2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Bobby V will not be fired

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since when is Bobby Valentine a great tactician? 

It's the little things.

Like posting an all-righty lineup against a righty pitcher, only to be told later that the pitcher was lefty like BV originally thought.

Or pitching to Fielder, with a .921 OPS, instead of walking him, creating a force at home, and pitching to Young, with a .721 OPS, and a 5/1 K/W ratio this year.

Like Bard walking two guys and allowing a single against TB, to load the bases.  Then, who is warming up in the BP (Fangraphs made fun of this)?  Albers and Thomas.  Afterwards, Longoria said he was surprised that Bard was left in to pitch to him.

Like having Aviles bunt against Blackburn, even though Aviles has an OPS of 1.495 against him.

As in, issuing an intentional walk to about the worst hitter in BB to load the bases, a guy cut about a week later because even his team knew he was finished.  A guy with a worse OPS than Iglesias.  His excuse?  He saw Matsui get a lot of big hits in his career.

And the list goes on.  He is the worst tactical manager in BB.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds familiar. So it looks like you're saying that it has taken him almost a year to match what Francona averaged weekly in the way of futility. Sounds about right to me.

[/QUOTE]

If your point is that Terry Francona isn't Casey Stengel or Connie Mack, you're probably right. But if your point is that Bobby Valentine is you're dead wrong.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree, he isn't in Casey's or Connie's class as a manager. He is a vast improvement on Francona.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Bobby V will not be fired

[/QUOTE]

To quote a great baseball tactician, This isn't kindergarten. I don't buy the motivation junk. These are professionals whose income depends on performance. 

[/QUOTE]

Surely you don't really think that?

I'm not even going to comment on "I don't buy the motivation junk.

I will comment on "These are professionals whose income depends on performance."  No it does not, not in MLB anyway.  They are on guaranteed contracts which, for many, is exactly why they need motivation, whether from within or from their manager.

Has anything happened since 1958 that you approve of?