Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks

One thing about Jeter was that he was a good fit for the Yankees, other than that he is the most overrated, overpayed shortstop in baseball that the the Yankees have to pay for three more years of. Other than playing on the Yankees he cannot carry another team on his back. He does not have to do that playing on a team loaded like the Yankees are. Bobby Valentine is right. Jeter plays on a team with unrestricted financial resources. The Yankees way overpayed for him last year when there was no other team even remotely interested in him. Jeter was a big phoney several years ago with that tape of Bob Shepard announcing his name which he took to the Allstar team, several years ago, then when Shepard died over the allstar break Jeter blew off the funeral mass and wake. He got caught cheating New York State on taxes several years ago to the tune of 5 million dollars. Even when that student caught his monumental hit, Jeter should have been classy enough to give the guy some money or even pick up his tuition. Big phoney.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks:
    [QUOTE]One thing about Jeter was that he was a good fit for the Yankees, other than that he is the most overrated, overpayed shortstop in baseball that the the Yankees have to pay for three more years of. Other than playing on the Yankees he cannot carry another team on his back. He does not have to do that playing on a team loaded like the Yankees are. Bobby Valentine is right. Jeter plays on a team with unrestricted financial resources. The Yankees way overpayed for him last year when there was no other team even remotely interested in him. Jeter was a big phoney several years ago with that tape of Bob Shepard announcing his name which he took to the Allstar team, several years ago, then when Shepard died over the allstar break Jeter blew off the funeral mass and wake. He got caught cheating New York State on taxes several years ago to the tune of 5 million dollars. Even when that student caught his monumental hit, Jeter should have been classy enough to give the guy some money or even pick up his tuition. Big phoney.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Nice objective analysis.  Do you think the Red Sox have "overpayed" for anyone?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Bobby Valentine is right when exactly when was b . ooby right? Valentine admits his mistake, lauds Jeter Permalink|Comments (41) Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff February 29, 2012 02:12 PM By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff FORT MYERS, Fla. — Bobby Valentine is man enough to admit he was wrong. Bobby V said yesterday he didn't believe the Yankees practiced that famous Derek Jeter flip play. But bullpen coach Gary Tuck, a former Yankees coach, confirmed that the Yankees indeed do work on the triple cut-off. "Total mistake on my part because they do practice it, that’s for sure," Valentine said. "It’s hard to practice that because why are we going to practice a bad throw? That’s not what we’re doing here. But I get it. I get it." Told that his comments yesterday were causing a bit of a stir in Yankees camp, Valentine laughed. “I want it on record that I love Derek Jeter as a player," he said. "It was not a slight towards him. I love him as a guy, too .” he is the most overrated, overpayed shortstop LOL an overrated HOF SS I think RSN needs a new word for overrated I mean when the rest of BB thinks of overrated they are thinking
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Just because Jeter is over-rated, it doesn't mean he's not a hall-of-famer.  It's just that he's a Barry Larkin Hall of Famer who is perceived as a Mickey Mantle Hall of Famer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The Yankees do it a lot more than the Red Sox do. I am so tired of having Jeter shoved down my throat about what a great player he is. He is a descent player on a very good team that had unlimited financial resources. response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Nice objective analysis.  Do you think the Red Sox have "overpayed" for anyone Posted by LS350[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Let me ask you this? Is he a hall of famer on another team. In answer to that question, I say no. In response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Bobby Valentine is right when exactly when was b . ooby right? Valentine admits his mistake, lauds Jeter Permalink|Comments (41) Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff February 29, 2012 02:12 PM By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff FORT MYERS, Fla. — Bobby Valentine is man enough to admit he was wrong. Bobby V said yesterday he didn't believe the Yankees practiced that famous Derek Jeter flip play. But bullpen coach Gary Tuck, a former Yankees coach, confirmed that the Yankees indeed do work on the triple cut-off. "Total mistake on my part because they do practice it, that’s for sure," Valentine said. "It’s hard to practice that because why are we going to practice a bad throw? That’s not what we’re doing here. But I get it. I get it." Told that his comments yesterday were causing a bit of a stir in Yankees camp, Valentine laughed. “I want it on record that I love Derek Jeter as a player," he said. "It was not a slight towards him. I love him as a guy, too .” he is the most overrated, overpayed shortstop LOL an overrated HOF SS I think RSN needs a new word for overrated I mean when the rest of BB thinks of overrated they are thinking Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]One thing about Jeter was that he was a good fit for the Yankees, other than that he is the most overrated, overpayed shortstop in baseball that the the Yankees have to pay for three more years of. Other than playing on the Yankees he cannot carry another team on his back. He does not have to do that playing on a team loaded like the Yankees are. Bobby Valentine is right. Jeter plays on a team with unrestricted financial resources. The Yankees way overpayed for him last year when there was no other team even remotely interested in him. Jeter was a big phoney several years ago with that tape of Bob Shepard announcing his name which he took to the Allstar team, several years ago, then when Shepard died over the allstar break Jeter blew off the funeral mass and wake. He got caught cheating New York State on taxes several years ago to the tune of 5 million dollars. Even when that student caught his monumental hit, Jeter should have been classy enough to give the guy some money or even pick up his tuition. Big phoney.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Really AL - this is what you have in his 17 year career.

I admit Jeter has followed the DiMaggio book a little too closely for me. Now,  since I don't know the reason as to why he didn't attend Sheppard's funeral and I would doubt that you do; maybe we should leave that out of the equation. As for cheating on his taxes - do you really think he sits at his desk and does his taxes. I'm thinking no and I would doubt that his accountant is telling him, "Hey Jete, let's cheat on the taxes, you won't get caught" and Jete answering back, "sure, why not". Of course the Yanks over-payed him - it's called a thank you contract. Now he retires as a Yankee, goes into the Hall as a Yankee and the Yankee product continues to increase in value. It's called good business. FTR - And the Sox are playing with financial restrictions these last few years? Let's call Crawford, Gonzalez and a few others and ask them.

And to say he is over-rated is ridiculous. He has been listed as one of the worst fielding SS in the game for the last several years. So how can he be so over-rated? Who is over-rating him?

Jeter is still the face of Baseball. He is definitely not one of my favorite Yankees, but he is what he is - a future 1st ballot HoFer who has at least played the game right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]Let me ask you this? Is he a hall of famer on another team. In answer to that question, I say no. In response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks":
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

The only 2 players to reach 3k hits before age 37 (Jeter) are Hank Aaron and Ty Cobb. Darn good company he is in I'd say.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hi3000c.shtml

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He was under fire from WFAN in New York for blowing off that funeral wake from Mike Francessa. He claimed residence in Florida while he was living in New York to the tune of owing New York State 5 million dollars, you can look that up. In response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Really AL - this is what you have in his 17 year career. I admit Jeter has followed the DiMaggio book a little too closely for me. Now,  since I don't know the reason as to why he didn't attend Sheppard's funeral and I would doubt that you do; maybe we should leave that out of the equation. As for cheating on his taxes - do you really think he sits at his desk and does his taxes. I'm thinking no and I would doubt that his accountant is telling him, "Hey Jete, let's cheat on the taxes, you won't get caught" and Jete answering back, "sure, why not". Of course the Yanks over-payed him - it's called a thank you contract. Now he retires as a Yankee, goes into the Hall as a Yankee and the Yankee product continues to increase in value. It's called good business. FTR - And the Sox are playing with financial restrictions these last few years? Let's call Crawford, Gonzalez and a few others and ask them. And to say he is over-rated is ridiculous. He has been listed as one of the worst fielding SS in the game for the last several years. So how can he be so over-rated? Who is over-rating him? Jeter is still the face of Baseball. He is definitely not one of my favorite Yankees, but he is what he is - a future 1st ballot HoFer who has at least played the game right. Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]He was under fire from WFAN in New York for blowing off that funeral wake from Mike Francessa. He claimed residence in Florida while he was living in New York to the tune of owing New York State 5 million dollars, you can look that up. In response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks":
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Ok by me if you think that he doesn't measure up as a person.

However to say he wouldn't have gotten to 3k hits playing for another team is not exactly believable. He faced some decent pitching in the American league east for a few years. His life time BA is .313 after 17 years.

If he quit today he would still get into Cooperstown in the first round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He is surrounded by a lot of talent in New York as opposed to playing on another team. response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Ok by me if you think that he doesn't measure up as a person. However to say he wouldn't have gotten to 3k hits playing for another team is not exactly believable. He faced some decent pitching in the American league east for a few years. His life time BA is .313 after 17 years. Posted by RhapsodyInBlue[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]He is surrounded by a lot of talent in New York as opposed to playing on another team. response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks":
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Correct and he has 5 World Series rings to show for it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

Besides, a lot of pretty good players have been with the Yankees over the past 17 years who don't have over 3000 hits and never will.

He does deserve some credit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How many shortstops in the history of the game have had better careers than Jeter?  It can't be very many.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jeter has a career regular season OPS of .832 and a career postseason OPS of .839, in 152 games.  That's very impressive, no dropoff at all in his postseason numbers, in fact they're a little better. 

I hate the Yankees but certain players, especially Jeter and Rivera, it's like, why even bother trying to criticize them.  If they had been Red Sox they would be worshipped.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Ok by me if you think that he doesn't measure up as a person. However to say he wouldn't have gotten to 3k hits playing for another team is not exactly believable. He faced some decent pitching in the American league east for a few years. His life time BA is .313 after 17 years. If he quit today he would still get into Cooperstown in the first round.
    Posted by RhapsodyInBlue[/QUOTE]

A good offense leads to more plate appearances.  Jeter has been in the top five in PAs 9 times in his career.  You think that happens if he plays for the Royals?  

If he quit today, his lifetime BA is .313, but who knows four years from now.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : A good offense leads to more plate appearances.  Jeter has been in the top five in PAs 9 times in his career.  You think that happens if he plays for the Royals?   If he quit today, his lifetime BA is .313, but who knows four years from now.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Tough crew.

If he played for the Royals early in his career (like Johnny Damon) he would have opted for FA the first chance.

He's a great player, you can create all the scenarios you like to try to diminish the career the guy has had but the numbers are there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Tough crew. If he played for the Royals early in his career (like Johnny Damon) he would have opted for FA the first chance. He's a great player, you can create all the scenarios you like to try to diminish the career the guy has had but the numbers are there.
    Posted by RhapsodyInBlue[/QUOTE]

He is great.  He's just third-ballot great, not 99% first-ballot great.  Let's face it - there's a Hall of Fame within a Hall of Fame these days, and Jeter belongs next to Barry Larkin and Roberto Alomar, not Ted Williams and Babe Ruth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : He is great.  He's just third-ballot great, not 99% first-ballot great.  Let's face it - there's a Hall of Fame within a Hall of Fame these days, and Jeter belongs next to Barry Larkin and Roberto Alomar, not Ted Williams and Babe Ruth.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Williams and Ruth are the two greatest hitters in history but they weren't good fielders and they weren't infielders.  So it's not really a fair comparison. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

TheRed Sox have a little more fiscal sanity than the Yankees who spend unlimitedly, and that is what gets them into the playoffs every year with a chance at aWold Series. They would never have signed Jeter to the contract that the Yankees did in the twilight of his career when there were no other bidders for him at all. The Yankees wanted him to voluntarily move to another position several years ago and he would not do it. In response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks": [QUOTE]Jeter has a career regular season OPS of .832 and a career postseason OPS of .839, in 152 games.  That's very impressive, no dropoff at all in his postseason numbers, in fact they're a little better.  I hate the Yankees but certain players, especially Jeter and Rivera, it's like, why even bother trying to criticize them.  If they had been Red Sox they would be worshipped. Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]TheRed Sox have a little more fiscal sanity than the Yankees who spend unlimitedly, and that is what gets them into the playoffs every year with a chance at aWold Series. They would never have signed Jeter to the contract that the Yankees did in the twilight of his career when there were no other bidders for him at all. The Yankees wanted him to voluntarily move to another position several years ago and he would not do it. In response to "Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks":
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox the little Red engine that could. ;-)

Sox never would have signed Jeter for sure, they've had a bizillion different SS during Jeter's 17 years with the NYY.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : He is great.  He's just third-ballot great, not 99% first-ballot great.  Let's face it - there's a Hall of Fame within a Hall of Fame these days, and Jeter belongs next to Barry Larkin and Roberto Alomar, not Ted Williams and Babe Ruth.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Yeah Jeter a third-ballot great who will however go in on the first round.

Larkin 19 years 2340 hits, Alomar 21 years 2724 hits, Jeter 17 years 3088 hits (and still going my friend).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

mission accomplished Mr. Valentine..Sealed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks : Williams and Ruth are the two greatest hitters in history but they weren't good fielders and they weren't infielders.  So it's not really a fair comparison. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

OK, he's not Rogers Hornsby or Honus Wagner great.  Steroids aside, he's a tier down from A-Rod.  Over-rated isn't an unfair adjective.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

[QUOTE]mission accomplished Mr. Valentine..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Wait till Jeter gets to 4k. ;-)