Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

ENJOY THE CHICKEN & BEER !!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : You said exactly what I've been worrying about for a while... which is that Coach V states to the media that he isn't going to say what he's not going to say (does that even make sense? why not just not say anything?).  You've got to think Beckett is already royally pisted he has to deal with this "yahoo" and probably will be more so when Coach V tells the media "I can't talk about this because Josh doesn't want me to". I actually like Coach V but more because of what he does off the field (great human being).  His role as it relates to discussing team and player performance with the media concerns me.  Not because I think he's a yahoo or a loose cannon but because he has primadonas on the team that need coddling.  Regardless of whether they should be coddled , they're certainly going to respond negatively to the type of player-handling Coach V is known for. And for the record I don't think they should be coddled.  I just see a confrontation coming from a mile away and I'm sure many of you do as well.  At some point Beckett is either going to accept Coach V's authori-tah or have a Texas-sized primadona meltdown.
    Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

If I were Carl and Josh, and I heard the announcement about our upcoming meeting on the air, I would take that as a confrontation as opposed to a meeting. Just puts your guard up. These are two players who don't necessarily talk to the media all that much. It's like telling them that I have the media, and this better play out the way I want it to. It's a little "Ozzie Guillen", and that's not a good thing.

I honestly think he loves the attention, and the position just gives him more access. That will probably translate into a lot more public airing of things a manager should, perhaps, keep private if he wants what's best for the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I'm cautiously optimistic about Valentine's approach.  Obviously it's going to be much different from Tito, but I would think V has learned from past experiences that there's a line you don't want to cross. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I don't know what gives you that impression. IMO he's already crossing it, or at the very least, dancing on it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Again, make no mistake.

Bobby Valentine IS the manager.

He will do what he needs to and has permission to what he will.

As for those who are already critical of him?
    1. He is part of the solution, he was hired to manage the 2012 team.
    2. He was not even a part of the resultant problems found on the 2011 team.
    3. He doesn't require tacit, implied or open approval from anyone on this forum.
    4. He will do whatever he needs to do in order to cajole, motivate, educate, expose, support, eliminate, expand or minimize his player's and their personna on the 2012 Red Sox.

Considering that he has a 2011 edition that finished 3rd in the East, I now have to wonder how many of you have any clue what sort of effort it may take to reverse the trend.

I have to laugh at some of you saying he's saying too much. Oh really? Really?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Again, make no mistake. Bobby Valentine IS the manager. He will do what he needs to and has permission to what he will. As for those who are already critical of him? 1. He is part of the solution, he was hired to manage the 2012 team. 2. He was not even a part of the resultant problems found on the 2011 team. 3. He doesn't require tacit, implied or open approval from anyone on this forum. 4. He will do whatever he needs to do in order to cajole, motivate, educate, expose, support, eliminate, expand or minimize his player's and their personna on the 2012 Red Sox. Considering that he has a 2011 edition that finished 3rd in the East, I now have to wonder how many of you have any clue what sort of effort it may take to reverse the trend. I have to laugh at some of you saying he's saying too much. Oh really? Really?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

A few people don't like Beckett because they say he's arrogant. I don't know what they're talking about. Arrogance is probably the best asset for a pitcher. I'll bet that the best pitchers in baseball were all arrogant. Arrogance is confidence. Confidence affects your ability to beat your opponent. I wouldn't want to change that attitude too much if I were a manager.

And arrogant people don't respond well to being publically called out and/or ridiculed. He's already on the record for taking shots at Josh's pitching. Same with Carl. Now he's playing out their very new relationships in the media. You're not only going to have a hard time getting a positive reaction, you're going to have a hard time getting other players to want to come here and have to deal with the same thing.

He needs to take it down a notch, and deal with his players like they're on his team, instead of this being some reality TV show. JMO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : I don't know what gives you that impression. IMO he's already crossing it, or at the very least, dancing on it.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I hear you on this, I really do.  I am also concerned about Mr. V's penchant for going public.  Like I said, cautiously optimistic that he will realize you have to be careful with this.  Maybe he's already learned something from all the chatter about his comments on Beckett & Crawford.  Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit, I dunno.  We'll see I guess.

I was a big supporter of Tito.  But I used to feel very uncomfortable sometimes with how he answered questions about players.  You could tell he was uncomfortable and he would kind of lapse into 'Titospeak', not really answering the question.  He certainly tried his best to keep things in-house and cover the players' backs.  And look what happened last year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Many posters wanted Francona gone after last season. Now we have a new manager. How about giving the guy a chance. The season hasn't even started yet. It's a little early to criticize him. He was brought here to win and hopefully he will do just that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I believe the Beckett - Bobby V. confict is much ado about nothing. These guys are too smart not to get on the same page; otherwise, they wouldn't be where they are. The chicken-beer-video game thing, while not great, was pretty much a scapegoat story that likely all teams do here and there. Just ask Ruth, TW, Mantle, Yaz, Damon, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I am sure that this is the not the announcement that a meeting will take with Beckett and CC...just a mention of the fact that it has already been scheduled and maybe that the issues we think are issues really are not Valentine's concern until he sees it is a concern.  Valentine is an up front guy and will talk to the media all year long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Bill Russell repotedly spoke with Bobby V for an hour in theDR about leadership. Russ doesn't have conversations with just anybody; very good reflection on Valentine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]Utica...this may seem like a strange concept to you, but I actually posted this because I thought it was interesting....I knew Bobby V went to D.R. to chat with Papi, but was wondering why he had not met with Josh yet...especially in light of his color comments about his delivery...so I thought this was timely...it's probably a good sign for keeping Beckett (unless the meeting degenerates into a conflict for some reason...highly unlikely) not everything posted is meant to show up someone or further an agenda... learn from this grasshopper...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

And i would say that Beckett means way more to team then Bobby V....Maybe Bobby V will beg Beckett to help him look good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

futbal...it is a good sign...Bobby V wants to set the tone that he has expectations for all his players that expects all to follow...I cant see anything negative happening as a result of this....even Beckett is not arrogant to pick a fight or be insubordinate in the first meeting with the coach...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Congrats to NHSteven on saying that it is much ado about nothing and that is the last thing that the pot stirrers wanted to hear. A Yankee fan speaking out against concern trolls, pot stirrers, trolls, pretenders. WONDERFUL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Again, make no mistake. Bobby Valentine IS the manager. He will do what he needs to and has permission to what he will. As for those who are already critical of him? 1. He is part of the solution, he was hired to manage the 2012 team. 2. He was not even a part of the resultant problems found on the 2011 team. 3. He doesn't require tacit, implied or open approval from anyone on this forum. 4. He will do whatever he needs to do in order to cajole, motivate, educate, expose, support, eliminate, expand or minimize his player's and their personna on the 2012 Red Sox. Considering that he has a 2011 edition that finished 3rd in the East, I now have to wonder how many of you have any clue what sort of effort it may take to reverse the trend. I have to laugh at some of you saying he's saying too much. Oh really? Really?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

WO:  1)  He MAY be part of the solution; 2) Obviously; 3) Obviously; 4) He will TRY to do that, yes.

I'm not unhappy with Valentine being hired...he may well do a good job and I'm optimistic that he will.  But his MLB managerial record is pedestrian, it's been 10 years since he last managed stateside....and he strikes me as POSSIBLY the best manager AVAILABLE to the Sox at the moment, not the manager we would have chosen if all managers were available.

As for the "facing down" of players (not your words).....that seems a bit old fashioned, psuedo macho, college basketball coach-y for 2012 MLB.  Does Joe Maddon do that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : WO:  1)  He MAY be part of the solution; 2) Obviously; 3) Obviously; 4) He will TRY to do that, yes. I'm not unhappy with Valentine being hired...he may well do a good job and I'm optimistic that he will.  But his MLB managerial record is pedestrian, it's been 10 years since he last managed stateside....and he strikes me as POSSIBLY the best manager AVAILABLE to the Sox at the moment, not the manager we would have chosen if all managers were available. As for the "facing down" of players (not your words).....that seems a bit old fashioned, psuedo macho, college basketball coach-y for 2012 MLB.  Does Joe Maddon do that? Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE] Keep in mind that Francona's record was also pretty pedestrian before he came to Boston. Joe Torre hadn't done much at ST. Louis either before he came to NY. You just never know. Past record doesn't always tell the story with manangers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": Keep in mind that Francona's record was also pretty pedestrian before he came to Boston. Joe Torre hadn't done much at ST. Louis either before he came to NY. You just never know. Past record doesn't always tell the story with manangers.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

You're 100% right.  Who thought Torre or Francona would have done so well (albeit with pre-existing talented rosters) given their history?

It's the "Valentine as saviour" and macho Lombardi-like assumptions I really question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : You're 100% right.  Who thought Torre or Francona would have done so well (albeit with pre-existing talented rosters) given their history? It's the "Valentine as saviour" and macho Lombardi-like assumptions I really question.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

The key to Torre and Francona's success as managers is that they were in the right place at the right time. Just about any manager could have taken the Torre Yankees or the Francona Red Sox and done as well as they did. And quite possibly better in the Sox case.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": [QUOTE]futbal...it is a good sign...Bobby V wants to set the tone that he has expectations for all his players that expects all to follow...I cant see anything negative happening as a result of this....even Beckett is not arrogant to pick a fight or be insubordinate in the first meeting with the coach... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] It's pretty obvious to me that ownership brought in Valentine to change the culture. Tito, I think, gave his players the ultimate respect in allowing them to mostly self govern. Last year, that approach - autonomy and respect - was apparently betrayed and broke down. Players including Beckett will therefore probably be managed less autonomously and more autocratically (these guys are lucky Dick Williams is no longer around).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : The key to Torre and Francona's success as managers is that they were in the right place at the right time. Just about any manager could have taken the Torre Yankees or the Francona Red Sox and done as well as they did. And quite possibly better in the Sox case.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

I agree in a sense...look at the Bill Fitch / KC Jones Celtics.  Could KC - laid back, soft-spoken, professional - have succeeded with the young Bird/McHale teams?  Doubtful.  Did Fitch's screaming eventually fall on deaf ears?  Yes.  Horses for courses, as they say.  But I don't think "just about any manager" could have led those Sox/Yanks teams to titles....lots of Sox mangers failed for nearly 9 decades, and many Yank managers for 20 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : The key to Torre and Francona's success as managers is that they were in the right place at the right time. Just about any manager could have taken the Torre Yankees or the Francona Red Sox and done as well as they did. And quite possibly better in the Sox case.

Sadly, you actually believe this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That actually sounds like a major backpedal from previous posts like (paraphrasing) 'we probably would have won five World Series if we had a real manager in the dugout' LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Francona's only contribution to the world series titles was being his usual comatose self when down 3-0 in the playoffs...he didnt panic...and that paid off....but even KC jones has two titles and the last time i checked, he was coaching in the WNBA....shoot even Mike Ditka has a super bowl coaching victory...Francona, the
    Chauncey Gardener of Sports....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hey Man, leave Dikta alone!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RLBurnside. Show RLBurnside's posts

Valentine is already starting to creep me out - there are a lot of "looking people in the eye" references, as if you can't talk to people and have a trusting, earnest conversation, you need to "look them in the eye" and make sure they aren't lying.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i started this thread about Bobby V and like a bad penny Francona turns up everywhere....can we just put him to rest now?????