1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine smells a rat in clubhouse-Who do you think was the snitch?

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine smells a rat in clubhouse-Who do you think was the snitch?:
    ..bunch of lolligaggers. That movie never, never get old. A classic.
    Posted by dannycater

Anytime it's on I'll watch. That's my favorite scene. That and the conference on the mound.
    "Candlesticks always make a nice gift, and if you can find out where they're registered ..."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

how bout Calzone with the witty retort...now that's what I like!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine smells a rat in clubhouse-Who do you think was the snitch?:
    Folks, scroll down past dritdumb's words of wisdom from a teenage drama drag queen.
    Posted by TrotterNixon

Nice try Softy!  You really need to get some new material though.

Try to stay focused.  Lawyer????  I think not!   :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

hahaha.  yes.  mound conference is classic.  classic!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

roy, are you saying bobby has gotten a fair shake from the players and ben as manager?
    Posted by georom4

Probably not because I'm not in there every day. However, that's not the point.

Bobby V. should be himself. If that means ripping a player in public, fine. Even if the front office says to apologize, if he doesn't think he's wrong then he shouldn't. I don't normally believe in not doing what your boss wants, but at the same time, he's not going to be successful if he tries to be something he's not.

He always seems to be backtracking, which means he's caving -- and that's on him, no one else -- or that he knew he was wrong in the first place. In either case, it makes him weak. If he believes he was right, he should stand up and say so. I think the players probably would respect him more. If he knew he was wrong, admitting it once or twice might be fine, but to do it constantly makes him look weak.

I don't think a good manager has to be one who rips players publicly. I think it's just for show. To me, weak managers do that to show how tough they are. And if you're going to be tough behind the scenes, you can be tough without being a sarcastic jerk. No one respects that.

If it is a player (or players) who is going to the front office to complain about Bobby V., if Bobby V. knows who the player he, he should bench him. If he doesn't know, the front office should tell him and not stand for players going behind the manager's back. 

The front office should back the manager. If Cherington isn't, then he is wrong, even if he didn't pick the manager, the only way for it to succeed is for the manager and GM to be a team, at least publicly and to the players. And if it's Larry who's not backing Bobby V., it's even worse.

That's why Bobby V. wasn't a good fit. A manager should be an extension of the front office and how things are done. Good teams have that working relationship. Obviously, they haven't been on the same page. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is the most appropriate response to whomever the snitch is...Doris is Pedey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoD2sQ9LiU

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BV wasn't a good fit? CC wasn't a good fit? I'm reminded of the late Chris Farley on what fits....*fat guy in a little jacket, fat guy in a little jacket* 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine smells a rat in clubhouse-Who do you think was the snitch? : Valentine raised it during that WEEI interview, which he now correctly calls "the most stupid thing I ever said on the radio."
    Posted by LloydDobler

I understand that and agree that he shouldnt have said it...But my point is, that whoever went to the FO is part of the problem...It wouldnt even be an issue if they didnt go "tell on him" for really no reason but to try and get him fired...Obviously some players/coaches want him fired and will stoop to new depths to try and get it done...This team is so dysfunctional right now and it all stems from the top...
    I dont blame BV for spouting off every once in a while, right or wrong...Thats what happens when you bring a guy in who is known for that and then try to stifle him...This FO knew what they signed up for bringin BV on board...Im not saying some of the things he says is right, Im just saying they knew what they were getting...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lollygagging(CAUTION RACIST TERMS USED !!!!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Roger Hornsby was my manager and he called me a talking pile of pigchit....lol

that might be the funniest line in the rant

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Lollygagging(CAUTION RACIST TERMS USED !!!!) http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-cidmb2mthtYJ/blazing_saddles_1974_working_on_the_railroad/
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Another classic!!! "Can't be more than a-hunderd-and-fourteen!!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

hahaha.  yes.  mound conference is classic.  classic!
    Posted by slasher9

Speaking of "mound conference." 

Check out guy'sguy.com

See the profile for Hankwilliamsjr/softyaintsoftnow

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

LL needs to go, I know that is the culprit in this whole fiasco of a team changeover. 
    1. He throws Tito under a bus after Tito stayed loyal to the team, didn't say a bad word upon his "resignation" which we all know was a staged firing.

Agree.

2. He obviously knew Theo couldn't wait to leave town either, but certainly made it easy for him to leave.

Agree, but I'm not sure that's really a problem. Why have someone around who doesn't want to be here. Yes, it's easy to focus on some of the bad signings at the end, but Theo helped bring two titles to Boston and did a lot of good in rebuilding the farm system and scouting system. So why not simply say thanks and let him move on, instead of it being a lingering distraction.

3. He did no search for GM, he simply named the next in command as GM-Cherington--who was clearly a disciple of the Theo way of doing things.

I don't see why this is an issue. Many organizations do the same thing. Current GMs often groom their replacement. It's usually thought of as a good thing. It adds stability, and despite the disfunction at then end, which might have more to do with Larry and perhaps ownership than Theo, the way Theo ran the front office had a lot of good things. In fact, you could say that the problems developed when they went away from his philosophy. 

4. When Ben decided on Sweum, LL said no. 

AGREE 100 PERCENT. This is the big problem with the team right now.

5. LL handpicked BV, a guy who was out of MLB for a decade and a guy who was always butted heads the FOs at his previous jobs. I.E--not a "team player."

AGREE. I don't think the time away was any big deal. It can work. But the problem to me was Bobby did butt heads with the front office.

6. LL all but forced Wakefield and Varitek into retirement. Both clearly wanted to contribute in 2012, both in a way could have helped, maybe in small doses, but still would have been from a clubhouse standpoint.

Was it Larry, Ben or Bobby V? I really don't know whose fingerprints are on it, I hated to see them go, but I don't really believe the team would have been better with them. The big issues with the team was injuries -- Ellbury's especially -- and underperforming early from Youk, A-Gon, Buchholz for the first six starts and Beckett and Lester. I'm not sure how Wake or Tek would have helped that.

7. LL spent more time working on the Fans and their enjoyment of the 100th anniversary of Fenway. Coming up with Tek, Wake Days and bringing back former players. It's about the only thing that he did that showed class and grace--however, some of it felt very hollow. Force a guy to retire, then have a Day for the guy first month. Maybe a cooling off period was needed on that. Awkward. 

I think this is overstated. An organization can do both -- run the baseball side and do the special events side. Also, the Sox brought back Dr. Charles to handle these events so you can't really say that's where Larry's focus was. And if it was, shouldn't that be a good thing. Don't we want the GM to make the baseball decisons?

8. So we turn to 2012 on the field, and we see dysfunction in the clubhouse, even though we have several denying that dysfunction. We definitely see a .500 team that has under-performed. LL is happy because people are jumping on Ben and jumping on BV--his fall guys.

I don't know about the last part. Larry's been taking or more flak than Ben and as much or more than Bobby V. I've constantly heard Larry being ripped all season, so he's hardly escaped blame.

9. And now we have fans turning against players--even Pedroia--saying Snitch and accusing the team's top players of being malingerers, etc. And we have BV who means well, but should basically shut his mouth and leave what's bad enough alone. Instead, he picks at the scabs to get himself off the hook.

AGREE. The first part is about the way fans turn on players is disgusting, especially the way some have turned on Pedroia. The guy plays hard, he tries to play hurt. Just because he was tight with Francona, it doesn't mean he's going to be unprofessional and turn on the manager. In all his years here, Pedroia made just ONE ill-advised comment (that's not how we do things ...) and the way some have ran with that is ridiculous. The way some have assumed that Pedroia has no character, to me says more about the character of the fan/poster. And I agree with the last part about Bobby V.

10. LL should exit his post. He is the problem and he created the problem. None of this nonsense happens under Tito's watch. Maybe the team plays .500 ball or a little better and underperforms--but it would have been without the drama.
    I'm done with LL and his way of doing things. Disaster.

I agree that Larry has at least helped create the problem, although I don't know how it's Larry's fault that some top players have underperformed and the team has had injury issues. If Ellsbury doesn't get hur and if Beckett and Lester and A-Gon (earlier in the year) were all producing like last year, would we be having this conversation. I also agree that there wouldn't be the drama under Tito. I'm not quite ready to throw Larry under the bus. In the 10 years of this ownership group, more right stuff has been done than wrong. He was part of a group that did a lot for the organization, so I'm willing to give all of them the chance to right the ship. I think ownership should have extended that courtesy to Francona. I've been a little disgusted with the short memories of some fans. On the whole, this ownership group has been infinitely better than the Yawkey Trust-Harrington regime. But a few bumps in the road and it's disgusting the way some fans have turned on them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine smells a rat in clubhouse-Who do you think was the snitch? : Well, you had a twelve page thread to "Get it" and you didn't.
    Posted by Calzone65

As usual, you make no sense.

Tongue Out

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

L.L doesnt need to go cuz he have the knowledge on how to build a good baseball team.  Look at his resume from being part of the Orioles organization, San Diego Organization as well for this current Boston's organization.  He have won three world series titles as well San Diego made to the world series in the 1990's.  He have been on winning teams more than he have been on the losing team.

He is a very talent guy.  I heard about him more than Ted Werner.  I dont know what is Ted have been doing.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LL seems to get a free pass here, from roy and softy. However, his handling of the Front office-from the day of Tito's resignation has been a comedy of errors. While I concede that the players got hurt/ and some underperformed, the environment was still somewhat poor. I think LL is the blame, and I think it's time to do a complete cleaning house of the manager/coaches and President. The GM can stay.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

LL seems to get a free pass here, from roy and softy. However, his handling of the Front office-from the day of Tito's resignation has been a comedy of errors. While I concede that the players got hurt/ and some underperformed, the environment was still somewhat poor. I think LL is the blame, and I think it's time to do a complete cleaning house of the manager/coaches and President. The GM can stay.
    Posted by dannycater

Danny, 

SERIOUSLY? DID YOU READ MY ENTIRE RESPONSE.

If you did, try going back and re-reading it. It's amazing that after reading it, you came away with the notin that I was giving him a free pass. I agreed with most of your points -- not all, but most. How is that giving him a free pass?

REALLY?

My big disagreements are: A). that you seem to think no one's blaming Larry for anything, and you couldn't be more wrong; and B) while I think he did create a lot of the problems, I'm willing to give him the chance to help turn things around because he has done a lot of good for the organization prior to the recent mess.

If you think Larry can't help turn things around and don't want to give him that chance, fine. I'm willing to give him that chane. That's hardly giving him a free pass.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

roy, the press...the press....maybe some fans, but LL has kind of been left off the hook..Henry gets more as much abuse. I don't see people calling for the end of the LL regime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Once LL decided on BV, got rid of Tito because the going was finally getting tough for the Sox, and kept the old Tito coaches, LL's integrity dropped a lot. There was no need to blow anything up....Now, people are defending BV (not you) and saying how they're ok with a .500 team just as long as Tito never comes back...It's a sick way to view things if the idea was to have this team be better in 2012, not far worse than 2011.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How can LL be trusted? He's already made his GM look bad and is seeing how wrong he was in forcing BV on Ben.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

L.L doesnt need to go cuz he have the knowledge on how to build a good baseball team.  Look at his resume from being part of the Orioles organization, San Diego Organization as well for this current Boston's organization.  He have won three world series titles as well San Diego made to the world series in the 1990's.  He have been on winning teams more than he have been on the losing team. He is a very talent guy.  I heard about him more than Ted Werner.  I dont know what is Ted have been doing.  
    Posted by GoUconn13

Who is this Ted you speak of? Is it Teddy Ballgame? UCONN? Yikes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

roy, the press...the press....maybe some fans, but LL has kind of been left off the hook..Henry gets more as much abuse. I don't see people calling for the end of the LL regime.
    Posted by dannycater

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, because whether it's from fans or the media, I've seen Larry get ripped as much as anyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Not here on this forum, and I haven't seen much in the articles. It's more about venom to the players and to BV and BC.

Sections
Shortcuts