.  He was getting better from August to September.  In September 2010 his OPS was .808. in 90 PAs. 

The guy's been on the injury shelf for 1.5 seasons as was said repeatedly on this thread.

He will be fine.  If Ells and/or Ross aren't here in 2013, he will be starting in either CF or RF. 

He "will be fine" based on a somewhat decent 90 PA sample size? I'm not writing off Kailsh by any means, but he still has a lot to prove before I start annointing him my starting OF'er, unless we have packed in 2013 and are shooting for 2014.

Being on the "injury shelf" does not help his case. If anything, it hurts it. His minor league numbers are not overly impressive. Yes, he plays hard and is a very good fielder, but I seriously doubt he can come close to leading us anywhere. He may be a decent 4th OF'er/late inning defensive guy, he may turn out to be the next Reddick, but just because guys like Josh and Will have done well, doesn't mean all our prospects will do the same. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby: Bench Kalish : Were you stamping a foot? Add Ben's failure to shore up the rotation before the season. Don't ask me how, but it was obviously needed. Moon had some ideas. So Bard wanted to start. BV wanted him in the pen. Now Bard may be useless in either role, as I believe Moon fretted about. Ben gave BV no support during the "stuff" with players -- to say the least -- and left his manager to twist in the wind. Makes no difference who was at fault. Makes no difference that Ben didn't want BV. Ben didn't have to come down on the players -- just say something as simple as "Bobby's in charge." The Big Brass may well be forced to make a choice between Ben and BV. Are you going to give Lucchino a ring?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

No question that the disconnect between Ben and BV is a wide divide compared to Tito-Theo, two guys tied at the hip. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's bigger than any disconnect between BV and Youk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]It's bigger than any disconnect between BV and Youk.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Cherrington traded Youk. What role BV had in that, if any, cannot be definitely known at this point. He played the kid when Youk was hurt. He scrambled the lineup to give Youk PT. He preferred the kid. 
    My guess ( just that ) is that the big disconnect is between BV and Cherrington. No telling where that is headed, but if I had to choose....

Sections
Shortcuts