Bobby V--so far, so good

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Bobby V--so far, so good

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good:
    In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : typical BS response, blame the manager when the 1-3 starters stink.  you have a problem blaming the players?  bobby v is a manager; 'cona was a spin doctor.
    Posted by mryazz

You do realize it's not an either/or situation, right?  IMHO, the players have played poorly AND the manager has managed poorly.  You may think BV has done a good job as manager... that's fine.  But the fact the players have been below expectations doesn't necessarily mean BV has done a good job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It will be interesting to see how he handles the NL Parks. I think Ortiz will have to play 1B......
    Posted by andrewmitch

Make sure you tell him there is no DH...

He will utilize his fondness for small ball...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I think so. At least he's not running around kissing @zz and making lame excuses like his predecessor. Here's what I like so far. He takes responsibility for his actions.He talks about his in game moves for the most part.ie leaving Bard in in the 1-0 TB game. He talked about his thought process leading up to that decision. He fields all the questions in the Post game wrapup even strategy decisions. The other guy only answered the big softball questions.                               BV is more collaborative. You see him talking to his staff or sometimes the players in the dugout. He moves around during the game.TF sat, chewed and spit, guzzled a Poland Spring and looked like he was in a stupor sometimes. BV still looks like he wants control of this team. He has the BP up when they should be and ready when they should be. More times than not a LH'er and RH'er. He's not going to hide when bad things happen. He's made a few mistakes, Youk incident for one and there were others and probably will be more before it's over, but he will get in your face. The reason he'll be able to do that is because he'll create space between him and the player. He won't get too close or allow the player to get too close.The other players will see that there is no brown nosing allowed and they'll respect that and him more. It'll take time but he'll get it done if management backs him up.                                                          

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby V--so far, so good": Interesting. First, almost everyone agrees that Beckett and Lester are far from pitching like all stars and AGon at this rate ain't making this year's team. So we are down to two. Second,last year Francona had Ells, Pap, Youk, and CC, all all-stars not playing this year for the Sox. Third, there is no Tek to steady the pitching staff and mentor Salty. Fourth, everyone said this bullpen could not function without Pap, Bard, Bailey, and Melancon, but they are. Bobby gets a little credit for that. You also failed to read or understand my final point in the OP. Bobby V is having a great year only in the sense it's been a hard year. Given all the bs that goes with this team and certainly all the temperaments, I'm happy with what I've seen even though I recognize the Sox are a long way from getting out of the woods. I specifically think Bobby is doing better than Francona would had he returned.
    Posted by maxbialystock
    A good perspective.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

*would had he returned* Unfortunately this is just speculation on your part. We really don't know what the team would have done had Francona returned, or been allowed to return. We also don't know if he might have taken a different approach going into ST. Again, all speculation. I look at facts. Facts are this: Valentine is a MLB manager with a 15-19 record. Fact: Tito does indeed have managerial bragging rights on 2 WS titles. Fact: He was one pitch away from his team making the playoffs last year--the one where apparently he was so miserable. And that was with Papelbon closing in the final reg. season game. With no one on, 2 outs before the Orioles caught fire.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

2010 was a hard year too. Tito was given a Bridge to 11 by ownership, then a bridge off a cliff for his job in 12.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : I have to disagree with the "about as good" portion of your post. I believe that if Bobby V. took over the Sox in 2004, they would have had more success than qualifying for 2 Worls series. I believe, given the talent they had, that they underachieved for 6 of the 8 years that Francona was at the helm. I know most fans were thrilled with the 2004 WS Championship. I wanted a dynasty, and I believe the talent was here to be a dynasty. In the last 7 years under Francona, they made it to one World Series. I believe they should have been in more.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Hey Bosox I told you this before when you offered the same crap as you do now.
    Every year that Francona was there, there was significant change. If I remember my numbers correctly it was on average 7 players.

Your coment about a dynasty does not work because of the changes and the fact that most players do not perform exactly the same each year. 
    Youk has had a 30 to 40 point swing in his avergage. Look at the pitching differences for Curt in the time he was here same for MDC. Nixon had his best year ever in 2004.

You dynasty reason fails since you do not look at the ups and downs of a players career.
    You do not realize that when TB made the playoffs the first time evry RP had career years as did a few position players. Which they have never duplicated.

There is far too much change evry year as well as variations in players stats from year to year.
    This is not 1955 when every team was the same every year except for maybe on e or two changes 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Bobby V has done a "good" job so far.  After all, he is dealing with a team with so many injuries.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I think so. At least he's not running around kissing @zz and making lame excuses like his predecessor. Here's what I like so far. He takes responsibility for his actions.He talks about his in game moves for the most part.ie leaving Bard in in the 1-0 TB game. He talked about his thought process leading up to that decision. He fields all the questions in the Post game wrapup even strategy decisions. The other guy only answered the big softball questions.                               BV is more collaborative. You see him talking to his staff or sometimes the players in the dugout. He moves around during the game.TF sat, chewed and spit, guzzled a Poland Spring and looked like he was in a stupor sometimes. BV still looks like he wants control of this team. He has the BP up when they should be and ready when they should be. More times than not a LH'er and RH'er. He's not going to hide when bad things happen. He's made a few mistakes, Youk incident for one and there were others and probably will be more before it's over, but he will get in your face. The reason he'll be able to do that is because he'll create space between him and the player. He won't get too close or allow the player to get too close.The other players will see that there is no brown nosing allowed and they'll respect that and him more. It'll take time but he'll get it done if management backs him up.                                                          
    Posted by eggplants

BS...Just because TF kept every thing in the clubhouse many think he was a bad manager. Well he was damn good every year and now every one uses the chicken and beer thing to show how he was never a good manager---That in my opinion is BS.Any manager in any business has to find a common thread with all his people. Every one knows that not all people respond to the same stimulus.
    There are guys on the RS and any team that will go thru a brick wall for their manager. Then there are some who won't it is a fact of life in business. What you hope to do is keep that person rowing in the same direction as every one else with as little as trouble as possible.

It is funny how many here say Beckett has to go because he is the problem in the clubhouse. However every player when asked says he is a great team mate.

People on this site percieve and believe what some dope writes and in reality have no idea of what they are taking a position on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

One more time, it is very difficult to make the WS....if it was that easy, then other franchises would have been in 6 or 7 in a row. The Phillies could be now considered great underachievers, for instance. I was not the biggest Tito fan, but I understood his importance and I respected his ability to win. I have very little faith in Bobby V, and apparently most of MLB has had that as well based on him being out of a MLB job for so long.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

So again, so far, so good is pretty optimistic at best. In reality, it's rewarding mediocrity.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I miss the former Red Sox pitching coach, John Farrell.  He did a great job with the pitching staff.  Too bad he is now the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays. 

I wish Farrell was the manager of the Red Sox. 

Farrell, come back to Boston.   lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ice cream, I'm pretty sure he was on the short list. But it's all about timing. Farrell could become a good one for Jays. Time will tell.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

*would had he returned* Unfortunately this is just speculation on your part. We really don't know what the team would have done had Francona returned, or been allowed to return. We also don't know if he might have taken a different approach going into ST. Again, all speculation. I look at facts. Facts are this: Valentine is a MLB manager with a 15-19 record. Fact: Tito does indeed have managerial bragging rights on 2 WS titles. Fact: He was one pitch away from his team making the playoffs last year--the one where apparently he was so miserable. And that was with Papelbon closing in the final reg. season game. With no one on, 2 outs before the Orioles caught fire.
    Posted by dannycater
    The Dodgers were one pitch... until Thompson's homer, and one pitch... untll Mickey Owens's passed ball -- and the Sox were in until Buckner.... There is a long list of events like this. Terry's team took the pipe -- not just on "one pitch" but by taking an historic swan dive. THAT is a fact.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts