Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr

Only kidding; but sounds good to me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

Re: Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr

In response to "Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr": [QUOTE]Only kidding; but sounds good to me! Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE] Wouldn't matter who was managing with this pitching staff not to mention the offense is nothing to brag about either.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr:
    [QUOTE]Teck made for a lousy captain....would make for a lousy manager.  Lacks leadership skills.  And of course, the problems with this team currently stem from the players on the field, not the manager.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. He fits in; quiet, but has the RESPECT of every player as well as management. Joe Maddon is quiet, Joe Torre was quiet. Tek knows the players and he knows the game, and that's what counts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I'm not a big buyer of the concept of a "captain" of professional sports teams generally...but particularly re baseball with its constant breaks in the action allowing for significant coach/manager input.  I think it's largely a ceremonial role which would explain why it's not common.  I think it's silly/ceremonial in most sports. 

Varitek as a manager?  I can see it, easily....but years down the road.  Top player, high achiever, positional player but also in tune to pitching staffs....

....but these aren't the days of Connie Mack and John McGraw!  Consider how ridiculous BV has looked after a few years in the booth and 10 years out of the MFL!  Like it or not, managing the playing staff of a billion-dollar enterprise is not your daddy's coaching job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WOW..... I will take a knee on this one !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from august271985. Show august271985's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr : Nonsense. He fits in; quiet, but has the RESPECT of every player as well as management. Joe Maddon is quiet, Joe Torre was quiet. Tek knows the players and he knows the game, and that's what counts.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

Short-term memory problems? Guess who was the manager last year??? A "quiet" guy who had the "respect" of the players. Guess what happened???

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby V. to DL; Teck interim mgr : Short-term memory problems? Guess who was the manager last year??? A "quiet" guy who had the "respect" of the players. Guess what happened???
    Posted by august271985[/QUOTE]

Exactly  !!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I could go for Tek as pitching Coach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

I have always wondered what kind of a manager in Boston Carlton Fisk would have made?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I have always wondered what kind of a manager in Boston Carlton Fisk would have made?
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]

From the 10s through the 60s I'd assume great.  Less so in the 70s/80s/90s.  Disaster since, and I love him all the more for it.  From granite, personality of granite, no give, none taken.....not a sound bite guy....and more power to him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]Players would run right over Tk as a manager.  He'd be their buddy -- the players would take advantage of that.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

My analogy is this: Suppose the CEO of General Motors retired (died, was fired, whatever), and the board of directors hired the retired former CEO of American Motors.

That's what the Sox did. They went backwards, and every player on the team knoes it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Bobby V may not be Boston's answer as manager, but Varitek is certainly not the next replacement as he is too closely connected with too many players in the clubhouse.

Not sure that Valentine can do much more right now.  No hitting, no pitching and even questionable defense.

Things will get turned around soon.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts