BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS! will he keep doing it? will he do it with a STAR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS! will he keep doing it? will he do it with a STAR?

folks francona he ain't! THIS GUY JUST SITS THERE AND GIVES YOU STraIGHT ANSWERS. WE ARE talking spring training here and he's already drawing lines. with doubront, he says his ability to put guys away hasnt impressed him and that he's not a guy likely to start the season on the ballclub but may contibute at some point.. hmmm, only issue with that is that mr. doubront is out of options. so if he's not on the ballclub, it means he's going to be cut! with darnell, he got called out by a mile. v comes out and says point blank that he missed a sign and he warned him in  no uncertain terms that if it happens again, he will be benched or taken out of the game immediately. folks, this will be an interesting and unboring season!

btw, wonder what happens when he pulls this stuff with ortiz, gonzo, youk, beckett or pedy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: BOBBY V calls out MACDONALD!

Didn't see Macdonald sticking with team, this certainly doesn't improve his chances. I wonder if Bobby V would have been as candid if one of the stars had missed sign.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to BOBBY V calls out MACDONALD!:
    folks francona he ain't! THIS GUY JUST SITS THERE AND GIVES YOU STraIGHT ANSWERS. WE ARE talking spring training here and he's already drawing lines. with doubront, he says his ability to put guys away hasnt impressed him and that he's not a guy likely to start the season on the ballclub but may contibute at some point.. hmmm, only issue with that is that mr. doubront is out of options. so if he's not on the ballclub, it means he's going to be cut! with darnell, he got called out by a mile. v comes out and says point blank that he missed a sign and he warned him in  no uncertain terms that if it happens again, he will be benched or taken out of the game immediately. folks, this will be an interesting and unboring season! btw, wonder what happens when he pulls this stuff with ortiz, gonzo, youk, beckett or pedy?
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

It was Iglesias, not Macdonald that missed a sign.

"With Iglesias, who had missed a week with a sore groin, Valentine could have started with the nice defensive play the kid made, reacting with lightning quickness to a bad hop that threatened to rearrange his face. Instead he volunteered -- without prompting -- that Iglesias had missed a sign on a play that resulted in Darnell McDonald being caught stealing by yards
    He missed a sign,’’ Valentine said. “It was a tough sign to get, [but] I told him I’d take him out of the game if he ever missed a sign again.’’

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to "BOBBY V calls out MACDONALD!":
    folks francona he ain't! THIS GUY JUST SITS THERE AND GIVES YOU STraIGHT ANSWERS. WE ARE talking spring training here and he's already drawing lines. with doubront, he says his ability to put guys away hasnt impressed him and that he's not a guy likely to start the season on the ballclub but may contibute at some point.. hmmm, only issue with that is that mr. doubront is out of options. so if he's not on the ballclub, it means he's going to be cut! with darnell, he got called out by a mile. v comes out and says point blank that he missed a sign and he warned him in  no uncertain terms that if it happens again, he will be benched or taken out of the game immediately. folks, this will be an interesting and unboring season! btw, wonder what happens when he pulls this stuff with ortiz, gonzo, youk, beckett or pedy? Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN
    What is your opinion of BV calling out players in the press? As a player, will this get old quick, or become part of the culture? Will BV have the cajones to do the same with Beckett or Ortiz?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

If one of the Big Boys messes up, I hope he does the same thing.  Accountability should be for everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS!

i stand corrected, it was mr. iglesias. also its definitely a CULTURAL change issue. this is what the organization esp lucchino wanted. if u've heard him talk on eei, its consistent with his personality. good thing they give him a 2 year deal for it will get old quick if they arent winning or if done under pressure as it was with billy martin back in the day. what will happen if he goes after an ortiz 9and it WILLL happen) is that a papi will talk back, be it on twitter or via surrogates.. as in "this clubhouse is toxic, this overrated guy with no rings acts like he's belichick, bla bla"... an intervention from lucchino may have to occur at some point. bottom line will be about wins and losses, not players' comfort. they clearly want them ruffled and on edge and not too comfortable anymore from contract negotiations to the field.

bobby v plans on having infield and practice drills. tito never did and many mlb teams don't. v wants the fundamentals to be emphasized and for guys to play hard. as fans, we will rally around v,, AS LONG AS WE ARE WINNING!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I dont mind him calling out the younger and inexperienced players. They should when they make mental mistakes. I will help them in the future.

Question is: what will players like Beckett, Ortiz, Pedey, Ellsbury get called out...what kind of reactions will they have...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'm trying to remember the one time Grady Little called someone out. I was shocked by it. Was it Ramirez who he pulled from the middle of a game?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

everyone is riding the bus in Florida...Tito actually allowed the "stars" to travel on their own....talk about a bootlicking double standard - no wonder they laughed at him when he tried to stop the September shenanigans....Bobby V is 100% correct...what is this crapola about not calling them out in the media??? So millions of fans watch the games on tv/live and when a player screws up, everyone knows about it but the manager shouldnt discuss it?

Beyond bootlicking dumb...

I love the Valentine era....btw what team is Tito coaching for right now? As you can see his approach really impressed all MLB teams looking for a skipper...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Georom, managers typically take a year or two off before coaching elsewhere. I think Francona will eventually land another major league managerial post, or at least a bench job in the more distant future when it would no longer seem like a demotion. He's managed in two tough markets (Philadelphia and Boston) and won two World Series Championships. Regardless of whatever else, that's an impressive resume in and of itself. I could envision him managing in another big market, like Chicago (if Ventura fails with the White Sox), or Los Angeles (when the new Dodgers ownership brings in its own people). If he gets bored and misses the clubhouse, Brad Mills would find a spot for his pal on the Houston staff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS!:
    everyone is riding the bus in Florida...Tito actually allowed the "stars" to travel on their own....talk about a bootlicking double standard - no wonder they laughed at him when he tried to stop the September shenanigans....Bobby V is 100% correct...what is this crapola about not calling them out in the media??? So millions of fans watch the games on tv/live and when a player screws up, everyone knows about it but the manager shouldnt discuss it? Beyond bootlicking dumb... I love the Valentine era....btw what team is Tito coaching for right now? As you can see his approach really impressed all MLB teams looking for a skipper...
    Posted by georom4

Do you really think we've seen the last of Tito as a manager. Do a little commentary on ESPN, then pick his spot in the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

attic...who wants him? he is the KC jones of managers....2 championships and never to be heard of from again....according to so many on here, tito was going to have his choice of jobs....whatever....some of us know what he was....a poor field manager with a knack for towing the company line/pr

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY V calls out MACDONALD!:
    In Response to BOBBY V calls out MACDONALD! : It was Iglesias, not Macdonald that missed a sign. "With Iglesias, who had missed a week with a sore groin, Valentine could have started with the nice defensive play the kid made, reacting with lightning quickness to a bad hop that threatened to rearrange his face. Instead he volunteered -- without prompting -- that Iglesias had missed a sign on a play that resulted in Darnell McDonald being caught stealing by yards He missed a sign,’’ Valentine said. “It was a tough sign to get, [but] I told him I’d take him out of the game if he ever missed a sign again.’’
    Posted by ThefourBs
    There is a way to conceal signs without making them "tough to get" for your own team. Players shouldn't be expected to become semaphore acrobats. They should be concentrating on execution, not wondering what the sign is.
    There is a thin line between alertness and jumpiness. A good manager knows how to instill the former without causing the latter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY V calls out MACDONALD!:
       Didn't see Macdonald sticking with team, this certainly doesn't improve his chances. I wonder if Bobby V would have been as candid if one of the stars had missed sign.
    Posted by attic-dan

Hell no !!! If Bobby V trys the push shove thing with one  of the stars ,He might be pushed out of a job.....Who wins ..Bobby Vor Gonzo ? Who wins Bobby V or Ells ? Get where i'm going with this. Managers are hired to be fired....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm trying to remember the one time Grady Little called someone out. I was shocked by it. Was it Ramirez who he pulled from the middle of a game?
    Posted by davidap
    It was Grady that benched Manny
    http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23286
    The whole leaving Pedro in too long thing aside, I always liked Grady Little. I have to disclose though, that my best friend in the Air Force was also named Little.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Thanks Carnie. I'm impressed that Little embarrassed a loafing star that way. Too few coaches and managers ever show the resolve to do the same. The only other local examples I can think of off the top of my head are both with Doc Rivers. One time he benched Paul Pierce (who wasn't in foul trouble) for most of the 4th quarter in a close home game and visibly got into the captain's face about not exerting effort on defense. That was during Rivers' first year as coach. Pierce later admitted that he needed the discipline and retrospectively thanked Rivers for it. The second example occurred earlier this season when Rivers called a timeout in a game at Toronto, where many of the Celtics players looked sluggish. He quite conspicuously screamed at Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo, pulling both of them from the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Who cares about this Bobby V hype it's going to primarily come down to our 4,5 and maybe 6 starter. I'm not knocking the guy but when the Sox are 30-25 all I'll read is "Bobby V overmanages, he runs into too many outs, why bunt in the 4the fourth inning, I think he's rubbing some of the veterans the wrong way in the media." Slow down on sweating this guy. Right now I have Tito 2 rings Bobby V. 0. We'll see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

attic...who wants him? he is the KC jones of managers....2 championships and never to be heard of from again....according to so many on here, tito was going to have his choice of jobs....whatever....some of us know what he was....a poor field manager with a knack for towing the company line/pr
    Posted by georom4

georom... Tito will get his chance. Two rings go a long way no matter how their obtained. He'll be a counter weight to when one of the "discipline" guys like Showwalter gets fired.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS! : It was Grady that benched Manny http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23286 The whole leaving Pedro in too long thing aside, I always liked Grady Little. I have to disclose though, that my best friend in the Air Force was also named Little.
    Posted by carnie
    Grady Little was a very good manager. I agree with Moon that he got a raw deal in Boston. In LA too, from McCourt, the low-life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS! : Grady Little was a very good manager. I agree with Moon that he got a raw deal in Boston. In LA too, from McCourt, the low-life.
    Posted by expitch

Sorry, Grady made the single worst in game decision these eyes have ever seen. Pedro was cooked, if I was Henry I would have fired him on the spot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Sadly, McCourt's roots are in Boston, too ...

I'm quite sure you know that there were chants of go back to Boston as the LAD thing got worse and worse...

I liked Grady as well...but the 100 count bungle was sure to cause waves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" btw what team is Tito coaching for right now? As you can see his approach really impressed all MLB teams looking for a skipper."

Yeah you tell 'em Geo - Bobby V would never find himself  in a position to take a job at ESPN. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Sadly, McCourt's roots are in Boston, too ... I'm quite sure you know that there were chants of go back to Boston as the LAD thing got worse and worse... I liked Grady as well...but the 100 count bungle was sure to cause waves.
    Posted by SinceYaz

Little was an old school manager that didn't embrace the new age sabre metrics AKA "The modern game" and refused to embrace the use of data to help him with his on field decisions. The results of the game aside, it is due to this, that he is no longer wearing a big league uniform. His time in Boston was numbered anyway. His handling of game 6 in 2003 only served as the final nail for Henry. Who strongly believes in using every availble piece of information and tool at ones disposal...His allowing Pedro to pitch, with Embry, Williamson and Timlin all at the ready is much the same "old school" approach that McNamara employed leaving Buckner at first instead of doing what he'd done all year and that was replace him with Stapleton (our late innings defensive replacement). Both of them today, if given a do over I'm sure would make the same moves. That's thier MO...that said, had Buckner made the play, and we still lost or had Pedro finished the 8th and walked off the mound to a choras of boes while the fans of the Yankees tried in vain to muster another who's your daddy" chant. Then the pen gave it up in the 9th...Little might well have stayed on for the 2004 season and who knows maybe we'd still be hearing 1918.....1918.....1918.....Or not?

So with that said, Little was a good manager, but he was not a great manager. If he were, he'd still be managing today. As the game evolves, manager must evolve with it. Today's managers not only have to understand the fundementals. They must also embrace the subtle changes that come with technology and the better ones, do thier homework and allow thier bench couch to advise them on a particular trend and still have the ability to look into the eyes of thier players and know which of them they can trust when the lights are on. In the end the players are the ones that have to do thier job and when they do. the managers often are credited with making the right move, when they fail, the managers decision then get questioned. Like booing the umpire, questioning a manager real time tactical decisions is a time honored tradition that all fans have earned the right to do...the devils in the details and when the game is done and the results have been posted. The manager then sits with the GM and reviews the results and one or both then have to go meet the boss...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY V calls out IGLESIAS! : Little was an old school manager that didn't embrace the new age sabre metrics AKA "The modern game" and refused to embrace the use of data to help him with his on field decisions. The results of the game aside, it is due to this, that he is no longer wearing a big league uniform. His time in Boston was numbered anyway. His handling of game 6 in 2003 only served as the final nail for Henry. Who strongly believes in using every availble piece of information and tool at ones disposal...His allowing Pedro to pitch, with Embry, Williamson and Timlin all at the ready is much the same "old school" approach that McNamara employed leaving Buckner at first instead of doing what he'd done all year and that was replace him with Stapleton (our late innings defensive replacement). Both of them today, if given a do over I'm sure would make the same moves. That's thier MO...that said, had Buckner made the play, and we still lost or had Pedro finished the 8th and walked off the mound to a choras of boes while the fans of the Yankees tried in vain to muster another who's your daddy" chant. Then the pen gave it up in the 9th...Little might well have stayed on for the 2004 season and who knows maybe we'd still be hearing 1918.....1918.....1918.....Or not? So with that said, Little was a good manager, but he was not a great manager. If he were, he'd still be managing today. As the game evolves, manager must evolve with it. Today's managers not only have to understand the fundementals. They must also embrace the subtle changes that come with technology and the better ones, do thier homework and allow thier bench couch to advise them on a particular trend and still have the ability to look into the eyes of thier players and know which of them they can trust when the lights are on. In the end the players are the ones that have to do thier job and when they do. the managers often are credited with making the right move, when they fail, the managers decision then get questioned. Like booing the umpire, questioning a manager real time tactical decisions is a time honored tradition that all fans have earned the right to do...the devils in the details and when the game is done and the results have been posted. The manager then sits with the GM and reviews the results and one or both then have to go meet the boss...
    Posted by Beantowne
    So, are you implying that other managers who've been fired but are back in the dugout today are "great managers" because they are still managing?

Sections
Shortcuts