Bobby V--so far, so good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bobby V--so far, so good

Lousy record so far, for which he blames--Bobby V. I already like the way he manages the bullpen, better, I think, than Francona did. He has adjusted the lineup trying to get more production with Ells, CC, Youk, and sometimes AGon MIA. His only sin with tthe rotation has been wanting them to stay in past 90 pitches, which is something they have not done well. When your three veteran starters struggle and your lineup is missing last year's MVP, you are in trouble. When your team seems to have retained whatever led to last Septembers epic collapse, it might be hard to maintain you enthusiasm for managing in the bigs. When you are managing a team that can't seem to win in front of sellouts of fans with high expectations, it ain't much fun. It's hard. Wasn't that what the Tom hanks manager said? The hard is what makes it great. So far, Bobby V is having a great year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Re: Bobby V--so far, so good

I don't know if I'd go so far to say that he's having a great year, but he walked into a complete mess.  He is figuring out the bullpen after seeing who can do what...you know, with the BP throwing more innings than the starters.

I'm not going to fault Bobby V as much for what has happened this year, thus far.  He's not been perfect, but he certainly doesn't deserve the majority of the criticism. 

The starting pitching is a relative mess...there's a lot of money in that rotation (and the DL) giving us and the team NOTHING of value.  They deserve most of the blame here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He  might be managing well but he is not having a "great year" because he is being attacked on all fronts.  I wish him well and hope he can stay and be a positive force in Boston for the next 2 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hang in there, Valentine, the worst might be over.  Hopefully anyway. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i dont mind BV all that much... hes made some good moves, bad moves and questionable ones. but hes just trying to figure this ball club out. i'm not going to make a decision on him until the season is over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from august271985. Show august271985's posts

I'm convinced that the ONLY guy who could have done better, considering the situation, is John Ferrell. You could have brought Francona back, and I don't think anything would have changed. The thing that is frustrating is that upper management seems to be handicapping BV's control of the team and siding with the players. I wish BV could have just gone off on Beckett, not taken so much flak for the harmless Youkilis comments, and been given the authority to take the reigns of the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Amazing to see people say it is not BV's fault.
    Last year Tito made the same moves and was thrown under the bus repeatedly by people here.
    BV does the L/R thing and it is OK.
    Tito does it and he is a terrible manager.
    BV goes to the BP and he made the right move even when the RP gets belted.
    TF did the same thing and he either waited too long or brought in the wrong guy.
    BV lets a SP give up 5+ and all is quiet.
    TF  let a SP give up 5+ and he made it impossible for the team to come back.

Just watching how so many said one thing last year and are saying different things this year.
    Except for softy who still wants to trade JE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

He wobbled some, made some mistakes, but I think is shaking the rust off now. He's gotten better, and I'd actually like to see him take a firmer hand, especially with the SP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good:
    He wobbled some, made some mistakes, but I think is shaking the rust off now. He's gotten better, and I'd actually like to see him take a firmer hand, especially with the SP.
    Posted by TheExaminer
    I agree Examiner.  And I think Bobby is starting to get the starters going in the right direction.  He has come out early on a couple of occasions to get the young guys redirected.  The problem is the veterans.  They aren't buying into Bobby at all and are set in their ways.  Hopefully as the season rolls on both Bobby and the veterans will respect each other more and start to get along better.  I love that Felix pitched a good game the other day and Bobby got him out after 6 good innings....and the pen was great.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

mcchamp you maybe right. Just watching the hand shakes after the game yesterday and it seemed not many players "respond" to BV the way they did to TF and the way other players respond to their mgr.   Just an observation!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

mcchamp you maybe right. Just watching the hand shakes after the game yesterday and it seemed not many players "respond" to BV the way they did to TF and the way other players respond to their mgr.   Just an observation!!!
    Posted by JimfromFlorida
    Terry was a warm and cuddly manager. Where did that get him last year?
    How do you know how all the players on other teams respond to their managers?
    You seem to be basing your opinion on a ritual gesture after a game. Do you read body language for a living?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

of course they liked 'Coma better - he let them drink on the bench and take limos everywhere....even a mellowed 62 yr old Valentine is still more of a boss than a guy 15 years younger...

Bobby is calm, intelligent, firm, and positive.....Tito was just 1/2 that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I'm convinced that the ONLY guy who could have done better, considering the situation, is John Ferrell. You could have brought Francona back, and I don't think anything would have changed. The thing that is frustrating is that upper management seems to be handicapping BV's control of the team and siding with the players. I wish BV could have just gone off on Beckett, not taken so much flak for the harmless Youkilis comments, and been given the authority to take the reigns of the team.
    Posted by august271985

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Francona is the REASON the RS sltink this year. He players get away with murder, he has no backbone, gutless. He's the reason Pedroia went to BV and said ' we don't do things this way around here'. The nerve!

Habg in Bobby, it'll come around

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : Terry was a warm and cuddly manager. Where did that get him last year? How do you know how all the players on other teams respond to their managers? You seem to be basing your opinion on a ritual gesture after a game. Do you read body language for a living?
    Posted by expitch

YESand you seem to forget the previous 7 yrs. One year does not make a bad manager or style of management.

Just watch the dugout and watch the manner in which players react you can get a sense of the human reactions.

BTW when you criticize and attack some one for an observation you look like a jerk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Bobby V--so far, so good:
    Lousy record so far, for which he blames--Bobby V. I already like the way he manages the bullpen, better, I think, than Francona did. He has adjusted the lineup trying to get more production with Ells, CC, Youk, and sometimes AGon MIA. His only sin with tthe rotation has been wanting them to stay in past 90 pitches, which is something they have not done well. When your three veteran starters struggle and your lineup is missing last year's MVP, you are in trouble. When your team seems to have retained whatever led to last Septembers epic collapse, it might be hard to maintain you enthusiasm for managing in the bigs. When you are managing a team that can't seem to win in front of sellouts of fans with high expectations, it ain't much fun. It's hard. Wasn't that what the Tom hanks manager said? The hard is what makes it great. So far, Bobby V is having a great year.
    Posted by maxbialystock

No manager with a losing record whose team is in last place is having a great year.

It's cool if you believe that he is doing an all right job but dont cheapen your point by saying he is having a great year.  His team is playing horribly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I would not say great at all but there is a learning curve for BV and the players.  I can see the team and manager coming together a little better lately and the team is playing better.  Dispite all the injuries and drama there is some positive things going on.  Some of the young talent is helping out.  Middlebrooks is the real deal and Felix is a nice addition on the mound.  And there is some more talent in the minors waiting for a chance (Lavarnway and Iggy).  This hopefully will push some of the retread veterans off the roster and energize the team with some youth.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Francona is the REASON the RS sltink this year. He players get away with murder, he has no backbone, gutless. He's the reason Pedroia went to BV and said ' we don't do things this way around here'. The nerve! Habg in Bobby, it'll come around
    Posted by jader

Fair comment

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Amazing to see people say it is not BV's fault. Last year Tito made the same moves and was thrown under the bus repeatedly by people here. BV does the L/R thing and it is OK. Tito does it and he is a terrible manager. BV goes to the BP and he made the right move even when the RP gets belted. TF did the same thing and he either waited too long or brought in the wrong guy. BV lets a SP give up 5+ and all is quiet. TF  let a SP give up 5+ and he made it impossible for the team to come back. Just watching how so many said one thing last year and are saying different things this year. Except for softy who still wants to trade JE.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I guess I have to admire your loyalty to Francona.....I don't understand it..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

of course they liked 'Coma better - he let them drink on the bench and take limos everywhere....even a mellowed 62 yr old Valentine is still more of a boss than a guy 15 years younger... Bobby is calm, intelligent, firm, and positive.....Tito was just 1/2 that
    Posted by georom4

While we're on the subject of math, Valentine also has two fewer World Series championships.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Awesome points. Francona knew nothing, let his players walk all over him and simply was lucky. Bobby V. is the best thing slice bread with a 15-19 record.
    My favorite post was the dope who said this year is STILL Francona's fault. When the Sox don't win a WS in the next 10 years (and they won't) I wonder what year it will be before it's not longer Tito and Theo's fault (my guess 2021).

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts