1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship."

My take on this is that he's saying that if the Sox keep getting unexpected contributions from guys like Podsednik, Nava, etc, then they're "going to win the championship".  I like his enthusiasm here, but I think he needs to stop running his mouth like this.  Problem is, Bobby is incapable of filtering what he says.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship."

Hehe. This wisdom rivals the time you noted that "Bumbles bounce!". Spot on my friend.

In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship.":
    [QUOTE]My take on this is that he's saying that if the Sox keep getting unexpected contributions from guys like Podsednik, Nava, etc, then they're "going to win the championship".  I like his enthusiasm here, but I think he needs to stop running his mouth like this.  Problem is, Bobby is incapable of filtering what he says.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He has bigger task coming soon when Ells, CC, Kalish, Ross, and Sweeney return from the injury.. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship.":
    [QUOTE]My take on this is that he's saying that if the Sox keep getting unexpected contributions from guys like Podsednik, Nava, etc, then they're "going to win the championship".  I like his enthusiasm here, but I think he needs to stop running his mouth like this.  Problem is, Bobby is incapable of filtering what he says.

Yukon, this has always been the biggest criticism of Bobby V by the media, by fans, by GMs, etc. He's a solid baseball mind with a mouth that has the worst timing ever when it comes to the type of comments he chooses to spit out. The more adversity the team has, the harder for him to not criticize publicly. However, most Sox fans want that in contrast to Tito's policy of never doing that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Part of a managers job is to motivate players.  Of course he says things like this.  Were you expecting him to say "This team doesn't have what it takes.  We don't have a chance to win.  I wish Showalter would choke on a sammy so i could maybe get his job."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

snake, I know I should know who that ballplayer is in the photo, but who is that? Is that a former NY Knick? Sorry, my NBA following stopped at Bird/Magic years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship." : Yukon, this has always been the biggest criticism of Bobby V by the media, by fans, by GMs, etc. He's a solid baseball mind with a mouth that has the worst timing ever when it comes to the type of comments he chooses to spit out. The more adversity the team has, the harder for him to not criticize publicly. However, most Sox fans want that in contrast to Tito's policy of never doing that.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure Danny.  Bobby V. post-Japan is a little different than Bobby V. pre-Japan.  Yes, he still has a propensity for inserting foot-in-mouth, and, yes, he is, even on his most play-my-cards-colse day lights years from Tito.  But, I am not sure he is the same guy who would hang his players out to dry on a whim.  He had that strange public comment about Youk early on, the inner psychological workings of that comment still much-debated.  But, through this whole tumultuous start, he has been steady and reserved in his statements and demeanor.  He has shot straight and been thoughtful in his praise and criticism.  And this soundbite about winning the championship, sure, a bit over the top.  But, this club just came through a gauntlet strong, and is getting its mojo working.  A little well-timed public chuck on the arm like that can help build the confidence.  I think, outside of that Youk comment, Bobby has been the antithesis of the live-wire dirty-laundry Bobby that everyone is still painting him to be.  Will this last?  I cannot say.  But, I am beginning to suspect it will, as I get to know Bobby-san a little better.  I dare say, i am beginning to trust him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think I'd wait until my team was out of last place before I started forecasting a championship.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yep,  Bobby V is right ... if the Sox keep playing .769 ball the rest of the way, they'll win the championship.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Crazy genius????   OR just flat CRAZY!

People say this guy has a great baseball mind?  Come on now!

Look.....   I will grant you this.  He is a little bit better about giving the pitching staff a short leash, when you compare him to Tito.  He is proving to be a bit more activist a COACH / game manager than Tito.  AND I LOVE Tito!  BUT, most of us KNOW Tito had to go, because he let the inmates run the asylum.  The inmates are still running the asylum, but they are at least playing very good ball the bast 2 weeks.   BUT.....  2 weeks does not a season make!

As my dad has always said...... "'Bobby, It's better to say very little & have people think your a fool, than to say a lot & let everyone know YOU ARE A FOOL!"

Who the hell says this stuff?  We certainly don't need our recently entrenched spoiled, entitled, & martyr syndrome ball club to be told they've just grinded out the last 20 days of hell on earth!  Going 11 - 9......   Gritty baseball indeed????

OK.... On the rosy side, YES!  Very good baseball the bast 2 weeks!  STOP THERE little bobby v.  MY GOD!  Who's arss are you blowing smoke up?  OURS???  Come on now!  The players???  Of course you are!   The inmates are sitll running the asylum!  Where does Shop Vac get off complaining about playing time????????  HE CLEARLY KNEW somebody had his back in doing so???????????????????????

WHO??????     If you don't know, you're hopeless!  

Just shut the F up & play!   We love you guys right now!  Especially the young guys who are driving this run..........   Just shut up & play!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

The credit goes to the coaching staff?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I dunno, for my money I wouldn't mind seeing on camera BV and the players arranged like a choir on the mound.
    BV: "All right, after me now. We're going to win this thing."
    Players, in unison: "We're going to win this thing."
    For the life of me, I don't get why BV's comments get listed under "shooting his mouth off." It far from unusual for coaches and managers to make such statements. He has and may again shoot his mouth off at times. This time he doing a little old-fashioned rah-rah to go with all his other compliments of his players.
    Evangelize them, Bobby.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Valentine isn't the most thoughtful person when he speaks to the media (still) but I agree with Space that this is a different, more "mellowed" person so far than he was in NY. He is still bumping into walls at moments, probably not yet figuring out how easily the marketplace takes a soundbite, analyzes it, redefines it and then beats it into the ground with a fervor usually reserved for British tabloids. But I just don't see this comment in that light and late May doesn't create bulletin board fodder in opposing clubhouses.

And I agree with Ex that the 'rah-rah" aspect of this is welcome. While not entirely without reason, this team has been subject to the wrath of local and national mediots and the RS Nation since late September in virtual rainstorm of excrement.

Hearing the manager talking well of them, their play and character I am sure is quite welcome right about now and is just another step in hopefully putting to bed a nightmare that has run from September 2011 pretty much non-stop.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

BobbyV is "Pumped and Jacked!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Actually I sense a rah-rah on this board, which is actually kind of refreshing. Good to see the fans actually feeling good about the Sox. Like I said, I respect Bobby V (have always felt he was a solid baseball x and o's manager), but I will also reserve judgment on his public statements. I hope the Sox will continue to play well and pitch well. Do both, and the Sox may just win those 93 games. I don't know. I predicted 86.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

as mr wolf said in pulp fiction.....

you know the rest

i love bobby v's passion but..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE].500 as mr wolf said in pulp fiction..... you know the rest i love bobby v's passion but.. .500
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    You might want to check how many teams in baseball history stood at .500, or worse, on this date -- and eventually won it all. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

of dimes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I like the rah-rah and pump up the troops, but I'm not for the way he did it.  Saying something like, "If the guys keep playing like this, we'll be hard to beat at the end of the year," or "We can beat anybody when we play like this," would do the same thing and not leave himself and his team vulnerable later to comments they don't need.  From time to time these guys have have a fragile personna like last fall when they were struggling to win one more game.  If they get in that position again, I don't think it would be helpful if the media brings this up.

Sections
Shortcuts