Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

http://bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/?p=6789&srvc=home&position=recent

In an interview today with MLB Network Radio, Bobby Valentine said an “eyeball-to-eyeball” meeting with Josh Beckett is “imminent” and another with Carl Crawford has been “planned” for this weekend in Texas.

“There is no, from what I gather, any adversarial relationship with either situation,” said Valentine (Herald photo by Nancy Lane). “I just want to talk to Carl about his plan for next year. Talking to (Dustin) Pedroia, who has had a couple of text messages with him, Carl is working his butt off and doing everything he can to put up and make people shut up, and that’s all I’m asking.”

A few other highlights from the 15-minute interview:

• On the trades for closer Andrew Bailey and reliever Mark Melancon: “The deals were in the hands of Ben and his baseball department, and I think they’ve done a heck of a job of being patient, of being diligent, knowing what they want and going after it. These two guys begin to fill a very big void that it seemed like we had after (Jonathan) Papelbon left and (Daniel) Bard was given an opportunity to go into the starting staff, along with (Alfredo) Aceves, and all of a sudden we went from the cupboard being bare to a cupboard that’s plentiful and we’re all excited about.”
    • On his relationship with Bailey, with whom he has done work for the Strike 3 Foundation: “I see him off the field act the way you would want a major leaguer, or for that matter a son or father, to act. He really is an upstanding young man and when I watched him on video, or I watched him on television during his career, I’ve been extremely impressed with his competitiveness and his ability to get both right- and left-handed hitters out. Hopefully, like he said, he’s going to be healthy as this year comes on, and if he is, he’s going to be a big plus to the Boston Red Sox.”
    • On Bard making the move to the rotation: “Daniel is up for anything that’s going to help the team, and that’s a real great thing for any player to say. But I think he says it with conviction. Yet, he also said, if that starting place is available, he’d like to have the opportunity to win the (closer) spot if all other things are equal. I said there’s nothing wrong with coming to spring training, being mentally and physically ready to pitch multiple innings. In fact, if that doesn’t work out, be ready for plan 1A and that would be where you’ve been the last couple of years. He was fine with that and so am I.”
    • On Clay Buchholz’ return from his back injury: “We are sure from his lips and our doctors’ examinations that he’s 100-percent healthy. But he has not been time-tested off the mound. He hasn’t gone through the rigors of spring training, nor of a major league season. He’s going to be watched closely, not only at the beginning but at the end of 2012. Right now he says he feels great and I hope to get a chance to see him this weekend. I’m not asking him to do push-ups or sit-ups or anything. But I’ll be able to look into his eye, and when he tells me he feels great, I’ll know that he’s telling the truth. We’ll take it one step at a time. I don’t think he’s a guaranteed 200-innings guy right now, but it sure would be nice if he delivered that.

LOOKS LIKE HE IS THE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN...I LIKE THE CHARACTER COMMENTS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

I see nothing that supports your extreme views. Please explain or elaborate?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Utica...this may seem like a strange concept to you, but I actually posted this because I thought it was interesting....I knew Bobby V went to D.R. to chat with Papi, but was wondering why he had not met with Josh yet...especially in light of his color comments about his delivery...so I thought this was timely...it's probably a good sign for keeping Beckett (unless the meeting degenerates into a conflict for some reason...highly unlikely)

not everything posted is meant to show up someone or further an agenda...

learn from this grasshopper...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In an interview today with MLB Network Radio, Bobby Valentine said an “eyeball-to-eyeball” meeting with Josh Beckett is “imminent” and another with Carl Crawford has been “planned” for this weekend in Texas.

“There is no, from what I gather, any adversarial relationship with either situation,” said Valentine (Herald photo by Nancy Lane). “I just want to talk to Carl about his plan for next year. Talking to (Dustin) Pedroia, who has had a couple of text messages with him, Carl is working his butt off and doing everything he can to put up and make people shut up, and that’s all I’m asking.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

gee PikUticas..thanks for pasting what i posted....that really clears things up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

PIKE...you are the king of worthlessness...your act is so tired that 1/2 the forum has you on ignore, and the other doesnt only because they are not sure what name you are now....

what does that say about you that you have to change names every two months????

think about it...and ask for forgiveness...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

geez Bobby sure mentions Ben alot in everyone of his statements. Bobby should include Larry as well seeing he is the puppet master behind every transaction. Larry is the real GM of the Sox NOT gentle Ben. By the way Larry is doing a good job so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHs5UfcYhtA&feature=related

...we know Bobby Valentine had a say in pushing forward with the Bailey signing.

He certainly had nothing to do with either Beckett or Crawford being signed, he's just inherited them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And I thought this thread was going to be about a cornea transplant.  I'm relieved that neither Josh Beckett nor Bobby Valentine are having vision problems. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The reason he went to the DR was because of golf tournament. He said they(BV and Beckett) were fine after the phone call they had.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Pike, give it a rest man. I didn't see anything wrong with what Geo posted, and I disagree with him entirely on his general opinion about Beckett. It was just newsworthy, and he wanted to share it with the forum. I don't see your beef.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I heard Bobby is bringing a 12-Pack and a bucket of chicken with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": [QUOTE]I heard Bobby is bringing a 12-Pack and a bucket of chicken with him. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] LOL...just make sure NESN cameras are there to film it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You mean that Georom posted something that wasn't critical of the FO, is that really possible?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": [QUOTE]You mean that Georom posted something that wasn't critical of the FO, is that really possible? Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE] Well, you and I have been getting along lately. Wonders never cease. Tis the season of miracles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!:
    [QUOTE]I heard Bobby is bringing a 12-Pack and a bucket of chicken with him.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

...and a T-shirt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Unfortunately, it seems BobbyV knows little about discretion. By making these announcements he, of course, leaves it open for discussion about what transpired. Not good. Players like to feel their manager is someone they can talk to without him making public statements about it. I don't know how anyone is going to feel having a conversation that may later play out in the media. There's such a thing as TMI.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, it seems BobbyV knows little about discretion. By making these announcements he, of course, leaves it open for discussion about what transpired. Not good. Players like to feel their manager is someone they can talk to without him making public statements about it. I don't know how anyone is going to feel having a conversation that may later play out in the media. There's such a thing as TMI.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight.

Again, make no mistake about it. Bobby Valentine WILL manage this team and Josh Beckett WILL do as he suggests or he WILL be gone.

As good as Josh Beckett is? He is not running the clubhouse, the bullpen, the dugout or the rotation. Bobby Valentine is.

This meeting clearly puts the onus on Josh Beckett to "put up or shut up..." (which is what Bobby Valentine suggested Crawford was going to do based on texts messages with Dustin Pedroia.)

Again, thanks for your insight but I too know little about discretion and I call BS on you now.

Bobby V. is running this team. Not the media or the players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : Thanks for the insight. Again, make no mistake about it. Bobby Valentine WILL manage this team and Josh Beckett WILL do as he suggests or he WILL be gone. As good as Josh Beckett is? He is not running the clubhouse, the bullpen, the dugout or the rotation. Bobby Valentine is. This meeting clearly puts the onus on Josh Beckett to "put up or shut up..." (which is what Bobby Valentine suggested Crawford was going to do based on texts messages with Dustin Pedroia.) Again, thanks for your insight but I too know little about discretion and I call BS on you now. Bobby V. is running this team. Not the media or the players.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Hey, if there's ever an AH by committee on the forum, you're already on my list. No need to campaign.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I think we're getting a little too much information from Bobby V, IMO.  Some things are best left unsaid.

He's the new manager and he should reach out to players and do whatever he deems to be necessary for laying the foundation for Red Sox team success.

What's next?  Will he provide us with location updates and luncheon menus as he travels throughout Texas?

Enough already.  Just "show me the wins".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : Thanks for the insight. Again, make no mistake about it. Bobby Valentine WILL manage this team and Josh Beckett WILL do as he suggests or he WILL be gone. As good as Josh Beckett is? He is not running the clubhouse, the bullpen, the dugout or the rotation. Bobby Valentine is. This meeting clearly puts the onus on Josh Beckett to "put up or shut up..." (which is what Bobby Valentine suggested Crawford was going to do based on texts messages with Dustin Pedroia.) Again, thanks for your insight but I too know little about discretion and I call BS on you now. Bobby V. is running this team. Not the media or the players. Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE] Enough coddeling of players, time to be men. CC will prove himself worthy in 2012, hopefully Beckett will as well, and who cares about anything else? BV is exactly what this team needs right now, and Beckett is first in line. But I don't imagine there is any problem. Beckett is from Texas, down there they tell it like it is and move on. This is probably what happened with the phone call. Much ado about nothing. Beckett will kick in, or he can get lost.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I think we're getting a little too much information from Bobby V, IMO.  Some things are best left unsaid. He's the new manager and he should reach out to players and do whatever he deems to be necessary for laying the foundation for Red Sox team success. What's next?  Will he provide us with location updates and luncheon menus as he travels throughout Texas? Enough already.  Just "show me the wins".
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I agree 100%.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": Enough coddeling of players, time to be men. CC will prove himself worthy in 2012, hopefully Beckett will as well, and who cares about anything else? BV is exactly what this team needs right now, and Beckett is first in line. But I don't imagine there is any problem. Beckett is from Texas, down there they tell it like it is and move on. This is probably what happened with the phone call. Much ado about nothing. Beckett will kick in, or he can get lost.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Good observations, Examiner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, it seems BobbyV knows little about discretion. By making these announcements he, of course, leaves it open for discussion about what transpired. Not good. Players like to feel their manager is someone they can talk to without him making public statements about it. I don't know how anyone is going to feel having a conversation that may later play out in the media. There's such a thing as TMI.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

You said exactly what I've been worrying about for a while... which is that Coach V states to the media that he isn't going to say what he's not going to say (does that even make sense? why not just not say anything?).  You've got to think Beckett is already royally pisted he has to deal with this "yahoo" and probably will be more so when Coach V tells the media "I can't talk about this because Josh doesn't want me to".

I actually like Coach V but more because of what he does off the field (great human being).  His role as it relates to discussing team and player performance with the media concerns me.  Not because I think he's a yahoo or a loose cannon but because he has primadonas on the team that need coddling.  Regardless of whether they should be coddled, they're certainly going to respond negatively to the type of player-handling Coach V is known for.

And for the record I don't think they should be coddled.  I just see a confrontation coming from a mile away and I'm sure many of you do as well.  At some point Beckett is either going to accept Coach V's authori-tah or have a Texas-sized primadona meltdown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm cautiously optimistic about Valentine's approach.  Obviously it's going to be much different from Tito, but I would think V has learned from past experiences that there's a line you don't want to cross.