Bobby V. and his continued undermining of the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bobby V. and his continued undermining of the Sox

Bobby V. claims that Ortiz took himself out of the line-up after the Sox made the trade and gave up on the season. 

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8544175/bobby-valentine-former-boston-red-sox-manager-said-david-ortiz-sidelined-himself

I said last year that Bobby V. was bad for Boston. Good that you cut your losses.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Bobby V. and his continued undermining of the Sox

I'd give .35c and a pair of Izod socks to see Valentine say that to Papi's face. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

For the doubters.... MANY on this board.  That's little bobby v. being little bobby v.   He consistently threw guys under the bus!  Always saying the exact wrong thing, many times just when the Sox started a minor run.  The guy has absolutely ZERO DISCRETION!  NONE!

I can't imagine why the guys never really got beind his "leadership?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Did I say "doubters?"

I meant defenders!    Apologists!  little boys willing to make excuse after excuse for a guy who was manifestly one of the biggest mistakes in Red Sox Managerial HISTORY!

Big boys know full well that Papi did this with the explicit backing from TOP management and ownership.  Could he have played?  Would he have played if we had a shot in hell?  Of course!~  For this pathetic little magot to climb out from under the rock we threw him back under, simply to throw some mud at a guy who mistakenly tried to have his back toward the end of the season, is beyond disgraceful. 

To all the little boys who don't get this joint decision???  Well....  You will expose your over-sized jock straps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Jess,

That was as bad as it gets in baseball...I don't think anyone realized just how out of touch Valentine was, going in.  The Sox sacrificed an entire season, but I think the players will be rejuvenated, focused and ready to start enjoying the game again.  This may have been a blessing in disguise...for Sox fans ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't doubt for a minute Ortiz threw in the towel as he was looking out for his best interest. Simple. Why paly and risk injuring yourself for the sake of a sub .500 team that was paying you millions to do just that - play.

Even the biggest Ortiz fan would have to admit he would not have sat out if the season was on the line, the ship had already sank. Also just like when Manny was traded once they traded AGon Ortiz was left naked int he line-up and he cannot handle that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Cherington's response to ESPN Boston about BV comment; He wouldnt be trying to bring him back and wasn't concerned about Ortiz' commitment to baseball and the Red Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yeah, but he cut beer off from the clubhouse.

Isn't that all that counts?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, but he cut beer off from the clubhouse.

Isn't that all that counts?

[/QUOTE]

LOL, Joe. Only at home. They were able to throw back a few at visiting parks. He's probably sorry he did, tho. I'm sure there were more than a few nights he could have used a beer, himself. 

Just showed the clip on Boston sports.net. Reminds me how glad I am he's gone

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

You guys would think the "beer" was his idea. That came from the top, from the same top that treats the players and fans like 2 year olds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Let's see,so far Valentine said the coaches were against him and were undermining his authority and that Ortiz quit on the team.What's next,his becoming obsessed with finding out who took the quart of strawberries?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

I haven't seen/heard the interview, but apparently Valentine says in it that the story he told on the radio about how he told Middlebrooks, "Nice inning, Will" never happened.

This would be in line with what Middlebrooks said during the year when the "story" came out in that he said he had no recollection of it ever happening.  (Middelbrooks reconfirmed on Twitter tonight that it never happened.)

What the heck?  If it never happened then why did Valentine ever say it, other than the obvious fact that he's a narcissistic sociopath.  (In line with him completely making up stories to the press about how he'd talked to players like Youk or Bard about something, and it turned out he never did--just completely made it up.)

Getting back to the MIddlebrooks story, if indeed he just made it up out of thin air, do we realize the insanity of that?  Can we appreciate the import of that?  Out of that story came much of the fan outrage towards the club, because Valentine embelished the fiction by saying that someone else snuck up the "back stairs" to the Red Sox management to complain about how Valentine was picking on the players.  This set off renewed fan outrage over what spoiled "primadonnas" the players were and how the players and coaches were stabbing Valentine in the back, Middlebrooks was a pansy who should just take his medicine like a man, etc.  "And I'll bet Pedroia was the stool pidgeon too!  He's always going behind Valentine's back!"

I know it left a sour taste in our mouths the idea that management made Tito look bad on his way out of town.  But in this case, I hope they apply the scorched earth policy to Valentine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]I don't doubt for a minute Ortiz threw in the towel as he was looking out for his best interest. Simple. Why paly and risk injuring yourself for the sake of a sub .500 team that was paying you millions to do just that - play.

Even the biggest Ortiz fan would have to admit he would not have sat out if the season was on the line, the ship had already sank. Also just like when Manny was traded once they traded AGon Ortiz was left naked int he line-up and he cannot handle that.[/QUOTE]

This is idiotic.  NO sane player would play through a potential career ending injury unless the entire season was on the line.  You make it sound like Ortiz's behavior is selfish or unreasonable.  Do you honestly think Schiling would have been out on the mound with a jerry-rigged tendon surgery if the season weren't on the line.  I suspect if the Sox had no shot at the playoffs in 2004, and Schilling had taken his last couple starts off to have proper ankle surgery, you'd call him out for not going out on the mound with blood seeping through his sock to finish the season.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to DayToDay's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]I don't doubt for a minute Ortiz threw in the towel as he was looking out for his best interest. Simple. Why paly and risk injuring yourself for the sake of a sub .500 team that was paying you millions to do just that - play.

Even the biggest Ortiz fan would have to admit he would not have sat out if the season was on the line, the ship had already sank. Also just like when Manny was traded once they traded AGon Ortiz was left naked int he line-up and he cannot handle that.[/QUOTE]

Was he paid $13 million to play in 2012? Or not? Do tell 

This is idiotic.  NO sane player would play through a potential career ending injury unless the entire season was on the line.  You make it sound like Ortiz's behavior is selfish or unreasonable.  Do you honestly think Schiling would have been out on the mound with a jerry-rigged tendon surgery if the season weren't on the line.  I suspect if the Sox had no shot at the playoffs in 2004, and Schilling had taken his last couple starts off to have proper ankle surgery, you'd call him out for not going out on the mound with blood seeping through his sock to finish the season.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

It's completely ignorant people like you that keep Dennis and Callahan so popular.  Players are paid money to play when they are healthy.  When they are injured, they go on the DL.  What is so hard to understand here?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

thanks for the "ignorant" comment. I pesonally never use the word.  "Ignorant" has basically the same fire tone as "racist". 

I would assume you are incapable of understanding anything short of your own opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

"Ignorant" isn't the same as "racist."  While you've shown no signs of the latter, you're oozing the former from your pores.

There is a certain segment of the fanbase--me among them--who is kind of sick of the "fans" screaming about "primadonnas" regarding the Sox players at every opportunity.  And here you are blaming Ortiz for not risking rupturing his Achilles.  It doesn't matter if the season was lost (which it was) or if the Sox were in a good position--no player would be encouraged to play through a potentially career-ending injury like that.

At this late date, if you're going to play the "morally outraged fan card," you'd better have a good reason.  This isn't it.  The fact that you think Ortiz should have been playing with an injury and chastising him for not doing so is a demonstration of ignorance.  That's why I used that word.  If you don't like it, you shouldn't take such ludicrous stances.  What you typed is right up there with, "Lester gave up that homer on purpose because he's mad at Valentine!"  Or, "Ortiz is faking his injurty!"--both of which were real life beliefs of a large segment of the "fan" base throughout the year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am not screaming about anything. He shut it down longer than necessary because their was no reason to play for a loser team and jepordize 2013. What is so wrong about making that obvious observation?

However he was paid a lot of money to play.. so don't get so high and mighty on my making a point to say so. If he chose to look out for himself for 2013 (he is not under contract with the team for 2013) then perhaps he should have forfeited his earnings for that time. Not going to happen of course but....

"ludicrous" ?  okay harness

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes it is. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We all have a little hypocrisy in us.  We can castigate some people for being less than forthcoming in their public statements  , but condemn others for truthfully stating their opinions. You want to have it both ways. By no means do I agree with Valentine throwing Ortiz under the bus , but let's try to be consistent in our criticism. Do you prefer coyness or outspokenness ? Or does it all depend on whose Ox is being gored ?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

BV should have proved by now to everyone still making excuses for him that he is a complete dolt.

Sections
Shortcuts