1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship."

In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship.":
    [QUOTE].500 as mr wolf said in pulp fiction..... you know the rest i love bobby v's passion but.. .500
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Great minds (or something). I used that very same line on another thread recently. Well, that is, I referred to it. Couldn't use it, at least not directly, of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship."

Could you imagine the Flack Rex Ryan would get if he predicted a Championship this early in the Jets season?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship.":
    [QUOTE]I like the rah-rah and pump up the troops, but I'm not for the way he did it.  Saying something like, "If the guys keep playing like this, we'll be hard to beat at the end of the year," or "We can beat anybody when we play like this," would do the same thing and not leave himself and his team vulnerable later to comments they don't need.  From time to time these guys have have a fragile personna like last fall when they were struggling to win one more game.  If they get in that position again, I don't think it would be helpful if the media brings this up.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]
    How about we wait to see what actually happens?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship." : How about we wait to see what actually happens?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]
    This team this year, as opposed to that team last year, has not given a hint of a "fragile persona." In fact, as Moon says, they are very "scrappy." Last year, when the club was winning big, it simply bowled over the opposition, then proved not to have what it takes when the heat was on. This club has an entirely different personality. It gets contributions from players who weren't on the roster to start with. It battles every game. It comes from behind late. It executes fundamentals better. 
    It may not "win the championship," or even come close, but I'd bet that it will hang tough, and not have fragility issues "from time to time."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]He has bigger task coming soon when Ells, CC, Kalish, Ross, and Sweeney return from the injury.. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Kalish? He won't make the major league roster unless it's after Sept. 1. What has he done in the last two years to warrant a spot on the big club? Oh yeah,
    and you forgot to mention DMac (being facetious).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

BV attached an important provision to his statement: [ if ] we play like this....  He meant the brand of baseball, not necessarily the high winning percentage during a specific stretch. If the if pans out, there's a good chance that he could be right. He's stoking the troops. Given everything this club has been through since last September, and with all the injuries, his statement is rather refreshing. 
    He made a prediction based on a provision. Done all the time.
    If you want to read some good comments on the issue, read the responses to Wilbur's sophomoric space-filler. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]BV attached an important provision to his statement: [ if ] we play like this....  He meant the brand of baseball, not necessarily the high winning percentage during a specific stretch. If the if pans out, there's a good chance that he could be right. He's stoking the troops. Given everything this club has been through since last September, and with all the injuries, his statement is rather refreshing.  He made a prediction based on a provision. Done all the time. If you want to read some good comments on the issue, read the responses to Wilbur's sophomoric space-filler. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]Agreed.

I am no fan of the Valentine hire but some of the attacks on him are just unfair.

While BV has stepped on a few landmines since he got here with off the cuff remarks I personally don't see any harm here at all. He could have phrased it differently but where is the harm? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V:"We play like this the rest of the season,"we're going to win the championship." : Agreed. I am no fan of the Valentine hire but some of the attacks on him are just unfair. While BV has stepped on a few landmines since he got here with off the cuff remarks I personally don't see any harm here at all. He could have phrased it differently but where is the harm? 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Nothing wrong about what Valentine said.  He was just trying to be encouraging.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I dunno, for my money I wouldn't mind seeing on camera BV and the players arranged like a choir on the mound. BV: "All right, after me now. We're going to win this thing." Players, in unison: "We're going to win this thing." For the life of me, I don't get why BV's comments get listed under "shooting his mouth off." It far from unusual for coaches and managers to make such statements. He has and may again shoot his mouth off at times. This time he doing a little old-fashioned rah-rah to go with all his other compliments of his players. Evangelize them, Bobby.  
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I've had my issues with BV's decisions, mostly early on, but there is nothing wrong here.  One of the great moments in RS history was when they asked Baylor whether the RS were going to blow it in 1986, when they were struggling a little.  He basically said 'no way', and I think that provided cover for the younger kids to just play without thinking about it a whole lot.

I applaud BV's comments.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In response to Yukon-Cornelius' comment:;

My take on this is that he's saying that if the Sox keep getting unexpected contributions from guys like Podsednik, Nava, etc, then they're "going to win the championship".  I like his enthusiasm here, but I think he needs to stop running his mouth like this.  Problem is, Bobby is incapable of filtering what he says.