Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks

In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks:
    [QUOTE]btw.... What's with the little gold star after each OP on the front burner.  What does a guy have to do to get one???   NO no no no!  I don't want one now!  I'm not of the "everybody should get a gold star modern mentality.  They should be earned!  Just curious!  How are they "given out," and by whom??? :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

f we're talking about the same little gold star (and I only see one) it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks

In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks:
    [QUOTE]I'm with you on LL...I'm tired of his act too, but he's got so much power/leverage as an executive, and Henry's trust. What LL needs to do is bow out gracefully, just resign at some point. His time is over.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I wish you were right!!!  Perhaps if things get to critical mass, which most think it is long past that, Henry will demand his resignation.  He would of course be given the leeway to take the graceful, "I resign."

BUT...   To think Luchino would do so of his own volition???  I don't think so!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE](NB: Middlebrooks has not had any games this year in which he’s made multiple errors, though there have been instances when he’s had multiple defensive misplays in the same inning.) When asked about the incident, Middlebrooks said that he had no recollection of such an exchange, but that he was appreciative of the approach that Valentine has taken to his player development in his rookie season. “I don’t even remember that [incident]. I’m sure it happened, but if I made a couple errors, I was probably pretty hot,” said Middlebrooks. “He’s good about that. He keeps things pretty light. He’s never angry or mad at you. He knows you’re playing hard and doing the things that matter.”
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Pretty telling!!!

I'm not saying it was Middlebrooks who went upstairs!  Now that would really be the BE ALL, END ALL of it!

No matter who it was, it's totally out of control!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks : f we're talking about the same little gold star (and I only see one) it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!  :)

I forgot about posting that.  Did it during a 2 minute work break...

NO!  I'm talking about the gold star after the listing of each OP on the front burner, where the list of all threads is.

Now you've awoken the sleeping giant!  I want my GD gold star!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]do you always post the same thing on different threads...it's your nature.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Me?  :)  Sometimes I do, but I don't think your talking to me???

I usually do it while provoking Softy.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks : LOL!!!  :) I forgot about posting that.  Did it during a 2 minute work break... NO!  I'm talking about the gold star after the listing of each OP on the front burner, where the list of all threads is. Now you've awoken the sleeping giant!  I want my GD gold star!!!

Ok, don't shout!  I was just trying to help!  :-))
    Maybe I'm gold-star deprived.  The only one I see on that page is the one after the number of posts in the thread.  If that's so I want MINE too!  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

valentine should clear all player communication w/pedroia - he knows how things are done here...and of course beckett...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks : Me?  :)  Sometimes I do, but I don't think your talking to me??? I usually do it while provoking Softy.  :)

it was directed at our resident neighboorhood watch security guard

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

*the snitch*   kettle black, no?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]More soap box opera, super drama. It seems that many on this forum eat this stuff up, they love it. A bunch of old ladies thriving on neihborhood gossip.  The incident is being completely overblown. Ty Cobb insulted more teammates in one day than BV would do over a year. Much ado about nothing. The snitch is the one to get rid of.

Are you the guy Danny called the neighborhood watch dog??

Sorry!  YOU're missing the point.  Doesn't surprise me!  THE POINT being that the player or coach who felt empowered to go to the front office, management, or ownership over said "offense" by bobby v.

This is not a tough concept!  I think the manager has every right to say whatever the hell he wants to a player!

What don't you get???

This is not mutually exclusive of bobby v being a tool!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]A player perhaps ( Not Middlebrooks - see above) or a coach went to management but it was never leaked to the media. Things that happen in the dugout or clubhouse should normally stay there. This is the way that it has normally been over the years. BV voluntarily gave out this info thinking that is was not important. The snitch may be a coach who has a grudge against BV. Who knows but this type of gossip, daily drama, and soap opera is why Big Papi doesn't like the three-ring circus that is Boston. It is the media overblowing a little inconsequential stuff like this that is the cancer. Why are so many threads, calls to WEEI, and column responses so obsessed with amplifying the small stuff. http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/08/02/will-middlebrooks-on-bobby-valentine-hes-trying-to-get-me-better/

You make Bobby V. being questioned / "taken to the woodshed by ownership / management about a throw away quip to a player, sound like it's common practice in a well functioning organization???

Sorry you think so!  I have no problem with you feeling it's no big deal!!!

*  For those of us concerned that this team seems completely dysfunctional, and has been grossly underperforming / s hitting the bed since Late August one year ago, we are interested when things keep coming up that seem to flesh out said dysfunction.  If it seems like a soap opera to you, it probably does to others.  We're not MAKING the soap opera, just observing & commenting on what seems to be the likely cause of this "soap opera."  Perhaps you haven't noticed, but most RS fans don't seem to like the soap opera atmosphere at all!  You might want to do a little research on inferential comprehension / cause and effect???  It might help you with your comprehension of such matters???

AGAIN.... As many others have already said......  Can you imagine ANY PLAYER, including Tom Brady, going over Belichick's head to Mr. Kraft or his GM, to complain about a snide comment made about his throwing a couple interceptions?

Of course you can't!  It simply wouldn't happen!!!

What exactly do you still not get???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Maybe Youkilis wasn't the snitch. Anyway, BV needs to find out where Beckett bought that "Stop Sniching"t-shirt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Youkilis wasn't the snitch. Anyway, BV needs to find out where Beckett bought that "Stop Sniching"t-shirt.
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]

LOL!   :)    very funny

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks : The Red Sox remind me of SO MANY dysfunctional schools, where the teachers absolutely ignore whatever the principal says, knowing they CAN'T lose their jobs.  SO MANY teachers believe that THEY, themselves, are their ultimate boss!  They know they can't be fired, and realize the principal is rarely backed up by the administration. It's a very destructive dynamic!  It's very difficult for teachers to get away with this when ALL LEVELS of administration are on the same page, and the Authority flow chart is not to be questioned.  There also must be consequences when authority is openly flouted!

A lot of times teachers must ignore what the principal says in order to do their jobs, which is to teach.  Principals get caught up in administrative mandates that constantly change, so most of what they do is BS anyway.  The same can be said about many private sector jobs where blowhards bark demands that serve egos but not necessarily the best interests of customers or the organization.  

How this pertains to Bobby V, I'm not quite sure.  I'm not even sure about what point that you're trying to make with all of this.  Isn't Bobby V part of the "Chain of Command" and wouldn't his efforts to alter the organization's paradigm be considered insubordination?  

Now I don't squat about the particulars of what happened in the dugout, but I suspect, neither do you.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. taken to the woodshed by Management & Ownership for making a comment to a player: Part II, Middlebrooks : A lot of times teachers must ignore what the principal says in order to do their jobs, which is to teach.  Principals get caught up in administrative mandates that constantly change, so most of what they do is BS anyway.  The same can be said about many private sector jobs where blowhards bark demands that serve egos but not necessarily the best interests of customers or the organization.   How this pertains to Bobby V, I'm not quite sure.  I'm not even sure about what point that you're trying to make with all of this.  Isn't Bobby V part of the "Chain of Command" and wouldn't his efforts to alter the organization's paradigm be considered insubordination?   Now I don't squat about the particulars of what happened in the dugout, but I suspect, neither do you.  
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

I was responding to someone saying that the entire coaching staff needed to be let go when Bobby V. was brought in, or failure was inevitable.

I talked about how you don't fire the entire staff when you bring in a new principal or boss.

The school analogy comes from many teachers feeling they should not have to answer to ANYONE!  Teachers get very territorial!  In some cases that is a good thing.  In many cases it is not!  This is one of the problems the Red Sox have been facing in the last year. The old "inmates running the asylum" theory," which has been universally accepted by most hard core informed Red Sox fans.  Sorry you missed it!

Whatever the case may be, all teachers and players / coaches NEED TO KNOW WHO THE BOSS IS!!!  IF THEY DON'T, AND ARE LEFT TO THEIR OWN DEVISES, UNDER THE ILLUSION THAT THEY CALL ALL THE SHOTS, THERE IS TOTAL ANARCHY!  Things quickly spiral out of control, as the most powerful teachers, the ones who have been there the longest, can take a school right down the s hitter.  When a principal with ZERO b alls, too short a skirt, or ONE WITH ZERO REAL BACKING FROM THE CENTRAL OFFICE is brought in, anarchy will become the order of the day.  If the powerful teachers happen to be effective leaders, the situation can work out ok.  If the teachers are dysfunctional, dysfunction will reign supreme!

If you've ever been a teacher, you would see that it is an apt. comparison.

Yes!  Teachers do have to ignore a certain amount of administrative BS too.  Your point is well taken.

Did you have a point?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

If there is even anything close to a "story" here, the main story line is that one of the kiddies apparently ran home and complained to Daddy about the teacher. Obviously Daddy does not discourage this sort of behavior by the kiddies, as he once did. 
    Did I understand someone above to say that BV is partly at fault because he allows the kiddies to feel free to complain to Daddy? If so, no comment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

as a teacher i can say redsoxdirtdog is cluessless about teaching....ive been teaching close to 25 years, i havent ever seen a principal tell anyone how to teach....thats not their job....they are there to run the school, not relay specific instruction to individual teachers...and if you do disobey the principal in those matters pertaining to their management of the school, you get disciplined and then fired after a warning...

the idea of the principal telling me how to teaCH the Industrial Age or jacksonian Democracy or else is humorous...that woulk be like a hosiptal coordinator telling the doctors how to treat someone in the emergency room from their office

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I said it in ST I do not believe the snitch is gone from the RS clubhouse. 
    I do not believe it is a player as well. Players who snitch will have issues through out their career. 
    The fact that this came out kind of proves it was not Youk as some suggested. You have several people still in the clubhouse from last year ????

As far as this comment goes you have RS officials sitting in the seats right next to the dugout. If one of them heard it they may have thought it was wrong and passed it on to Ben or higher.

I have also stated BV needs to engage his brain before he speaks. He should watch and learn from BB on how to speak to the media. If he has not yet figured out that the fans and media will run with anything he says he will never learn.
    He will continue to dig his own grave.

So saying the clubhouse is dysfunctional because you think some one snitched and who is in the club house maybe a wrong assumption.
    Not saying there are NOT issues in the clubhouse just saying this may not have come thru the clubhouse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]as a teacher i can say redsoxdirtdog is cluessless about teaching....ive been teaching close to 25 years, i havent ever seen a principal tell anyone how to teach....thats not their job....they are there to run the school, not relay specific instruction to individual teachers...and if you do disobey the principal in those matters pertaining to their management of the school, you get disciplined and then fired after a warning... the idea of the principal telling me how to teaCH the Industrial Age or jacksonian Democracy or else is humorous...that woulk be like a hosiptal coordinator telling the doctors how to treat someone in the emergency room from their office
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

WOW GEO!!!  You may have been a teacher for 25 years, but you obviously don't read or comprehend very well....

I NEVER SAID....  ANYTHING about a principal telling a teacher how to teach! Never said it! My comments were rather general about teachers sometimes feeling as though they call all the shots in a school setting. They can sometimes feel free to do whatever they want, without fear of any consequence, when there is a void in leadership / the principal's role. This is clearly more prevalent in grade school than in middle or high school.

Clearly you are a rather touchy teacher?  I am not!  If you did teach, then you should know full well that a principa'ls job is to absolutely observe teachers and help give them guidance and training in making sure they are using best practices.  They often need to give them feedback on their individual teaching styles, and let them know what is going well & what needs improvement.

NOT SURE WHY you're so personally touchy!  I guess you've never seen a dysfunctional school or staff???   OR....  You were too clueless to notice????

Can't teach an old dog new tricks???

The analogy is very appropriate.  Too bad you have trouble seeing it.  It also works in the private sector, where I spent my first 15 years in management, and as a sales executive / account manager.  When I was hired as the areas sales director, I did not fire all my local managers.  When the boss gets replaced, it does not necessarily mean the whole staff gets canned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The time has come to hijack this tired thread.

Where is Woburn Paulie when you need him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I have one question MAYBE MORE for GEO in regards to the school analogy.
    As an account executive how many schools have you been intimately involved with?
    I agree that part of the job of a principal is what you say. 

However you also stated the following is defense of an earlier post...
     I NEVER SAID....  ANYTHING about a principal telling a teacher how to teach! Never said it!

Then you said in continuing defense of that post .....

If you did teach, then you should know full well that a principals job is to absolutely observe teachers and help give them guidance and training in making sure they are using best practices.  They often need to give them feedback on their individual teaching styles, and let them know what is going well & what needs improvement.

SO IN DEFENSE OF YOUR ORIGINAL COMMENT WHICH YOU SAID YOU DID NOT SAY YOU USED BOTH SIDES OF THE ARGUEMENT. EITHER YOU SAID IT OR DID NOT SAY IT

Sections
Shortcuts