Bobby V--so far, so good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re: Bobby V--so far, so good

He's managing the BP better than Francona ever did. He uses ALL the BP, not just 2 or 3 guys that Francona only trusted.

I also like the way he does not give up on his starters, and pushes them. He obviously has confidence in them and allows them to get themselves out of jams.
    He's not as concerned with pitch count as he is instilling confidence.
    Bard was a little shaky early on but despite 5 walks, managed to just give up 1 run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

A new manager with a completely different style doesn't come in to a team loaded with primia donas and disrupt everything on day 1.  It's going to take time. Franconia was a great guy but he wasnt' a manager.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good:
    Francona never had such a lousy and depleted team as this one -- even last September he had a healthy Ellsbury and Papelbon (with the empasis on Papelbon).  Even though Papelbon blew that last game (never should have come down to one game) -- Papelbon still had a pretty good year -- seems on track to have a pretty good year this yar with the Phillies too.
    Posted by bellhorn_

All you have to do is go back to 2010. Youkilis, Pedroia, Lowell, Varitek, Ellsbury, Martinez and Cameron all spent significant time on the DL and missed a combined 652 games. Pedey, the team's heart and soul, played two games after June 25. Youk, one of the best 1B in baseball at the time, missed the final two months.

Yet somehow, the Sox finished 16 games over .500.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yeah...some folks do have some strange devotion to Francona.  Maybe they came from broken homes and Francona's become a surrogate daddy figure to them or something....and they feel abandoned again somehow.  Some weird psychological thing going on there.
    Posted by bellhorn_

Maybe it's that we feel an appreciation for a guy who managed the Red Sox to two World Series championships in eight years. After the franchise had gone nearly a century without one.

It ain't us with the "weird psychological thing."

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

Happy you are all in love with your new manager, but I still think time will tell Terry was way better and the guy you have now is a winless clown and always will be.  Have you guys started drinking that election Kool-Aid a little early this year?  

And the reason Pedey said what he did was because the manager who is supposed to be a "leader" threw a player under the bus.  Leadership 101 teaches you that you praise in public and discipline in private.  That clown wouldn't understand that though.  He likes headlines, the proof is in the fact he does NY talk radio. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

IMHO Valentine in the early going has:

Shown he has the media skills of Rick Patino, the in game tactics of Grady Little and relationship building skills of Joe Kerrigan.

Much of what has happened so far this year has nothing to do with Valentine but he has been far from impressive IMHO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : I also remember the ace of their staff, Carpenter, didn't pick up a ball.  Face it, by the time the Series rolled around, they were pushovers.
    Posted by bellhorn_

Yup, the Cards might have won a game, instead of being swept, if they had Carpenter.

How, exactly, do "pushovers" make it to the Wolrd Series anyway?

The Cards played one more game in the postseason than the Sox.

One extra game wore them out? Please...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

IMHO Valentine in the early going has: Shown he has the media skills of Rick Patino, the in game tactics of Grady Little and relationship building skills of Joe Kerrigan. Much of what has happened so far this year has nothing to do with Valentine but he has been far from impressive IMHO.
    Posted by fivekatz

Nicely stated, sir.  One can hope BV is just a little rusty and will find his footing ... based on what I've seen so far, though, I wouldn't bet on a long and happy tenure for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Not to simply outright agree with fivekatz...nah, he's dead on target. How in the hell can anyone think so far, so good for a team that stands in last place in the AL East with a roster that includes All-Stars like AGON, Pedroia, Ortiz, Lester, Beckett. Bobby V gets no free pass at 14-19 or whatever the Sox putrid record is right now. Start bringing this stuff up when he's 10 games over .500 or the team is actually challenging for a playoff spot. I think Valentine is a fossil and that's one reason why he hasn't been at a MLB job in many years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Tito should never ever have to pay for a beer in Boston.  BV still has to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My cut and paste...i hate doing that, but...
    Stat of the Day:
     Sunday marked the ninth time this season the Red Sox scored 10 or more runs, the most in the majors and the franchise's most ever through the first 34 games. The Red Sox are just the second team in the last 81 years to score 10-plus runs in nine of its first 34 games, joining the 1997 Colorado Rockies.

And 4 games under .500. So what's wrong with that picture? bad SPs mostly, but if  anything the team's offense obviously among the best in the majors. This does not speak of well of Valentine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby V--so far, so good":
    Not to simply outright agree with fivekatz...nah, he's dead on target. How in the hell can anyone think so far, so good for a team that stands in last place in the AL East with a roster that includes All-Stars like AGON, Pedroia, Ortiz, Lester, Beckett. Bobby V gets no free pass at 14-19 or whatever the Sox putrid record is right now. Start bringing this stuff up when he's 10 games over .500 or the team is actually challenging for a playoff spot. I think Valentine is a fossil and that's one reason why he hasn't been at a MLB job in many years. Posted by dannycater
    Interesting. First, almost everyone agrees that Beckett and Lester are far from pitching like all stars and AGon at this rate ain't making this year's team. So we are down to two. Second,last year Francona had Ells, Pap, Youk, and CC, all all-stars not playing this year for the Sox. Third, there is no Tek to steady the pitching staff and mentor Salty. Fourth, everyone said this bullpen could not function without Pap, Bard, Bailey, and Melancon, but they are. Bobby gets a little credit for that. You also failed to read or understand my final point in the OP. Bobby V is having a great year only in the sense it's been a hard year. Given all the bs that goes with this team and certainly all the temperaments, I'm happy with what I've seen even though I recognize the Sox are a long way from getting out of the woods. I specifically think Bobby is doing better than Francona would had he returned.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : being that you're a yankee fan, your drivel is meaningless.
    Posted by mryazz

Ok, I did not realize that Sox fans have the market cornered on meaningless posts about winless clown managers.  I will be more careful next time to be sure I consult an clown when posting about clowns.  Good point and I stand corrected. 

Do you suggest I send a private E-mail to you for corrections before I post? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby V--so far, so good":
    In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : Ok, I did not realize that Sox fans have the market cornered on meaningless posts about winless clown managers.  I will be more careful next time to be sure I consult an clown when posting about clowns.  Good point and I stand corrected.  Do you suggest I send a private E-mail to you for corrections before I post?  Posted by ChronicNYY13
    You do realize, I hope, that Joe Torre was winless before he got to the Yankees, ditto Francona before he got the Sox job. The team maketh the manager as much as the reverse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby V--so far, so good": You do realize, I hope, that Joe Torre was winless before he got to the Yankees, ditto Francona before he got the Sox job. The team maketh the manager as much as the reverse.
    Posted by maxbialystock

I do realize that, I just was pointing out to Mr. Mazz that just maybe he isn't the smartest person on the planet.  After all isn't that Bobby V????  Plus why would Red Sox fans be the only ones to be able to comment on Bobby V when he has been with the Red Sox for about half a year?  From the posts earlier it is obvious that the baseball world revolved around him for most of my life.  Did he invent baseball before or after the wrap??  IMHO however I do think you have a clown running the team.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : Ok, I did not realize that Sox fans have the market cornered on meaningless posts about winless clown managers.  I will be more careful next time to be sure I consult an clown when posting about clowns.  Good point and I stand corrected.  Do you suggest I send a private E-mail to you for corrections before I post? 
    Posted by ChronicNYY13

Since you've only been on the forum for a little while I can understand why you didn't realize this.  It's not a big problem.  On this board what you're supposed to do is
    1. make up another screen name that makes you sound like a redsox fan.
    2. Use that new screen name for any logical complaints about sox personnel.
    3. Use your yankee username only for idiotic sounding taunts.

This buys you a few months before the full time username police determine that both screen names are the same person and start chasing you around the forum pointing this out anytime you post anything.
    For the record, I am actually a redsox fan, so I don't need to follow this methodology.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V--so far, so good : Since you've only been on the forum for a little while I can understand why you didn't realize this.  It's not a big problem.  On this board what you're supposed to do is 1. make up another screen name that makes you sound like a redsox fan. 2. Use that new screen name for any logical complaints about sox personnel. 3. Use your yankee username only for idiotic sounding taunts. This buys you a few months before the full time username police determine that both screen names are the same person and start chasing you around the forum pointing this out anytime you post anything. For the record, I am actually a redsox fan, so I don't need to follow this methodology.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident

LOL - There is my consultant.  Thanks a bunch.  See we can all get along.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I think he is evolving as a better manager as he goes...I still think he is hesitant on some moves as he doesnt want to look bad in the media...but over all I think his in-game decisions have been on mark...things are turning for the better...cool...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It will be interesting to see how he handles the NL Parks.

I think Ortiz will have to play 1B......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bad bullpens can managers look stupid and good ones the opposite.  The last few games the bullpen has been good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Vapid, insipid and useless comes to mind. No need for a thread to say nothing.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts