Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013

Of couse its my opinion and not fact, but heres why I think he will be back...
    The players seem to be warming up to him as well as the fans...Maybe some of you that disagree and just dont like him, can agree with me on this point.
    If the Sox are, and have been interested in getting John Farrell as a manager in Boston, then how much sense would it make for a team that has to re-tool this winter and will most definately come into 2013 as a complete underdog to go anywhere, change there manager and coaching staff if the next year you have to do it all over again with the possibility of obtaining Farrell in 2014?
    You keep BV here to work with some of the young kids, which hes good at talent evaluation IMO. see Morales as starter, didnt want Bard as one. Liked Ciriaco in ST and said Iggy needed more time in AAA. he was right about everyone.
    I think you let your other coaches decide if they want to stay for another year or leave. Tuck and mags wanted out this year and were denied. Or just give BV his choice of coaches.
    If they are able to get farrell in 2014, then contracts are up and you bring in the new manager and coaching staff at that time. Why create more drama when you dont have to? After all, BV wasnt here last Sept. and now that the FO as looked like they closed down the country club ie; Aceves suspension, we should let BV run the team under better conditions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013

In Response to Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013:
    [QUOTE]Of couse its my opinion and not fact, but heres why I think he will be back... The players seem to be warming up to him as well as the fans...Maybe some of you that disagree and just dont like him, can agree with me on this point. If the Sox are, and have been interested in getting John Farrell as a manager in Boston, then how much sense would it make for a team that has to re-tool this winter and will most definately come into 2013 as a complete underdog to go anywhere, change there manager and coaching staff if the next year you have to do it all over again with the possibility of obtaining Farrell in 2014? You keep BV here to work with some of the young kids, which hes good at talent evaluation IMO. see Morales as starter, didnt want Bard as one. Liked Ciriaco in ST and said Iggy needed more time in AAA. he was right about everyone. I think you let your other coaches decide if they want to stay for another year or leave. Tuck and mags wanted out this year and were denied. Or just give BV his choice of coaches. If they are able to get farrell in 2014, then contracts are up and you bring in the new manager and coaching staff at that time. Why create more drama when you dont have to? After all, BV wasnt here last Sept. and now that the FO as looked like they closed down the country club ie; Aceves suspension, we should let BV run the team under better conditions.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

dumbest thing in the world to have a manger who cannot select their own coaches. you dont see that.and dysfunctional to not support your own manager in player decisions and disputes. players will never respect or play for that manager thereafter, wont develop a relationship with them. add to that a manger coming in to clean house and change the asylum nature. you wonder why things got toxic and blew up

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yup, exaactly bred. I think BV should get a clean year with all the distractions gone and his own coaches. Even if for only one year. He was NEVER given a fair shake this year, and whether you like him or not have to admit at least that much...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i agree with all that. i dont know if its smart to keep him or to change.
    went from a manager who just makes players feel good (at the expense of holding them accountable) to a manger is smart as hell, especially at evaluating players, and who cares not at all about how a player feels (sometimes at the expense of the benefit of the long run).

it just would have been better from teh start if gm/ownership didnt hamstring the effort from the start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Absolutely, he should NOT be back for next year.  In fact, he should have been fired on July 1st (when the season might have been saved) and probably now back working for ESPN or just sitting home and thinking about ballroom dancing.  Too bad for the team and the fans that ownership would not make an admission that Valentine was a huge mistake.

Please do not think that getting rid of three high priced salaries and a victory over the Royals yesterday has made Valentine a good choice for next year.

His shortcomings have been in full view all year long, and they will not change because four guys are now playing for the Dodgers or that Shoppach is playing for the Mets.  He still has not earned the trust or respect of his players, he still has made terrible in-game mistakes and his mouth has still not been sewn shut.

He did get thrown out of the game yesterday, but he has not even been able to get thrown out of every game he has wanted to this season.  He failed to get tossed a couple of weeks ago by a first base ump and was left to crawl back to the dugout.

If the Sox ar finally making decisions and changes based on what has not worked, Valentine needs to be at the top of the list this morning.  The idea that he is going to be successful next season because he was not successful this season is beyond me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Keep Valentine.

I almost never post on the Sox board but those who would have kept the poison pill players over the manager can't see the real problem.  This same lazy, self entitled behavior happened last year under Tito's watch as well... and the players loved that guy?

Time for tough love, Bobby is the guy to administer it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Most signs point to BV's return. If that happens, he and Cherrington and Lucchino should come to a firm agreement about the chain of command and a division of responsibilities. Otherwise there will be more of the same.
    If, as averred, "some" players are not "happy" with BV, they should air their complaints privately with him during the offseason, and he with them if he has complaints. Since more personnel changes may be coming, these "summit meetings," if any are necessary, probably won't occur until near ST.
    The manager should be allowed to select his own coaches. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013:
    [QUOTE]Of couse its my opinion and not fact, but heres why I think he will be back... The players seem to be warming up to him as well as the fans...Maybe some of you that disagree and just dont like him, can agree with me on this point. If the Sox are, and have been interested in getting John Farrell as a manager in Boston, then how much sense would it make for a team that has to re-tool this winter and will most definately come into 2013 as a complete underdog to go anywhere, change there manager and coaching staff if the next year you have to do it all over again with the possibility of obtaining Farrell in 2014? You keep BV here to work with some of the young kids, which hes good at talent evaluation IMO. see Morales as starter, didnt want Bard as one. Liked Ciriaco in ST and said Iggy needed more time in AAA. he was right about everyone. I think you let your other coaches decide if they want to stay for another year or leave. Tuck and mags wanted out this year and were denied. Or just give BV his choice of coaches. If they are able to get farrell in 2014, then contracts are up and you bring in the new manager and coaching staff at that time. Why create more drama when you dont have to? After all, BV wasnt here last Sept. and now that the FO as looked like they closed down the country club ie; Aceves suspension, we should let BV run the team under better conditions.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Careful Southpaw....DannyCater will be exploding on this thread very very soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : Careful Southpaw....DannyCater will be exploding on this thread very very soon.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Good post. You mentioned Bard. Is he in the witness protection progam? the guy must be able to get his head on straight. A personal opinion only, but I also feel the Sox will go after Farrell. The Toronto ownership becomes wealthier every year as both US and Canadian dollars are near par. Thy won't give up without a fight, but my guess is tha JF would return if asked... hopefully in 2014 when his contract has expired the previous season. Toronto would be smart to lock Farrell up now for a few years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I have no doubt that Valentine will manage the Sox in 2013. I just doubt it's a good idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I have no doubt that Valentine will manage the Sox in 2013. I just doubt it's a good idea.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Well, I've defended Bobby V, but am far less sure he will be back.  Sending Youk, Shoppach, Beckett, et al, away says he will be back, and the FO will not like having 3 managers in 3 seasons, but I still think they will think hard in the offseason.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

I think BV is a goner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Once again, re run the season exactly as it unfolded this year with 2 exceptions. Reverse the records of Beckett and Lester and the Sox are neck and neck with the Yankees for first place. To me this is a testament to the managing abilities of Valentine. He's forgotten more about managing a baseball team than Francona and Farrell ever knew ! !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

no serious person can say BV is to blame for this yr...the wholesale slaughter/trade of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is proof that Ben C, LL, and henry realized that THEY were to blame for the team's woes by allowing Beckett/inmates to run ther asylum and tying the manager's hands with his own coaching staff....seriously what is the point of hiring a manager if the players can call meetings to complain about him and if managment enboldens players to contermand his authority???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]no serious person can say BV is to blame for this yr...the wholesale slaughter/trade of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is proof that Ben C, LL, and henry realized that THEY were to blame for the team's woes by allowing Beckett/inmates to run ther asylum and tying the manager's hands with his own coaching staff....seriously what is the point of hiring a manager if the players can call meetings to complain about him and  managments enboldens players to contermand his authority???
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Georom4, I usually agree with your posts, but this year is the result of poor pitching by the #1 and #2 starters, period. If everything that happened stayed the same, and we just reverse Beckett's and Laster's records, we're battling the Yankees for 1st place in the east.  If that were the case, the manager and the front office would be considered great. Beckett and Leaster didn't perform up to their previous standards, therein lies the problem. Nothing else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I like to see fairness.  And fairness to me is letting Bobby V have his own coaches and a whole season to prove he is a good manager.  Ben C and company sabotaged Valentine this season, and then failed to back him up until the season was already lost.  And the facination with Farrell absolutely escapes me.  Maybe while Beckett and Lackey, Pedroia and Agon were trying to run things it made sense to bring in someone that they had respected and feared, but has anyone noticed?  Toronto has a lot of talent and plays a distinctly poor brand of baseball.  And Farrell has had the opportunity to bring in anyone he wanted to help him coach his band of miscreants.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

BOSOX41...

but beckett and Lester were allowed to languish in mediocrity, with no real consequences for their pitching anf in fact, players like Youk, Pedroia, Agon, and others were allowed to circumvent team rules/chain of command to backstab their own manager....how can that environment lead to on field success....I agree that lester and Beckett WERE the main reasons, but that toxic situation is on management for allowing it to kill the 2011 season and then doing nothing in 2012 until the trade...seriously how many times did i tell all of you, especially JoeyB that Beckett was a cancer to the team and would be gone in 2013 because he NEVER got it and refused to man up about what he did to hs beloved Francona.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

If he is here, that will merely mean that the Sox do not intend to be in contention next year.  BV is a safe manager who doesn't PO the FO or do things that cast the team in a bad light.  With the exit of the big 3 to LA, things should be fun (and maybe even competitive) next year with a different approach from the players.  This winter will tell the story.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I never had a problem w/ BV but I think after pressing the reset button the other day he probably needs to go after the season as part of the purge. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]BOSOX41... but beckett and Lester were allowed to languish in mediocrity, with no real consequences for their pitching anf in fact, players like Youk, Pedroia, Agon, and others were allowed to circumvent team rules/chain of command to backstab their own manager....how can that environment lead to on field success....I agree that lester and Beckett WERE the main reasons, but that toxic situation is on management for allowing it to kill the 2011 season and then doing nothing in 2012 until the trade...seriously how many times did i tell all of you, especially JoeyB that Beckett was a cancer to the team and would be gone in 2013 because he NEVER got it and refused to man up about what he did to hs beloved Francona.....

To say that Beckett was the cause of Francona's failure, is nonsense, unless you believe that Francona was at one time a good baseball manager. He was not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lol Bosox41......Beckett exploited for everyone to see what a NONmamager Francona was....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]lol Bosox41......Beckett exploited for everyone to see what a NONmamager Francona was....

Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

If the FO is truly intent on bringing Farrell in, then keeping BobbyV for next year would make the most sense.

That said, I strongly believe that he needs to go.  I agree that he was never really given a fair shake, but he certainly didn't help his cause any.

If this team really wants a fresh start, they have to let Bobby go.  I don't see the leopard suddenly changing his spots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the fresh start needed to be done in 2011...everyone in the front office was in denial

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ws2012. Show Ws2012's posts

If a manager gets to use not having his own coaches as a defense, the the GM gets the same consideration for not having his own manager. BV agreed to accept the coaches. If he did not like it he should have not taken the job. If he felt he could not succeed with then then he should have resigned. He made his bed.