Bobby V calls out Youk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Bobby V calls out Youk

In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk : Did it ever occur to you that the edict to make that comment came from the people that DO sign the checks?
    Posted by KRomine[/QUOTE]

Never occurred to me.  Do you have any proof that ownership told Bobby V. to publicly criticize a player on a 3 game hitting streak?  Besides, that's not ownership's style.  They usually leak such comments directly to the press.

And Bobby V. has never been a yes man to ownership. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby V calls out Youk": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk : Did it ever occur to you that the edict to make that comment came from the people that DO sign the checks? Posted by KRomine[/QUOTE] No. And, I believe it preposterous to suggest. This was simply vintage Valentine - the personality that wears poorly over time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't have a problem with Bobby's comments. There are different ways to motivate. I also like Pedey sticking up for his teammate. Good to see that , but it is not necessary for players to like their manager.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby V calls out Youk": [QUOTE]I don't have a problem with Bobby's comments. There are different ways to motivate. I also like Pedey sticking up for his teammate. Good to see that , but it is not necessary for players to like their manager. Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE] Thirty years ago, I would have agreed. But, let's say it still holds true and ask this question, "Is it necessary that players respect their manager?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bobby V calls out Youk": Thirty years ago, I would have agreed. But, let's say it still holds true and ask this question, "Is it necessary that players respect their manager?
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I think respect is necessary. I don't think Valentine did anything that would result in losing respect.  He is certainly going to be outspoken. Players have the best of all worlds. They should not be overly sensitive. Anyway , as I said , I like the idea of Pedey defending his teammate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Come on boys get on your big girl panties, stop crying about what your manager says about you and just play good baseball. And stop being ticked off that your beloved Tito isn't around anymore. He's gone. Deal with it!
    Posted by CONIGfan25[/QUOTE]

yeah but Bobby V apologised.  It seems that he is the one wearing big girl panties.  He got punked out by Pedroia.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

When signed we were asked to give BV a nickname, I went with "ticking timebomb".  The guy is an idiot.  He forces players to field annoying questions about teammates b/c of shyt he stirs.  Different team, same story.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]When signed we were asked to give BV a nickname, I went with "ticking timebomb".  The guy is an idiot.  He forces players to field annoying questions about teammates b/c of shyt he stirs.  Different team, same story.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Calling out players through the media rarely ever accomplishes anything positive. That tactic may work with a very young team but certainly not a veteran team like the Yanks or Red Sox (as evidenced by Pedroia’s comments).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk : either that or you are a sycophant.  Aren't you the one that said with Bobby V as manager you "knew" that all the players were going to be together and united?  Then you think a guy is a "genius" for singling out one player? I felt bad for Youk.  Bobby V said he was wrong and apologised to Youk.  
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

I believe I said "force them act like a team" or something like that in reference to making them travel together in Spring Training.  I never used the word Unite.

But thanks for misremembering.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Its not what he said. Everyone knows this is what he does. Its the timing that is the problem. Averaging around 10 runs a game against an excellent pitching staff, just shut your mouth and ride the wave. He only has so many bullets and he just shot one off into the air

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

I agree. I have been paying very close attention to Yuk during spring training and the begining of the season. His head is not in the game. I have watched him in the dugout and he clearly seems distracted and disinterested. I have whached him when the pitching coach or Bobby V comes to the mound and while all the other infielders are standing in there and listening to every word, Yuk drifts off to the back of the mound in the grassy area as though he's disinterested.

Look,

I have been a big fan of Yuk over the years but based on what I have observed...Bobby V is right on the money. Yuk strikes out allot, barely ever swings at the first pitch even when it's right down the middle. Constantly putting himself in a pitcher's count as a result. YEA, HE USE TO PLAY WITH TREMENDOUS PASSION BUT NOT LATELY. HIS MIND IS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I hope he can discover himself again.

[QUOTE]Classy move.  Questioning Youkilis' motivation after watching him for ten games as his manager?  
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Like Moon said on another post, drama cannot be good...Still, the Red Sox have a ton of talent, and if you look at how mediocre the Yankee starting pitching is, and the fact that the Rays SP might not be as untouchable as every one assumes, the AL East will be a dogfight...I think the Red Sox will survive Bobby's comments just fine...It will come down to which of the 3 AL East contenders get it all together...Right now, I would not put my money on any of them...Only the Rangers and the Tigers are looking solid for the post-season at this early stage...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk : Yes, I think respect is necessary. I don't think Valentine did anything that would result in losing respect.  He is certainly going to be outspoken. Players have the best of all worlds. They should not be overly sensitive. Anyway , as I said , I like the idea of Pedey defending his teammate.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Judging from youk and pedey's reactions I'd have to say you are wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk : I thought they just won 3 in a row.  If "clubhouse" mentality leads to a streak of wins against arugable the best pitching staff in the AL then maybe the "clubhouse" mentaility is a good thing. Bashing a team on a winning streak is pretty stupid.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

You have no idea what's going on in that clubhouse...and amongst those players. Valentine does.

All I know is that these overpaid, pampered bums embarrassed themselves last year...and are continuing on the same track so far this year. So now, Youk is whining because his manager got on him a bit? This team and it's pampered players collectively need a good swift kick in the butt. Maybe, by benching Youk, Valentine was trying to send a message to his underachieving team. He should never have apologized.  

Hey Youk, and the rest of you overpaid, pampered fat cats...when you get paid mega millions, you're expected to produce...not to whine, party, and/or make excuses.    

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Nuck Cafardo: So here's a question for you, folks: why, exactly, is Bobby Valentine here? Seriously. What was he brought in to do? If Red Sox ownership (John Henry and Tom Werner) or upper management (Larry Lucchino) wanted Valentine here to ruffle feathers and put the team on edge, then they need to come out soon and say so. At the moment, after all, Valentine doesn't seem to be getting support anywhere else. Bobby V. has been here all of 10 games and is being booed by the fans, dismissed by his players and lectured to by his GM, which is basically what was happening to Francona at the end of last season. If the manager of the Red Sox doesn't have credibility or trust within the walls of his own organization, he's certainly not going to get any outside of Fenway Park, either. For all of his faults -- and he has plenty -- Valentine is now starting to look like a relatively sympathetic figure, though he brings much of his issues on himself. Valentine will be 62 next month. He comes off as self-promoting and disingenuous. But Red Sox fans and players have not so much as given the man a chance, Valentine all but exiled beyond the city limits. Earth to Red Sox players: Francona covered your backs for eight years and you got him fired last September. You have no right to complain about anything anymore. Had you conducted yourselves with a little more professionalism and been a whole lot more committed, you would likely still possess a secure environment. The moment that blew up, you left yourselves open to an array of possibilities, one of which was a manager who wasn't going to repeatedly tell you how great you are. If someone like Pedroia has an issue with that, he really needs to take it up with the gluttonous teammates through whose greasy fingers last year's season slipped. We all like Pedroia. We all like what he stands for. But the players work for the manager, not the other way around.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

Youk has a head like a watermelon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Like Moon said on another post, drama cannot be good...Still, the Red Sox have a ton of talent, and if you look at how mediocre the Yankee starting pitching is, and the fact that the Rays SP might not be as untouchable as every one assumes, the AL East will be a dogfight...I think the Red Sox will survive Bobby's comments just fine...It will come down to which of the 3 AL East contenders get it all together...Right now, I would not put my money on any of them...Only the Rangers and the Tigers are looking solid for the post-season at this early stage...
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about this Teilhardian.  A little dramatic tension could be just what the doctor ordered.  Of course, the danger is that the drama leads to dissension and dysfunction.  But, the danger of Drama-Avoidance is dissipation into sleep (see latter day Francona teams).  A little tension can go a long way to fuel fierce competitive fire.  I do not mind angry players and as long as they are still focused and playing hard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V calls out Youk : I am not sure about this Teilhardian.  A little dramatic tension could be just what the doctor ordered.  Of course, the danger is that the drama leads to dissension and dysfunction.  But, the danger of Drama-Avoidance is dissipation into sleep (see latter day Francona teams).  A little tension can go a long way to fuel fierce competitive fire.  I do not mind angry players and as long as they are still focused and playing hard.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Yup.

Sections
Shortcuts