Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring

Interesting. I saw this too. Do we take that to mean the Sox have a deal for a closer in the works? I'd tend to say so......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring:
    [QUOTE]Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I don't see Bard having "Masterson" type skills but hopefully I'm wrong.  Aceves has started and would probably be more consistent and productive for six plus innings throughout the year.  I'm not sure what to think about next season at this point.  Are we even trying to find an established starter?  Or just taking one of baseballs best set up man who has never started before and filling the pen with washed up or non productive talent?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wonder why Valentine felt the need to tell all the agents for all the closers that Bard is no longer a candidate to close.  I see nothing useful to be gained from announcing it.  Madson's asking price just went up a million or so.

If Mo just went down for the year with an injury, would we expect Girardi to announce 'we just lost Mo and are desperately looking for a replacement?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring": [QUOTE]I wonder why Valentine felt the need to tell all the agents for all the closers that Bard is no longer a candidate to close.  I see nothing useful to be gained from announcing it.  Madson's asking price just went up a million or so. If Mo just went down for the year with an injury, would we expect Girardi to announce 'we just lost Mo and are desperately looking for a replacement? Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] Could be because there's a deal in the works already?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring:
    [QUOTE]I wonder why Valentine felt the need to tell all the agents for all the closers that Bard is no longer a candidate to close.  I see nothing useful to be gained from announcing it.  Madson's asking price just went up a million or so. If Mo just went down for the year with an injury, would we expect Girardi to announce 'we just lost Mo and are desperately looking for a replacement?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I have been on Madsons bandwagon for months Joe.  I think he may be a good fit but you are correct, the price tag may scare us off.  We need someone so hopefully there is a FO plane other than these pathetic names we have been picking up from the "nobody wants" list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, what's Aceves going to do?

Start? Close? Set-up? Mid-long relief?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]So, what's Aceves going to do? Start? Close? Set-up? Mid-long relief?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If our plan is to take both Aceves and Bard out of the pen to save money and not trade for a solid SP, I really wonder what our pen will look like moon.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring : If our plan is to take both Aceves and Bard out of the pen to save money and not trade for a solid SP, I really wonder what our pen will look like moon.    
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I think Aceves would make a pretty good closer.  If strength in being fearless and competitive.  But that's basically replacing one hole with another hole, as would moving Bard to SP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring : If our plan is to take both Aceves and Bard out of the pen to save money and not trade for a solid SP, I really wonder what our pen will look like moon.    
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I suppose the idea is that relievers will cost less to sign or trade for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine: Bard to be prepped as starter in spring : I think Aceves would make a pretty good closer.  If strength in being fearless and competitive.  But that's basically replacing one hole with another hole, as would moving Bard to SP.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought Joe, I'm sure not many of us including myself ever thought of. 

You May be right!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Be great if both Aceves and Bard succeeded as starters, pen guys they can get, who'll often be working with big leads.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Be great if both Aceves and Bard succeeded as starters, pen guys they can get, who'll often be working with big leads.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

That's a lot to hope for.  I'd be suspicious we couldn't get a lot of innings out of them also.  If we struck gold, and both were converted to good starters, even if only a little above average, we could sign Madson and another setup guy and not have a whole lot to worry about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's certainly going to be an interesting season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

This has great potential...to end badly.

Wish it were not so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i must say i am not a fan of this move. the sox bullpen was pretty average last year and as of right now we have no closer and now we will have no set up men either. unless the plan is to trade for bailey to be the closer and sign madson as a set up man. at this point jenks cannot be counted on as a set up man. i dont know why the sox would move bard when clearly he excells as a reliever. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I said that was the way to go over FA, to put Aceves in rotation and/or Bard if Bard can adjust this spring. Nice to Wilson is someone else's obligation. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]i must say i am not a fan of this move. the sox bullpen was pretty average last year and as of right now we have no closer and now we will have no set up men either. unless the plan is to trade for bailey to be the closer and sign madson as a set up man. at this point jenks cannot be counted on as a set up man. i dont know why the sox would move bard when clearly he excells as a reliever. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

"Pretty average"?

The Sox has the league's best WHIP at 1.20.
    First in Reliever WAR (+7.7).
    4th in FIP.
    13th in ERA playing in a hitter's park.

By the numbers Aceves, Bard and Paps might have been the best 3 man pen combo in all of baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

13th in era is pretty close to average. and look at the 3 guys you listed as the sox 3 best. papelbon is gone, bard is being converted into a starter, and we are now left with aceves. not much of a pen. i really hope ben has a plan. this team has finished in 3rd place 2 years in a row now and cannot afford to do the same this year. the fans deserve better. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wastefield is available for pen, at 1 to 2M a year. He will transform it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Well Bard better be doing some extreme conditioning because he has been groomed a closer during the Theo years. To be honest I can see Bard blowing out a rotator cuff or ruining his elbow by late August if we don't take care of him. But, based off the last 2 years I have little faith in this medical staff.

Should be an interesting season, time to sign a closer.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I like his openmindedness..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I will go on record as saying this might be an ellsbury/cameron type failure where we end up getting a lousy starter (joba is the perfect example..throws hard for an inning or two) and a hole in the bullpen....

just let him throw his filthy heat in the 9th with no runners on...that is the simplest solution...why do we have to make everything difficult?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Bard was not very good in high leverage moments, and tends to get worse as the finish line gets closer. Starting will be a better value, and if the billion dollar offensive payroll can do their jobs then Paul Byrd should be able to close.

Sections
Shortcuts