Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!

In this thread many of the post have been about fans' discontent 1) with the delay deciding on and the signing of a new manager 2) lack of transactions at the GM's meeting and 3)lack of transactions at the Winter meetings. Just saw a  post that Valentine showed poor announcing his intent to personally meet with Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford in Texas. It was also suggested that Valentine, the week of his hiring press conference went to the DR to see Cavid Ortiz, but that was really only to play golf. In the Globe there were photographs of many of the attendees, including Valentine and while I have researched whether Valentine is a golfer, however, as was one of the newest timely Red Sox employees, I imagine if he had played in the tournament, there would have been photos of him playing golf, at least teeing off with his foursome. Apparently Valentine and Cherington thought it was a good idea to encourage Ortiz accepting arbitration which Ortiz must have concluded Valentine and the Red Sox care about him, as David did accept arbitration after Valentine's visit with him.  Maybe Valentine, and for that matter Cherington, will decide no matter what he does, they cannot please some of us fans, but it seems at this point they are both trying.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Beckett will offer Valentine some chicken & beer and shake his head at what Valentine says  .......   Texas style.

Crawford will just sit there, pretend to hear what Valentine says and grunt  ......... Texas style. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Francona's only contribution to the world series titles was being his usual comatose self when down 3-0 in the playoffs...he didnt panic...and that paid off....but even KC jones has two titles and the last time i checked, he was coaching in the WNBA....shoot even Mike Ditka has a super bowl coaching victory...Francona, the Chauncey Gardener of Sports....Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    I "get it" now! You created a thread, the first two words of which are "BOBBY VALENTINE" so you could continue to deride the recently departed manager. I'd wager it won't be long before we see you deriding the present manager.

It is pretty obvious georom that you hold no appreciation for Terry Francona and probably don't hold much appreciation for leadership in general.

I'd say it may present as Napoleon Complex (how tall are you?) passive-aggressiveness, control or compliance issues.

Thanks for re-stating the obvious. 

You've informed us that over the course of eight (8) seasons a field manager has no influence over personnel choices, , player analysis/utilization, in-game strategy, match-up, rotation and substitution decisions or targeted training regimens, athlete goal-setting strategy and attainment. Far be it for us to correlate between manager and win/loss percentage.

Yet! You are BV Fan #1...nice chameleon move!

Teams clearly win because anarchy reigns in the clubhouse and the dugout. Teams win purely on talent, experience and decision making among the players.

I'm caused to wonder. Have you ever been on a winning team or have you ever coached athletes with any success in your life? Your opinions are equal to mine. Worthless.

Thanks for allowing me to vent poppa Red Sox. Nice badge you wear. Did you wear your Tom Brady shirt during the day and your Paul Pierce shirt tonight?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Francona was a terrible manager, just as KC Jones was....the Celtics would have had six championships if they had switched coaches with the Lakers during the 80s....Francona inherited a championship team (if not for Grady Little) and then rode that talent to two third place finishes and the most epic collapse of all time...

Don't give up your day job WO, you don't make much of a therapist...actually, I take that back - your last post was classic psychobabble with no meaning and 

Also, nice job with the character assasination....Pike would be proud...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Meanwhile Georom's good buddy Andrewmitch is fascinated with comparing Carl Crawford with the right fielder on the Bad News Bears movie filmed in 1976. Andrew thinks that he is so clever to equate CC with Timmy Lupus. This is stuff that impresses minds like Burrito, Bosox1941, and Georom.  Notice that the forum is quiet because they have had their fill of Softlaw, Law, Bosox1941, Yazzer, Babe, Georom, and Burrito.  I'll bet these guys love the Timmy Lupus comparison.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Francona was a terrible manager, just as KC Jones was....the Celtics would have had six championships if they had switched coaches with the Lakers during the 80s....Francona inherited a championship team (if not for Grady Little) and then rode that talent to two third place finishes and the most epic collapse of all time... Don't give up your day job WO, you don't make much of a therapist...actually, I take that back - your last post was classic psychobabble with no meaning and  Also, nice job with the character assasination....Pike would be proud...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Dude, you pen a thread focused on Terry Francona by putting Bobby Valentine's name in the Headline, have assasinated the former coach for months and tell me I assasinated you? lol...that's almost illogically foolish.
    How can one person on a thread assasinate another when the later is an idiot such as yourself? Riddle me that short man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : I hear you on this, I really do.  I am also concerned about Mr. V's penchant for going public.  Like I said, cautiously optimistic that he will realize you have to be careful with this.  Maybe he's already learned something from all the chatter about his comments on Beckett & Crawford.  Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit, I dunno.  We'll see I guess. I was a big supporter of Tito.  But I used to feel very uncomfortable sometimes with how he answered questions about players.  You could tell he was uncomfortable and he would kind of lapse into 'Titospeak', not really answering the question.  He certainly tried his best to keep things in-house and cover the players' backs.  And look what happened last year.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Let's hope he's not getting too much into his new role as portrayed by the media. They're expecting him to be a lot tougher on the players and with that, could come a price. We may wind up with more Papelbons. Gone before you can do anything about it.

I loved Tito. His evasiveness with the media, IMO, was a good thing. What wasn't a good thing was, possibly, being the same way behind the scenes. I believe the best managers don't air things out publically, but do behave in a different manner privately. Thats the way it should be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : And i would say that Beckett means way more to team then Bobby V....Maybe Bobby V will beg Beckett to help him look good.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

That's actually not far from the truth. Something he, perhaps, hasn't figured out yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Congrats to NHSteven on saying that it is much ado about nothing and that is the last thing that the pot stirrers wanted to hear. A Yankee fan speaking out against concern trolls, pot stirrers, trolls, pretenders. WONDERFUL.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

See? This is why we need that eye roll emoticon that I've been asking for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : See? This is why we need that eye roll emoticon that I've been asking for. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] Bobby V can handle the Boston media, Kim, which as you clearly realize, is as important as those little x's and o's we all talk about...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!!": Bobby V can handle the Boston media, Kim, which as you clearly realize, is as important as those little x's and o's we all talk about...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

No one is suggesting that he can't handle the Boston media. On the contrary, I think it's his forte. But like I've said, there's such a thing as too much information. He needs to understand that the players aren't his adversaries. It's not a one-upmanship. He needs to protect them, and their reputations. They are all on the same team now whether he understands that or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : Dude, you pen a thread focused on Terry Francona by putting Bobby Valentine's name in the Headline, have assasinated the former coach for months and tell me I assasinated you? lol...that's almost illogically foolish. How can one person on a thread assasinate another when the later is an idiot such as yourself? Riddle me that short man.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

there was nothing in this original thread that ven mentioned Francona...the title and link were proived by the article itself....however when morons like yourself decide to inject some nonsense in it about the good old days, expect to be bitchslapped...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]Utica...this may seem like a strange concept to you, but I actually posted this because I thought it was interesting....I knew Bobby V went to D.R. to chat with Papi, but was wondering why he had not met with Josh yet...especially in light of his color comments about his delivery...so I thought this was timely...it's probably a good sign for keeping Beckett (unless the meeting degenerates into a conflict for some reason...highly unlikely) not everything posted is meant to show up someone or further an agenda... learn from this grasshopper...

Well said, and yes, I like the emphasis on character too. What's wrong with going to a high paid player who bombed his first year and asking what he is planning to do to rectify the situation? Sounds like proactive, intelligent managing to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : there was nothing in this original thread that ven mentioned Francona...the title and link were proived by the article itself....however when morons like yourself decide to inject some nonsense in it about the good old days, expect to be bitchslapped...

Wow, barely into the new year and people are already calling each other names.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

JV: hey Josh, how's it goin? JB: What's up skip? Good to see ya. You ready for the zoo known as Boston? JV: Yeah, can' t be any worse than the media in New York. You got an extra cold one? JB: You're forgetting about the fans. Some of them are pretty crazy. Bud light ok? JV: Bud Light will work. I hear you about the fans. At least they fill the stadium. JB: better hope Ben and company do a better job giving you a rotation then theo did last year. Otherwise, you'll be hearing from that filled stadium. JV: It looks like we'll were solid in the first 3 spots, but after that, it's anybody's guess. JB: Reclamaition projects again? JV: Looks that way. I think they're looking to trade for a young starter. We'll see. JV: By the way, how's the ankle? JB: It's fine-100 percent. JV: sorry about the raw deal you got. Not sure who talked about the beer and chicken. I know it's all bs. Show up to spring training healthy and pitch like you did last year and we'll be ok.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

MEMO to BLIND HOMERS:  Beckett needs to pitch better than last year. Please stop being blind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : You said exactly what I've been worrying about for a while... which is that Coach V states to the media that he isn't going to say what he's not going to say (does that even make sense? why not just not say anything?).  You've got to think Beckett is already royally pisted he has to deal with this "yahoo" and probably will be more so when Coach V tells the media "I can't talk about this because Josh doesn't want me to". I actually like Coach V but more because of what he does off the field (great human being).  His role as it relates to discussing team and player performance with the media concerns me.  Not because I think he's a yahoo or a loose cannon but because he has primadonas on the team that need coddling.  Regardless of whether they should be coddled , they're certainly going to respond negatively to the type of player-handling Coach V is known for. And for the record I don't think they should be coddled.  I just see a confrontation coming from a mile away and I'm sure many of you do as well.  At some point Beckett is either going to accept Coach V's authori-tah or have a Texas-sized primadona meltdown.
    Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's "Manager V."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]MEMO to BLIND HOMERS:  Beckett needs to pitch better than last year . Please stop being blind.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Memo to blind complainers.

Beckett was just fine from April to August. He needs to pitch better in September.

September was bad enough. There's no need to exagerate the rest of the year. Why the need to make things up. It's ridiculous. 

At the end of August, Beckett was 12-5 with a 2.54 ERA. I know everyone is pssed at him because of September but at least look intelligent enough to recognize excellent pitching when it's staring you in the face. And he could have had at least a half dozen more wins. In 10 no-decisions, he had a 1.92 ERA. If that's not great pitching, then I guess there's no such thing as great pitching.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

[QUOTE]JV: hey Josh, how's it goin? JB: What's up skip? Good to see ya. You ready for the zoo known as Boston? JV: Yeah, can' t be any worse than the media in New York. You got an extra cold one? JB: You're forgetting about the fans. Some of them are pretty crazy. Bud light ok? JV: Bud Light will work. I hear you about the fans. At least they fill the stadium. JB: better hope Ben and company do a better job giving you a rotation then theo did last year. Otherwise, you'll be hearing from that filled stadium. JV: It looks like we'll were solid in the first 3 spots, but after that, it's anybody's guess. JB: Reclamaition projects again? JV: Looks that way. I think they're looking to trade for a young starter. We'll see. JV: By the way, how's the ankle? JB: It's fine-100 percent. JV: sorry about the raw deal you got. Not sure who talked about the beer and chicken. I know it's all bs. Show up to spring training healthy and pitch like you did last year and we'll be ok.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]     Great post!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : Memo to blind complainers. Beckett was just fine from April to August. He needs to pitch better in September. September was bad enough. There's no need to exagerate the rest of the year. Why the need to make things up. It's ridiculous.  At the end of August, Beckett was 12-5 with a 2.54 ERA. I know everyone is pssed at him because of September but at least look intelligent enough to recognize excellent pitching when it's staring you in the face. And he could have had at least a half dozen more wins. In 10 no-decisions, he had a 1.92 ERA. If that's not great pitching, then I guess there's no such thing as great pitching.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Very true.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]MEMO to BLIND HOMERS:  Beckett needs to pitch better than last year . Please stop being blind.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Beckett was the #2 SP in the AL behind only Verlander when he hurt his ankle.  I don't think it is possible for him to pitch any better than he did last year, pre-injury.  When he limped off the mound in the 4th inning on 9/5, he was 12-5, with a 2.49 ERA, and a Whip < 1.00.  We had won 19 of his 27 starts despite us only scoring 3.87 per game for him.

If you think he's going to pitch better than that, you will be disappointed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine to meet Josh Beckett EYEBALL to EYEBALL!!!! : define ''not good '' Valentine 'did backflips' after Beckett meeting PENNSAUKEN, N.J. -- Speaking at new Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey's 'Bailey Bowl' event at Pinsetter Bar & Bowl Saturday night, Sox manager Bobby Valentine discussed his recent meeting with pitcher Josh Beckett. "It was real long," he said of the Jan. 1 get-together at Beckett's San Antonio-area ranch. "We missed the whole (Kansas City vs. Denver) football game." Asked if he was pleased with the outcome of the get-together, Valentine said, "I did backflips." He then admitted to viewing Beckett in a different way than what he had been used to in previous encounters. "I knew that look from walking in the clubhouse, or on game day when he'd sit on the bench before the game. You know that look? For 2 1/2 hours he came out, asking questions." Valentine explained that many of the meetings he has had with Red Sox players have offered similar results. "Everybody I've met -- and that's why I do it -- I've had a different impression," he said. Valentine said that along with visiting with Beckett, he also recently met with Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz while in Arizona. Earlier in the offseason, Valentine admitted that his first phone conversation with Beckett upon joining the organization had it's tense moments. According to the manager, the pitcher initially relayed some displeasure with comments made by the former ESPN analyst regarding Beckett's deliberate pace. sounds  '' good'' 2 me
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I'll define "not good". You posting on this board "not good".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I am trying to figure out why a journalist from a Newark newspaper is so obsessed over what happened during a conversation between a Red Sox manager and pitcher in Texas on New Years Day. Why not interview Cashman to find out if his New Years Day dinner was enjoyable and what football games he watched?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I am trying to figure out why a journalist from a Newark newspaper is so obsessed over what happened during a conversation between a Red Sox manager and pitcher in Texas on New Years Day. Why not interview Cashman to find out if his New Years Day dinner was enjoyable and what football games he watched?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
    The village scold expands the village.

Sections
Shortcuts