Bobby Valentine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Bobby Valentine

With the red sox doing poorly I thought I would open up something for discussion.  The Red Sox give out World Series rings to most everyone on the payroll.  They brought back guys from 04 who never played a game and were on the dl all that season.

Bobby V. was on the payroll last season, did he get his WS ring?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine

Good morning Steve,

There is no reason to hold grudges.  Bobby was instrumental in helping us understand and make connections that brought us the sensation from Japan known here as Dice-K.  And no matter what his later value to the team, his 18-3 season was of great help.

Bobby should have been kept as a consultant and not bridged over to manager.  My Mets fans friends were universally anti-Bobby as a manager.

Give the old man a ring.  We just lost our shared treasure in Zim.  What could it hurt?

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good morning Steve,

There is no reason to hold grudges.  Bobby was instrumental in helping us understand and make connections that brought us the sensation from Japan known here as Dice-K.  And no matter what his later value to the team, his 18-3 season was of great help.

Bobby should have been kept as a consultant and not bridged over to manager.  My Mets fans friends were universally anti-Bobby as a manager.

Give the old man a ring.  We just lost our shared treasure in Zim.  What could it hurt?

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was a good season for Dice.  Give Bobby the ring

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I dont think so....

As always - 100% correct!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I don't think so either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It was a tough situation for Valentine. He was brought in in response to the great collapse in Sept. 2011 and the subsequent revelations of player misbehavior. He was supposed to tighten the reins. When he tried to do that, the players rebelled. Bobby did not have the support of the G.M. Francona was a popular manager with the players as well as most fans. They felt, rightly so, that he had been treated unfairly by management. Valentine became caught in the middle of the whole mess. He has a big mouth and some of the things he said only made things worse. The situation continued to deteriorate all year, culminating in the trade with L.A. and the firing of Valentine. The whole period should be remembered as an example of how not to do things. I think management learned from the experience. As for Valentine, he is a good man and a good baseball guy. He doesn't deserve all the blame , ridicule and vitriol for that dismal period in Sox history. There is plenty of blame to go around. That includes him, Tito, management, coaches and players.  I say , give him the ring. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I would think not !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

And what if the sox finish this year with a worse record then two years ago?  Does Bobby look a little better?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a tough situation for Valentine. He was brought in in response to the great collapse in Sept. 2011 and the subsequent revelations of player misbehavior. He was supposed to tighten the reins. When he tried to do that, the players rebelled. Bobby did not have the support of the G.M. Francona was a popular manager with the players as well as most fans. They felt, rightly so, that he had been treated unfairly by management. Valentine became caught in the middle of the whole mess. He has a big mouth and some of the things he said only made things worse. The situation continued to deteriorate all year, culminating in the trade with L.A. and the firing of Valentine. The whole period should be remembered as an example of how not to do things. I think management learned from the experience. As for Valentine, he is a good man and a good baseball guy. He doesn't deserve all the blame , ridicule and vitriol for that dismal period in Sox history. There is plenty of blame to go around. That includes him, Tito, management, coaches and players.  I say , give him the ring. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Who cares ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who cares ?

[/QUOTE]

Normally I would not, but if the sox keep losing I will be asking what color I should paint my bathroom.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who cares ?

[/QUOTE]

Normally I would not, but if the sox keep losing I will be asking what color I should paint my bathroom.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you are asking whether your support for the Sox is dependent on whether they are winning or losing, perish the thought.  Be a Sox supporter when things are tough as well as when they are good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who cares ?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you are asking whether your support for the Sox is dependent on whether they are winning or losing, perish the thought.  Be a Sox supporter when things are tough as well as when they are good.

[/QUOTE]

I have always been a supporter no matter what.  I supported Bobby V right up to his meltdown in LA.  When they lose, one has to find other ways to stay interested.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

And what if the sox finish this year with a worse record then two years ago?  Does Bobby look a little better?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's not possible to compare anything to Valentine.  I've never seen anyone so overmatched.  He gave the appearance of never having been in a major league clubhouse before.

On the clubhouse side, he was causing trouble well before the season began.  He complained publicly about not being able to contact CC, disclosed personal conversations with Beckett, told the press that Doubront had no out pitch, had AL pitchers practicing bunting, and said Youk was not into the game anymore a few games into the season.

On the field side, he might've been worse.  In maybe the 2nd game, he had a choice between pitching to Fielder, or walking him and pitching to Young.  He didn't know Hendriks was a righty, which means he didn't set up his position players in advance.

Then, in arguably the worst decision in the history of BB, he intentionally walked Matsui to load the bases.  Matsui was so bad by that point that he was released a week later and never played again.

I can forget pretty easily, but he is not getting any rewards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's not possible to compare anything to Valentine.  I've never seen anyone so overmatched.  He gave the appearance of never having been in a major league clubhouse before.

On the clubhouse side, he was causing trouble well before the season began.  He complained publicly about not being able to contact CC, disclosed personal conversations with Beckett, told the press that Doubront had no out pitch, had AL pitchers practicing bunting, and said Youk was not into the game anymore a few games into the season.

On the field side, he might've been worse.  In maybe the 2nd game, he had a choice between pitching to Fielder, or walking him and pitching to Young.  He didn't know Hendriks was a righty, which means he didn't set up his position players in advance.

Then, in arguably the worst decision in the history of BB, he intentionally walked Matsui to load the bases.  Matsui was so bad by that point that he was released a week later and never played again.

I can forget pretty easily, but he is not getting any rewards.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of what you said, however, Farrell is nothing to write home about either. In fact, the only time Farrell isn't out-managed is when he's playing Cleveland.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I agree with most of what you said, however, Farrell is nothing to write home about either. In fact, the only time Farrell isn't out-managed is when he's playing Cleveland.

I've had my issues with some of Farrell's moves this year, but the discussion of whether or not Tito is the best manager in BB was settled last year.  Time for you to accept history's judgement and move on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to expitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

[/QUOTE]

And with all that said…He did a horrible job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No. Farrell would look worse then he did before, Bobby would still look horrible, and he always will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

They give those rings out like candy, sports and radio announcers even get them.  What did don or jerry do to help the sox win?  Heck, the beer guy probably got one ;0)

I don't think valentine did anything to deserve one but neither did a lot of people who got one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

They give those rings out like candy, sports and radio announcers even get them. What did don or jerry do to help the sox win? Heck, the beer guy probably got one ;0)

I don't think valentine did anything to deserve one but neither did a lot of people who got one.

But at least they were employees.  My understanding that there is a huge ring for the players, and then a smaller and cheaper replica for other employees.  I just don't understand why giving one to BV would even be considered.  You have to at least be an employee.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They give those rings out like candy, sports and radio announcers even get them.  What did don or jerry do to help the sox win?  Heck, the beer guy probably got one ;0)

[/QUOTE]

That is funny and true.  I don't think he deserves one but I thought I would throw it out for discussion.  Bottom line is: a bad team is a bad team and often the coach has little to do with it.  Bobby V gave way too many interview for me and he gave all of  them live. But the players did not like him for the beginning and Bobby was the blame for the poor season.

This year we basically have the same team with the same coach as last year.  So what is the excuse now?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

I've had my issues with some of Farrell's moves this year, but the discussion of whether or not Tito is the best manager in BB was settled last year.  Time for you to accept history's judgement and move on.

[/QUOTE]

History's judgement? Farkell and 'coma both stink as field managers. Anyone who defends either of them is baseball challenged. Like you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

They give those rings out like candy, sports and radio announcers even get them. What did don or jerry do to help the sox win? Heck, the beer guy probably got one ;0)

But at least they were employees.  My understanding that there is a huge ring for the players, and then a smaller and cheaper replica for other employees.  I just don't understand why giving one to BV would even be considered.  You have to at least be an employee.

[/QUOTE]

If you're on the payroll, you're an employee. Ipso facto.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That is funny and true.  I don't think he deserves one but I thought I would throw it out for discussion.  Bottom line is: a bad team is a bad team and often the coach has little to do with it.  Bobby V gave way too many interview for me and he gave all of  them live. But the players did not like him for the beginning and Bobby was the blame for the poor season.

This year we basically have the same team with the same coach as last year.  So what is the excuse now?

[/QUOTE]

Last year the SOX had an overachieving team like no other. So overachieving that they were able to carry the managerial-weak Farrell with them. The only person on the team that hasn't changed from last year is Farrell.