Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013

In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013:
    [QUOTE]Keep Valentine. I almost never post on the Sox board but those who would have kept the poison pill players over the manager can't see the real problem.  This same lazy, self entitled behavior happened last year under Tito's watch as well... and the players loved that guy? Time for tough love, Bobby is the guy to administer it. Correct. The Red Sox owership has just begin the Chapter 11 process. Valentine isn't young, but his contract runs one more year and he should finish the dirty job he was hired to do. Break up the frathouse. AGon was a falsely projected scapegoat, as there is no way he ran the new frathouse he walked into in 2011. AGon was sacrificed to get rid of two serious problems, Beckett and Crawford. The entire GM nonsense and cleanup has been embarrassing, but at least Beckett is gone. The Red Sox need to be ready to bring in a young manager for 2014, as it's unlikely Valentine will have the energy to continue after finished up the hazmat job he was hired to do. No valid value reason to fire Valentine, with one year left on his short contract. Simply let him finish the ground zero clean-up and wait until the end of 2013 to decide on who the manger will be for 2014 and forward. If Valentine has the team playing to it's potential, extend him. If not, thank him for the dirty work that Tito couldn't or wouldn't clean up.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

thans for getting those truths out of the way (i dont have ot post them again).

2 minor differnces or 1 and 1 potential.

while agon was not the heart of teh enrgy for the dissension, as the "in house lawyer", he was the voice of the dissenters.

2ndly, even after the cleanup is complete, im not sure this team is the  best place for a young gm in my opinion. youthful or young energy would be great, but it needs to be a leader with discipline and the ability to enforce it, hopefully not becoming the bad guy (this is largely determined by teh gm and the ownership not allowing the players to subvert the manger). but  a young guy would more likely be able to be susceptable to crafty players (or powerful ones) using their wiles (or influence)  to get their own way

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]As we saw, Valentine couldn't clean up the clubhouse any more than Francona could, not with the support or lack thereof from upper management. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

they undermined him. no manger could have cleaned anything up under those conditions

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I have no doubt he will be here. He has made good line-up and on--the-field decisions all year. Also, he has earned, and gotten, a lot more respect from his players as the year has gone on. Anybody can see this team of the last 4 days is a very different team than it was before the "cleansing". They are relaxed and alive, and will win a lot more games than they lose for the rest of this season. I expect Dice K, Lester and Buchholz will be fine. I think Doubrant needs to grow up a little, before he can be trusted not to implode somewhere around innings 4 and 5. Ellsbury is more relaxed, Ciriaco is liking finding gold, and several others are beginning to pay attention. Next year it will come doen to pitching---pitching and pitching. Not the manager.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

" They are relaxed and alive, and will win a lot more games than they lose for the rest of this season.  "

i know, it's becomng exciting again right after this; on the team, and in me :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I have no doubt he will be here. He has made good line-up and on--the-field decisions all year. Also, he has earned, and gotten, a lot more respect from his players as the year has gone on. Anybody can see this team of the last 4 days is a very different team than it was before the "cleansing". They are relaxed and alive, and will win a lot more games than they lose for the rest of this season. I expect Dice K, Lester and Buchholz will be fine. I think Doubrant needs to grow up a little, before he can be trusted not to implode somewhere around innings 4 and 5. Ellsbury is more relaxed, Ciriaco is liking finding gold, and several others are beginning to pay attention. Next year it will come doen to pitching---pitching and pitching. Not the manager.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

youve got it exaclty.

i love this:
    " Ciriaco is liking finding gold, "

well put

Next year it will come doen to pitching---pitching and pitching. 

exaclty right!

Not the manager.

here i differ a little.
    manager can demoralize a team
    can inspire a team

can make strategic moves that affect the season (going with one player over another) and a game (in game decisions).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : Nick Punto has never been an All-Star, idiot.
    Posted by TheRealPedroCiriaco[/QUOTE]

just subtract the insult/namecalling at the end of post.

(let's respect ourselves and one another)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]As we saw, Valentine couldn't clean up the clubhouse any more than Francona could, not with the support or lack thereof from upper management.   In fact, Valentine is doing what Tito wouldn't do, fingering the problem veterans and telling upper management to get rid of them at the soonest best window. That Cherry was late and desperate in cleaning up the very mess he was a part of creating is not a reflection on Valentine or ownership.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

agreedd, excpet cherry is the face, not the decisionmakeer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : After spending the last year screaming about CRAW - BURY, softy doesn't even have the STONES to step up and salute THIS GM for pulling the trigger.  After whining & moaning, crying, gnashing of teethe about Beckett, he remains his sackless self, & can't step up & congratulate THIS GM for ridding this team of the Beckett contract. YES!  We all know A-Gon is a great player, & his absence will be felt, but without unloading him the Red Sox are saddled with Beckett & Crawford for the next 3 & 5 years. This $$$$ will buy us at least 4 - 6 high value players!!! PERIOD! Of course that requires smart buys & GOOD trades! Lackey still must go, & that will likely cost some money? Maybe BC can have lightning strike twice???? Softy would bash the Red Sox if their GM was the guy ridding the world of Smallpox!!! This is the single best move in the last 3 years!  It's a reset.  THAT's ALL IT IS!  NO MORE!!!!   NOW........  Will the fans be patient in the rebuilding process.  We know softy will grasp at straws, desperately looking for something HE GOT RIGHT!  Whining ad nauseum like a little girl....... Who's gonna join the soft one!? Real RS fans! We will pray for sound baseball decisions!  Softy will bi tch & moan, pretending to be a RS fan. I thought I didn't like Nancy Drew??? Softy takes the cake.
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

is all the warring back and forth really necessary..
    i agree with your baseball assessment.
    let's not demean little girld, women or anyone else.
    keep up the baseball insights

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]This will be my ninth post, learn to count please. Anyways, Bobby Valentine will not be here next here. He doesn't get along with coaches, players, or fans. My vote goes to Don Baylor, bring in somebody who will really shake things up.
    Posted by TheRealPedroCiriaco[/QUOTE]

i doubt anyone would give baylor sh@t

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lots of good answers here...looks like the edge goes to BV here in 2013, unless a long-term solution (Farrell?) is inked...Which would be the smartest move...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Lots of good answers here...looks like the edge goes to BV here in 2013, unless a long-term solution (Farrell?) is inked...Which would be the smartest move...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

as some have implied or said, farrell is  anice pitching coach, but a top manger? jury is out on that. 

i'm thinking the maddon traineee. we should have gotten maddon years ago instead of passing because the ownership wanted a manger who would be a yes man (tito)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : as some have implied or said, farrell is  anice pitching coach, but a top manger? jury is out on that.  i'm thinking the maddon traineee. we should have gotten maddon years ago instead of passing because the ownership wanted a manger who would be a yes man (tito)
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Was Francona a "top manager" before coming to Boston and  managing a clubhouse filled with big contacts and a few egos to 2 WSC? He may have not always made the right moves on the field, but he kept that clubhouse in order and shielded the players from the Boston media, which in and of itself is quite a feat...It depends on the personalities in that clubhouse and the manager and how he interacts with all of them. Sometimes the most unlikely candidate is the one who does the best...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : Was Francona a "top manager" before coming to Boston and  managing a clubhouse filled with big contacts and a few egos to 2 WSC? He may have not always made the right moves on the field, but he kept that clubhouse in order and shielded the players from the Boston media, which in and of itself is quite a feat...It depends on the personalities in that clubhouse and the manager and how he interacts with all of them. Sometimes the most unlikely candidate is the one who does the best...

tito i am grteful for in teh ealry years. he was very good at keeping guys feeeling good about themselves. that in itself is a talent. it worked for a few years. if we had maddon, i think we would have done better every year all these yeanrs and would not have metled down last year. maybe even won the whole thing. maddon is jsut more than twice the mgr tito is. lov tito. great guy. maddon is just better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

maddon has won no WS, Tito 2...just counting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]maddon has won no WS, Tito 2...just counting.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

do you know the difference between the boston red sox and tampa bay?
    if so, you would know what you are saying is silly.

try this puzzle. put francona on tampa for all teh years maddon was there adn maddon here. if you are observant of which team had who (which it seems you are not, because everyone in baseball knows how miraculaous a job maddon does with mashed potatoes), you will understand the difference

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, exaactly bred. I think BV should get a clean year with all the distractions gone and his own coaches. Even if for only one year. He was NEVER given a fair shake this year, and whether you like him or not have to admit at least that much...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE
    I like Bobby V. in the beginning, but he hasn't shown up until this point that he is world class leader in the clubhouse. I think he has added to the drama this season rather than nip it in the bud.
    That being said, I don't thing the owners ever gave him the chance or the backup to actually lead the team. They wouldn't let him hire his own staff and they kept the same group of players that was a big part of the problem last year. So, in a way, given those parameters, I could understand why Valentine seemed disengaged.
    I doubt he'll be here next season, but if he is, I hope the Sox schedule has more afternoon than evening games. Most nights..Valentine seems to be half asleep once that clock hits 9pm.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : do you know the difference between the boston red sox and tampa bay? if so, you would know what you are saying is silly. try this puzzle. put francona on tampa for all teh years maddon was there adn maddon here. if you are observant of which team had who (which it seems you are not, because everyone in baseball knows how miraculaous a job maddon does with mashed potatoes), you will understand the difference
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the Billy Beane fan? So that's 2 individuals who are vastly over-rated--Beane and Maddon. They haven't won anything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : Aren't you the Billy Beane fan? So that's 2 individuals who are vastly over-rated--Beane and Maddon. They haven't won anything.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

danny, last night on the ESPN game, Rays/Rangers, one of the announcers said Maddon was the best manager in the game because of what he's accomplished, year after year. It's the pitching stupid. the Rays success is due to the rotation, bullpen and Rodney. If anyone deserves the credit, it's Hickey. He's the one that's keeps them in the game. The manager gets the credit when things are going well, the first to go is usually the pitching coach, when things go south

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

JBAY, Maddon uses 7 pitchers every game. He's going to kill his pen, and he's already done it in other seasons. It is the Rays pitching. Always has been. Maddon sent up a .170 hitter to hit the biggest clutch hit in Rays history last year. That's how bad his offense is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : danny, last night on the ESPN game, Rays/Rangers, one of the announcers said Maddon was the best manager in the game because of what's he's accomplished year after year. It's the pitching stupid. the Rays success is due to the rotation, bullpen and Rodney. If anyone deserves the credit, it's Hickey. He's the one that's kept them in the game. The manager gets the credit when things are going well, the first to go is usually the pitching coach, when things go south
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Bob McClure...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ask the Philly fans about Francona...then duck...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ask the Philly fans about JD Drew. now take cover.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : Was Francona a "top manager" before coming to Boston and  managing a clubhouse filled with big contacts and a few egos to 2 WSC? He may have not always made the right moves on the field, but he kept that clubhouse in order and shielded the players from the Boston media, which in and of itself is quite a feat...It depends on the personalities in that clubhouse and the manager and how he interacts with all of them. Sometimes the most unlikely candidate is the one who does the best...
    Dr. Phil could have kept the clubhouse in order, and sadly he also would have done a better job on the field during games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]ask the Philly fans about Francona...then duck...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

It may be just a rumor, but I've heard that Philly fans have anti-aircraft weapons set up in case Francona ever flies over the city.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : It may be just a rumor, but I've heard that Philly fans have anti-aircraft weapons set up in case Francona ever flies over the city.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

on cue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Valentine WILL be here in 2013 : [QUOTE]Yup, exaactly bred. I think BV should get a clean year with all the distractions gone and his own coaches. Even if for only one year. He was NEVER given a fair shake this year, and whether you like him or not have to admit at least that much... Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE I like Bobby V. in the beginning, but he hasn't shown up until this point that he is world class leader in the clubhouse. I think he has added to the drama this season rather than nip it in the bud. That being said, I don't thing the owners ever gave him the chance or the backup to actually lead the team. They wouldn't let him hire his own staff and they kept the same group of players that was a big part of the problem last year. So, in a way, given those parameters, I could understand why Valentine seemed disengaged. I doubt he'll be here next season, but if he is, I hope the Sox schedule has more afternoon than evening games. Most nights..Valentine seems to be half asleep once that clock hits 9pm.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

personally, I dont think ANY manager would have succeeded with this team this year, thats why I think they should let him stay under much better conditions next year. That is unless they find a long-term replacement, not just a filler lame duck manager.
    if the team wants a new guy, then make sure its for at least 4yrs with a completely new coaching staff...